stitches

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, The Fish said:

Looking into the crystal ball, it's not hard to see a future where JB is in a place like AZ being okay and Mariota has washed out due to injury.. Useless prediction is useless.. 

I'd rather see a future where JB is warming the bench for the Colts.

11 minutes ago, Superman said:

We don't know what their coaching staff was doing, but there have been comments from the players over the last couple months, including after the Chiefs comeback, that the coaching staff was overly conservative and not coaching to Mariota's abilities. I got the impression that he kind of took things over in the second half of the Chiefs game, and that's how they always want to play, but Mularkey was holding them back. 

And look at Deshaun Watson's similar limitations as a pro passer. But the Texans used him in a way that played to his strengths, rather than stifling him. Both of them will have to develop to have sustained success, but I think both of them have the tools and the smarts.

As for footwork, what I mean is I think his footwork isn't going to hold him back. He's still working on it, for sure. Hopefully for him he doesn't stall out, like Cam Newton has. 

In terms of their coaching staff, it's not that hard to tell what they were trying to do if you look at what Mariota was doing in college vs. what he's been asked to do at the pro level. We can speculate that Mariota started taking control over things in the second half but we may never actually know. What we do know is that he's not asked to do a lot which to me points back to how he wasn't asked to do a lot at the college level either.

Now, does he have the ability like Watson to develop into a good passer? Sure, a lot of QB's have that ability. It just depends on coaching and other factors as well. For me, the jury is still out on him being a "good" QB.

1 hour ago, BleedBlu8792 said:

I would suggest reading the rules and getting a better understanding as to why the Colts CANNOT offer/agree anything to McDaniels until the Patriots season is over.

Please.  You get a commitment from him like the 49er's and the Lions just did for Patricia.  Then you sign him when their season is over.  Ballard left the door open by keeping Vrabel as a finalist and wanting to do second interviews.  Maybe he has already committed to us who knows. But if he was the guy they wanted and didn't nail it down with a commitment then Ballard messed up and he has to go to plan B.  

2 minutes ago, The Fish said:

I normally wouldn't entertain the comparison, but in a world where Bortles, Foles and Keenum are in their respective conference games..

In the same way RG3 and Cousins aren't comparable at all and yet there was a choice there, I'm not sure choosing between the two is as clear cut as you do. I have no idea what exactly JB is as a player in terms of potential so I wouldn't factor that as much, but I think he can survive the season. I think Mariota is too dependent on running and he can't take that abuse and stay fully effective and frankly I'm not blown away with his passing either.

As a strictly talent issue Mariota is better, but I'm only going to agree because I see it said so much that he's very talented.

Looking into the crystal ball, it's not hard to see a future where JB is in a place like AZ being okay and Mariota has washed out due to injury.. Useless prediction is useless.. 

Setting aside hypotheticals (as reasonable as they might be), I feel the comparison is flawed because the players you're mentioning don't compare. RG3 had basically zero refinement as a pocket passer, never went through progressions, was limited to half field reads... he was basically a good arm on fast legs. Mariota is miles ahead of RG3 as a passer, smarter as a runner, and better built to handle contact.

Also, Cousins developed dramatically as a QB from top to bottom. That's development that Brissett has not made -- if anything Brissett regressed as the season went on, but that's not to say that he can't develop as Cousins had. End of the day, they are not similar as players, though. Brissett has much slower footwork and a much longer delivery, and I happen to think his decision making is awful at times.

I say this as someone who has watched a lot of all four of the QBs you're talking about. That doesn't mean me an authority, but I'm not basing my opinion on what other people say, it's based on my own evaluation of them, from college to now. Brissett is, at best, an average starter (assuming he doesn't suddenly unlock some cheat code and made dramatic improvement); Mariota is, at best, a franchise QB.

But if you were to rely on the general evaluations of the two players, I don't think you'd find anyone who has watched them both who would place Brissett and Mariota anywhere close to each other. 

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

The Houston Chronicle's John McClain reports the Titans will interview Texans DC Mike Vrabel for their head coaching vacancy.

Vrabel has also interviewed with the Lions and Colts, and he is thought to be a finalist for the Colts job along with Patriots OC Josh McDaniels, with whom the Titans have also been linked. Vrabel's defense had a rough season in 2017, but that has not slowed down his march to a head coaching job. Even if it is not this cycle, he should land one in the next couple years.
Related: Texans

Maybe the Titans don't feel McDaniels is a lock.  They still have to interview a minority as well.  

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

You get the commitment from McDaniels like the 49er's and Lions did with their coaches.  If he didn't get it and he was their top target then he messed up. 

even if he gets any sort of commitment, nothing is official until the contract is signed. which means he can choose to change his mind and go elsewhere 

1 minute ago, Superman said:

RG3 had basically zero refinement as a pocket passer, never went through progressions, was limited to half field reads... he was basically a good arm on fast legs.

At least coming out of college, that was essentially the view on Mariota. He never had to go through progressions, as his system had him do half field reads, and had accuracy issues. I wouldn't say Mariota is miles ahead of RG3, but I think he is absolutely in a better place than RG3 ever got to (RG3 had a higher ceiling, but a way lower floor). He still has a long way to go, development-wise, if he ever hopes to become an elite QB.

2 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Maybe the Titans don't feel McDaniels is a lock.  They still have to interview a minority as well.  

I think if nothing else there is enough evidence to suggest he’s snything but a lock there and at least according to some he’s a long shot because he’s too far down the road with the Colts.  Wait and see that’s all we can do.  

6 minutes ago, CR91 said:

even if he gets any sort of commitment, nothing is official until the contract is signed. which means he can choose to change his mind and go elsewhere 

Exactly!!! You can say all the nice things in the form of a verbal commitment, blah, blah, blah but unless you sign on the dotted line, nothing is final.

Plus, if you are an organization and the first candidate you interviewed for just 1 vacancy (say McDaniels) is someone that you are in love with and have expressed it to that first candidate that you'd like them to be part of your organization, but you have asked 3 others to show up for interviews, what do you do? Do you say "Oh boy, we loved our first one so much that I do not feel like dragging the others along"??? No, you follow through as a professional company/organization and give those guys interviewed their due time to make their case, even if you know fully well your first candidate is the front runner.

The reason is professionalism, following through with the process makes an impression on those interviewed, and you will have a Plan B, should Plan A go south.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

This says they can't talk to him until the 28th. I thought it was the 22nd. 

If this report is true, even better for the Colts.

I didn't even bother to read what's being quoted here  as I know it's wrong. Teams are allowed to interview coaches during the "bye week" of the SB. That period ENDS when the team arrives in the SB city. So that 28th date is probably the date that no one CAN talk to him rather than "start" talking to him.

23 minutes ago, CR91 said:

if the titans have to wait until the bye weekend to interview mcdaniels, then they have no shot of getting him

They can't. That interview is for teams that have already conducted a first interview. Titans would have to wait until after the SB.

13 minutes ago, CR91 said:

That's right.  Patricia could also back out on the Lions.  But when you make a commitment your agent is most likely involved and everything is worked out.  In our case Ballard and McDaniels have the same agent.  He wouldn't only be sticking it to the Colts but to his agents client and also a man he has a relationship with.  So much for that relationship if he flips.  I would think that's something he would not like to do to either man after an agreement is reached.  But that's just me.  My word is golden they used to say.  But in today's world probably not so much.

17 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I didn't even bother to read what's being quoted here  as I know it's wrong. Teams are allowed to interview coaches during the "bye week" of the SB. That period ENDS when the team arrives in the SB city. So that 28th date is probably the date that no one CAN talk to him rather than "start" talking to him.

That's what I thought. The 28th is the start of SB week.

1 minute ago, csmopar said:

Source?

It's an NFL rule. https://www.sbnation.com/2017/1/10/14038902/nfl-teams-hiring-new-head-coach-must-follow-rules

Says this: 

An assistant coach whose team is participating in the Super Bowl, who has previously interviewed for another club’s head coaching job, may have a second interview with such club no later than the Sunday preceding the Super Bowl.

2 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

Awesome! Thank you very much. I missed that rule.

that said. Titans really may have screwed the pooch here by waiting so long. They can't interview some of the top candidates. That said, still doesn't mean they can't do some under the table deal.

16 minutes ago, IndyScribe said:

They can't. That interview is for teams that have already conducted a first interview. Titans would have to wait until after the SB.

Who says they have to interview him?  Maybe they just call his agent to see what it would take to get him there.