Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

We're not Trading down this Draft

Shadow_Creek

People are probably thinking about Mr. irsays comment when he mentioned the colts would get a special kind of player in the first round. However lets not forget that our GM after last years Draft fired pretty much all of the scouts that were under grigs. That being said, with this new staff we have i just don't see Ballard hiring them to just stand back and applaud without doing there part. No i believe that he hired them to find the right pieces and the best possible choices to pick at 3

12 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

People are probably thinking about Mr. irsays comment when he mentioned the colts would get a special kind of player in the first round. However lets not forget that our GM after last years Draft fired pretty much all of the scouts that were under grigs. That being said, with this new staff we have i just don't see Ballard hiring them to just stand back and applaud without doing there part. No i believe that he hired them to find the right pieces and the best possible choices to pick at 3

Maybe that’s true but you can’t predict things in the NFL. You never know who may call with an offer you can’t refuse. IMO its very possible we trade the 3rd pick. 

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

It doesn't matter where you pick...   first or 32nd, scouts do the same job.

The Colts are a team in need of a lot of talent, and one way to get it is to trade back a little and collect high picks.   And maybe even trade back another time and collect a few more picks.

Is it possible that we stay at 3 and take Barkley or Chubb?   Yes.   I'd say the odds now are 50-50.    But that also means we could move back some to take Nelson, or Williams, or McGlinchey or a number of other players.    I think it's just as likely. 

Don't bet the house that we stay put.  There's a decent chance we trade back...   

The thing is though Ballard is transferring some of his scouting knowledge over. For example, he mentioned he and the Kansas City Chiefs had their eye on Brisett, so it made it easier for Ballard to trade for him. It could be Ballard has his eyes on a number of people in the 2nd round he'd prefer having.

48 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

I believe the chances are much higher that we do trade down.

Scouts are not only looking at where we are picking. We have a big board, and we'll move where we think the value is. 

Look at last year when Malik fell to us. There was very little chance we were trading that pick.

Scroll down to the part about Indy.

http://footballdungeon.com/2017/04/day-1-grades/

Hooker-Colts-300x200.jpg

Hooker-Colts-Zoom-1-300x200.png

45 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This team is devoid of talent. The need to pick high and hit on that pick. BPA!

"Devoid of talent" could just as easily be an argument for trading down for more picks to fill all the holes. 

What if I told you you could move down 3-4 spots and still get Barkley or Chubb? 

It changes things if Ballard is very high on 2 non QB's as it gives us trade down flexibility to still get an amazing prospect due to the QB needy teams at the top. 

If everything holds and Cleveland, New York, Denver, and the Jets all still have needs at QB (Alex Smith traded to Bills (?) or not any of the previously mentioned teams it could work out to the 6th overall pick being the 2nd non QB pick (One of Chubb or Barkley)

Overall, I get what you're saying but the manner of need for QB's this year is crazy and the way it worked out could be very favourable for us in a trade down scenario. 

23 minutes ago, Buck Showalter said:

Unless of course the opportunity presents itself to slide back just a few spots, get your guy who isn't a QB or RB named Barkely & add addition picks... Then its genius...

Just get the o lineman you need first in the draft and everything else will fall in place

1 hour ago, Mr.Debonair said:

This team is not devoid of talent.  It’s Luck, and two FA linemen away from the battling for the division.  Add in an edge rusher and RB from the draft and it’s pretty formidable.  

Most likely we will trade, and if it’s to the Jets we get the edge rusher in the first and a choice of three RBs not name Barkley in the second.  Maybe an ILB at 2 too.  

5 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Just get the o lineman you need first in the draft and everything else will fall in place

Right & in this years draft that lineman, Nelson, may be there at 4, 5, 6, or 7 all teams who may be potential trade partners, especially considering how the first two picks shake out...

The draft is a fluid thing & saying that to even consider a trade would be stupid, without knowing the context, is, well also not the most prudent thing...

I get the fact that Barkley is a rare talent but we do not need him Nelson or Chubb would instantly make a hole we have on our team better Barkley would make our RB position that isn't a hole better while defense and Oline continued to lack fixing we will trade back to #6 grab Nelson or Chubb then take a RB in the 2nd or 3rd round and be just fine 

35 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

This team is not devoid of talent.  It’s Luck, and two FA linemen away from the battling for the division.  Add in an edge rusher and RB from the draft and it’s pretty formidable.  

Most likely we will trade, and if it’s to the Jets we get the edge rusher in the first and a choice of three RBs not name Barkley in the second.  Maybe an ILB at 2 too.  

LBs and Safety needs upgrade. Wr position is poor. None of the Lineman on this team are top tier. The pass rush outside is Sheard doesn’t exist

2 hours ago, Mr.Debonair said:

Devoid of talent?  We have some good serviceable players on this roster.  No team looses 5 or 6 games in the 4th quarter by not having some talent to get that lead in the first three quarters. You are overlooking the injury factor.

Watching this college championship game, Roquan Smith (MLB for Georgia) looks like a heckuva football player.  Don’t know if his skill set will transition to a 3-4 system but he’s all over the field.  Better than what we got manning the middle...  

3 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Ok. Not to be * but isn't that what all GM's hire scout teams for?

49 minutes ago, Mr.Debonair said:

LBs and Safety needs upgrade. Wr position is poor. None of the Lineman on this team are top tier. The pass rush outside is Sheard doesn’t exist

Safety’s are fine, Hooker, Geathers, Farley.  Need one ILB.  

Read the the rest of my post, I’m too busy watching the game to have to say it again.  

7 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

true but what i'm trying to say is he didn't hire them so that he could just trade down the 3rd pick. he chose them to find the best player available to take at 3

I'm not seeing your point here.....  Ballard had no earthly idea we would be picking at 3, and if you think every scouting staff in the league doesn't prepare and study for every possible contingency every prospect, every round..... every FA, and even players who are not yet FA's heading into the off-season, well....  not to be a jerk, but you would be mistaken.

4 hours ago, Shadow_Creek said:

Picking at 3 would be easy for Ballard , though. If you really want to test the quality of your scouts , and not have them "stand back and applaud" , trading down would be the far more beneficial decision towards testing their capabilities. 

Your logic makes no sense. 

1 hour ago, Smonroe said:

Safety’s are fine, Hooker, Geathers, Farley.  Need one ILB.  

Read the the rest of my post, I’m too busy watching the game to have to say it again.  

Sorry but safeties are not fine...    you listed three and one of them has a bad neck so who knows his future?

We will need to add one through the draft or FA.

The need may not be as strong as ILB, but there IS a need...

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Sorry but safeties are not fine...    you listed three and one of them has a bad neck so who knows his future?

We will need to add one through the draft or FA.

The need may not be as strong as ILB, but there IS a need...

bad neck? Geathers wouldn't have played the remainder of the season if his neck was still causing him issues. 

2 minutes ago, Shadow_Creek said:

bad neck? Geathers wouldn't have played the remainder of the season if his neck was still causing him issues. 

The neck is healed from surgery.     But once you've had your neck operated on,  your playing on borrowed time.

Who knows how much longer Geathers can play?      Maybe 10 more years?      Maybe one more year.

I would not feel secure about that positon if I were the GM.     I doubt Chris Ballard does....

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

The neck is healed from surgery.     But once you've had your neck operated on,  your playing on borrowed time.

Who knows how much longer Geathers can play?      Maybe 10 more years?      Maybe one more year.

I would not feel secure about that positon if I were the GM.     I doubt Chris Ballard does....

ok i agree with you about that we definitely need to replace butler.

13 hours ago, RealityIsLuck said:

You better be kidding....

Why would I be kidding. Williams as a Left OT gave up only one sack his Jr. Year. Watch his tape he is at least the equal to Nelson except he is a Tackle. Most drafts now have Conner Williams off the board before Nelson. 

15 hours ago, Smonroe said:

This is correct!

12 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Agree might be no years?

I'd have to assume that Ballard doesn't know who he's drafting or whether or not we are going to trade until we see who the first two picks are... or at least after FA when he knows what the team needs are...

I'm sure he has run the various scenarios in his mind, but it would be crazy to (for an illustrative example) sign a RB like Le'Veon Bell, then draft Barkely at #3.... No way to know, yet.