Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gruden (Colts) Rumors Resurface

BlueShoe

While many believe Jon Gruden will be the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders, there are some whispers of Gruden coming to Indy (NFL Network). We know that Gruden, Peyton, and Irsay were on Jim's private plane last year talking about this. The door is wide open. 

Gruden is absolutely serious about returning to coaching. He has already started forming his staff, including Rich Gannon as his quarterbacks coach. 

We could possibly be on the verge of witnessing another Dick Vermeil.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If Oakland is dumb enough to offer him partial ownership, no way he doesnt end up there.

It is not really ownership. It is monetary based on the value of the franchise. 

But no real ownership.

If the Raiders gave a coach ownership then the rest of the owners might exile Mark Davis. 

This gets annoying after a while.

Everyone and their mother will supposedly be a candidate now.

So supposedly we want McDaniels, Toub, Gruden and Harbaugh so far.

Can they just write an article that says everyone is a possibility? Makes it easier to follow.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

Can they just write an article that says everyone is a possibility? Makes it easier to follow.

This is more than smoke.

Gruden is serious about coaching NOW!

Discussions of whether he ends up in Oakland, Indy, or wherever is justified now. Before, it was just speculation. Big difference!

Just now, BlueShoe said:

This is more than smoke.

Gruden is serious about coaching NOW!

Discussions of whether he ends up in Oakland, Indy, or wherever is justified now. Before, it was just speculation. Big difference!

I bet it ends up being no one mentioned..lol

5 minutes ago, IinD said:

My 95 yr old Mother hasn't watched a football game since I graduated in 1972, so she's not up to date on the spider 2 y banana.....

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

Very likely. 

I would rather go with someone like Pat Shumer. 

I like the low-key, put your head down, and get the job done approach. 

I could understand that hire.

I wasn't poo pooing your thread. It just really gets annoying because we're going to hear about a new candidate who is definitely, maybe, probably going to be our coach.

We still haven't gotten the Shaw or Cowher reports yet so I'll throw those in here.

I've only seen Ian Rapaport talk about last offseason concerning Gruden to the Colts, that Irsay thought he was close to getting him. Seemed like he was just making the comparison that the Raiders think they have him but it might not pan out, just like it didn't for the Colts.

Or did I miss him actually saying the Colts could be going for him again?

1 minute ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

I've only seen Ian Rapaport talk about last offseason concerning Gruden to the Colts. Right now it's only Gruden to the Raiders rumors.

Ian Rapoport brought up the possible connection with Gruden and Indy about an hour ago, live on the NFL Network. 

2 minutes ago, IinD said:

I could understand that hire.

I wasn't poo pooing your thread. It just really gets annoying because we're going to hear about a new candidate who is definitely, maybe, probably going to be our coach.

We still haven't gotten the Shaw or Cowher reports yet so I'll throw those in here.

I agree! :D 

I think most Colts fans just want to get this process over with so we can go on our honeymoon. If we choose McDaniels then I am asking for an immediate annulment though!

4 minutes ago, BlueShoe said:

Ian Rapoport brought up the possible connection with Gruden and Indy a bout an hour ago, live on the NFL Network. 

Ahhh I just saw the scroll on the bottom while he talks "Gruden as potential candidate for Colts?"

Yet while he's talking I got the impression that he was just comparing the situations, that it seemed like the Colts were going to get Gruden but didn't, and that this could happen with the Raiders.

Wouldn't be surprised if Irsay was interested though.

1 minute ago, BlueShoe said:

I agree! :D 

I think most Colts fans just want to get this process over with so we can go on our honeymoon. If we choose McDaniels then I am asking for an immediate annulment though!

I hate Mc'D also because of his stink of that organization, but I'd love if he could maximize Andrew with the same type stuff NE runs.

We're definitely standing on a razors edge honestly. Make the wrong pick here and we've essentially wasted the rest of Luck's career.

5 minutes ago, GwinnettColt said:

I would support this but with the idea of Oakland, I think Gruden would take the Raiders over the Colts. 

i think he would too, i dont want him anyway

i stayed in tampa for a while when he was there and followed the bucs.  wasnt impressed, he was an offensive coach that won because of the defense he didnt build 

A coach who is wanted enough that he can pick his job is looking at three things - ownership that’s willing to win (spend money), control over player and coaching personnel, and the team’s QB.

What they’ll get paid is going to be comparatively the same. 

11 minutes ago, IinD said:

We're definitely standing on a razors edge honestly. Make the wrong pick here and we've essentially wasted the rest of Luck's career.

Correct. Hiring the wrong person will have long-term implications on the Colts. 

Anybody who says that this is not possible and they can "guarantee" Gruden wont be out next coach doesnt know what they are talking about. Gruden is serious about coaching again, he has began forming his staff and did discuss coaching for the Colts with Irsay last year. So to say you "know" and can "guarantee" is ignorant.

No one here honestly knows what’s going on at West 56th street.  While I would be surprised if the Colts hired Gruden I won’t completely rule it out either.  There were reports Irsay made a real push to try to get him last year if he is really flirting with the Raiders it’s not a reach to think Irsay wouldn’t make another run.  Also rather Ballard would want him or not none of us really know that either.  My guess is Irsay and Ballard are going to work together just like most owners and GMs do when there is a head coach opening in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, Boiler_Colt said:

If Oakland is dumb enough to offer him partial ownership, no way he doesnt end up there.

I heard on the Radio last night that in order for him to get partial ownership the other NFL owners would have to approve it just like anyone else who becomes a partial owner in the NFL and that they could very well vote it down because they don’t want to set the precedent of coaches getting a stake of ownership in the team.

I think the final hiring might give some real insight into who controlled the choice, Irsay or Ballard. Of course Irsay has the final word but it might show how much he put his faith in Ballard.

If it ends up Gruden or Harbaugh (which I doubt either one will end up HC) it likely means Irsay controlled. If it ends up Toub or Nagy, the Ballard was given the freedom.

My personal choice would be Pat Shurmer

Apparently from what I gather from this tweet is that because Jimbo couldn't get Gruden and Manning he decided to stick with Pagano and hire Ballard despite the fact that he pretty much has no faith in Pagano.

Personally I'm okay with Gruden/Manning not coming here there are other better options out there but he decided to waste another season with Pagano because he couldn't get a "name" is disconcerting.

Which makes me wonder if its related to Luck's health and he knew it was a lost season months before it began.

And Gruden would choose the Raiders over Indy. Its warmer, better roster, and Carr is probably a lot healthier than Luck is.

5 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I think the final hiring might give some real insight into who controlled the choice, Irsay or Ballard. Of course Irsay has the final word but it might show how much he put his faith in Ballard.

If it ends up Gruden or Harbaugh (which I doubt either one will end up HC) it likely means Irsay controlled. If it ends up Toub or Nagy, the Ballard was given the freedom.

My personal choice would be Pat Shurmer

Since the Vikings have a bye week, teams can interview Shurmur this week only (then not until out of playoffs)., and Mike Zimmer will approve it.  Detroit Lions are first up with rumors about Cardinals, and Bears to ask as well.  We'll know this week if we have any interest.

13 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Since the Vikings have a bye week, teams can interview Shurmur this week only (then not until out of playoffs)., and Mike Zimmer will approve it.  Detroit Lions are first up with rumors about Cardinals, and Bears to ask as well.  We'll know this week if we have any interest.

If that's how it works for the bye week teams them I would think we would try to interview McDaniels this week. 

14 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I would hope that there is at least some interest.  Not saying he SHOULD be hired, but I think an interview would be prudent.  I wouldn't be against his hire if Chris thinks it is the right move.

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

I like Shurmer I wouldn't be upset with that hire at all. 

9 hours ago, IinD said:

I hate Mc'D also because of his stink of that organization, but I'd love if he could maximize Andrew with the same type stuff NE runs.

I couldn't agree more this is very important for Luck's career no doubt.