Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Gruden (Colts) Rumors Resurface

BlueShoe

9 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

While many believe Jon Gruden will be the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders, there are some whispers of Gruden coming to Indy (NFL Network). We know that Gruden, Peyton, and Irsay were on Jim's private plane last year talking about this. The door is wide open. 

Gruden is absolutely serious about returning to coaching. He has already started forming his staff, including Rich Gannon as his quarterbacks coach. 

We could possibly be on the verge of witnessing another Dick Vermeil.

I could see Gruden calling Luck up and asking hey Luck how's that shoulder. 

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

8 hours ago, Buddy Lee said:

I think the final hiring might give some real insight into who controlled the choice, Irsay or Ballard. Of course Irsay has the final word but it might show how much he put his faith in Ballard.

If it ends up Gruden or Harbaugh (which I doubt either one will end up HC) it likely means Irsay controlled. If it ends up Toub or Nagy, the Ballard was given the freedom.

My personal choice would be Pat Shurmer

I agree I like Schumer,

I don't much like the idea of Gruden.  It's a big name hire but that's it.  Dude hasn't coached in 10 years.  He hasn't coached under the current practice rules or current CBA.

Game changes too fast IMO to be bringing back someone from 10 years ago.  

21 hours ago, IinD said:

This gets annoying after a while.

Everyone and their mother will supposedly be a candidate now.

So supposedly we want McDaniels, Toub, Gruden and Harbaugh so far.

Can they just write an article that says everyone is a possibility? Makes it easier to follow.

Get used to it it's going to be like this for a while the circus is in town!!:headspin:

22 hours ago, Indeee said:

The gruden stuff and harbough stuff is garbage. If Ballard is in fact going to select the next HC neither of these 2 will even be considered, I can almost guarantee it

I would agree that it isn't likely - but saying I can almost guarantee it means you can't.  

39 minutes ago, pgt_rob said:

Why are a lot of people head over heals for Gruden? I don't understand the hype.

My theory is that it’s because he’s a big name and he has won a Super Bowl before.

personally I think he’s been out of coaching for too long and was failing towards the end of his time in Tampa and that sorta just gets dismissed.  It’s sorta like how the media was like you have to have a team in LA and just over looked all the reasons why there wasn’t a team in LA and only focused on the fact that it was a major media market (city version of being a big name).  Now that football is back we are seeing why it left in the first place.  The samething might happen with Gruden.  

3 minutes ago, King Colt said:

Well it appears he is going to the Raider even though I posted it ain't gonna happen. I still don't buy it............yet.

He pretty much (in a round about way) said as much in an interview with some locals.  Something to the effect of " I think I am being considered and I hope so" kind of thing ... paraphrasing.  

I could dig it up, but I am sure anyone can with a simple Google search.

17 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

He pretty much (in a round about way) said as much in an interview with some locals.  Something to the effect of " I think I am being considered and I hope so" kind of thing ... paraphrasing.  

What convinced me he would never take any coaching job was his interview on Mike & Mike a month + ago. He sounded so sincere when he claimed he would never give up his soft job(s) to go back to coaching. Maybe it's all about the money. Ya think?

54 minutes ago, King Colt said:

What convinced me he would never take any coaching job was his interview on Mike & Mike a month + ago. He sounded so sincere when he claimed he would never give up his soft job(s) to go back to coaching. Maybe it's all about the money. Ya think?

Actually,

I think he has coaching in his pedigree and that is what he really wants to do.  He is hungry.  I think that the requirements and rigors of being a head coach feed his mind.  He has had the cush job now for what 8 or 9 years?  He wants to get back on the field and frankly, I think that he will be a much much better coach than he ever was before.

I believe he has kept up with film study of personnel, processes, trends etc. and has a good grip on what the game is all about now.  I think he has most likely constructed a new playbook/ system based on his front row view of the NFL for the past decade and what works vs what doesn't.

I think those that feel he is average will be not only surprised, but proven wrong and that he will do very well for the Raiders and it will be sooner rather than later.

As far as his interview with peanut M&M's...

... at that point he had to deny any rumblings of him returning to coach.  But now that Del Rio is gone, (planned dismissal based on JG's interest level)  there is no question in my mind that he has been waiting all along for THE best scenario/ opportunity to get back into the NFL as a head coach.  He isn't stupid and he sees what is going on across the league.

I also believe JMV when he says that Gruden was ready to come here last year and that PM wasn't.  Had Peyton been offered what he wanted and/ or had he felt more comfortable taking on a role of GM/ president; we likely would have seen that duo this year and not Ballard/ Pagano.

Time will tell, but that is my take on it.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:36 PM, King Colt said:

Well it appears he is going to the Raider even though I posted it ain't gonna happen. I still don't buy it............yet.

On 1/2/2018 at 5:42 PM, BR-549 said:

6 hours ago, King Colt said:

Gruden just switched gears this morning talking to Trey Wingo he said it is up to the Raiders-sounds like he is ready to take the offer. I'm a little surprised at this.

They have to go through the process.  In the end, Gruden will be Raiders HC once more.  Look for Rich Gannon to come out of the broadcast booth and join him In some capacity, too; IMO.

On 2018. 01. 01. at 5:17 PM, BlueShoe said:

While many believe Jon Gruden will be the next head coach of the Oakland Raiders, there are some whispers of Gruden coming to Indy (NFL Network). We know that Gruden, Peyton, and Irsay were on Jim's private plane last year talking about this. The door is wide open. 

Gruden is absolutely serious about returning to coaching. He has already started forming his staff, including Rich Gannon as his quarterbacks coach. 

I didn't want to share this article from Brad Wells, because it's too fictionary for my taste, but since you brough up this subject, whatever. :) Here it is: What’s next for the Indianapolis Colts in 2018: A new coach and possibly a new team CEO

It's a long read. To make it short, Wells talks about Jim Irsay stepping down and his daugher Carlie inheriting the CEO position. According to Wells, Carlie is obsessed with the idea of bringing Manning back to Indy as a front office executive. She wants Manning to be her co-CEO or something like that. According to Well's source, they came very close to saying yes last offseason, and while it didn't happen, Carlie keept pursuing him ever since. They've met when Manning was in Indy for the statue ceremony, etc.

Wells keeps talking, about Manning and Gruden, Ballard's possible role if it happens, etc. It's interesting reading, even if it's nothing but fiction.

2 hours ago, Peterk2011 said:

I didn't want to share this article from Brad Wells, because it's too fictionary for my taste, but since you brough up this subject, whatever. :) Here it is: What’s next for the Indianapolis Colts in 2018: A new coach and possibly a new team CEO

It's a long read. To make it short, Wells talks about Jim Irsay stepping down and his daugher Carlie inheriting the CEO position. According to Wells, Carlie is obsessed with the idea of bringing Manning back to Indy as a front office executive. She wants Manning to be her co-CEO or something like that. According to Well's source, they came very close to saying yes last offseason, and while it didn't happen, Carlie keept pursuing him ever since. They've met when Manning was in Indy for the statue ceremony, etc.

Wells keeps talking, about Manning and Gruden, Ballard's possible role if it happens, etc. It's interesting reading, even if it's nothing but fiction.

Yeah sure.

Manning most likely wants ownership Carlie I doubt would give that up to anyone.

There's nothing to see here

(this isn't directed at you OP just a general comment where Brad figures he's genius by switching Jimbo's name with Carlie's as if that suddenly changes things.)

6 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Yeah sure.

Manning most likely wants ownership Carlie I doubt would give that up to anyone.

There's nothing to see here

(this isn't directed at you OP just a general comment where Brad figures he's genius by switching Jimbo's name with Carlie's as if that suddenly changes things.)

Just have an itch to comment.
 Switching names. Maybe Jim would shut the ___ up if she had his spot, on paper.
 And quit saying so much nonsense that makes him look like a liar to the ticket buyers and well, the fans, media, WORLD.
 Just thinking out loud.
 Your intuition about what Manning would want to be CEO is.....
 What did Elway get? Means nothing really to this situation, but interesting to some.
  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/elway-passed-ownership-stake-broncos-lost-millions-article-1.2520465

Well, since speculation costs ZERO, here is mine.
 Say Manning likes the title and job description. She thinks it will be a very good long term business decision
for him to lead the business. Considering Jim's Mind, Peyton's MIND, well...
 And Manning gets 10% of the Franchise for $150M. She is flush with $$$ and is Happy,  He is Happy. Go Colts!

On 1/1/2018 at 10:17 AM, BlueShoe said:

We could possibly be on the verge of witnessing another Dick Vermeil.

If Gruden was coming we would have fired Pagano last year and hired him instead....perhaps Irsay asked him and Peyton to come work for him and they laughed him off the plane...then Peyton said if you go back to coaching put in a good word for me I would be awesome at that MNF gig!

5 hours ago, superrep1967 said:

It's actually been 9 years and he has been involved with the game ever since. 

What does that have to do with him being a bad coach. Jeff Fisher has been involved with the game for over 20 years, does that make him a good coaching candidate in 2018. Not a chance.

22 hours ago, throwing BBZ said:

Just have an itch to comment.
 Switching names. Maybe Jim would shut the ___ up if she had his spot, on paper.
 And quit saying so much nonsense that makes him look like a liar to the ticket buyers and well, the fans, media, WORLD.
 Just thinking out loud.
 Your intuition about what Manning would want to be CEO is.....
 What did Elway get? Means nothing really to this situation, but interesting to some.
  http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/elway-passed-ownership-stake-broncos-lost-millions-article-1.2520465

Well, since speculation costs ZERO, here is mine.
 Say Manning likes the title and job description. She thinks it will be a very good long term business decision
for him to lead the business. Considering Jim's Mind, Peyton's MIND, well...
 And Manning gets 10% of the Franchise for $150M. She is flush with $$$ and is Happy,  He is Happy. Go Colts!

Newsflash Manning and Elway are two different people(one wanted to play for this franchise the other didn't) just because Elway may not want it doesn't mean Manning is the same. No way Peyton would ever work for Irsay or anyone if he didn't have assurances he gets something out of it like ownership. 

He's not going to put himself in a position where he could be perceived as a failure. He's not going to tarnish that icon status he has here if he bombs as a Team President.

Besides he lives in Denver and has considered it his permanent home at this point I don't see why he would want to come back here. If he wanted that he would've moved back to Indy after he retired he chose not to. He chose to stay in Denver despite not being part of the Broncos org.

11 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I disagree I think he's a good coach now do I think we would win an SB with him? No

That is a weak reply.  If you don't think he is going to help us win a SB then he is no better than what we had.

Perhaps the last part should say... not right away.. BUT.  It would at least support your stance a little better.

19 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Jim Harbaugh isn’t a good coach

He was 1 play away from winning a SB and took a 6-10 team to 3 straight Final 4's with SF. This is a unbelievable terrible Post coming from you who usually Posts intelligent things. I would like to see any other Coach do what he did in that 3 year time frame with a 6-10 team coming in. He had Alex Smith who was an absolute bust up to that point as a QB. He turned him into a Good QB. He then switched QB's and took Kaepernick to the SB and would've won had he got the interference call at the end. Do some research before you Post when you say someone isn't a Good Coach. He is actually a Very Good Coach, not Great but Very Good as his record at Michigan is even Good. What he did in SF was a miracle.

46 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

That is a weak reply.  If you don't think he is going to help us win a SB then he is no better than what we had.

Perhaps the last part should say... not right away.. BUT.  It would at least support your stance a little better.

I guess it depends on what you consider good. For me Harbaugh can turn down programs/franchises into something. Stanford, 49ers, Michigan but do I think he can win an SB? No.

That's what I consider good.

I don't see that with Pagano he didn't turn anything around for the Colts.

3 minutes ago, CF4L said:

I guess it depends on what you consider good. For me Harbaugh can turn down programs/franchises into something. Stanford, 49ers, Michigan but do I think he can win an SB? No.

He was 1 play away from winning a SB. When he Coached the 49ers they had the ball down by the Goaline and had they got the interference call they should've he would've won a SB. Did you not watch SB 47?

16 minutes ago, CF4L said:

Short memory

20 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He was 1 play away from winning a SB. When he Coached the 49ers they had the ball down by the Goaline and had they got the interference call they should've he would've won a SB. Did you not watch SB 47?

It's more the point with Harbaugh, he don't work well with others. He has a problem working with anyone who is over him. He also has been accused of treating grown men like they were still in college.

I don't think there is too many who thinks he is a bad coach by no means but the personality conflicts cant seep over to the pros.

56 minutes ago, CF4L said:

2011:  2-14

2012:  11-5

And he didn't turn anything around?