Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Possible mutual interest between colts and Josh Mcdaniels

CR91

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am for an offensive coach coming in but I am not going to get married to hoping for anyone just yet.  I want to see what tomorrow brings.  All it takes is a team like the Ravens doing something dumb like firing Harbaugh(almost always one surprise every year) and that changes everything.  To be clear I’d be shocked if the Ravens fired Harbaugh.  They aren’t the type of organization to make bad choices like that.  

I have had doubts about McDaniels being interested in the Colts. He seems to be very selective. (which I don't blame him for) There are a few different reasons why I have been doubtful of McDaniels interested in the Colts.

- Luck's health. It's not even clear he will not need a second surgery. Plus, there is always doubt with injured players until they actually play. I have to think that Luck is a huge draw for McDaniels.

- Jim Irsay. This might be the biggest factor. The media and casual fan seem to think of him as an impulsive owner which I don't think is accurate. I don't know how Irsay is viewed within the league but it is Belichick who says how important ownership is for head coaches because it is the one thing they can't change.

- Chris Ballard. The GM/HC relationship is critical as we have seen with the Colts. Is McDaniels willing to work with someone he doesn't know very well? (i'm assuming he doesn't know Ballard that well at least)

I hope i'm wrong and McDaniels is interested though. I want the Colts to be able to hire the best guy for the job. I don't know if McDaniels is but if he is I hope the Colts get him.

6 minutes ago, ar7 said:

I have had doubts about McDaniels being interested in the Colts. He seems to be very selective. (which I don't blame him for) There are a few different reasons why I have been doubtful of McDaniels interested in the Colts.

- Luck's health. It's not even clear he will not need a second surgery. Plus, there is always doubt with injured players until they actually play. I have to think that Luck is a huge draw for McDaniels.

- Jim Irsay. This might be the biggest factor. The media and casual fan seem to think of him as an impulsive owner which I don't think is accurate. I don't know how Irsay is viewed within the league but it is Belichick who says how important ownership is for head coaches because it is the one thing they can't change.

- Chris Ballard. The GM/HC relationship is critical as we have seen with the Colts. Is McDaniels willing to work with someone he doesn't know very well? (i'm assuming he doesn't know Ballard that well at least)

I hope i'm wrong and McDaniels is interested though. I want the Colts to be able to hire the best guy for the job. I don't know if McDaniels is but if he is I hope the Colts get him.

Funny thing is.... the linked article brings up those exact same "reasons"

I think the NE qb situation will have McDaniels looking. Think about it. He's a hot item now but if Brady gets hurt or ages next year, who does NE have coming up....Garraffalo and even Brissett are gone. I bet McDaniels makes the leap to Indy or Tenn this year.

46 minutes ago, CR91 said:

https://sports.yahoo.com/colts-job-even-andrew-luck-limbo-looks-appealing-patriots-coordinator-josh-mcdaniels-031614087.html

Article states Ballard has been doing his homework on McDaniels and that the colts would be McDaniels top choice

This article says nothing about Mcdaniels having any mutual interest or the Colts being at the top of Mcdaniels list. Or Mcdaniels being at the top of the Colts list. All this guy is doing is connecting dots and making assumptions. Because of this that and the third "I think this job would be appealing to Josh Mcdaniels". "If you look at what the rumors say Chris Ballard was asking about Mcdaniels" boom there you have it. "Mutual Interest"! Honestly if you look at the supposed criteria he listed for Mcdaniels more than one team could fit that. There was nothing specific about the Colts.

Just now, krunk said:

This article says nothing about Mcdaniels having any mutual interest or the Colts being at the top of Mcdaniels list. Or Mcdaniels being at the top of the Colts list. All this guy is doing is connecting dots and making assumptions. Because of this that and the third "I think this job would be appealing to Josh Mcdaniels". And if you look at the criteria more than one team could fit.

Read closer it does!

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

This article says nothing about Mcdaniels having any mutual interest or the Colts being at the top of Mcdaniels list. Or Mcdaniels being at the top of the Colts list. All this guy is doing is connecting dots and making assumptions. Because of this that and the third "I think this job would be appealing to Josh Mcdaniels". And if you look at the criteria more than one team could fit.

a source close to McDaniels said the coordinator would rank the Colts at the top of his wish list this offseason, barring an unexpected opening with a top-end playoff team. 

4 minutes ago, krunk said:

Two sources - Ballard is interested.

Source close to McDaniels - Colts are at top of his list.

I for one am for this type of move. We need an offense more geared for quicker hit passing and ground game. Take your shots when needed. Dude was too young to handle his first gig in Denver and has been groomed by the best. They have done more with blue collar guys up in the northeast than anybody. I dont want a guy with zero head coaching experience. It would seem too similar to Grigs and Pags when they came in. 

Looking at the QB situation from his perspective - you have Luck, Brissett(who he's worked with) and the #3 pick.  

That's better than the Giants can offer.  Even were you to get some horrible news on Luck, you still have the #3 pick.  Had the Colts lost today, QB-wise, it would be a no-brainer.

7 minutes ago, Nesjan3 said:

I dont know.. he has been "groomed" by the best, but last time he ventured off on his own without BB and Brady he failed miserable. One has to think he may be just another product of the Patriots system..

Would it be that bad if he were able to replicate the Patriots' system here?

I’m all for it. Solidify 1 side of the ball. The side with our once in a generation QB...  Good thing is McDaniels has learned that you can run a great offense without expensive over priced offensive weapons.

Plus I expect Ballard to not make the same mistakes Polian made by only investing in our offensive playmakers & mainly drafting offense with early picks.  Ballard will build the defense & OLine.  And find a stud defensive coordinator who’s a great teacher & motivator. 

If Luck comes back healthy next year, I expect us to immediately contend for the division & AFC with McDaniels running the show. Plus we’ll have Brissett, who knows McD’s system, to help Luck out...  And don’t be surprised if the Pats take a step back next year  if we get Josh & the Lions get Patricia.  Let’s see how well Brady does without McDaniels & if he was truly useless and if it was all Brady & Belichick...  Record shows they’ve never won a ring without McDaniels in the fold.  Can the Pats say that about any other coordinator they’ve had?  

Let’s make it happen.

I was all about it a few months ago. Now, I don’t see the appeal. All I hear is “he’s learned from Denver. He’s better and smarter”. But my question is how? How’s he learned? What has he learned? What makes him qualified anyways? Brady is good with him and good without him.

6 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

I was all about it a few months ago. Now, I don’t see the appeal. All I hear is “he’s learned from Denver. He’s better and smarter”. But my question is how? How’s he learned? What has he learned? What makes him qualified anyways? Brady is good with him and good without him.

I'm guessing Ballard will ask those questions during the interview process.  But I'm not sure why it's difficult to understand why he would learn from his mistakes.  He's actually talked about it very openly if you wanna google it.

12 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Unless it’s Belicheck himself I don’t want any one from that New England staff.  They make better assistants than head coaches. This Josh McDaniels already bombed in Denver.  No thanks.  Darth Hoodie is the only genius coming out of Foxboro. 

Darth Hoodie bombed in Cleveland. So from your logic, he should have never been given the 2nd chance in New England right?

Pettine is an interesting choice.  He had a very good defense when he was the head coach of the browns.   However, I might look to some of these teams that are losing head coaches.  Maybe someone like the DC out of Arizona?  Del Rio can run a good defense and I think he’s one of those guys whose a better coordinator. 

I'd be down. He has head coaching experience, and yeah it didn't go well in Denver, but it started out great. What were they, 6-0 and a win against NE? Sure things went downhill but it's been close to a decade since then. The issues he had there weren't really due to his inability to coach. There were lots of outside distractions, like the Cutler trade saga, or the benching of Marshall in a pivotal week 17 game. In the end, I don't think that Broncos team really liked the guy. I think the problem with Josh in Denver was he was trying to hard to be like BB. Hopefully he's learned. 

As a play caller, he's excellent. He can do wonders with Andrew Luck, TY Hilton, Jack Doyle, Marlon Mack etc. I'm sure he'd find a way to get guys like Chester Rogers and Donte Moncrief (if he comes back) some better production. If the Colts get the chance to interview him, they'll know for sure how much he's learned from that first performance in Denver.