Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts won today and cost themselves the 2nd pick!!!

csmopar

1 minute ago, esmort said:

First we wouldn't have to trade down if we didn't want, and even if we did we might not trade down that far, and if we did trade down that far we would have picked up a ton of extra picks increasing the likelihood of hitting on more players. 

Suggesting that we are better off because we will have less options is ludicrous. 

I don't think we're gonna have less options..... maybe 1 less team maybe

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Just now, Colts_Fan12 said:

Who the he'll said we were trading to the middle of the round?

who said we were trading at all?   maybe we would have stayed at 2 and taken the same guy we would have at 3

if we do trade, then we miss out on the best Oline and pass rushers 

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I honestly just don't think picking 3rd instead of 2nd is a huge deal like you do and many others do is why I have laid out at least 10 different scenerio's for you to explain why. If you want to be upset about picking 3rd instead of 2nd then worry over it I guess. I just don't think it's a big deal.

I dont know if it's a huge deal yet, but I would rather have lost a meaningless game just in case. 

2 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

who said we were trading at all?   maybe we would have stayed at 2 and taken the same guy we would have at 3

if we do trade, then we miss out on the best Oline and pass rushers 

This completely contradicts your original post... do you even know what you are talking about anymore.?

47 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Chuck Pagano's job is to win games.    Not to worry about the draft pick.

Thats the GMs job.

If we want the 2nd overall pick then we trade for it.   It's not Pagano's job to go get it.   That's Chris Ballard's job.

I was pulling hard for a loss but you certainly can't name Pagano . What od you do ... tell your players to play poorly. The only think I think a team can do to talk a game is to bench their better players for minor injuries or to "take a look " at a young guy. The Colts will never IMO opinion trade for pic 1.2 ,k the issue was it probably was worth a king's ransom if teams are high on on those 2 QB's. Ehh... is what it is. BTW... I wish you were right about Yates being hurt in that other thread. Man was he terrible.....

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Of course looking at it on paper picking 2nd is better but there really isn't that much of a difference between 2nd and 3rd in reality. Picking 1st is critical if you need a QB of course.

2nd is likely way better in any trade down scenario. Yes someone could give up just as much to trade up for Barkley, bet that is far less likely than a team trading up for a qb at 2.

Just now, coltsva said:

It's not a "meaningless game" to the players and coaches down on the field.  

And they are free to feel differently about it than me. But to myself, many fans and if I had to bet I would say Irsay and CB it was a meaningless game that we would have been better off losing. 

5 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

no it doesn't.  my original post said there is no guarantee we would have gotten a trade

what are you talking about? 

Your original post(that I responded to)  suggested we were better off at 3 because we wouldn't trade down to the middle where we usually pick badly. 

Just now, esmort said:

Your original post(that I responded to)  suggested we were better off at 3 because we wouldn't trade down to the middle where we usually pick badly. 

i would have stayed at 2 or 3 unless the trade looked really good.  probably getting the same player regadless

doubt we would have gotten the big trade 

2 minutes ago, esmort said:

And they are free to feel differently about it than me. But to myself, many fans and if I had to bet I would say Irsay and CB it was a meaningless game that we would have been better off losing. 

I think as a whole I am happy either way. Glad we won even it was a meaningless win as far as our season goes - sweeping Houston is just nice as a fan regardless. We still pick 3rd overall which is a great position to be in and Chuck is gone. I really so no reason why anyone should be complaining actually. On top of that Andrew looks healthy as well and looked happy being on the sideline.

Of course the team and everyone directly associated tries to win; that is there job; duuuuuuh.... As fans, though, it makes a lot of sense to want a higher pick, since this season was abysmal, to say the least; might as well look for a silver lining, and that sliver lining is the second overall pick. Too bad we couldn't even get that, though; just goes with the theme of this season: disappointment. I'll take the 3rd overall pick, though; that's good, too. 

1 minute ago, Tsarquise said:

Of course the team and everyone directly associated tries to win; that is there job; duuuuuuh.... As fans, though, it makes a lot of sense to want a higher pick, since this season was abysmal, to say the least; might as well look for a silver lining, and that sliver lining is the second overall pick. Too bad we couldn't even get that, though; just goes with the theme of this season: disappointment. I'll take the 3rd overall pick, though; that's good, too. 

Of course but between picking 2nd or 3rd is really nothing to get upset over. If we needed a QB then yes but we don't. It's all good to me and we owed Houston anyway regardless if it was meaningless or not. Still a rival and they beat us at home the last 2 years, glad we ended that. Had we needed the #1 pick with Luck coming out for example and we won, I would've been a nut case but that wasn't the scenario.

2 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Ugh... please don’t remind us.... how can you say you’d rather have a meaningless W.  That second overall pick is very valuable this year because of the number of qbs that will go in the first round and the amount of teams in the top 10 that need a QB.

I was hoping they would put the other QB  TolIzen in give Texans a chance :angry:

53 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think as a whole I am happy either way. Glad we won even it was a meaningless win as far as our season goes - sweeping Houston is just nice as a fan regardless. We still pick 3rd overall which is a great position to be in and Chuck is gone. I really so no reason why anyone should be complaining actually. On top of that Andrew looks healthy as well and looked happy being on the sideline.

Agree with this. Always good to see the Colts win and beat Houston. 3rd pick is fine. If they would have lost I'd be happy too with getting the 2nd pick. Fine wither way. 

On a side note, it's very good for the league to see teams that are out of the playoffs playing their tails off and coming up with exciting last second victories, such as Cincy and Arizona. Nothing is a given and everything is earned. Just how it should be.

2 minutes ago, coltsva said:

Agree with this. Always good to see the Colts win and beat Houston. 3rd pick is fine. If they would have lost I'd be happy too with getting the 2nd pick. Fine wither way. 

On a side note, it's very good for the league to see teams that are out of the playoffs playing their tails off and coming up with exciting last second victories, such as Cincy and Arizona. Nothing is a given and everything is earned. Just how it should be.

Dalton knocking out Baltimore is hilarious. Never expected that one.

2 hours ago, esmort said:

Terrible logic :facepalm:

Chuck did his job...he always does...sometimes better than other times but the team has never given up on him. Honestly the only way we maybe lose today is to sit all our starters and start Scott. Let’s be real here...we all had this game circled as a win for 6 weeks out. I promise you if the season started today Houston would be the worst team in the league with the roster they have. Most likely 0-16...there was little chance we lose today. We are no worse off then we was last week....and we have a world of opportunities to make this team better next year. Can’t wait to see what we do in free agency before the draft this spring. 

Sorry didn’t mean to quote you...my bad.

For you conspiracy theorists:  Chuck was supposed to lose on purpose, he did everything in his power to win so he could stick it to management / ownership.  They got ticked that he won on purpose and fired him immediately after the game, telling him "don't let the door hit you.........".

4 hours ago, Coltsfanforlife12 said:

Ugh... please don’t remind us.... how can you say you’d rather have a meaningless W.  That second overall pick is very valuable this year because of the number of qbs that will go in the first round and the amount of teams in the top 10 that need a QB.

Oh well somebody if we choose to pursue a trade down I say somebody would be stupid enough to still give a kings ransom for the 3rd pick.

11 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Only after round 2. Houston traded away their 1st and 2nd haha

I was talking about the pick not.. not who owned the pick. Anyway , it was one spot in round 2 , one spot  in round 4 and one spot in round 6. The one os round 2 belongs to Cleveland as you say.

I hope the QB prospects shape up a bit before draft time.    Gurus say the USC QB isn't ready, the UCLA QB isn't even liked by his own players, my Miss State team intercepted Louisvilles QB 3 times and beat them in their bowl game.  Mayfield...nuff said.  We really need Gruden to make them all look perfect when he grills them.  

10 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I was talking about the pick not.. not who owned the pick. Anyway , it was one spot in round 2 , one spot  in round 4 and one spot in round 6. The one os round 2 belongs to Cleveland as you say.

39 minutes ago, dw49 said:

We will have to alternate the 3rd and 4th picks with Houston.

Im aware of that , I was saying if Tampa won then it would have been worse for us as we would swap with 2 teams instead of one

3 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

I hope the QB prospects shape up a bit before draft time.    Gurus say the USC QB isn't ready, the UCLA QB isn't even liked by his own players, my Miss State team intercepted Louisvilles QB 3 times and beat them in their bowl game.  Mayfield...nuff said.  We really need Gruden to make them all look perfect when he grills them.  

What's the story with Rosen?   I hear the talking heads mention his personality,  but I know of nothing other than his calling out the ridiculousness of big time college athletics.

2 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Dalton knocking out Baltimore is hilarious. Never expected that one.

I am happy for the Bills.  Also there is the extremely slim chance that Baltimore fires Harbaugh which would be the coach I want in heart beat but I know the Ravens aren’t that dumb.

57 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

They'll amp these kids up by draft time. You know it happens every year.

Regardless of us being #3 instead of #2, we're in a sweet spot if someone falls in love with just one QB (or another position). We'll draft a good player whether we sit still or play the trade game.

56 minutes ago, BOTT said:

What's the story with Rosen?   I hear the talking heads mention his personality,  but I know of nothing other than his calling out the ridiculousness of big time college athletics.

There are literally too many to link.  Just google him and you get scouts, ex teammates..literally everyone says he is uncoachable, thinks he is smarter than you and a jerk.  talented of course.  He said he wouldn't play for the Browns so that doesn't bode well for us which was one of my points.

16 hours ago, csmopar said:

Simple:

while it'd been nice to have the 2nd round pick, I will never tell a team they need to lose. That's unethical in my book and as much as I dislike Pagano has a head coach, the fact that his players decided to play hard in a meaningless game speaks volumes...... not so much as to chuck Pagano but the players themselves. The never quit/give up mentality is something we need in ALL of our players. For once, all season long, this team showed toughness. We have been begging for this all year long. They finally did it and I will not criticize a team for winning.... ever

Of course you wouldn't tell a team they have to lose. But you can HOPE they'll lose. That is not unethical. And that is what we are talking about here. Had the Colts won an extra meaningless game in 2012 and missed out on the No. 1 pick, then we might not have gotten Luck.