Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.COM says Colts HC opening will be most coveted of all.

Happy2BeHere

12 minutes ago, ReMeDy said:

Okay, even if we are the most coveted (last year or not), then where is Jim Harbaugh? Guy coached for Luck and even shares the same first name as Irsay. Could there be a more perfect match?

Just tell him we will put a statue of him next to Peyton if he wins us a Super Bowl...wearing khaki pants.

11 hours ago, ReMeDy said:

Okay, even if we are the most coveted (last year or not), then where is Jim Harbaugh? Guy coached for Luck and even shares the same first name as Irsay. Could there be a more perfect match?

Luck being healthy is still the huge IF in this scenario. The cloudy nature of it making the position not nearly as desireable as before.

I think a number of posters have caught the mistake.

The story does NOT say the Colts HC job is the most coveted this year.    It says it was the most coveted LAST YEAR!

This year we are a big fat question mark.

We don't know yet about Luck and that's a HUGE issue.   

We we don't know about Irsay.   Is he stepping down and turning things over to his daughters or to Peyton Manning?   That's another big question mark.

Does Ballard have the control he wants and needs?    That's another issue.

Our HC position is not nearly as desirable as some here might think.

16 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900026/article/whats-the-best-head-coaching-job-nfl-execs-weigh-in

I guess that I can agree. Although I just heard that the RAIDERS are wanting to offer Jon Gruden more than 10 million per year and an ownership stake in the team. That's crazy.

Better them than us.

Yea ive been saying all year to my buddys that Irsays huge mistake was keeping Pagano for another prove it season.

The Colts HC job was the most coveted after last season. This season im sure it is still enticing but Lucks injury issues are definetly putting more of a question mark for potential candidates.

16 hours ago, Happy2BeHere said:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000900026/article/whats-the-best-head-coaching-job-nfl-execs-weigh-in

I guess that I can agree. Although I just heard that the RAIDERS are wanting to offer Jon Gruden more than 10 million per year and an ownership stake in the team. That's crazy.

Well Al Davis ended up senile so I guess Mark is just following his fathers ill advised choices.

30 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

The story does NOT say the Colts HC job is the most coveted this year.    It says it was the most coveted LAST YEAR!

We we don't know about Irsay.   Is he stepping down and turning things over to his daughters or to Peyton Manning?   That's another big question mark.

Why wouldn't Ballard have the control he wants?  Polian, a control freak, sings his praises as an owner.

One thing - Peyton Manning should not be a factor, IMO. I do not want the cloud of Peyton Manning to loom over the football operations as someone over Ballard, personally. He can get his ownership stake and feet wet somewhere else, if I am being honest. Let Ballard operate in an uninhibited fashion. That is what Irsay has always done as an owner, give the qualified and experienced football guys charge of football operations, and I trust he will do so again.

Josh McDaniels or Frank Reich or Dave Toub or Pat Shurmur - I would be happy with any of those 4 if Ballard and Irsay deem them as a fit for our organization. Jim Schwartz is a top candidate for the Giants HC job, there is that. Gruden is, for the Raiders.

So, I am thinking our pool will come down to the above 4. Actually, paying a guy like Gus Bradley a little more than other teams are offering to be our DC may veer him to a parallel job and leave the Chargers, I feel??? Plus, there will be good coaches possibly let go once HC changes happen. We will see.

I do like the resume of this Chris Beake guy for the DC position:

https://pro-football-history.com/coach/859/chris-beake-bio

You guys have to read this too regarding Chris Beake and the Beakes, football family:

https://denverbroncoszone.com/2017/04/01/denver_broncos_coaching_dynasty/

37 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Is there rumors floating around that he is thinking about stepping away this year?

1 minute ago, Btown_Colt said:

Is there rumors floating around that he is thinking about stepping away this year?

I saw one in the last 48 hours that Irsay is thinking about turning the operation over to his daughter...   I think it was a Brad Wells story and I was surprised because I thought it was a surprisingly well written story for Wells.    He's not normally a very good writer.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

I saw one in the last 48 hours that Irsay is thinking about turning the operation over to his daughter...   I think it was a Brad Wells story and I was surprised because I thought it was a surprisingly well written story for Wells.    He's not normally a very good writer.

Hadn’t seen that. Thanks 

44 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's a good point that I haven't seen being raised before.

Based upon just tidbits of info here and there, I'm thinking Irsay isn't being as hands off as I think an owner should be.

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Why wouldn't Ballard have the control he wants?  Polian, a control freak, sings his praises as an owner.

If Irsay brings in Peyton to be the team President above Ballard it is not viewed as a good thing for Ballard.

If Irsay steps down and his daughter takes over and the daughter and CB don't see eye to eye, then that's not a good thing.

If Irsay does NOT step down but gets too involved in the hiring of a new HC and Ballard can't pick his guy, then that's not a good thing either.

To be clear:   All of these are hypothetical situations.    That's why I included a question mark,  because I'm allowing for a possibility, but not a probability.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

That's a good point that I haven't seen being raised before.

Based upon just tidbits of info here and there, I'm thinking Irsay isn't being as hands off as I think an owner should be.

To be clear.....    ALL of the Irsay rumors are just that ---  rumors.   Nothing more.   Just speculation.    But one or more of them may be possible.    But I wouldn't call any if them probable just yet.

Just now, NewColtsFan said:

To be clear.....    ALL of the Irsay rumors are just that ---  rumors.   Nothing more.   Just speculation.    But one or more of them may be possible.    But I wouldn't call any if them probable just yet.

The rumor that HE was taking feelers on new HCs and not Ballard kind of gave me the willies.  It sort of sets up the same Grigson/Pagano dynamic if the owner is influencing the GMs decision.

But if he gives up control of the team to his daughters, who knows....

4 minutes ago, DougDew said:

The rumor that HE was taking feelers on new HCs and not Ballard kind of gave me the willies.  It sort of sets up the same Grigson/Pagano dynamic if the owner is influencing the GMs decision.

But if he gives up control of the team to his daughters, who knows....

In the same rappaport said this would be Ballard's first hire.  Just because the guy writing the checks is making phone calls doesn't mean he is making the decision.

18 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

He's good at spreading nonsense though

46 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

No thanks. We don't need a mental issue on the sidelines.

We need a coach that can at least get along with the front office.

A mental issue? Going nuts on a bad call isn’t what I would call a mental issue. Plus he got royally screwed over by SFs front office when he did nothing but bring them a SB appearance. 

1 minute ago, colt18 said:

A mental issue? Going nuts on a bad call isn’t what I would call a mental issue. Plus he got royally screwed over by SFs front office when he did nothing but bring them a SB appearance. 

Maybe you should do a little more research on what went on in Frisco?

4 minutes ago, colt18 said:

Harbaugh quickly wares out his welcome everywhere he goes.

He did at San Diego University.

He did at Stanford.    And he did at San Francisco.

Harbaugh can be completely exhausting to deal with.    Whether you're a front office exec, or a coach, or a player.    The same thing happens everywhere he's gone.

On the field, he's a very good coach.   Off the field he's exhausting and people who work with him are typically not unhappy to see him leave...