Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

NFL.COM says Colts HC opening will be most coveted of all.

Happy2BeHere

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe you should do a little more research on what went on in Frisco?

I actually agree with you a lot but I have no idea why you don't think Jim wouldn't be a Great HeadCoach here. He also Coached Luck in college and was a Good QB here = Ring of Honor. Look what he did in SF. He took that team to the SB with Kaepernick as QB. That team sucked before he got there and has sucked since he left.

38 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Maybe you should do a little more research on what went on in Frisco?

It sounds like you should do more research on what happened. I already know that Jed York forced Harbaugh's early exit amid early retirements and disappointing play after the SB appearance, he's even admitted that he regrets how he handled that.

“I don’t know if ‘regret’ is the right word. We had a lot of success together. We tried several times to get an extension done with Jim and, for whatever reason, those didn’t culminate. And ultimately, as successful as it was here, I think Jim is very happy. He’s doing an unbelievable job at Michigan.

“We obviously didn’t have success after Jim left — I don’t know if we’d be sitting here with John Lynch and Kyle Shanahan if something happened. And I don’t know if it would have worked in the long-term if we did get something done.

“I regret how we performed the last two years. I regret that the relationship was frayed between me and a coach that did a lot of great things for this franchise.

“I actually talked to his brother John briefly at the owners’ meeting and he said, ‘You know, you guys need to get together some time and have dinner,’ and I said, ‘I’d love to do that.’ I’d love to get together. And I think enough time has kind of passed where you can let whatever issues were there be buried and just truly be thankful for three great years when nobody expected us, certainly in 2011, to beat the Saints the way we did, to get close and, you know, be two muffed punts away from going to a Super Bowl in ‘11. Just all the things that happened.

“I’d love to sit down with Jim. Not in front of cameras, not in front of anybody else, but just share an evening with him and truly say thank you and wish him the best of luck. Not obviously when he plays Notre Dame, but for the rest of the season, wish him the best of luck.”

2 hours ago, colt18 said:

It sounds like you should do more research on what happened. I already know that Jed York forced Harbaugh's early exit amid early retirements and disappointing play after the SB appearance, he's even admitted that he regrets how he handled that.

If you think that answers the problems that Harbaugh had in Frisco you are sadly mistaken.

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think a number of posters have caught the mistake.

The story does NOT say the Colts HC job is the most coveted this year.    It says it was the most coveted LAST YEAR!

This year we are a big fat question mark.

We don't know yet about Luck and that's a HUGE issue.   

We we don't know about Irsay.   Is he stepping down and turning things over to his daughters or to Peyton Manning?   That's another big question mark.

Does Ballard have the control he wants and needs?    That's another issue.

Our HC position is not nearly as desirable as some here might think.

You could come up with 20 hypotheticals for every team in the NFL. Does every GM have all the control he wants and needs? I would say the only big difference from this year to last is Luck's shoulder.

Edited by hoosierhawk

13 hours ago, IndyD4U said:

Thank you! I was just getting ready to respond the same exact way. 

This is a direct copy paste...

And the Colts job still ranks among the most attractive, too, provided Luck checks out medically, thanks in part to the respect Ballard has around the league as he rebuilds the roster.

My point being is... yes read the whole article.  Maybe not "the most coveted" but still highly regarded.

4 minutes ago, hoosierhawk said:

You could come up with 20 theoreticals for every team in the NFL. Does every GM have all the control he wants and needs? I would say the only big difference from this year to last is Luck's shoulder.

Isn't that big enough?

That might be the biggest issue of them all......

19 hours ago, life long said:

I read this yesterday. In the article, it actually brings up the Colts as the top destination from nfl execs going into this past offseason. The answer for this offseason was stated as unclear. Which I assume meaning many different opinions.

Luck will be back and be just fine it just took longer than everybody including me thought it would for him to heal up and get on the right track in his recovery.

There is a new article tonight in Bleacher Report which says the Colt HC opening will be the hottest opening this year.  It mentions there are realistically four or five candidates for the job.  The top three are Josh McDaniels, Frank Reich, and Tom Cable followed by Todd Haley.  

4 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Harbaugh quickly wares out his welcome everywhere he goes.

He did at San Diego University.

He did at Stanford.    And he did at San Francisco.

Harbaugh can be completely exhausting to deal with.    Whether you're a front office exec, or a coach, or a player.    The same thing happens everywhere he's gone.

On the field, he's a very good coach.   Off the field he's exhausting and people who work with him are typically not unhappy to see him leave...

Well, he's not been exactly lights out at Michigan.  I seriously don't know why the Colts would want him.  There are plenty of better candidates.

1 minute ago, i am yoda said:

Well, he's not been exactly lights out at Michigan.  I seriously don't know why the Colts would want him.  There are plenty of better candidates.

A track record of winning wherever he's been is one reason to want him.

Having Andrew Luck alone makes the Colts job attractive.  Most coaches go their whole career without getting to work with a QB of his caliber.  That’s why guys will jump for a chance to get to coach him.  Having the franchise QB is the hardest thing to get in football and the most important part of building a winning team.  Those jobs don’t come open every day.

Brady with B.B.

Manning with Dungy

Rodgers with McCarthy

Brees with Payton

big Ben with Tomlin

Those guys all have lasted a long time because they one of the NFL elite QBs.  So yes people are going to be attracted here for him alone.  Yes I know there are questions about his health but the reports are good right now and those in the “know” don’t seem worried about his future anymore.  

Add in a top three pick and an Owner who has proven he will spend cash to win and a lot of cap space with some young talent outside of the QB and yeah it’s an attractive opening. Are there flaws?  Of course!  If there wasn’t it wouldn’t be open.  Think about it would you rather coach the Colts with what they have or the Cardinals with an aging team or the Broncos with that mess at QB, or a team like the Bengals who have enough talent to compete in the North but probably not get over the top because their QB is better than a lot in the NFL but not elite?  It’s not like the Colts job is going to be open against the Pats, Steelers, or Eagles.  

1 hour ago, i am yoda said:

Yes, he hasn't been lights out at Michigan.    But I think most of that is not yet having a top QB.   That might change things for them.     And they just got a transfer, so things may change for Michigan.

He's got far more good than bad on his actual coachig resume.      As for better candidates,  I don't see a lot of them.  I think this is a weak class of candidates.     I'm underwhelmed.    I don't see an easy and obvious candidate.   Wish I did,  but so far,   not yet...