Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Brissett is terrible

azcolt

14 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

I like JMV but I don't think hes right about 8 drops. 

Problem with drops is what defines a drop? Does it have to be a perfect ball that hits the player squarely in the hands perfectly and it gets dropped or does just getting a finger on it count?

i do know this, I've personally watched TY get hit perfectly in the hands about 5 times the last two games and he didn't catch it. So I don't think he's far off

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Problem with drops is what defines a drop? Does it have to be a perfect ball that hits the player squarely in the hands perfectly and it gets dropped or does just getting a finger on it count?

i do know this, I've personally watched TY get hit perfectly in the hands about 5 times the last two games and he didn't catch it. So I don't think he's far off

That 8 must include some passes that grazed his fingertips, or something like that. I don't think hes had 8 flat out drops. Maybe a few, but 8 seems high.

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

That 8 must include some passes that grazed his fingertips, or something like that. I don't think hes had 8 flat out drops. Maybe a few, but 8 seems high.

Even if he had zero drops, that's still only 5 receptions out of 19 targets. That's roughly 75 percent failure to bring in the catch for whatever reason

11 hours ago, richard pallo said:

He stared down the receiver the whole time, the defender knew when to time his jump.

Like LUCKY, who gets more batted balls than anybody.
 This kid was more accurate today with his short passes than LUCKY ever was his 1st 3 years.
  Nice job, for a backup. :jump:

Lol.  He's basically a rookie who has been in our offense for about a month and a half now.  Oh and the team around him is a collection of hot garbage roasting on a raging dumpster fire.

Let's pump the breaks on "Brissett sucks!" 

18 hours ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

I agree with this thread title.

What do you want him to do?  He plays behind the worst OL in football, his WRs drop balls repeatedly, and the OC has little imagination.  He's basically a rookie so I'd say as a backup he's solid.  No team survives without their top QB. Maybe the Pats because they have superior coaching.  Coaching counts for a lot

I get frustrated watching Brissett.  He has all the tools and flashes greatness (he has the sickest spin-move for a QB I've ever seen, even better than Wilson and Dwight Freeney, it's like a beautiful pirouette in a ballet before being crushed by a DLineman), but he doesn't throw with anticipation.  He should be throwing open the WRs downfield instead of hesitating and then dumping it or scrambling.  He doesn't trust the system yet.

In his defense, he probably doesn't fully KNOW the system yet, so he's relying more on his eyes and his arm and reacting to what he sees instead of anticipating and throwing to the right spot at the right time.

When he looks downfield, little TY probably never looks open, while big Jack Doyle probably looks wide open right there in front of his face.

I don't think he's terrible, but this coaching staff is just asking too much from him like he's Andrew Luck or something. He is a backup QB after all. You can't let your backup QB throw 40 times a game. Successful or not, this team needs to rush 30+ times a game and throw screen passes 10+ times, like how they are doing with Kurt Cousins in Washington. We have similar version of Chris Thompson in Marlon Mack. 

Just now, colts2dasuperbowl said:

I don't think he's terrible, but this coaching staff is just asking too much from him like he's Andrew Luck or something. He is a backup QB after all. You can't let your backup QB throw 40 times a game. Successful or not, this team needs to rush 30+ times a game and throw screen passes 10+ times, like how they are doing with Kurt Cousins in Washington. We have similar version of Chris Thompson in Marlon Mack. 

This

Or at least have him throw quick routes.  Just watch the Pats.  There line is not fantastic but better than ours.  When they know Brady is going to be under pressure the RB's get like 20 targets.  This allows for him to get rid of the ball quick and makes the linebackers sit in the flats and opens the middle of the field or takes an OLB away from the rush.  We need to be doing this very often, along with screens.

He was making some great throws into really tight windows yesterday, and IMO played every bit as good as Andy Dalton did. He just needs to go through his progressions & get rid of the ball quicker, and he'll be fine, but that takes time with a young QB, usually multiple seasons. Luck still struggles with it, and he's a 5 year vet.

On 10/29/2017 at 2:57 PM, Luck is Good said:

Isn’t it obvious? He can’t play well for an entire game

More like our coaches can't game plan or adapt for an entire game, and they consistently put him in a position to fail at the absolute worst time. On the Dunlap pick 6, we took the field with a 6-point lead and a running game that was ripping off 5 yards per carry, so why pass in that situation, and not just pass, but tell the entire world that we're passing by going empty backfield? What was the thinking there? Running game is getting chunks of yardage on every play, and we need to milk clock to preserve the lead, so instead of sticking with what's working, let's completely defy logic and go empty backfield?

I didn't watch the game, but it wouldn't surprise me if Brissett made that call.  It was probably another run/pass option and he chose to pass based on the look.   Seems they give him a decent amount of freedom to make certain decisions.  Same as he made the call to change the play against the Jaguars and go for that sneak on 4th and 2.

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

More like our coaches can't game plan or adapt for an entire game, and they consistently put him in a position to fail at the absolute worst time. On the Dunlap pick 6, we took the field with a 6-point lead and a running game that was ripping off 5 yards per carry, so why pass in that situation, and not just pass, but tell the entire world that we're passing by going empty backfield? What was the thinking there? Running game is getting chunks of yardage on every play, and we need to milk clock to preserve the lead, so instead of sticking with what's working, let's completely defy logic and go empty backfield?

The coaching staff is inept. I’ve constantly said that for some time. It’s a big reason why the Colts are so bad. Pagano and Chudzinski will be gone after this season

On October 29, 2017 at 4:02 PM, ponyboy said:

I've been feeling pretty good about Brissett as our backup QB for the next few years.  Today's performance just reinforced that feeling.  Not sure I understand the "terrible" talk.

Exactly PB. Where is all this Jacoby animosity coming from? He struggled today against the Bengals who have a stout defense & we lost by 1 point not say 25. 

On October 29, 2017 at 4:11 PM, jvan1973 said:

He is also only been here 8 weeks.     He is basically a rookie that didn't have an off season and training camp.   I think he has played pretty well considering

I know man. Jesus, Jacoby barely got any snaps in NE behind Brady & Jimmy G & he had to learn a whole new playbook after a break glass emergency trade with Foxboro for Dorsett. 

20 hours ago, Jules said:

He's an undercover Patriots spy. We all know it.

O7ecQQhG.jpeg

Bah Ha! Ha! Jules you Rock! I needed this tonight. Kudos! Senator Palpatine/BB strikes again...

9 hours ago, Jaric said:

Lol.  He's basically a rookie who has been in our offense for about a month and a half now.  Oh and the team around him is a collection of hot garbage roasting on a raging dumpster fire.

Let's pump the breaks on "Brissett sucks!" 

Uh huh. Jacoby struggled a tad releasing the ball quickly & took too many sacks, but then again, if I were in his shoes in the exact same situation against a smothering Cicy D & Mixon is a beast on the ground coupled with Benard; I doubt I could get more than 1 TD myself. Marvin Lewis always has a smash mouth defense. 

I'm amazed INDY played as well as we did with basically a rookie QB learning a whole new language & playbook. Even the booth announcers said it was like trying to learn Russian with 3 days to a week almost impossible to pull off & the Colts finished respectably score wise anyway. 

On October 29, 2017 at 3:25 PM, Dark Superman said:

Brissett is basically a rookie playing behind the worst line in the NFL.

What did you expect?

INDY is not the worst line in the NFL DS. I'd say that goes to Seattle. RW just masks a lot of vulnerabilities with his legs & ability to throw accurately on the move. San Fran's line is much worse than ours & Cleveland will suffer greatly without Joe Thomas at LT too. 

1 hour ago, Luck is Good said:

The coaching staff is inept. I’ve constantly said that for some time. It’s a big reason why the Colts are so bad. Pagano and Chudzinski will be gone after this season

I will openly admit that I'm no NFL guru LIG, but I do agree that 'clap man' Pagano knows the end is near. I'd like to keep Joe Philbin as our O-line coach if possible. 

I know it's asking a lot for Chuck to win games with Brissett, but I gotta say his clapping is starting to bother me. I know he's trying to rally the troops but still. Sigh...

On October 29, 2017 at 3:18 PM, ricker182 said:

Brissett is too slow for a QB that has zero awareness in the pocket. 

That constructive criticism is a very fair & valid one r182. He does struggle stepping up in the pocket & facing a baptism by fire full pass rush in his face. That will improve with more reps & time I think. Part of it is he can't trust our WRs who are dropping too many passes except Doyle. 

I also wanna see him learn how to throw the ball away faster next yr & do more naked bootlegs too. John Elway perfected those in Denver. 

11 hours ago, southwest1 said:

I will openly admit that I'm no NFL guru LIG, but I do agree that 'clap man' Pagano knows the end is near. I'd like to keep Joe Philbin as our O-line coach if possible. 

I know it's asking a lot for Chuck to win games with Brissett, but I gotta say his clapping is starting to bother me. I know he's trying to rally the troops but still. Sigh...

It’s not completely on the fact that he’s not winning. It’s his coaching and decision making. It’s god awful

3 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Can we talk about his "successful" challenge from Sunday?

Yeah technically a “successful” challenge but Pagano thought he was challenging about a fumble recovery too. Uh no Chuck. Your player was clearly out of bounds when he recovered. Our coach is not smart

1 minute ago, Luck is Good said:

Yeah technically a “successful” challenge but Pagano thought he was challenging about a fumble recovery too. Uh no Chuck. Your player was clearly out of bounds when he recovered. Our coach is not smart

I died laughing when they showed him celebrate, then slowly realize they didn't get the ball. That moment perfectly summarized Chuck's legacy.