• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

3 minutes ago, Xander said:

Hahahahahahahha

i cant take this % serious. Blaming Ballard because Hooker got blindsided? Comparing him to to the colossal bust Werner? You look dumb lol. 

Oh wow an ad hominem attack. How original...Malik is burnt toast and his picks were more luck than skill. We have the worst coverage safeties in the league and it isn't even close. The stats don't lie. We couldn't stop Alabama out there.

Just now, csmopar said:

yeah but if i recall right.... we still had Mathis, Reggie, Fleener etc. 

We almost led the league in sacks under Manusky and it was a team affair. Grigson drafted Fleener. Yes Mathis and Wayne were here but they were past their primes, even though Mathis led the league in sacks, he did get caught doping around that time. I think the year he was suspended we almost led the league in sacks but I could be wrong.

We let go of Grigson's OC and DC for Pagano's. Tell me how that's working for us? I'd say Manusky and Pep weren't the problems, and maybe Grigson wasn't either. This may all be starting to point towards Pagano.

1 hour ago, Dirty Mudflaps said:

I get why people are reluctant to throw Ballard under the bus, it's too soon, but there are things we can now look at and question.  Hooker was hurt when drafted, and just was lost for the year.  Coincidence or what we're to expect?  Quincy as it turns out can't make the active roster after being unable or unwilling to play special teams.  We're allowed to question that selection too.  The top two draft picks were functionally useless this season.  That can't happen.  And OL?  He struck out there too.  The QB situation?  We're allowed to question not having one to start the season, and then when the decision was made to go get one, it's a player with three games of experience under his belt.  We're allowed to question that.  I'm not throwing Ballard under the bus, he's not out with the bath water too, but to crown him as the person who will turn this around is premature I think.  There's as much head scratching as there is applause so far. 

We all know it will take more than one year, and it often takes going backwards to move forwards, but I don't think it's unfair to question Ballard as if he's been perfect. 

It is too soon to throw Ballard under the bus but he you can certainly question some of his moves and lack of moves.  You mentioned the most obvious; The mishandling of the QB position and the OL. Considering where we drafted last year his class has turned out to be disappointing.  Hooker looks solid but he was coming off an injury when we drafted him and now he's gone for the season.  Our no. 2 pick can't make the active roster on game days.  I thought Green was a bad no. 2 pick what do we call Wilson?   Mack is exciting but his flaws are noticeable and point to the reasons why he isn't getting more PT.  We have no choice but to be patient and I'm sure Ballard has a plan but he is not immune to criticism.  

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

Professionalism is overrated. Tell it like it is. There's too much sugar coating in the NFL as is. Pagano just preached about how his staff and team are filled with a bunch of grown men. If that's true then they can handle this.

Professionalism is dying country wide anyway. Millennials are use to the Google workplace where you wear what you want and do what you want, and as long as you are performing you are good to go. Soon being PC will be an afterthought.

All of this does not surprise me at all. How anyone could expect Ballard or anyone else make a winner out of this team really didn't think this out very much. It takes more than one draft and a few free agents to repair what was broken with this team. After 3 or 4 years of bad drafting and the terrible free agents that were singed by Grigson, it wasn't going to be fixed by Ballard in one season.

We can all point fingers at the coaching, the owner, the water boy and anyone else we care to throw under the bus but the reality is we were a bad team going into this year and there were no quick fixes. Add the injury to Luck and it compounded the problem.

For those who think firing everyone because they couldn't overcome the problems with this team just shows why we are fans and not good at dealing with the reality of it all.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

Doyle isn't a problem for irsay.   But he is so unprofessional it's embarrassing

Our professional football team is what is embarrassing and unprofessional. You think Frank Gore will have anything good to say about anyone when he leaves. He bought into the idea that the Colts were a piece or two away from winning it all. Now look at us! Doyle is right on.

12 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

We almost led the league in sacks under Manusky and it was a team affair. Grigson drafted Fleener. Yes Mathis and Wayne were here but they were past their primes, even though Mathis led the league in sacks, he did get caught doping around that time. I think the year he was suspended we almost led the league in sacks but I could be wrong.

We let go of Grigson's OC and DC for Pagano's. Tell me how that's working for us? I'd say Manusky and Pep weren't the problems, and maybe Grigson wasn't either. This may all be starting to point towards Pagano.

Probably the best secondary the team has had is when we had a young Davis, Toler, Landry, and Bethea.  And I think Butler was the nickel.  Those guys all drifted away and never got replaced, but those years were a great improvement in the secondary over what we had the few years before that. 

2 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

All of this does not surprise me at all. How anyone could expect Ballard or anyone else make a winner out of this team really didn't think this out very much. It takes more than one draft and a few free agents to repair what was broken with this team. After 3 or 4 years of bad drafting and the terrible free agents that were singed by Grigson, it wasn't going to be fixed by Ballard in one season.

We can all point fingers at the coaching, the owner, the water boy and anyone else we care to throw under the bus but the reality is we were a bad team going into this year and there were no quick fixes. Add the injury to Luck and it compounded the problem.

For those who think firing everyone because they couldn't overcome the problems with this team just shows why we are fans and not good at dealing with the reality of it all.

But we were a terrible team in 2011 and 2012, then not in 2013.  I think that's the point.

Ballard needs to find his Wayne and Mathis.  Not just that level of player....but at those positions.  A FS just isn't as important as those other positions, and its mind boggling to me why many think Hooker would be a game changer.  We had Bethea all of those years and were pretty decent defensively.

Grigson tended to understand positional value.  I assume Ballard does.  

56 minutes ago, csmopar said:

RD  PICK   PLAYER                                 CURRENT TEAM/STATUS

1       24    Björn Werner DE                      OUT OF THE LEAGUE

3        86   Hugh Thornton OG                   OUT OF THE LEAGUE

4        121  Khaled Holmes CUSC             OUT OF THE LEAGUE

5       139    Montori Hughes DT                OUT OF THE LEAGUE

6       192    John Boyett S                         OUT OF THE LEAGUE

6        230    Kerwynn Williams RB           Arizona Cardinal practice squad

7       254      Justice Cunningham TE       OUT OF THE LEAGUE

1     N.A   Trent Richardson                                OUT OF THE LEAGUE

2     27  Jack Mewhort   Guard                         Colts IR

3    26  Donte Moncrief     Wide Receiver        Colts WR3

5     26  Jonathan Newsome   Defensive End  OUT OF THE LEAGUE

6    27  Andrew Jackson Linebacker                OUT OF THE LEAGUE

7   17   Ulrick John     Guard                            Greenbay Practice Squad

1   29     Phillip Dorsett     Wide Receiver            New England

3   165   D'Joun Smith     Cornerback                 OUT OF THE LEAGUE

3    29    Henry Anderson    Defensive End         Colts active roster

4    10    Clayton Geathers  Strong Safety          Colts PUP

5  15       David Parry   Defensive Tackle           Saints IR

6   29     Josh Robinson   Running Back           OUT OF THE LEAGUE

6   31      Amarlo Herrera   Linebacker              OUT OF THE LEAGUE as a WWE wrestler

7  38       Denzell Goode   Offensive Tackle        COLTS IR

1  18        Ryan Kelly      Center                          Colts Active Roster

2   26       T. J. Green     Safety                            Colts Active Roster

3  19        Le'Raven Clark   Offensive Tackle       Colts Active Roster

4  18        Hassan Ridgeway    Defensive Tackle Colts Active Roster

4   27        Antonio Morrison   Linebacker            Colts Active Roster

5  17         Joe Haeg    Offensive Tackle             Colts Active Roster

7  18        Trevor Bates   Linebacker                   OUT OF THE LEAGUE

7  27        Austin Blythe    Center                         OUT OF THE LEAGUE

so out of 29 players drafted since 2013, only 15 players are still in the league, 6 alone from last year.   Of the total of 4 first rounders, only 1 is still on the team in 4 years and the 2nd is a bench warmer in New England. 

This was really depressing. Wow.

10 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

haha  Thank you.

Sometimes I'm glad there's only one * running this team instead of the million arm-chair owners...

1 minute ago, PrincetonTiger said:

The problem that I have with guys like Doyel is that they write/say what they think people want to hear

That's pretty much his job, though.  Anyone can just put their opinion out there, but he's getting paid to get "clicks", so he puts on his jester-cap and dances for the masses.

He came off more like an angry fan than a legit journalist, but that's what people are relating to at the moment, so he's running with it.

I can tell a lot of fans are angry right now.  I'm just resigned.  Let's just get through this season as healthy as possible and get ready for #Colts2018.  18 is a good number  :thmup:

Doyle is a fan, it shows. That is good but he puts the negative before the positive. He is a glass half empty kind of guy, helps with page clicks but I would not let that guy anywhere close to my organization if I am the Colts. Most good coaches (that are MIA in our staff) who do player development will put the positive before the negative because there is not a single player in the NFL that does not have a negative trait to their skills or play, IMO. The article is a bunch of facts mixed with rants, that is what I gather. 

Doyle makes Bob Kravitz look rational and that is hard to do. :) 

1 minute ago, Lucky Colts Fan said:

That's pretty much his job, though.  Anyone can just put their opinion out there, but he's getting paid to get "clicks", so he puts on his jester-cap and dances for the masses.

He came off more like an angry fan than a legit journalist, but that's what people are relating to at the moment, so he's running with it.

I can tell a lot of fans are angry right now.  I'm just resigned.  Let's just get through this season as healthy as possible and get ready for #Colts2018.  18 is a good number  :thmup:

To me it comes off wishy-washy

54 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

Ballard has given us our worse season since 2011 and heads rolled that year. He's the one who went into the season without a stop gap at QB. Grigson was horrible in the draft, but he did get us Vontae and players like Adams who were pro bowlers. Grigson gave us Hasselback who actually had a better record that year than Luck. He got canned for going 8-8 two years in a row and missing the big dance by 1 game. We were a flawed team getting blown out every few weeks then too, but Ballard hasn't given me much hope yet. His draft this year is already looking shaky. 

Injuries are a thing? How many of Grigson's picks busted because some players never can recover from what may seem like even a minor injury to a fan? If you lose even a fraction of a step in this game your career can be toast. 

Ballard's draft is already looking shaky. What if Hooker never recovers? Even Werner showed flashes. I was at a game he had two sacks and helped us seal the W against a tough Baltimore team. Did he get hurt and never recover or just get rich and lose his hunger? Possibly, but we won't ever know and Grigson gets a bust. What if the same thing happens to Hooker? 7 games of promise and nothing ever again. We gonna give Ballard a pass?

Literally the only way I can even defend Ballard right now is that he is intentionally tanking. He put this roster together and it is a true bottom feeder, something Grigson never even accomplished with a 40 year old Hasselback running the show.

I'm willing to give him time, but he's not off to a great start.

lmao, this is true comedy right here

first of all, the team that ballard inherited is mostly the team that grigson built which you see playing before you now, he barely had any pieces to work with besides last years draft, who are still young and inexperienced. Ballard is a completely different GM that Grigson was, therefore is going to things differently. And if you aren't impressed with what Ballard did in his first year given what he had, then you obviously were expecting something that most fans were not. 

Secondly, injuries and being a plain bust are completely different. Injuries can heal and helped, busts cannot. You can come back from most injuries while being the same player. You can't tell me that you still wouldn't pick Hooker knowing that his season would be over halfway through. And Hooker has shown more flashes in 7 games than Werner did during his whole career. Ballard is off to a start that only Grigson could've wished for

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

7   17   Ulrick John     Guard                            Greenbay Practice Squad

6   31      Amarlo Herrera   Linebacker              OUT OF THE LEAGUE as a WWE wrestler

1  18        Ryan Kelly      Center                          Colts Active Roster

2   26       T. J. Green     Safety                            Colts Active Roster

so out of 29 players drafted since 2013, only 15 players are still in the league, 6 alone from last year.   Of the total of 4 first rounders, only 1 is still on the team in 4 years and the 2nd is a bench warmer in New England. 

Looking at the 2008, 2009, 2010, & 2011 draft is also frustrating & helps paint an even clearer picture as to why the Colts are in the shape they are in

2 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Doyle is a fan, it shows. That is good but he puts the negative before the positive. He is a glass half empty kind of guy, helps with page clicks but I would not let that guy anywhere close to my organization if I am the Colts. Most good coaches (that are MIA in our staff) who do player development will put the positive before the negative because there is not a single player in the NFL that does not have a negative trait to their skills or play, IMO. The article is a bunch of facts mixed with rants, that is what I gather. 

Doyle makes Bob Kravitz look rational and that is hard to do. :) 

That kind of writing would be off limits in locker room I was ever in 

23 minutes ago, BobbyMorris94 said:

i dont disagree.  I said weeks ago that I think I can see why Grigson micromanaged Pagano so much.  I wanted both fired last year

1 hour ago, csmopar said:

yeah i agree with you

Blythe is with the rams and bates with the patriots, so that whole draft is still alive for now though.  its just a year old though, and a few of them may not last much longer.

25 minutes ago, DougDew said:

But we were a terrible team in 2011 and 2012, then not in 2013.  I think that's the point.

Ballard needs to find his Wayne and Mathis.  Not just that level of player....but at those positions.  A FS just isn't as important as those other positions, and its mind boggling to me why many think Hooker would be a game changer.  We had Bethea all of those years and were pretty decent defensively.

Grigson tended to understand positional value.  I assume Ballard does.  

I think TJ Green and Dorsett, TRich and other all speak to the contrary to the bolded

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

yeah i agree with you

Blythe is with the rams and bates with the patriots, so that whole draft is still alive for now though.  its just a year old though, and a few of them may not last much longer.

nope, both got released last month. per nfl.com

3 minutes ago, PrincetonTiger said:

According to the Rams site Blythe is on their active roster

hmm checking.  its not impossible that i read his bio wrong.  I could have sworn it said released september 2nd, 2017

edit, I do stand corrected, it was bates that was released on the 2nd.  My bad

Edited by csmopar

2 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am going to somewhat agree with you. Even this board sensors the word *, and we are in the minor leagues. 

I believe we are now witnessing the emergence of the opportunists who thrive on having a bad sports team to write about. Now they can pile it on, and it's justified. Most of the words will be met with cheers. If this will be anything like history has shown us then we will have a few journalists feeding off the dismay of the fans. Doyle is apparently jockeying for ring leader.  

Doyle is not wrong (albeit he overstates the obvious). However, when comparing the two, Holder is by far the most professional.

I think this comment is spot on. Doyel is a total front runner who praises when things  are good and rages when things are going badly. No objectivity at all. Ballard hasn't had a free hand at all here. If he did, he'd have brought in his own coaching staff. That is the single largest problem with the Colts: bad coaching. Followed by their star QB being sidelined. Followed by a lack of talent and depth. Ballard didn't create this mess and it wil take time to get the ship straightened out. 

Just take Doyel with a grain of salt. He's the first to pile on when things go badly. Even one game. 

Please do not take this as a defense of Pagano and the team. The mess is real.  I'm just no fan of Doyel and his juvenile rants.