Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts Release Depth Chart

TKnight24

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

7 hours ago, ProblChld32 said:

I recall mentioning slightly after we drafted him that Butler would start the season off as the starter. I think that Hooker will start mid season but i dont think he is ready to start as of yet.

Your 1st, and even you're 2nd RD picks should be starters week 1, especially a kid who should've went top 10.

Put Mewhort in at RG instead of Haeg and that is our best OL combo.  Good beat out Clark for the RT job, and both are better than Banner with just as much upside.  Vujnovich is a nice veteran pickup who has a guard body type and beat out Haeg for the LG spot.

As it is with Mewhort in at RG instead of Haeg, this is a better OL than last season, IMO.

25 minutes ago, J@son said:

Its not that simple. Never has been,,this is the philosophy of the madden generation

That's true.  You want them to contribute heavily and eventually start.  Henry never started last year, Goff was the overall #1 pick and didn't start game one.

Sometimes we have to accept that the coaches know a little more than we do about a players capabilities.

Our OL looks scary. Will we ever have a decent OL that we don't have to hold our breath every time we drop back to pass? Can Gore actually make it to the line of scrimmage without getting hit? We have been building this thing for years, and we are left with another load of crap. Should have traded Dorsett for a decent OL rather than a 3rd string QB.

11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Did you honestly think he'd start after missing so much practice and preseason games?

They'll ease him in, eventually he'll be the starter if he earns it.  But no one is going to hand it to him.

honestly? yes i did... I thought the best players play? Atleast that's how it should be right? darius hasn't put himself above any safety on this roster in my opinion only reason  why hes back there is experience which is fine i guess but what a perfect way to "ease" malik in playing against the rams offense with jared goff under center.. 15th overall you need to be playing week 1 especially if your healthy and the only reason why you were being held out of practices and preseason was for a precaution 

4 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:
11 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Did you honestly think he'd start after missing so much practice and preseason games?

They'll ease him in, eventually he'll be the starter if he earns it.  But no one is going to hand it to him.

honestly? yes i did... I thought the best players play? Atleast that's how it should be right? darius hasn't put himself above any safety on this roster in my opinion only reason  why hes back there is experience which is fine i guess but what a perfect way to "ease" malik in playing against the rams offense with jared goff under center.. 15th overall you need to be playing week 1 especially if your healthy and the only reason why you were being held out of practices and preseason was for a precaution

Where as a top player should come in and start playing day 1, you have to remember that Donald has not done anything and might not be in playing shape.  So as @Smonroementioned he will need eased back in.  It should not take to long because if Donald is smart, he is probably in shape just not playing shape of 60 snaps a game.

2 minutes ago, DaColts85 said:

Where as a top player should come in and start playing day 1, you have to remember that Donald has not done anything and might not be in playing shape.  So as @Smonroementioned he will need eased back in.  It should not take to long because if Donald is smart, he is probably in shape just not playing shape of 60 snaps a game.

i hope man not playing malik for any other reason than that would be *ic imo but also doesn't change the fact that we are talking about the rams I think this would be the perfect game for him to start

9 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

I don't think Butler is a good safety but no one knows if Hooker is a good safety because he has not been playing and he didn't look that good in the one preseason game in which he did play.

And the comment about pick 15 needs to be playing week one is nonsense and very short sighted, you want your first draft pick to become a cornerstone of the team for years, not so they can start week 1.  heck, Freeney didn't start until week 9 of his rookie season, it did not diminish his contribution to the Colts that year or his career.

10 hours ago, BlueShoe said:

I am not buying this OL lineup. Makes no sense to make drastic changes now. I will believe it when I see it. 

Just shows this team / coaching is in total disarray.  Top secret game they are playing with Luck, players showing on depth chart where they barely played, if at all, and a coach trying to be a tough guy....  can we just move on to next season...

3 minutes ago, MarquisJ said:

the jump from a Dline in college to the nfl is waaaaaay bigger than a safety jump IMO dont think you can compare the two but i think i get what your trying to do lol

No it's not.  Offensive schemes are more complicated and defensive playbooks and reads and keys are way more complicated in the NFL than in college.

40 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

No it's not.  Offensive schemes are more complicated and defensive playbooks and reads and keys are way more complicated in the NFL than in college.

respectfully disagree... i think its harder to transition to a nfl pass rusher than a nfl safety out of college

15 hours ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

So Haeg possibly lost his spot? That's kind of surprising if so.

You would think, even if this isn't the starting lineup, that Haeg would be listed as a starter.

IMO Mewhort isn't going to last long.
Gonna be wild and woolly again with our line this season.

Gotta believe we will get there, in a SEASON or TWO.  :thmup:  :applause:  Let`s play some football.

5 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

IMO Mewhort isn't going to last long.
Gonna be wild and woolly again with our line this season.

Gotta believe we will get there, in a SEASON or TWO.  :thmup:  :applause:  Let`s play some football.

Why isn't Mewhort going to last long??

Also hard to believe that Vujnovich is now a starter when prior to now he's only been practice squad material.  

55 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I don't think Butler is a good safety

he intercepted aaron rodgers and i thought he surprised and did pretty well at safety last year

he wasnt really asked to play in the box against the run, but we did have geathers in there when butler was back at safety iirc

4 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

Why isn't Mewhort going to last long??

Also hard to believe that Vujnovich is now a starter when prior to now he's only been practice squad material.  

Why, that is what the practice squad is for... to develop players you think can contribute in the future.  

14 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

he intercepted aaron rodgers and i thought he surprised and did pretty well at safety last year

he wasnt really asked to play in the box against the run, but we did have geathers in there when butler was back at safety iirc

All that is true.  But he takes poor angles in run support and seems hesitant to try and make the tackle when he is there and whether he plays in the box or not, run support is a big part of a safety's job.  He was often late in providing help over the top on deep routes and his range is limited, he's not a safety that can cover from the hash to the sideline, his range is pretty much from hash mark to hash mark.  From his play in the preseason, I thought there was a good chance he may not make the final 53.

6 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Why, that is what the practice squad is for... to develop players you think can contribute in the future.  

True they can be used for that.  Although most of the people that spend a lot of time on practice squads don't make a serious impact on the league.  

Just now, Valpo2004 said:

True they can be used for that.  Although most of the people that spend a lot of time on practice squads don't make a serious impact on the league.  

True enough.  Although the Colts do have a bit of history with that.

Joe Reitz

Marcus Pollard

Eric Swoope was the anticipated starter(TE2) this year until injury.

I'm not saying he's going to turn into an all pro guard but judging from this preseason he seems to have good functional strength and good technique and didn't seem to make many mistakes.  And I'm sure if Haeg had looked better in the preseason Vujy would not be starting.

13 hours ago, bananabucket said:

If our OL for the Rams game is 

Castonzo - Vujnovich - Bond - Mewhort - Good

...God help us all

I told everyone to stop penciling in Haeg and Clark as starters on the O-Line. People kept pushing that "Grigson finally fixed the line" narrative. But that is still an awful lineup. Might as well not even let Luck start the rest of the season if you're going to put Denzel Good back on the line.

What I gather from this is that it's not that they're big on Vujnovich (except for Ballard who praised him) or Good, but rather they're not impressed with Haeg and Clark. This has Pagano written all over it IMO. But can't say Im shocked that Haeg and Good got beat out. They were never sure things.