Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Arthur Jones

Lef

Post June first isn't an actual Savings, the dead money just defers to next season, not really that important IMHO, they should just cut him now unless he is going to take over 4 million off in a pay cut.

Especially if the idea is to build a locker room, can't have these PED taking guys influencing the locker room.

I think they might plan on cutting him still, but keeping him on the roster until they find a replacement. Or they plan on rolling over 7-10 million and might want to see what he has in training camp. He was pretty good when healthy. I wouldn't rather cut him honestly and I think eventually they will before the start of next season

2 minutes ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The extra 1.1 million may be the reason or not?  You asked for thoughts and I gave one:thmup:. Possibly they are trying to wait until they have a replacement on board before making the decision?

It's not hard to find a replacement player to take a spot on IR.

10 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think there's any reason to make Jones a post June 1 release. That extra $1.1m in 2017 isn't a factor for us.

Maybe they are waiting to see how the Perry situation unfolds a bit ? Jones can play some NT.

I just think it's probably more of a "what's the point of hurrying ? You can cut him in a month , 2 months and it doesn't change your team . Maybe they wait till after the draft , take a look at the roster and either offer him a pay cut or release him. Yeah it might be the nice thing for the team to let Jones know now but they really don't owe him that .  The only possible downfall to that could be that somehow Jones gains some leverage as time goes on. I doubt it ....

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Maybe they are waiting to see how the Perry situation unfolds a bit ? Jones can play some NT.

I just think it's probably more of a "what's the point of hurrying ? You can cut him in a month , 2 months and it doesn't change your team . Maybe they wait till after the draft , take a look at the roster and either offer him a pay cut or release him. Yeah it might be the nice thing for the team to let Jones know now but they really don't owe him that .  The only possible downfall to that could be that somehow Jones gains some leverage as time goes on. I doubt it ....

Jones doesn't stay healthy, and he's a suspension risk. I get being concerned about Parry, but I think you can replace him for a lot less than what Jones is making. I don't even want him at a reduced salary.

No harm in waiting until after the draft, but the first OTA is two weeks before the draft. I wouldn't let Jones on the field or in the weight room.

And I'm sure a veteran player would rather be available early in FA, rather than a month later. No, they don't owe him that at all, but if you're set on moving on, just move on. I don't see him being on the roster in camp.

17 minutes ago, Superman said:

Jones doesn't stay healthy, and he's a suspension risk. I get being concerned about Parry, but I think you can replace him for a lot less than what Jones is making. I don't even want him at a reduced salary.

No harm in waiting until after the draft, but the first OTA is two weeks before the draft. I wouldn't let Jones on the field or in the weight room.

And I'm sure a veteran player would rather be available early in FA, rather than a month later. No, they don't owe him that at all, but if you're set on moving on, just move on. I don't see him being on the roster in camp.

I can't think of anything I saw in the last 3 years that would have anyone wanting him on this year's opening roster. I'm just playing the devil's advocate as to why he hasn't been released yet.

9 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I can't think of anything I saw in the last 3 years that would have anyone wanting him on this year's opening roster. I'm just playing the devil's advocate as to why he hasn't been released yet.

During Ballard's Combine presser, someone asked something about why D'Qwell Jackson was released, but no other moves have been made, and if that means the team is done making changes right now (in so many words). Ballard said they moved quickly on Jackson because he knew Jackson was coming in to talk and he wanted to be straight with him. He said other decisions have different factors to consider, and that the timing of the Jackson release isn't indicative of anything else.

I took that to mean that they had other moves to make, but weren't ready to pull the trigger yet, and there was no reason for them to make those moves just yet. I obviously related that to Jones.

I don't expect Jones to be around much longer. No matter what, as long as he's not allowed the opportunity to get hurt on the Colts watch, it doesn't really matter when they release him.

2 minutes ago, Superman said:

During Ballard's Combine presser, someone asked something about why D'Qwell Jackson was released, but no other moves have been made, and if that means the team is done making changes right now (in so many words). Ballard said they moved quickly on Jackson because he knew Jackson was coming in to talk and he wanted to be straight with him. He said other decisions have different factors to consider, and that the timing of the Jackson release isn't indicative of anything else.

I took that to mean that they had other moves to make, but weren't ready to pull the trigger yet, and there was no reason for them to make those moves just yet. I obviously related that to Jones.

I don't expect Jones to be around much longer. No matter what, as long as he's not allowed the opportunity to get hurt on the Colts watch, it doesn't really matter when they release him.

Agree as that's pretty much what I expressed too...it doesn't matter when they release him.

25 minutes ago, Superman said:

Pretty much sums up my opinion. The Colts need to release him before he get injured again.

1 hour ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

The extra 1.1 million may be the reason or not?  You asked for thoughts and I gave one:thmup:. Possibly they are trying to wait until they have a replacement on board before making the decision?

Can we bet via Vegas odds the over/under on how many games he will play????  

haha 

Bottom line is, dude has been underwhelming at best. With his inflated contract #'s, he will either be forced to re negotiate, or Ballard will more than likely cut bait. Can't see keeping him though, PEDs are poison to a locker room. Need more character leadership in that locker room. There have to be better options than Jones via draft/free agents. 

4 hours ago, Lef said:

With his injury history, him turning 31 and a  $7.2 million salary cap hit, doesn't make sense to me that he hasn't been released. Any thoughts?

What's the hurry?

Ballard kinda hinting we won't be major players in FA, so we can live with his cap hit til June.

He wouldn't have a job in the NFL if it wasn't for Chuck Pagano. He was a career back up in Baltimore and Chuck thought he could bring him over to be a starter. He's gotten more Millions then tackles from this team and I have no clue what Chris Ballard is waiting on. If Chuck wants him back put your foot down and say hell no

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

He wouldn't have a job in the NFL if it wasn't for Chuck Pagano. He was a career back up in Baltimore and Chuck thought he could bring him over to be a starter. He's gotten more Millions then tackles from this team and I have no clue what Chris Ballard is waiting on. If Chuck wants him back put your foot down and say hell no

Pagano may put in a word to have him brought here but it was not Pagano who signed him to the contract that Grigson gave him.

At the time most In here thought he was going to be a good player when he was brought in.

Using hindsight to point a finger at Pagano over an injured player who used PEDs he thought would help him heal faster is a mute point.

This thread is why I think it's funny that so many posters say things like "we have to sign this free agent, or this free agent immediately makes the team better.  Jones was considered one of the top free agents when the Colts signed him.  He was considered an immediate and long term solution to the dline.

3 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

Pagano may put in a word to have him brought here but it was not Pagano who signed him to the contract that Grigson gave him.

At the time most In here thought he was going to be a good player when he was brought in.

Using hindsight to point a finger at Pagano over an injured player who used PEDs he thought would help him heal faster is a mute point.

I'm sorry, this always cracks me up when I see it.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

I'm sure it was more then a word they spent multiple years together in Baltimore its no coincidence he ended up in Indy. Grigson even made him take a pay cut, who knows the full truth but I'd bet money Chuck is the biggest reason why Arthur is still a Colt. Idk what is taking CB so long he knows he can't pay him 7.5mil this year

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

I'm sure it was more then a word they spent multiple years together in Baltimore its no coincidence he ended up in Indy. Grigson even made him take a pay cut, who knows the full truth but I'd bet money Chuck is the biggest reason why Arthur is still a Colt. Idk what is taking CB so long he knows he can't pay him 7.5mil this year

You don't seem to understand that Jones was thought to be an upgrade and all including me were pretty excited when he was signed.

With that being said once he signed the contract it was out of Pagano's hands as far as the amount, injuries, his use of PEDs (wanting to heal faster), cap strategy and when to cut him.

I am pretty confident that Ballard will make the move that is in the best interest for the team and Pagano wont be the deciding factor.

1 hour ago, Tmoney said:

What's the hurry? If he stays he is taking a pay cut again. That's a given. My guess is FA and the draft are on  Ballard's mind. Why would he be thinking about Jones? That situation can be dealt with whenever. 

Jones was a good  signing at the time. He was an interior DL who showed pass rush capability. He was also one of the most sought after FA. Here is this:

Considering the interest that Jones was receiving over the weekend, the deal that the Colts are offering appeared to be low, but reuniting him with former Ravens defensive coordinator Chuck Pagano may have played a factor in Jones' decision to take less money.

On 3/6/2017 at 5:22 PM, dw49 said:

6'3" 320 lbs IF he can stay healthy, he may be the run stuffing 2 down NT they need. That's a big if but if I remember correctly, the stats show he makes a difference in the yards per rush against average. I guess we shall see what they do in the draft. Rumors have them interested in DTs so I guess that gives an indication they may be looking elsewhere.