Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay sounds pumped up!

RockThatBlue

19 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Mmmm. This would not be my definition. The score at the end of the first quarter would be more realistic. But all pretty academic really, it's the score at the end of the forth quarter that matters!

Im not really sure what I personally categorize a slow start. I think it depends on the game. A 5 minute, 10+ play drive that ends in a missed FG vs Denver isnt as concerning as a 3 and out vs New Orleans. Putting up yards and keeping up Time of Possession early are typically signs of success later in the game. 

That being said, our lack of opening drive points over the last few seasons was more concerning than I originally thought. But looking at all the results after that story I posted, we put up points in our opening drive in half of our games for the rest of the year. Hopefully that is the beginning of the end for all the slow start talk.  

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

12 hours ago, Superman said:

Trust me, I get your sarcasm, but in all seriousness, Sean Payton is a better coach than Chuck Pagano. 

So you're saying a good coach, even a great coach, can have losing seasons if he doesn't get the players?  Even if he has a franchise QB and a top 10 offense?

Got it.  Thanks.  

On 2/20/2017 at 8:26 AM, Majin Vegeta said:

Where did you hear Ballard say he wanted his own coach?

I don't understand how anyone can't be excited for this (off)season. 

Twitter, along with other numerous reports of him wanting Tabb or something like that. Can't remember the name for the life of me.

And I never said I'm not excited for the offseason, just not this tweet. Irsay has become a "tell people what they wanna hear" guy. He assured us that Chuck & Grigson kissed & made up and we'd be better. Lie.

Now he's telling us that Ballard & Pagano are clicking.... remains to be seen. I'm looking forward to what Ballard is gonna bring to this team but I'm still not sold on Pagano. Sure everyone is gonna blame Grigson for the "lack of talent" he brought in, but Pagano has made/allowed some very questionable calls in key situations that have cost this team

Pittsburgh game comes to mind. We were probably gonna lose anyway, but not taking the FG's when they were there hurt momentum.

Both Texans games were pathetic by all of the coaches. Blown lead in the first one & then a screen pass on 4th & 1? Why would you go backwards to go forwards? Makes no sense

I'm sure Ballard can build this team & is capable of building the team, but the guy in charge of leading the team on the field is the one I have the issue with

7 minutes ago, TKnight24 said:

Twitter, along with other numerous reports of him wanting Tabb or something like that. Can't remember the name for the life of me.

And I never said I'm not excited for the offseason, just not this tweet. Irsay has become a "tell people what they wanna hear" guy. He assured us that Chuck & Grigson kissed & made up and we'd be better. Lie.

Now he's telling us that Ballard & Pagano are clicking.... remains to be seen. I'm looking forward to what Ballard is gonna bring to this team but I'm still not sold on Pagano. Sure everyone is gonna blame Grigson for the "lack of talent" he brought in, but Pagano has made/allowed some very questionable calls in key situations that have cost this team

Pittsburgh game comes to mind. We were probably gonna lose anyway, but not taking the FG's when they were there hurt momentum.

Both Texans games were pathetic by all of the coaches. Blown lead in the first one & then a screen pass on 4th & 1? Why would you go backwards to go forwards? Makes no sense

I'm sure Ballard can build this team & is capable of building the team, but the guy in charge of leading the team on the field is the one I have the issue with

Hey.....     haven't seen you posting much lately?!

Glad to see you back and getting your views out there....

Don't be a stranger!            :thmup:

1 minute ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey.....     haven't seen you posting much lately?!

Glad to see you back and getting your views out there....

Don't be a stranger!            :thmup:

Off-season mode, been looking at mock drafts & all that so not really posting here. I'll scroll through, but not really posting

I'll be back to my rapid post ways once the draft kicks off I'm sure

10 hours ago, LockeDown said:

Skip to what Ballard said after meeting with Pagano.  He actually said Pagano was smart.  Did anybody else catch that?  He didn't have to use that word but he did.  His reputation is as a straight shooter, so maybe there is more to our coach than meets the eye.

Just because people on this board like to call Pagano dumb doesn't mean he's actually dumb. I don't think he's the greatest coach, and I disagree with some of the things he does, but it's not surprising that someone would call a football coach who has been around the game for 40 years "smart." 

If he had called him a genius, that would be a different story.

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

So you're saying a good coach, even a great coach, can have losing seasons if he doesn't get the players?  Even if he has a franchise QB and a top 10 offense?

Got it.  Thanks.  

Yes.

Independent of all that, though, is the question of whether Pagano is a good coach. I don't think anyone has that question about Sean Payton.

23 minutes ago, Superman said:

Yes.

Independent of all that, though, is the question of whether Pagano is a good coach. I don't think anyone has that question about Sean Payton.

Yes, he won a SB.  Also only 5 winning seasons out of 10. 

He won when he had a good defense.  Pagano hasn't had that luxury yet. 

2 hours ago, TKnight24 said:

So just a bunch of rumors. 

and I'm talking about fans in general. And no coach is perfect. I'm sure if we had more talent, we would have won more games, and we wouldn't be having this convo. 

On 2/20/2017 at 7:16 PM, crazycolt1 said:

Just because someone has a different point of view does not automatically make them wrong.

It has yet to be determined how Pagano is going to do.

How in the hell long does it take you to make a determination?????   Maybe some of us can count to 10 faster than you

On February 20, 2017 at 6:12 AM, tomloge said:

Enough with the Pagano nonsense already.  It's been tiring for a long time.  He's not the one who missed tackles, he's not the one who dropped passes.  Did he call a lot of bad plays?  Yes.  Is he the best coach?  No.  Is he the absolute worst coach?  No.  People have been acting as though he's the worst person in the world.  Get over it.  Let's see what happens this coming year.  If he blows, then he'll be gone.  If the team does good with newer players, etc and the new GM, then we'll see what happens.  Plain and simple.  "You can't cry over spilled milk".  

A well reasoned & logical post that needed to be said even if a person isn't the leader of the Pagano fan club. Thank you. 

On February 20, 2017 at 2:21 PM, braveheartcolt said:

You are a very naughty boy, Supes.....

You always make me laugh BHC even online where nuance & visual cues cannot be adequately read in person. Sarcasm is the universal language that cuts across all borders, boundaries, oceans, & Commonwealths I guess. You're priceless man. Never change. 

1 hour ago, Coltfreak said:

How in the hell long does it take you to make a determination?????   Maybe some of us can count to 10 faster than you

21 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Binary?

This exchange was clever too. I like witty retorts like this LD. Well done. No disrespect intended CF BTW. 

By the way,  since this has turned into another Let's All Bash Chuck Pagano thread,  did anyone happen to notice that the HC who go his team to the Super Bowl and had his team leading by 25 points with about 17 minutes to go and only needed a FG in the final 4 minutes mismanaged things so badly that his team blew the biggest lead in SB history?

Did anyone notice that?       

So, it's not just Chuck Pagano who makes mistakes here and there.     Or do we have to go back to Pete Carroll not running Marshawn Lynch from the 1 years line as well?

Come on now.......

Anyway,   carry on....      please continue....    lets not let facts get in the way of a good Chuck Pagano bashing!

:peek:

17 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

By the way,  since this has turned into another Let's All Bash Chuck Pagano thread,  did anyone happen to notice that the HC who go his team to the Super Bowl and had his team leading by 25 points with about 17 minutes to go and only needed a FG in the final 4 minutes mismanaged things so badly that his team blew the biggest lead in SB history?

Did anyone notice that?       

So, it's not just Chuck Pagano who makes mistakes here and there.     Or do we have to go back to Pete Carroll not running Marshawn Lynch from the 1 years line as well?

Come on now.......

Anyway,   carry on....      please continue....    lets not let facts get in the way of a good Chuck Pagano bashing!

:peek:

I will say, if Chuck Pagano is good enough to get us to the SB, I wouldn't give him cr@p for that call the falcons made near as bad as some, because at least he'd be good enough to get us to the SB. He mismanages every little thing in every game it seems. At least if he did that in the SB, we could say he got us to the SB.

7 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Yes, he won a SB.  Also only 5 winning seasons out of 10. 

He won when he had a good defense.  Pagano hasn't had that luxury yet. 

He's had the luxury of a good offense, and he screws that up continually. What makes you think he could use a good defense properly? The offense, while top ten stat wise, struggles most games and hinders the team. If Chuck can't use the unit that has Luck effectively, I have no faith he can use an improved defense effectively.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

He's had the luxury of a good offense, and he screws that up continually. What makes you think he could use a good defense properly? The offense, while top ten stat wise, struggles most games and hinders the team. If Chuck can't use the unit that has Luck effectively, I have no faith he can use an improved defense effectively.

Objection, speculation.

1 minute ago, braveheartcolt said:

Objection, speculation.

The slow starts aren't speculation at all. Trailing by double digits consistently is fact, not fiction. We constantly struggle with our best unit, and ironically, sometimes the defense actually keeps us in games vs bad offenses like the Jags. It may be speculation that he can't use an improved defense effectively, but it's fact that he can't use our better unit, the offense, effectively and consistently well. I know the Saints have a serious defense problem, but at least their offense always comes through. I'd rather be them and know exactly what to fix. 

39 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

The slow starts aren't speculation at all. Trailing by double digits consistently is fact, not fiction. We constantly struggle with our best unit, and ironically, sometimes the defense actually keeps us in games vs bad offenses like the Jags. It may be speculation that he can't use an improved defense effectively, but it's fact that he can't use our better unit, the offense, effectively and consistently well. I know the Saints have a serious defense problem, but at least their offense always comes through. I'd rather be them and know exactly what to fix. 

Slow starts. We were leading by the end of Q1 on more occasions than we were losing last year. 

40 minutes ago, braveheartcolt said:

Slow starts. We were leading by the end of Q1 on more occasions than we were losing last year. 

Going back to 2013 (because we can't count 2012 on Chuck's resume can we?) in the 1st Qtr the points differential breaks down as:

Positive: 27 Games

Even: 11 Games

Negative: 26 Games

Surprising... 

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

I looked it up, and in 10 games last year, we scored 3 or less points in the 1st quarter. The fact that we were leading just means our defense started off well. It doesn't cover up the fact that our offense played like cr@p, and put us in situations where the defense's effort was in vain and couldn't hold them all game. 10 games with 3 or less points in the 1st. Imagine that. That's why Luck has to play comeback most games at the end, the defense blows it in the 2nd quarter (which is where we are down by double digits more often than the 1st quarter, my apologies), and Luck is forced to go pass happy in the 2nd half. That's not a way to run a offense. Maybe you're happy with that, trying to score two tds to tie a game, but the rest of us aren't around here, and that's why Pagano isn't popular on these forums.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I looked it up, and in 10 games last year, we scored 3 or less points in the 1st quarter. The fact that we were leading just means our defense started off well. It doesn't cover up the fact that our offense played like cr@p, and put us in situations where the defense's effort was in vain and couldn't hold them all game. 10 games with 3 or less points in the 1st. Imagine that. That's why Luck has to play comeback most games at the end, the defense blows it in the 2nd quarter (which is where we are down by double digits more often than the 1st quarter, my apologies), and Luck is forced to go pass happy in the 2nd half. That's not a way to run a offense. Maybe you're happy with that, trying to score two tds to tie a game, but the rest of us aren't around here, and that's why Pagano isn't popular on these forums.

True, we've had slow starts.  But stats don't always tell the story.  On average the first quarter is the least highest for the entire NFL.   It's when teams are searching for the mismatch, etc.  (2nd and 4th are highest)

So while we have started slow in the past, and you want to blame Pagano, do you not give credit to the coaches for finding ways to make comebacks at the ends of games?   

I maintain that that given the same offense as last year, if our D was just a hair better, we're a playoff team.  

2 hours ago, Smonroe said:

True, we've had slow starts.  But stats don't always tell the story.  On average the first quarter is the least highest for the entire NFL.   It's when teams are searching for the mismatch, etc.  (2nd and 4th are highest)

So while we have started slow in the past, and you want to blame Pagano, do you not give credit to the coaches for finding ways to make comebacks at the ends of games?   

I maintain that that given the same offense as last year, if our D was just a hair better, we're a playoff team.  

I mostly give Luck that credit. The bottom line is that once we are down by double digits, the opponent starts to play the game of running down the clock. They'll still try to score, but the play pattern will usually either be run,run,run, or run,run,pass, vs us and we've fortunately, been able to stop them and put up some points in the 2nd half. That doesn't mean we are good, it just means the opponent is playing conservatively, and Luck can pick them apart easier. We are also abandoning the run game more often than not in the 2nd half, so Luck's stats are magnified, the yards per game are magnified, and it ends up being where we score most of our points. I think the no-huddle also is very beneficial to us in the 2nd half, something Peyton did the entire game, but we only do at certain times. 

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Well no.  Slow starts are because of the coach, comebacks are because of the QB.

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!!!!!!!!.  

3 hours ago, Smonroe said:

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

Well no.  Slow starts are because of the coach, comebacks are because of the QB.

EVERYONE KNOWS THAT!!!!!!!!!.  

35 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I mostly give Luck that credit. 

See.

Just now, Coffeedrinker said:

See.

Well, if the coach had a good gameplan, we wouldn't of scored 3 or less points in the first quarter in 10 games and Luck wouldn't have to go pass happy to win the games he can. When you struggle in the 1st quarter (and mostly the 1st half) all year, yes, putting the team on Luck's shoulders and forcing him to pass the 2nd half makes me give Luck the credit. Pagano panics, his gameplan doesn't work on offense, and Luck bails him out (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

Well, if the coach had a good gameplan, we wouldn't of scored 3 or less points in the first quarter in 10 games and Luck wouldn't have to go pass happy to win the games he can. When you struggle in the 1st quarter (and mostly the 1st half) all year, yes, putting the team on Luck's shoulders and forcing him to pass the 2nd half makes me give Luck the credit. Pagano panics, his gameplan doesn't work on offense, and Luck bails him out (sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't).

One could also say, if the players made plays they wouldn't have scored 3 or less points in the 1st quarter.

Luck has often been just as much the reason the team got down in the first place as he has been in helping them to come back.

Just now, braveheartcolt said:

We play well, it's on Luck. We play bad, it's on the coach. Such hate is pathetic. At least be fair with all the bile you chuck out.

Iam. Pagano does his power run game early, we fall behind. He leans on Luck in the 2nd half, we score points. How hard is this for you to figure out?

3 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

Luck has often been just as much the reason the team got down in the first place as he has been in helping them to come back.

Luck commits turnovers, but we ultimately score the most points when he is going pass happy. When we are running with Gore and revolving around the run, we score little to no points. When the offense revolves around Luck in the 2nd half, we are a real football team.

20 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

One could also say, if the players made plays they wouldn't have scored 3 or less points in the 1st quarter.

Maybe 1/2 of the Colts fans would say that, but 31 1/2 of the other teams fans wouldn't. You are making excuses for Pagano. His gameplans don't work. We score very little early, fall behind, and Pagano panics and relies on Luck in the 2nd half like he should in the 1st. We should have an offense like the Saints or Packers, instead, we have one like the Rams early in the game.