Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay sounds pumped up!

RockThatBlue

3 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Luck commits turnovers, but we ultimately score the most points when he is going pass happy. When we are running with Gore and revolving around the run, we score little to no points. When the offense revolves around Luck in the 2nd half, we are a real football team.

If they were a real football team then they wouldn't have so much trouble early on in games.  BTW, there were many times they DID come out throwing the ball but that often didn't work either.  It tends to work in the 2nd half of games when they're down by multiple scores because the other teams ease up on their defense, and unfortunately for them tend to not clamp back down in time to prevent the come from behind win. 

If Luck were as good as you advertise, then he'd have no trouble throwing the ball around the entire game long but that has not been the case.  he is a very good young QB but he has not been carrying this team to the degree that many people try to make it out to be.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

If they were a real football team then they wouldn't have so much trouble early on in games.  BTW, there were many times they DID come out throwing the ball but that often didn't work either.  It tends to work in the 2nd half of games when they're down by multiple scores because the other teams ease up on their defense, and unfortunately for them tend to not clamp back down in time to prevent the come from behind win. 

If Luck were as good as you advertise, then he'd have no trouble throwing the ball around the entire game long but that has not been the case.  he is a very good young QB but he has not been carrying this team to the degree that many people try to make it out to be.

I actually agree with this and have said it multiple times.

1 hour ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe 1/2 of the Colts fans would say that, but 31 1/2 of the other teams fans wouldn't. You are making excuses for Pagano. His gameplans don't work. We score very little early, fall behind, and Pagano panics and relies on Luck in the 2nd half like he should in the 1st. We should have an offense like the Saints or Packers, instead, we have one like the Rams early in the game.

I'm getting funny looks from the people in the office because I can stop laughing at this post.  So Pagano comes out every week with a game plan and half way through the game is throws his hands up in the air, looks at Luck and says, "I'm out of ideas, it's up to you.".

Yes I took what you type to an extreme level but that is basically what you are saying and it shows a complete lack of understanding of football, the role of coaches, specifically the head coach, and what happens during the a game.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Maybe 1/2 of the Colts fans would say that, but 31 1/2 of the other teams fans wouldn't. You are making excuses for Pagano. His gameplans don't work. We score very little early, fall behind, and Pagano panics and relies on Luck in the 2nd half like he should in the 1st. We should have an offense like the Saints or Packers, instead, we have one like the Rams early in the game.

Serious question, who do you blame for NE's slow start in the SB...was it bellichick or mcdaniels that came up with that game plan that clearly didn't work?

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

Serious question, who do you blame for NE's slow start in the SB...was it bellichick or mcdaniels that came up with that game plan that clearly didn't work?

I blame belichick, but I also know for a fact that these two teams haven't faced each other in a long time, especially the new look falcons team that made the SB, so they were feeling each other out before belichick made 2nd half adjustments. I also will give Belichick the benefit of the doubt, because he's rarely in a situation where his team is down a lot. They play solid offense and defense the majority of the time, and rarely does one unit let them down enough to cost them the game like us.

2 hours ago, Coffeedrinker said:

I'm getting funny looks from the people in the office because I can stop laughing at this post.  So Pagano comes out every week with a game plan and half way through the game is throws his hands up in the air, looks at Luck and says, "I'm out of ideas, it's up to you.".

Yes I took what you type to an extreme level but that is basically what you are saying and it shows a complete lack of understanding of football, the role of coaches, specifically the head coach, and what happens during the a game.

It may not be exactly what happens, but it sure seems like it. Consistent slow starts with a power run game (10 starts in the 1st with 3 or less points on offense). We were able to score on the Jets, Vikings, and Packers (before they put their run together at the of the season) at will, but that's about it. We still make beating the AFC South difficult, and it's sad as a Colts fan. If we leaned on Luck all throughout the game, and ran to set up the pass, we'd be doing much better (as evidence from our 2nd half performance). I may just be a fan, but I don't see how it's so hard for people to figure this out. We basically do our power run game early, struggle, fall behind most of the time, and Luck tries to comeback in the 2nd half and get us the win. It's what's happened all year and it's infuriating. Even when our defense does well, our offense does equally not so well.

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Obviously I was kidding, but my point was that when I look at the Colts offense I don't say to myself "that's a power running unit right there." When I think power run I think the '16 Pats & Blount, '14 Seahawks & Lynch, '05 Steelers & Bettis, etc. 

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Obviously I was kidding, but my point was that when I look at the Colts offense I don't say to myself "that's a power running unit right there." When I think power run I think the '16 Pats & Blount, '14 Seahawks & Lynch, '05 Steelers & Bettis, etc. 

Well, Gore isn't that type of runner, but Pagano has used him like that strictly in the 1st half a lot. I don't have the exact stats on this, but I would bet the majority of Gore's carries last year came in the 1st half.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

We're not a power running unit at all, but I truly believe that's Chuck's vision for the offense, and he tries to implement it in the 1st half a lot. When it doesn't work, he'll abandon it and have Luck throw the ball the 2nd half. Rinse and repeat the majority of games.

2 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Well, Gore isn't that type of runner, but Pagano has used him like that strictly in the 1st half a lot. I don't have the exact stats on this, but I would bet the majority of Gore's carries last year came in the 1st half.

I cant say for Gore specifically, but in 2016 our team rushes per half are 197 in the first half and 189 in the second. Its not really that much of a difference to be honest. In fact considering how many times we have to come back (and had to abandon the run), you would think that the difference should be much higher. 

Although another interesting thing to note is that in games when we DID run more in the first half we ended up 5-2 this year vs 3-6 when we ran more in the second. Its probable that it is just a coincidence based on the small sample size (and a bunch of other possible factors), but definitely raises enough of a question to merit further research. If the numbers held up then the data would suggest we run MORE in the first half. 

14 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I blame belichick, but I also know for a fact that these two teams haven't faced each other in a long time, especially the new look falcons team that made the SB, so they were feeling each other out before belichick made 2nd half adjustments. I also will give Belichick the benefit of the doubt, because he's rarely in a situation where his team is down a lot. They play solid offense and defense the majority of the time, and rarely does one unit let them down enough to cost them the game like us.

BB even said during the SB that he does not make second half adjustments.  His exact words were, "If you wait until half time to make adjustments then it's already too late."

But according to your line of thinking, the Falcons were the better coached team in the SB, in the 2nd half BB just leaned on Brady.

2 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

BB even said during the SB that he does not make second half adjustments.  His exact words were, "If you wait until half time to make adjustments then it's already too late."

But according to your line of thinking, the Falcons were the better coached team in the SB, in the 2nd half BB just leaned on Brady.

Until the very end where Kyle shanahan made that horrible decision to pass 3 times and not run it where they could of kicked a fg, yes, the falcons were the better coached team and they leaned on Brady the 2nd half.

Here's what you're missing though. In the majority of games, probably around 90%, the Pats start strong. They put up points early and often. They also have a very stingy defense. When they build a lead, they rarely lose it. That game was an outlier for them. Rarely are they so overmatched. Consistently we are overmatched. That's 1 of maybe 2 or 3 games the entire year where the Pats relied on a Brady comeback in the 2nd half. We had double digit games where we relied on Luck to get us back in it in the 2nd half. No comparision between us and the Pats, and especially no comparision between Belichick and Pagano.

12 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Gore had 150 carries in the first half and 112 in the 2nd.  Which makes sense because they like to have Gore on a snap count.

As a team counting the 4 major backs for the Colts (Gore, Turbin, Todman and Ferguson, the Colts had 16 more carries in the first half than the 2nd half.

Oddly enough Luck also had more throws in the first half than the 2nd half, 277 to 265.  So how does that fit into your power running theory?

2 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

Until the very end where Kyle shanahan made that horrible decision to pass 3 times and not run it where they could of kicked a fg, yes, the falcons were the better coached team and they leaned on Brady the 2nd half.

Here's what you're missing though. In the majority of games, probably around 90%, the Pats start strong. They put up points early and often. They also have a very stingy defense. When they build a lead, they rarely lose it. That game was an outlier for them. Rarely are they so overmatched. Consistently we are overmatched. That's 1 of maybe 2 or 3 games the entire year where the Pats relied on a Brady comeback in the 2nd half. We had double digit games where we relied on Luck to get us back in it in the 2nd half. No comparision between us and the Pats, and especially no comparision between Belichick and Pagano.

No one said anything about comparing BB and Pagano.

But I do find it funny that rather that admitting the hole in your "logic" you double down and claim the Falcons were the better coached team in the SB.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

Gore had 150 carries in the first half and 112 in the 2nd.  Which makes sense because they like to have Gore on a snap count.

As a team counting the 4 major backs for the Colts (Gore, Turbin, Todman and Ferguson, the Colts had 16 more carries in the first half than the 2nd half.

Oddly enough Luck also had more throws in the first half than the 2nd half, 277 to 265.  So how does that fit into your power running theory?

It is odd, and it doesn't, but Gore did run more in the 1st half, so Iam correct on that. That is really odd that Luck threw more in the first half, very surprising. I know when Luck balled out in the 2nd half, he usually scored quick at times, but it still doesn't make total sense. Maybe I'm off a bit. Hey, I can admit it, lol.

3 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

But I do find it funny that rather that admitting the hole in your "logic" you double down and claim the Falcons were the better coached team in the SB.

They were until Shanahan blew it. I get that the score in the end is all that matters, but that was a catastrophe. It just seems like this is a post to defend Pagano by saying the Pats fell behind in the SB like the Colts do in half their games, and I was saying this is the exception to the norm for them.

21 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It is odd, and it doesn't, but Gore did run more in the 1st half, so Iam correct on that. That is really odd that Luck threw more in the first half, very surprising. I know when Luck balled out in the 2nd half, he usually scored quick at times, but it still doesn't make total sense. Maybe I'm off a bit. Hey, I can admit it, lol.

I think there are a lot of factors that go into our slow starts and it is beyond simply running the ball too much. We have had lots of early drives stalled out by drops, penalties or turnovers that had little or nothing to do with how much we ran the ball. I think a lot of it has to do with the lack of experience for a lot of our offensive players. Seems like it gets easier for our players to focus as the game goes (although the other team getting ahead and backing off probably doesnt hurt either). 

To be honest I think I prefer to have the dumb mistakes in the first half vs the second half. At least you have a chance to make it back up when it happens early. 

51 minutes ago, Coffeedrinker said:

To be fair, I was the one who brought BB into the conversation. 

44 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

They were until Shanahan blew it. I get that the score in the end is all that matters, but that was a catastrophe. It just seems like this is a post to defend Pagano by saying the Pats fell behind in the SB like the Colts do in half their games, and I was saying this is the exception to the norm for them.

I'm not sure if you were speaking directly to Coffeedrinker's post, or to the general idea of bringing BB into the conversation so I wanted to clarify why I brought BB into the conversation.  Mainly, I just wanted to see if you were consistent.  If you blame Pagano (instead of Chud) for the poor starts on offense, I wanted to see if you were consistent in blaming BB and not McDaniels...and you were. :)

1 hour ago, GoColts8818 said:

I think this is Irsay attempting to get the fan base excited after two subpar seasons, firing the GM, and people still being upset about the head coach, rather deserved or underserved. 

To me, it's like getting a PS4 for Christmas (Ballard), and only having DVD's to play it on (Pagano). We needed to get rid of Pagano to have any real excitement this year.

10 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

To me, it's like getting a PS4 for Christmas (Ballard), and only having DVD's to play it on (Pagano). We needed to get rid of Pagano to have any real excitement this year.

That ship has sailed.  For better or worse Pagano is going to be the head coach for the coming season.

23 minutes ago, Jared Cisneros said:

It really does no good to complain about Pagano at this point because he is our Coach this upcoming season. If he pulls another 8-8 or we miss the Playoffs, I am sure he will be gone then. I am just going to enjoy seeing how Ballard handles the Draft and Free Agency. If we nail both we may be much improved regardless who the Coach is.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

It really does no good to complain about Pagano at this point because he is our Coach this upcoming season. If he pulls another 8-8 or we miss the Playoffs, I am sure he will be gone then. much improved regardless who the Coach is. I am just going to enjoy seeing how Ballard handles the Draft and Free Agency. If we nail both we may be much improved regardless who the coach is.

That's mainly what I care about now. Hoping to see Ballard do some great things for the team. My expectations are very low for the season though.

Just now, Jared Cisneros said:

That's mainly what I care about now. Hoping to see Ballard do some great things for the team. My expectations are very low for the season though.

It's tough to gauge how the season will go, if we get help on Defense and the D improves, who knows? Despite have a terrible Defense and being inconsistent on Offense at times we still went 8-8. With a healthy Luck I am thinking 8-8 is the worse we can be because this past years Roster had a lot of holes.

4 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

Not that brilliant when you read it actually......

I feel, for his point, the comparison should be reversed. Your games/blu rays represent players acquired by Ballard, while the machine running them , Pagano. 

I dont agree so it's a moot point but still

On 2/20/2017 at 4:36 PM, 2006Coltsbestever said:

He is not a bottom 5 Coach, too many people in here overreact. He isn't Top half either but probably in the Top 20 - around 20th or so. So he is basically Average. Now that Ballard is the GM and our schedule on paper looks favorable I am curious to see how he does now. Grigson brought a bad atmosphere to the team. Andrew will be 100% healthy as well after shoulder surgery and plenty of rest.

Worst endorsement ever lol

10 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Worst endorsement ever lol

I thought it is sounded good :sarcasm:. I was for getting rid of both but Grigson was the worst of the 2 IMO. In all seriousness I want to see how this upcoming season plays out before I really pile on ol Chuck. The NFL is weird, some teams that are 8-8 can go to 11-5 but then again could go to 5-11.

Just now, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I thought it is sounded good :sarcasm:. I was for getting rid of both but Grigson was the worst of the 2 IMO. In a seriousness I want to see how this upcoming season plays out before I really pile on ol Chuck. The NFL is weird, some teams that are 8-8 can go to 11-5 but then again could go to 5-11.

if Chuck would just hire the appropriate offensive coordinator then I would get off his back.

mostly

a little bit

probably not

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

if Chuck would just hire the appropriate offensive coordinator then I would get off his back.

mostly

a little bit

probably not

I hear ya, Chuck does some stupid stuff like clock management at times and our slow starts are frustrating. Having said that the Players love him and do play hard for him so I want to see how 2017 plays out.