Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

2017 O-line Construction

Legend of Luck

8 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's pretty easy to fetishize over players like Leonard Fournette & Dalvin Cook when our 2 options at RB right now are a 34 year old Frank Gore, & Robert Turbin.

Just move the chains bro. We don't need 80 yard TD runs. We need to control the clock and our current RBs can do that, along with later round RB prospects. Our 34 year old RB just broke 1,000 yards for the first time for our colts in 7 years. He's tough as nails man and he proves it every year. Imagine what he could do with an improved oline. 

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

19 minutes ago, Track Guy said:

My assessment - for what it's worth is this. We have a bunch of young guys on the roster, and presumably we'll be starting 2 guys on their rookie contracts for the next few years. We can afford to pay out a decent chunk of change at this position for the next few years.

Look at the following guys under contract:

Castonzo: signed through 2019. Should remain our starting LT.

Mewhort: signed through 2017. I'd like to see him get a 2 extension at 7 - 8 mil per year. I would say longer except for the concern over his knee condition. Should remain our starting LG. Finishing his rookie contract.

Kelly: option through 2020. Lockdown at C. Rookie contract.

Clark: signed through 2019. Leading option for RT. Rookie contract.

Haeg: signed through 2019. I like him best as a versatile 6th O-lineman - you really need these kind of guys. Rookie contract.

Good: signed through 2018. Decent depth guy at G, I'd prefer that to be his role for the next couple seasons. Rookie contract.

Reitz: signed through 2017. Versatile backup - I'd have him play out his contract but he's not really the future.

Blythe: signed through 2019. The backup center role is his ceiling really, but I'm fine with him being penciled in there for now. Rookie contract.

If we could land Kevin Zeitler, I think we can afford the 10 - 11 mil per year he will command. We're riding pretty cheap on the O-line right now, and will be through 2019. Even if we're paying out 18 mil per year at the guard position through 2019 (which is a lot) we're paying low numbers at RT and C. We'll get a chance to reevaluate at 2019 who to re-sign and who not to out of the guys who are up: Mewhort, Castonzo, Clark, and Haeg. Sure we might lose 1 or 2 of them at that point - but for the next 3 years we would have great continuity and plenty of talent on the line. Imagine:

Castonzo - Mewhort - Kelly - Zeitler - Clark

Haeg as the 6th O-lineman.

Protect 12 and run the football well!

Good post. I'd rather have Pasztor over Zeitler though just for the price.

2 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think we sign a RG, although I'm not too high on Zeitler, wasn't Dalton the most sacked QB last year (at least the top 3).

Probably something like that but their Oline had only two good players on it. Zeitler and Whitworth. LG was passable and RT and C were disaster as Ogbuehi, Fisher and Bodine were all pretty atrocious.

I'm pretty sure Zeitler wasn't responsible for many of those sacks.

1 hour ago, theanarchist said:

I think its pretty clear that Ballard understands that the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball is priority. Finally someone understands that. Whether it be FA and draft the OL still needs talent. I think the left side and C is set. Right side is still in flux and not sure that the picks that Grigson made last year are gonna be the answer. I look for Ballard to draft an impact defensive linemen or Rush LB in the first round. So, I think a vet free agent on the OL could be an option. I think Ballard is going to draft a young RB for the future fairly early this year.

Well, in all fairness Pagano and Grigson had been preaching that too when they started. Didn't really work out too well for them, although DL was good in 2015 and OL was maybe coming together late in 2016.

6 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Turbin scored 8 tds last year and Gore honestly didn't look bad. But the defense did, it looked bad and statistically it was bad too.

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/19738/colts-need-to-address-defense-not-select-a-running-back-in-first-round-of-draft

Turbin was great in goal line situations (hence the 8 TDs), and Gore held his own and got his 1,000 yards. Respectable numbers for each guy, but nothing special. Having said that, neither is a long-term solution at RB.

Plus, the Colts have already tried the late round RB strategy a few times with guys like Josh Robinson, Vick Ballard, and Josh Ferguson, and they've ultimately turned out to be wasted draft picks. I'd be able to accept getting a potential ROY type of talent in the first round if that's how it shakes out.

4 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Turbin was great in goal line situations (hence the 8 TDs), and Gore held his own and got his 1,000 yards. Respectable numbers for each guy, but nothing special. Having said that, neither is a long-term solution at RB.

Plus, the Colts have already tried the late round RB strategy a few times with guys like Josh Robinson, Vick Ballard, and Josh Ferguson, and they've ultimately turned out to be wasted draft picks. I'd be able to accept getting a potential ROY type of talent in the first round if that's how it shakes out.

He(Turbin) wasn't given many chances elsewhere. And I know they aren't long term. But yes they had respectable numbers/performances, can you say the same about our front 7 or secondary? 

And none of those guys were touted like the mid round RBs in this year's draft... and Ballard was awesome until he got hurt. 

25 minutes ago, NannyMcafee said:

Just move the chains bro. We don't need 80 yard TD runs. We need to control the clock and our current RBs can do that, along with later round RB prospects. Our 34 year old RB just broke 1,000 yards for the first time for our colts in 7 years. He's tough as nails man and he proves it every year. Imagine what he could do with an improved oline. 

I don't disagree, and I like Frank as much as anyone, but I'm not going to be too upset if we end up with a blue chip RB in the draft.

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree. I want to lock down RG and let Haeg and Clark work at RT. Reitz and Good are still here for depth. 

And of course, better play calling. 

I want to bet you 3 bananas and 2 apples that Indy let's Reitz walk. Not saying he's a horrible player but he's the following.

1) Not a good option to start at either guard or tackle.

2) Considering #1 , he's not cheap at 2.4 mill for 2017. Zero cap hit if let go.

3) Colts have 2 guys that can play T or G already in Haeg and Good. So another team might value his versatility a bit more.

4) Could be the Colts value Harrison more and not out of the question they could like Blythe a bit ? That would possibly put him on the bubble as that's 8 without Reitz. He has no upside while Blythe and Harrison do ?

5) Really had trouble staying healthy . Inactive many weeks due to injury and when he did return to practice he appeared to be behind even Harrison on the depth chart ?

I don't like talking about a player maybe being cut but I'm surprised that everyone is just automatically adding him to the mix. I know we have cap room but seems to me that it could be better used . He no doubt fits on a lot of rosters and I know it's paramount to protect Luck but I don't think he's a good fit considering what we presently have on the roster. If the plan is adding a free agent or a draft pick to the O line mix , he looks like he moves on to me.

10 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

He(Turbin) wasn't given many chances elsewhere. And I know they aren't long term. But yes they had respectable numbers/performances, can you say the same about our front 7 or secondary? 

And none of those guys were touted like the mid round RBs in this year's draft... and Ballard was awesome until he got hurt. 

It's a foregone conclusion that our front 7 is going to see a massive overhaul this year. Drafting a good RB isn't going to change that one way or the other. I'll be happy with a really good edge rusher, a CB, or in despite what other fans think, a RB.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I don't disagree, and I like Frank as much as anyone, but I'm not going to be too upset if we end up with a blue chip RB in the draft.

Last year I was all for taking Zeke Elliott if he fell to us.  I was lambasted by the "YOU NEVER TAKE A RUNNING BACK IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!" crowd.  One guy insisted he was slow and couldn't catch.

I wouldn't be too upset either, but my question on Fournette is his durability, and Cook is his size.  Personally I like Cook's attitude.  Both of them have the talent.

1 minute ago, Smonroe said:

Last year I was all for taking Zeke Elliott if he fell to us.  I was lambasted by the "YOU NEVER TAKE A RUNNING BACK IN THE FIRST ROUND!!!!" crowd.  One guy insisted he was slow and couldn't catch.

Having a RB put up 1,631 rushing yards and 15 TDs would be a real bummer, wouldn't it?

6 minutes ago, Finball said:

Probably wouldn't be putting those kind of numbers behind our oline; minus Kelly.

Run blocking wasn't as much of an issue last year. Pass blocking was a struggle with all the shuffling around with rookies, but they did a decent job running the ball. If playcalling improves, and they aren't telegraphing every run play, it'll be even better.

33 minutes ago, dw49 said:

I want to bet you 3 bananas and 2 apples that Indy let's Reitz walk. Not saying he's a horrible player but he's the following.

1) Not a good option to start at either guard or tackle.

2) Considering #1 , he's not cheap at 2.4 mill for 2017. Zero cap hit if let go.

3) Colts have 2 guys that can play T or G already in Haeg and Good. So another team might value his versatility a bit more.

4) Could be the Colts value Harrison more and not out of the question they could like Blythe a bit ? That would possibly put him on the bubble as that's 8 without Reitz. He has no upside while Blythe and Harrison do ?

5) Really had trouble staying healthy . Inactive many weeks due to injury and when he did return to practice he appeared to be behind even Harrison on the depth chart ?

I don't like talking about a player maybe being cut but I'm surprised that everyone is just automatically adding him to the mix. I know we have cap room but seems to me that it could be better used . He no doubt fits on a lot of rosters and I know it's paramount to protect Luck but I don't think he's a good fit considering what we presently have on the roster. If the plan is adding a free agent or a draft pick to the O line mix , he looks like he moves on to me.

I don't think you're off base at all. He has a lot to prove. But I figure he'll be in camp. 

1) He's had some good games at both positions. I think he's better at guard, but he gets hurt whenever he plays guard. If he has to fill in for a couple weeks, he's serviceable, at worst. I will concede that he didn't play well in 2016, but I believe he was less than 100%.

2) Considering how hard it is to find even decent OL, $2.4m for a veteran swing backup with versatility isn't a high premium. It's 1.4% of the salary cap. I wouldn't be chopping him due to salary.

3) I think he's good competition for Good and Haeg, who need a lot of refinement. (If you could combine those two, you'd have a HOFer, I think.) 

4) I personally don't think much of Harrison or Blythe. Blythe is a center only, and if someone gets squeezed out of the 9-10 man OL group, he has to go. I think Harrison is a bad player, and if it were up to me he wouldn't be on the roster anymore. I don't think he fits Philbin's philosophy, and I doubt he's retained. He's an RFA; I wouldn't even give him the low tender of $1.7m. 

5) This is a big deal. He hasn't been able to stay healthy since he's been here. He'll be 32, so it's probably not going to get better. He's definitely not in the future plans.

I'm not locking him in to a final roster spot. He definitely needs to earn his keep, and if he doesn't, he could be a camp cut. I just wouldn't get rid of him any time soon. 

58 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Run blocking wasn't as much of an issue last year. Pass blocking was a struggle with all the shuffling around with rookies, but they did a decent job running the ball. If playcalling improves, and they aren't telegraphing every run play, it'll be even better.

lol

you mean like line up in that pro set with Gore the only one in the backfield.... tight splits on the line.  Hut...hand off to Gore... bounce off the guards back side but he somehow pops through and slivers out for about two yards.... try it again with exactly the same formation but get stuffed.... and then pass the ball 12 yards down field to watch Dorsett drop it.... then punt?  Is that what you mean by that statement?  It sure seems to have gone like that a lot last year.  Maybe not quite that bad and it certainly improved once well fell to three touchdowns behind and woke up a little.  Man I hope it gets better this year.

I love Gore.... but I do hope we draft a RB.  Contrary to most, it does make sense.

2 minutes ago, BR-549 said:

lol

you mean like line up in that pro set with Gore the only one in the backfield.... tight splits on the line.  Hut...hand off to Gore... bounce off the guards back side but he somehow pops through and slivers out for about two yards.... try it again with exactly the same formation but get stuffed.... and then pass the ball 12 yards down field to watch Dorsett drop it.... then punt?  Is that what you mean by that statement?  It sure seems to have gone like that a lot last year.  Maybe not quite that bad and it certainly improved once well fell to three touchdowns behind and woke up a little.  Man I hope it gets better this year.

That's exactly what I meant LOL. Gore did net 1,000 yards so the run blocking could've been a lot worse, but I can't say the same for the playcalling at certain times, particularly early in games. They seemed to find somewhat of a comfort level later in the season, so I chalk that up to it being the first full season of running a new scheme.

1 hour ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Ballard not being the starting back has hurt in many ways... Not blaming him at all, but had he stayed healthy the make-up of the team could look significantly different... 

1 hour ago, Mr Clueless said:

Well, in all fairness Pagano and Grigson had been preaching that too when they started. Didn't really work out too well for them, although DL was good in 2015 and OL was maybe coming together late in 2016.

Grigson preached it but he failed miserably. He didn't have one FA offensive linemen work out. He tried to patch a huge gaping hole in the pass rush by signing an over the hill Trent Cole. I'm glad Grigson is gone. We'll see if Ballard practices what he preaches

43 minutes ago, Superman said:

I don't think you're off base at all. He has a lot to prove. But I figure he'll be in camp. 

1) He's had some good games at both positions. I think he's better at guard, but he gets hurt whenever he plays guard. If he has to fill in for a couple weeks, he's serviceable, at worst. I will concede that he didn't play well in 2016, but I believe he was less than 100%.

2) Considering how hard it is to find even decent OL, $2.4m for a veteran swing backup with versatility isn't a high premium. It's 1.4% of the salary cap. I wouldn't be chopping him due to salary.

3) I think he's good competition for Good and Haeg, who need a lot of refinement. (If you could combine those two, you'd have a HOFer, I think.) 

4) I personally don't think much of Harrison or Blythe. Blythe is a center only, and if someone gets squeezed out of the 9-10 man OL group, he has to go. I think Harrison is a bad player, and if it were up to me he wouldn't be on the roster anymore. I don't think he fits Philbin's philosophy, and I doubt he's retained. He's an RFA; I wouldn't even give him the low tender of $1.7m. 

5) This is a big deal. He hasn't been able to stay healthy since he's been here. He'll be 32, so it's probably not going to get better. He's definitely not in the future plans.

I'm not locking him in to a final roster spot. He definitely needs to earn his keep, and if he doesn't, he could be a camp cut. I just wouldn't get rid of him any time soon. 

I also like him better at guard.

I think when you can draft a player with some upside and pay around 5-600K for the first year , 2.4 is not cheap for Reitz

I don't like Harrison much either. He seems to play Ok for a stretch and then wiff on a game changing play.

I guess we really aren't that far apart on this. 

16 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

That's exactly what I meant LOL. Gore did net 1,000 yards so the run blocking could've been a lot worse, but I can't say the same for the playcalling at certain times, particularly early in games. They seemed to find somewhat of a comfort level later in the season, so I chalk that up to it being the first full season of running a new scheme.

Right.... I agree.  

I was actually amazed at times at how much Frank would gain when the play looked doomed.  I also agree that we seemed to find a running game rhythm later in the year.... you could almost feel it getting better.  However I remember finding myself missing the days of the stretch play with Edge and the explosiveness of  Addai.

I really want to get back to that.  It opens up the rest of the offense as you all know.

Sorry .... getting off topic.

3 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

I'm anxious to see how Clark will look in training camp. And if Haeg got stronger(noticeably) I think he'd be a starting guard. 

The ideal situation! Everybody in here talking about spending big on the o-line, what about that sack of doocky we call a defense

3 minutes ago, Tmoney said:

The ideal situation! Everybody in here talking about spending big on the o-line, what about that sack of doocky we call a defense

Yup we've used high resources on the offense side of the ball for years, it's time for the defense now. I believe that's why griggles is gone and our savior Ballard is here now. 

IMHO the o-line play overall improved last year. Obviously, there is room for more improvement. Only the coaches and now Ballard know their long term plans. It does look as though a starting-quality offensive lineman at almost any position would be a good pick up. If Philbin is worried about any of the rooks from last year, we might see more. Protecting Luck better must continue to be a priority. A better defense would serve to tire the opposing D to a greater degree and certainly help the offense. I think concentrating on the D is key this year.

4 hours ago, Colt Overseas said:

I think we sign a RG, although I'm not too high on Zeitler, wasn't Dalton the most sacked QB last year (at least the top 3). I think Marmock from the Titans is good. From hearing Ballard's interviews I think he will continue to build in the trenches. We still need a little more depth as Reitz, Good and Mewhort are quite injury prone.

I think this would be a good situation next year.

Costanzo (Reitz)

Mewhort (Harrison)

Kelly (Blythe)

Warmock (Good)

Clark (Haeg)

I think Reitz, Harrison & Blythe are 2nd/3rd tier players that don't meet the position competition definition articulated by Chris Ballard. 

Personally, I don't want to see anything more than a cheap veteran signing or late round draft pick on the O-line. We have spent a lot of resources on improving that O-line and we have to let them develop. Haeg and Clark could very well be the future at RG and RT, but we'll never know if we go out and sign Kevin Zeitler and Ricky Wagner. Our line wasn't as bad as people make it out to be, and some of the pass protection issues come from Luck holding the ball too long. 

I want all defense this offseason. Every position on that side needs upgrades. Let Andrew be the generational QB he was brought in to be.

Honestly I think our line will improve if we dont keep shuffling it around. Adding in another player to learn the system at this point would stunt the progression of the players we have. Yes getting a top RG would probably help, but I think if we gave Good/Haeg/Clark the chance to fight it out then at least one of them will come out looking like a starter. If we dont give them the chances on the field we wont ever know. The way the CBA has neutered practices basically means that in game experience is the only way for a young lineman to get the reps in. They cant do that if all 3 of them are vying for 1 spot. 

I think in the long run our best bet would be to let the kids play it out in 2017, and then go after a LT early in the 2018 draft if need be. That would solve all of our problems as it gives us a player we can plug in at RT for his rookie season, and eventually take over for AC. We wouldnt be paying big $ for him for a few years and can afford to keep AC on as a RT if need be. 

Definitely not a quick fix, but I think in the long run it would be just as effective and give us more resources to fix the defense in the meantime. 

1 hour ago, dw49 said:

I also like him better at guard.

I think when you can draft a player with some upside and pay around 5-600K for the first year , 2.4 is not cheap for Reitz

I don't like Harrison much either. He seems to play Ok for a stretch and then wiff on a game changing play.

I guess we really aren't that far apart on this. 

It's not cheap, but it's not quite veteran starter rate. 

This came up earlier and fwiw, PFF says this

82. Kevin Zeitler, RG, Cincinnati Bengals (unranked)

Kevin Zeitler has developed into one of the league’s most solid and dependable guards. He has now recorded five straight seasons of consistently-strong grading, and all but one of those years have been well balanced between run blocking and pass protection. This season, he allowed only one sack and 19 total QB pressures across all 16 games, and didn’t allow a sack for the final 15-straight games.

Best performance: Week 7 vs. Browns, 88.8 grade

Key stat: Zeitler didn’t miss a snap all year, playing 100 percent of the team’s 1,087 snaps on offense.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/pro-top-101-players-from-the-2016-nfl-season/

Now how likely he is to keep up that performance and is he worth the gamble in huge money is a different question.

4 hours ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Turbin scored 8 tds last year and Gore honestly didn't look bad. But the defense did, it looked bad and statistically it was bad too.

http://www.espn.com/blog/indianapolis-colts/post/_/id/19738/colts-need-to-address-defense-not-select-a-running-back-in-first-round-of-draft

Why do people act like only first round picks count?

I'm with you, I think it would be a mistake to draft a RB in the first round, and I apply that rule across the board. But I strongly disagree with needs-based drafting, and I don't think 'the Colts need to draft [insert position group] in the first round' is sound draft strategy. I also don't think that the only way to address whatever needs you want to address is by doing so in the first round.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Why do people act like only first round picks count?

I'm with you, I think it would be a mistake to draft a RB in the first round, and I apply that rule across the board. But I strongly disagree with needs-based drafting, and I don't think 'the Colts need to draft [insert position group] in the first round' is sound draft strategy.

Don't know what that means, all I've said is I'm ready to spend a 1st on a blue chip defender. 

I've said cb, ilb, olb, DE, basically any defense is what I want. I don't see how we would be reaching if there's a 1st talent that we need ? Don't see how there won't be one at #15 either.

5 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

No one has mentioned Thornton at all.  I believe he is still on the roster after he went to IR.  I thought he was gone last year but he made the roster.  I see him as a casualty but who knows. 

2016 was his contract year. He would need to be resigned otherwise hes not with us anymore. I think its pretty much accepted as fact (as far as this board is concerned) that he isnt going to be back. 

8 hours ago, Legend of Luck said:

Hey guys, glad to be back after being away for a while.

I wanted to start a conversation about how best to construct the 2017 O-line.

We've spent so many draft picks on young O-line talent, some have hit, some have not. But, we can't afford to keep waiting for these young guys to develop. We need to start protecting Andrew and winning now.

With the left side of the line in tact, I think it's imperative that we sign a RG in free agency. Not only do we need an upgrade at that position, but the level of talent available in free agency is outstanding.

Possible Targets-

RG- Luke Joeckel, T.J. Lang, Chance Warmack, Ron Leary

These are just 4 of the available options, but getting any of those 4 would be an immediate boost. Joeckel and Warmack are only 25, Leary is 27, and Lang is 29. They could be long term solutions at guard for us.

Now, at RT, I'm not quite sure what the best move is. I feel like Haeg or Clark could take a step forward this year, and the pool of available free agents at RT isn't as deep as RG.

Possible Targets- Sebastian Vollmer, Andre Smith, Andrew Wintworth if he were to switch to RT from LT.

Most of the free agent options at RT are older. I wouldn't have a problem with signing a vet to a short deal, while Haeg and Clark develop.

But, overall, I don't think we should use any draft picks this year on the O-line. We need seasoned, talented guys to make an impact for us this year.

I'd love to hear your thoughts and opinions! Let's discuss! 

Joeckel absolutely sucks, and Warmack isn't much better. Lang, Leary, Zeitler. Pasztor is a RT who really broke out this year and became a stud. I actually think he could be a beast at RG as well, but I don't know. I like Haeg better at RG and I think he could develop into a beast there So if Haeg came in and was just balling out we could keep Pasztor at RT. We have 2 guys who I think has the talent to be very, very good in Haeg and Clark. That makes it difficult in FA.

4 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I can understand wanting better but in the years that those guys failed our oline was atrocious. We aren't saying to go without better oline picks or FA acquisitions. We are saying without an oline, odds are that the early RB pick will fail like many others. I would rather wait until next year to draft a RB early. Not saying to ignore the RB position for the next 3 years like it seems you think I want to do. Just this year. 

Tom Brady looks mediocre when he gets rushed consistently just like back ups look like HOFers against the colts. Why? Because they have forever to throw the ball. This is a major problem. When you budget, do you pay what is most needed first? Or after things that are of less a need? 

16 minutes ago, Majin Vegeta said:

Don't know what that means, all I've said is I'm ready to spend a 1st on a blue chip defender. 

I've said cb, ilb, olb, DE, basically any defense is what I want. I don't see how we would be reaching if there's a 1st talent that we need ? Don't see how there won't be one at #15 either.

In this case, the Colts have needs all over the defense, so it's hard to imagine not having a good defensive prospect on the board that's worthy of our pick. I agree with you, I don't see how the Colts can reach with this pick. Pretty much whatever they do will address a need, especially if it's a defensive player.

I'm saying I disagree with the article you posted, which is a) insisting that because the Colts biggest needs are on defense, any non-defensive pick in the first round would be a waste and a missed opportunity, and b) implying that only what you do in the first round will count toward addressing your weaknesses.