Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

I Hope This Is Not True/ Irsay chooses grigson over gruden....(merge)

Coltsfan1284

• Replies 340
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

8 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I mean it breaking down due to Grigson.  You don't go after guys like gruden and manning with the expectation that a guy like Grigson is safe.  If he did, then he's a fool.

Yeah, I don't think Irsay is a fool. It doesn't make sense. 

4 minutes ago, esmort said:

Not the same thing at all.  Manning could potentially bring more value than the % of ownership you gave up is worth. Companies sell equity all the time for various reasons: assets, cash, etc... It's reasonable to assume that the NFL will not always be as popular as it currently is... In addition to what other things Manning would bring to the franchise the cash Manning pays for his stake could be invested by Irsay in other places. 

Last I seen Zuckerberg only owns a little over 25% of Facebook... He seems to be doing OK, and maintains control. 

Very different situation. Facebook is a huge entity with stock, etc. The Colts would be counting on Manning (depending on the role he would be given) to be good at bringing and evaluating talent. It's a huge risk to give someone stake in your team when he has no experience in the job you would potentially give him. I love Peyton and I would love for him to come back but I don't think giving him a stake right away necessarily makes a ton of sense.

5 minutes ago, #12. said:

That's the question, isn't it?

I never considered Irsay the sharpest tool in the shed, luckily he was born on 3rd base, but I can't believe he would be that naive.  Then again, he found Chuck to be impressive in the interview process.

I think Wells, as always, if full of it.  It doesn't make any sense. So are we to think of Peyton was onboard, that Gruden would be happy not having control over the roster?  But if Peyton isn't, then he demands full control over his roster?  And those kind of things are known up front when you first talk to Gruden.  Both Manning and Gruden would likely want that.  So it makes no sense that when one event happens, the other happens.

Brad Wells has always tried to act more important and informed than he really is. I would put what he says in there with what National Enquirer reports.

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Let's Knock em Down is confidently tweeting that there will be a press conference on Monday and they are adamant that Pagano will be fired. 

They have been saying Pagano would definitely be fired for weeks. So far they are the only ones saying that. I'd be skeptical of this one.  Why wait until Monday to do it? Then again it's Irsay, he's not exactly stable so who knows.

26 minutes ago, VocableLoki said:

Very different situation. Facebook is a huge entity with stock, etc. The Colts would be counting on Manning (depending on the role he would be given) to be good at bringing and evaluating talent. It's a huge risk to give someone stake in your team when he has no experience in the job you would potentially give him. I love Peyton and I would love for him to come back but I don't think giving him a stake right away necessarily makes a ton of sense.

They didn't start out as huge entities... that's my point...and it was just one example...other franchises have minority owners and it doesn't seem to cause major issues.  I am sure they would limit Manning's role until he got his bearings. If the rumor is to be believed Gruden would have had roster/personnel control and Manning would start out in more if an advisory capacity. As long as Irsay retained control Manning could always be stripped of any decision making ability in the future if he wasn't good at it (which I don't think would be an issue knowing Manning's personality).  Again it's Irsay's team so if he doesn't want to give up more than a certain % (or none) that is up to him; I have no issue with whatever he decides in that area... I just don't agree with the statement that it would just automatically be stupid for him to give up a stake. As long as the stake wasn't too big and structured correctly I believe it could be a very smart move. 

3 minutes ago, esmort said:

They didn't start out as huge entities... that's my point...and it was just one example...other franchises have minority owners and it doesn't seem to cause major issues.  I am sure they would limit Manning's role until he got his bearings. If the rumor is to be believed Gruden would have had roster/personnel control and Manning would start out in more if an advisory capacity. As long as Irsay retained control Manning could always be stripped of any decision making ability in the future if he wasn't good at it (which I don't think would be an issue knowing Manning's personality).  Again it's Irsay's team so if he doesn't want to give up more than a certain % (or none) that is up to him; I have no issue with whatever he decides in that area... I just don't agree with your statement that it would just automatically be stupid for him to give up a stake. As long as the stake wasn't too big and structured correctly I believe it could be a very smart move. 

I guess I don't see the Facebook connection. It just seems pointless to bring on a minority owner when there's not a need to have one. Irsay has no idea whether Manning would be good at his job and even limiting his role at first would mean that Grigson is still around until Manning replaces him? And then if Manning isn't doing well then he is stripped of duties but remains a minority owner? Seems like a messy situation. However, I don't know if there is a precedent for this: do GM's or VP of operations (which I'm assuming would Manning's final role) every got an ownership stake?

44 minutes ago, esmort said:

Not the same thing at all.  Manning could potentially bring more value than the % of ownership you gave up is worth. Companies sell equity all the time for various reasons: assets, cash, etc... It's reasonable to assume that the NFL will not always be as popular as it currently is... In addition to what other things Manning would bring to the franchise the cash Manning pays for his stake could be invested by Irsay in other places. 

Last I seen Zuckerberg only owns a little over 25% of Facebook... He seems to be doing OK, and maintains control. 

You are talking about a company that is publicly controlled. They have had an IPO and now answer to shareholders. Control could be seized from Zuckerberg as soon as their board of directors sees fit to do so. https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/on-leadership/wp/2013/06/25/why-mens-wearhouse-fired-george-zimmer/ Here is an example of a company owner being tossed off the board. 

This is different though. Irsay has full control of the team and can do whatever he wants. And I'm not saying Peyton would be able to overthrow Irsay or ever want to or anything. I'm just saying it's not good business. This is a deal that looks alright if it works and is absolutely horrible if it doesn't. I just don't see gambling on a guy with no personnel experience by tossing him an ownership share and control of the team. 

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

Its completely baffling to me how much loyalty Irsay has to Grigson. Literally anybody who knows anything about football knows how terrible of a GM Grigson is (if you disagree go argue with your sink). 

Thinking about it again ,it doesn't make any sense for Irsay to go after a big fish like Gruden and have Grigson be in the way of giving him the right to pick his own GM. That's just bizarre if you think about it and Jim has not shown us in the past that he's afraid to make harsh decisions. 

10 minutes ago, Fisticuffs111 said:

Are the tweets still up? I'm not seeing those.

Blue HQ Media‏ @BlueHQMedia
Just spoke with a VERY reliable source who discredited the Pagano press conference rumor from earlier. Full story coming Monday! #Irsay

@afty2001 @BlueHQMedia yeah, we 100% refute this. Pagano/Irsay meeting has been scheduled

@ColtsLuck1292 stick with us. Our source won't be wrong on this

2 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Just spoke with a VERY reliable source who discredited the Pagano press conference rumor from earlier. Full story coming Monday! #Irsay

@afty2001 @BlueHQMedia yeah, we 100% refute this. Pagano/Irsay meeting has been scheduled

Meeting to give chuck another extension to say he was my coach all this time and nothing but rumors. Hope opposite to get canned.

4 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Who are these guys? Do they even have a website?

2 hours ago, Dustin said:

Its completely baffling to me how much loyalty Irsay has to Grigson. Literally anybody who knows anything about football knows how terrible of a GM Grigson is (if you disagree go argue with your sink). 

HEY!.....you only get a couple more of those

3 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

Meeting to give chuck another extension to say he was my coach all this time and nothing but rumors. Hope opposite to get canned.

So are now going to change your reporting on pagano being out

@StanleSpedowski @ColtsLuck1292 nope, we haven't changed any opinions yet and have been correct all along.

I just realized that they said "opinions". Maybe that's their way out of these claims.

Just now, Tsarquise said:

So are now going to change your reporting on pagano being out

@StanleSpedowski @ColtsLuck1292 nope, we haven't changed any opinions yet and have been correct all along.

I just realized that they said "opinions". Maybe that's their way out of these claims.

Everyone here too has an opinion.

10 minutes ago, JColts72 said:

another extension??  that's impossible and you are correct....just rumors.... these are now running rampant at a pace I've never seen before.  I mean, really, a coach just about replaced, who has had real struggles staying ahead of the game and would be given more money and years on a contract.  Not going to happen.  People are now just spewing horse-ish.  (keeping this PG  , that's horseradish).  

1 minute ago, chrisfarley said:

another extension??  that's impossible and you are correct....just rumors.... these are now running rampant at a pace I've never seen before.  I mean, really, a coach just about replaced, who has had real struggles staying ahead of the game and would be given more money and years on a contract.  Not going to happen.  People are now just spewing horse-ish.  (keeping this PG  , that's horseradish).  

It was a joke about the extension.