Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Scott Tolzien....

bluephantom87

If the Colts aspire to get better as a team this is a position that needs to be upgraded also because if Luck goes down for any EXTENDED time this team doesn't have a shot to do anything with Tolzien as qb under this coaching staff. There's a REASON Scott went undrafted and the Colts are his 4th team in like 5yrs. He looked ok (putting it mildly) against the Steelers but I can't seem to get that play out of my head in which he just fell down rolling out on the wide open bootleg from the goal line costing a sure td. His career stats consist of 2 tds and 7 ints which are subpar to say the least but this is the PROBLEM with this regime. Mediocrity is REWARED instead of being REPLACED in search of BETTER options! (see Dwayne Allen) I have a feeling that Scott's minimal talent will be exposed like Josh McNary if thrust into the starting line up for a multiple of games. At least with Matt you had a guy who could give you a shot at some wins because he had played at a high level as a starting qb for years. Matt also had led the Seahawks to a SB. Of course I know that if the "one man army" known as Luck goes down the Colts would be in BIG trouble anyway but you still need someone who can HELP stop the bleeding or it will simply be ANOTHER ready made excuse for this underwhelming regime to fall back on.    

28 minutes ago, bluephantom87 said:

If the Colts aspire to get better as a team this is a position that needs to be upgraded also because if Luck goes down for any EXTENDED time this team doesn't have a shot to do anything with Tolzien as qb under this coaching staff. There's a REASON Scott went undrafted and the Colts are his 4th team in like 5yrs. He looked ok (putting it mildly) against the Steelers but I can't seem to get that play out of my head in which he just fell down rolling out on the wide open bootleg from the goal line costing a sure td. His career stats consist of 2 tds and 7 ints which are subpar to say the least but this is the PROBLEM with this regime. Mediocrity is REWARED instead of being REPLACED in search of BETTER options! (see Dwayne Allen) I have a feeling that Scott's minimal talent will be exposed like Josh McNary if thrust into the starting line up for a multiple of games. At least with Matt you had a guy who could give you a shot at some wins because he had played at a high level as a starting qb for years. Matt also had led the Seahawks to a SB. Of course I know that if the "one man army" known as Luck goes down the Colts would be in BIG trouble anyway but you still need someone who can HELP stop the bleeding or it will simply be ANOTHER ready made excuse for this underwhelming regime to fall back on.    

you must be extremely bored to be w

orrying about Tolzien. Hes fine

Although Scott Tolzien has poor career numbers I was impressed with him against the Steelers. I mean let's be realistic here. The Steelers have an elite offense, and can put pressure on any QB. Let alone a backup QB making his first start with his new team, on Thanksgiving. He made some mistakes by throwing two picks or so but overall,he did a good job moving the ball down the field and getting us in the red zone.  TY had a drop that game which should of been a touchdown, and later in that drive he got injured.

Adam Vinatieri missed a field goal. 

The Colts couldn't stop the run.

I would say Scott struggled in the redzone more than anything, which is expected. Back up QB's and rookie QB's struggle the most in the redzone and on third downs.  You kind of have to blame coaching (although I am a Chuck supporter) for not running the ball more in the redzone.  That happened too many times this season, in short yardage situations we'd pass it. Whether the QB would get sacked or it was a drop (Phillip Dorsett on 4th down against steelers in the endzone) it would happen.

So overall is Scott the best backup QB in the world?? Probably not, but will he win you 3 of 5 games? He may very well do that, and that's all you can ask. 

He is better than Matt Moore, Tom Savage, Matt McGloin, Connor Cook to name a few that are backup QBs on playoff teams. Scott would have pushed the ball much more if not for the ungodly drops by our wide outs. He did enough to make the game competitive but our WRs didn't want any part of it that game. Where he failed was thinking he was Luck with every single of his runs, which all failed the goal line or the 1st down when he attempted those. :)

He is not a world beater but which backup QB is?

After the Curtis Painter Armageddon anyone is a plus. The money in the NFL is structured to over pay a player and continue to pay him years after he flops and left the team leaving little for the backups.  Scott Tolzien played well enough to not give fans nightmares. Look at the QB merry-go-round of the Texans after Carr left. Don't forget the fact that Luck has been beaten up for his first five years and with that fact a back up is more crucial.

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

We'd be in the playoffs if we had a better backup qb.

Meh, you'd have to have one heck of a backup to get a better result than we got in that Steelers game. Most of us had that game as an L with Luck. Tolzien actually played reasonably well, but the play calling sucked, there were dropped passes, and the defensive gameplan didn't protect us against one of the most dangerous playmakers in the league. 

If I made a list of 10 reasons we lost that game, Tolzien's play would be near the bottom. He's a serviceable backup, probably in the top half of NFL backups right now. 

6 hours ago, azcolt said:

We'd be in the playoffs if we had a better backup qb.

Are you being sarcastic? I'm not sure how that makes any sense otherwise. 

He played one game, even if we won that puts us at 9-7 and still being swept by Houston. As well as a game behind Miami for the 6th seed.... 

What you want bring Curtis Painter back? That's what I thought...

Tolzien can at least throw & scramble okay. It's not like most teams have a decent backup like Derek Anderson in Carolina for example. 

Going back to Polian: Jimmy seems to like 2nd strings QBs from WI--Sorgi; Tolzien .

this ranks right above getting a new punter for 2017 on the list of things I'm worried about this offseason.

Given the poor leadership off the field and all the onfield needs, this isn't even a blimp on the offseason radar.

1 minute ago, icf said:

this ranks right above getting a new punter for 2017 on the list of things I'm worried about this offseason.

Given the poor leadership off the field and all the onfield needs, this isn't even a blimp on the offseason radar.

What off field problems?

are we just looking for things to complain about at this point? scott tolzeins stats are pretty misleading, he doesnt play like a backup and isnt afraid to sling it down field. i truly liked what i saw from him in the steelers game, minus the red zone plays/playcalling.

The Colts have enough holes with starters, especially on defense, before they start worrying about backups.  Tolzien is backup QB in the NFL.  He can play in a rough spot but if you have to go with him for a long period of time you are in trouble, that's the case for just about any backup in the NFL though.  It's why those guys are backups, if they could handle the load for a full season they would be starters.