Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's Plane spotted in Houston this afternoon.

corgi

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, snkdy said:

He's really unreliable though.

The ones saying he will be back aren't necessarily reliable either. I'm not sure who to believe to be honest. I think Pagano and Grigson will be back, I wish Irsay would come out and say something so it all goes away.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

The ones saying he will be back aren't necessarily reliable either. I'm not sure who to believe to be honest. I think Pagano and Grigson will be back, I wish Irsay would come out and say something so it all goes away.

I'm sure we'll hear something official soon.

I know some are right that it isn't technically necessary for Irsay to come out and say something, but I wish he would.

It's not about holding out hope as much as it's about the fact that these insiders who all said Pagano is staying probably said the exact opposite last season.

I trust these insiders generally and I do think Pagano is going to be back but like some have said, I'm only really trusting Irsay's word on this. And as annoying and hypocritical as it sounds, there is a difference between saying they're coming back now and saying they're coming back a few weeks ago. There have been too many examples of coaches getting the "full support" statement before getting let go.

2 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Go look at Gruden's playoff record. He inherited a team Dungy built, who had a much better defense than the Colts. One that could easily go down with the ranking of "historic defense" and Gruden never won another playoff game after 2002. 

You should go talk to Tampa Bay fans about Gruden. They'll tell you how great of a coach he was that he ran their offense in the ground and lived solely based off a defense that Dungy built. 

Dungy gets such little respect around these fans, it's pretty sickening. Take him away, and Manning don't get a ring at all with the Colts. 

Maybe maybe not we'll never know but he did win a ring here so I wouldn't feel that bad for Dungy. 

Dungy is a good coach and the best Indy era Colts had but I never felt he was an HOF coach(despite the fact he went into the HOF) either so in that regard I do find him overrated.

3 hours ago, Synthetic said:

Go look at Gruden's playoff record. He inherited a team Dungy built, who had a much better defense than the Colts. One that could easily go down with the ranking of "historic defense" and Gruden never won another playoff game after 2002. 

You should go talk to Tampa Bay fans about Gruden. They'll tell you how great of a coach he was that he ran their offense in the ground and lived solely based off a defense that Dungy built. 

Dungy gets such little respect around these fans, it's pretty sickening. Take him away, and Manning don't get a ring at all with the Colts. 

I think Dungy was a Good Coach and Great for the city of Indianapolis but he wasn't a Great Coach as in Belichick, Knoll, Walsh, Landry, Lombardi, Shula, Gibbs, Parcells Great. I would even put Jimmy Johnson over him, Jimmy built the Cowboys from scratch and won 2 SB's in a row. I would also take Pete Carroll over him as well, Pete was awesome in college winning National Championships at USC and has made 2 SB's winning 1 in his Pro career. I just named at least 10 Coaches that are better than Dungy. I disagree regarding Manning wouldn't of got a Ring had Dungy not been in Indy. Manning went to 4 SB's with 4 different Coaches including winning one with Kubiak. The Colts didn't lose a beat when Dungy left and made the SB with Caldwell Coaching. Manning would've won 1 regardless of the Coach. Like I said Dungy was a nice fit here because he let Manning do his thing, he was a players Coach (Good Coach) but not Great.

-Dungy has been the best Coach the Colts have had while in Indy so I give him respect, but he isn't a Top 10 Coach of all-time like some make him out to be.

7 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

There is an article out about this now...

http://horseshoeheroes.com/2017/01/08/jim-irsays-plane-reportedly-in-houston-saturday-night-leading-speculation-to-swirl/

Could be nothing at all.

Could be for Gruden.

Could be for Wade Phillips.

Both Gruden and Wade were also in Houston last night per the attached article. 

If by chance it is/was for Phillips I think that'd be a win for us. I want the head coach gone, but Wade would definitely help this D. I don't think they would be great, but I think he'd be able to make them middle of the pack with another player or two from the draft and FA.

1 minute ago, IinD said:

If by chance it is/was for Phillips I think that'd be a win for us. I want the head coach gone, but Wade would definitely help this D. I don't think they would be great, but I think he'd be able to make them middle of the pack with another player or two from the draft and FA.

I agree. I would feel a little better if somehow we were able to add Wade Phillips to the staff.  Don't know if that will happen but we will see.

I'd love to see a change, especially in the area of D.  I think that the O is improving.  Wade would be great but I don't foresee any changes at all.  Same approach-same results.  It will come down to a few points here and there in terms of winning games.  If we get to the playoffs, we'll barely get there but it will be more likely that Tennessee or Houston goes before we do as they've improved exponentially while we haven't.  

1 hour ago, coltsva said:

If they are coming back he doesn't HAVE to say anything. If he's looking for an upgrade while they are still employed he CAN'T say anything. Thus the silence.

He doesn't HAVE to say anything but he should and will. He doesn't live in a vacuum. He knows people are speculating. But if the decision is to keep them he would already said as much. Owners don't like distractions and too much negative press. So the silence means everything IMO.

1 minute ago, Defjamz26 said:

He doesn't HAVE to say anything but he should and will. He doesn't live in a vacuum. He knows people are speculating. But if the decision is to keep them he would already said as much. Owners don't like distractions and too much negative press. So the silence means everything IMO.

Agree completely

Just now, Jules said:

Nothing will likely happen. Rich people fly off and go places in planes all the time.

Probably not, I said back in October we weren't firing Chuck or Grigson but yet we have a lot of people in here that have steam coming out of their ears Posting in anger daily haha. I hope those people have great blood pressure medication lmao 

7 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Wade would be a great hire, but I don't see us canning Monachino after one year. 

Maybe create a pseudo title for Wade and utlize him in a consultant capacity. Kind of like what we did when we first hired Chudzinsky before eventually moving him to Offensive Coordinator. 

4 minutes ago, RockThatBlue said:

Wade would be a great hire, but I don't see us canning Monachino after one year. 

I totally understand that thinking, but Monachino's D wasnt anything special. I get he didn't have many players to work with though.

I'd fire him if I was Jim if Wade was an option. Plenty of coaches/assistants have been fired after a year.

If it was for Wade Phillips I think Chuck would have been on the plane with him.  I don't see Jim going to talk to Wade behind Chuck's back.   That's not like Jim.  Monachino is Chucks hire.  I can't see him replacing him after one year.  If he was there to talk to anyone it was probably Gruden.  Besides Wade is still employed by the Broncos so I don't think he can do it without getting into trouble.  

9 minutes ago, coltsva said:

I imagine it would be tough for Pagano to have the Colts bring in Wade. I mean, isn't Pagano supposed to be the smartest defensive mind on the staff? 

Where did you see this? Last I knew he was a secondary "guru".... Whatever that means 

12 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

If it was for Wade Phillips I think Chuck would have been on the plane with him.  I don't see Jim going to talk to Wade behind Chuck's back.   That's not like Jim.  Monachino is Chucks hire.  I can't see him replacing him after one year.  If he was there to talk to anyone it was probably Gruden.  Besides Wade is still employed by the Broncos so I don't think he can do it without getting into trouble.  

I think the bolded part of what you said is your strongest point. 

1 minute ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Who cares about Pagano's ego here?   He should be thankful to still have his job. 

I agree, But considering they fired Manusky and brought in a first time DC tells me this is Chucks defense. I think if Wade comes here as DC Chuck would be gone. 

16 minutes ago, IinD said:

I totally understand that thinking, but Monachino's D wasnt anything special. I get he didn't have many players to work with though.

I'd fire him if I was Jim if Wade was an option. Plenty of coaches/assistants have been fired after a year.

And that too. 

4 hours ago, Synthetic said:

You talk about a defense that dungy built. But act like the manning offense was built by the same man. It is highly unlikely that manning doesn't win a SB without the likes of dungy. There are numourous people that could have been HC in the manning years. I can understand you respecting dungy but to act like he was the key to Peyton's ring here is a little bit ridiculous. And for a defense that is so highly regarded in Tampa, the lack of one in Indy (the whole reason for hiring this man) is a scar in dungys record IMO. We needed a defense in those years more than anything. If he would have done his job, Peyton would have more than one ring. 

See thay argument can go two ways.