Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Irsay's Plane spotted in Houston this afternoon.

corgi

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gruden isn't coming here.  He makes $6.5 million with ESPN so he is paid close to a top NFL Coach's salary.  He is signed through 2021.  Same money and much less stress.  Plus he loves his current gig. He already has a Super Bowl win.  He'd be a fool to give that up for the uncertainty of the NFL.

Colts have more of a chance to make a run at Wade Phillips. I don't think they will though.  I think Irsay will stand pat and do nothing as he seems to be just peachy with the current state of this franchise. 

Speaking of Phillips, it is also being reported that the Oakland Raiders may be interested at making a run at him if he is let go by Denver.  If that happens, the Raiders may emerge as the rising AFC power that many Colts fans hoped Indy would become.

20 hours ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think Dungy was a Good Coach and Great for the city of Indianapolis but he wasn't a Great Coach as in Belichick, Knoll, Walsh, Landry, Lombardi, Shula, Gibbs, Parcells Great. I would even put Jimmy Johnson over him, Jimmy built the Cowboys from scratch and won 2 SB's in a row. I would also take Pete Carroll over him as well, Pete was awesome in college winning National Championships at USC and has made 2 SB's winning 1 in his Pro career. 

Dungy was a great coach, and made the Hall of Fame for it as well.  He, along with Monte Kiffin, took some ideas Dungy learned as a defensive back under Chuck Knoll to later create the Tampa 2 defense, one that I describe as a mish-mash of Steel Curtain (Steelers) and Cover two zone type schemes, using smaller, faster,more athletic players and first defender is to slow the ball carrier, the rest are to quickly swarm in on the tackle and possible punch the ball out. He was innovative and successful, like the Walsh's, Landry's, Lombardi's etc on your list.

I just named at least 10 Coaches that are better than Dungy.

You don't have to be top ten all time to be great, and I will mention I think Bud Grant, Paul Brown, and George Halas are all above Pete Carroll and Jimmie Johnson.  Still doesn't mean Tony Dungy was creative, innovative, and successful (great).

I disagree regarding Manning wouldn't of got a Ring had Dungy not been in Indy. Manning went to 4 SB's with 4 different Coaches including winning one with Kubiak. The Colts didn't lose a beat when Dungy left and made the SB with Caldwell Coaching. Manning would've won 1 regardless of the Coach. Like I said Dungy was a nice fit here because he let Manning do his thing, he was a players Coach (Good Coach) but not Great.

-Dungy has been the best Coach the Colts have had while in Indy so I give him respect, but he isn't a Top 10 Coach of all-time like some make him out to be.

So maybe he is not top 10 all time, But he did similar things to those that are did. Developed a defense, one that was named after his football team that he he brought to his second football team. He had a successful record with multiple clubs.  Has a coaching tree under him-

Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, Leslie Frazier, Jim Caldwell, Mike Tomlin, Mike Shula, Clyde Christensen, and Joe Barry. He was a great coach that also got others (a good many of them minorities) into the coaching game.

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Dungy was a great coach, and made the Hall of Fame for it as well.  He, along with Monte Kiffin, took some ideas Dungy learned as a defensive back under Chuck Knoll to later create the Tampa 2 defense, one that I describe as a mish-mash of Steel Curtain (Steelers) and Cover two zone type schemes, using smaller, faster,more athletic players and first defender is to slow the ball carrier, the rest are to quickly swarm in on the tackle and possible punch the ball out. He was innovative and successful, like the Walsh's, Landry's, Lombardi's etc on your list.

You don't have to be top ten all time to be great, and I will mention I think Bud Grant, Paul Brown, and George Halas are all above Pete Carroll and Jimmie Johnson.  Still doesn't mean Tony Dungy was creative, innovative, and successful (great).

So maybe he is not top 10 all time, But he did similar things to those that are did. Developed a defense, one that was named after his football team that he he brought to his second football team. He had a successful record with multiple clubs.  Has a coaching tree under him-

Rod Marinelli, Lovie Smith, Herm Edwards, Leslie Frazier, Jim Caldwell, Mike Tomlin, Mike Shula, Clyde Christensen, and Joe Barry. He was a great coach that also got others (a good many of them minorities) into the coaching game.

I don't see how saying he was Good, not Great is a bad thing. I also said he has been the best Coach we have ever had. I honestly don't think he is even Top 20 of all-time, if he is it is close IMO. You named a few others that were even better and I also think Madden was another that was better. I am pretty sure you would at least agree that Peyton would've won at least 1 Ring without him? Peyton has succeeded under several other Coaches with dominant play. Dungy IMO could've been Top 10 material had we won more than 1 SB, Belichick would've never lost in 2005 for example. That team was loaded and we weren't prepared going in against the Steelers.

10 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see how saying he was Good, not Great is a bad thing. I also said he has been the best Coach we have ever had. I honestly don't think he is even Top 20 of all-time, if he is it is close IMO. You named a few others that were even better and I also think Madden was another that was better. I am pretty sure you would at least agree that Peyton would've won at least 1 Ring without him? Peyton has succeeded under several other Coaches with dominant play. Dungy IMO could've been Top 10 material had we won more than 1 SB, Belichick would've never lost in 2005 for example. That team was loaded and we weren't prepared going in against the Steelers.

To follow that up I would say Dungy was possibly Very Good instead of just Good but not Great, JMO. Great is a word that is thrown around way too much. We should've won more than 1 SB in the Dungy era.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

To follow that up I would say Dungy was possibly Very Good instead of just Good but not Great, JMO. Great is a word that is thrown around way too much. We should've won more than 1 SB in the Dungy era.

Well, 2009 "resting the starters and giving up on the undefeated season" and Freeney going down both killed our mojo heading into the SB, IMO.

It just shows you so many things have to go right to get to the SB, and that is why wishing for multiple SBs may be nice but getting that first one is always the hardest part.

1 minute ago, chad72 said:

Well, 2009 "resting the starters and giving up on the undefeated season" and Freeney going down both killed our mojo heading into the SB, IMO.

It just shows you so many things have to go right to get to the SB, and that is why wishing for multiple SBs may be nice but getting that first one is always the hardest part.

Dungy wasn't hear that year

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I don't see how saying he was Good, not Great is a bad thing.

Because its an opinion, and unfortunately a poor one.  Here is a quote-

"The Pro Football Hall of Fame's 48-person Selection Committee is charged with the vital task of continuing to be sure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced ."

Good, and even very good doesn't fit that mold.  So the Pro Football Hall of Fame has sided against you on this matter.  Dungy was enshrined in the HOF this past August with Marvin Harrison, Brett Favre, and others. There are still worthy players, coaches, and Front Office people not (yet) in because the standards are high.

By definition, you have to be great to be considered for enshrinement, let alone get elected in.

I am pretty sure you would at least agree that Peyton would've won at least 1 Ring without him?

Depends where players go.  Don Shula and Dan Marino were both great seaparately and together, and Hall of Fame inductees.  Yet they never won a single.Super Bowl together.

Peyton has succeeded under several other Coaches with dominant play. Dungy IMO could've been Top 10 material had we won more than 1 SB, Belichick would've never lost in 2005 for example. That team was loaded and we weren't prepared going in against the Steelers.

You cannot speculate on what would / might have happen, and no way to prove it.  And the Steeler playoff loss was preceded by a major family/life tragedy larger than football. 

Dungy is in the HOF, no more need be said.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2009 is another example of Peyton dominating without Dungy. We would've went undefeated had we not pulled the starters out under Caldwell. We still made the SB as well.

There was no guaranteed we would go undefeated that season!  Yes, We pull the starters vs. the Jets an lose a game we likely would have held on to win.  But that that next game in Buffalo?  Are you kidding me? A small and speedy indoor turf team in Blizzard Conditions vs. the Bills?  I'm glad Polian (he did it, not Caldwell) rested the players that week.  I felt injury trouble was written all over that game. And a win was not a lock either.  Would have been kncok down drag out in Bills country in Bills type conditions.

4 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Because its an opinion, and unfortunately a poor one.  Here is a quote-

"The Pro Football Hall of Fame's 48-person Selection Committee is charged with the vital task of continuing to be sure that new enshrinees are the finest the game has produced ."

Good, and even very good doesn't fit that mold.  So the Pro Football Hall of Fame has sided against you on this matter.  Dungy was enshrined in the HOF this past August with Marvin Harrison, Brett Favre, and others. There are still worthy players, coaches, and Front Office people not (yet) in because the standards are high.

By definition, you have to be great to be considered for enshrinement, let alone get elected in.

Depends where players go.  Don Shula and Dan Marino were both great seaparately and together, and Hall of Fame inductees.  Yet they never won a single.Super Bowl together.

You cannot speculate on what would / might have happen, and no way to prove it.  And the Steeler playoff loss was preceded by a major family/life tragedy larger than football. 

Dungy is in the HOF, no more need be said.

Well a lot of people happen to agree with me regarding Dungy. Everyone I know personally regarding friends and family, people I have talked to in the past at BW3's during games all say the same thing I do. They all think he is Good to Very Good but not Great and without Peyton he would have 0 Rings. So I am not the only one who thinks this. I have seen several people Post the same thing in here, people that are excellent knowledgeable Posters. I think what was huge for Dungy getting into the Hall of Fame was he was the first African American to win the SB - that is history made and a gigantic milestone. People talk about that a lot and it was huge for the history of the sport. Like I have said all along he is the best Coach we have ever had so I am not a Dungy hater.

15 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dungy wasn't hear that year

Yeah, I know. I am just referring to the fact that despite 2005 going so well for us, a SB is not guaranteed. 2009 was another example of it in a different way where our dominance was based off us living "on the edge" while 2005, our dominance was more reflected on the scoreboard.

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There was no guaranteed we would go undefeated that season!  Yes, We pull the starters vs. the Jets an lose a game we likely would have held on to win.  But that that next game in Buffalo?  Are you kidding me? A small and speedy indoor turf team in Blizzard Conditions vs. the Bills?  I'm glad Polian (he did it, not Caldwell) pulled and rested the players that week.  I felt injury trouble was written all over that game. And a win was not a lock either.  Would have been knock down drag out in Bills country in Bills type conditions.

I still think we would've won but that is obviously an opinion. We were winning every game that season against bad teams pretty easily. It was Polian's decision to pull everyone and one of the worst decisions of all-time. I am still sick about it. Cant quit on 16-0 when you are 14-0.

24 minutes ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

There was no guaranteed we would go undefeated that season!  Yes, We pull the starters vs. the Jets an lose a game we likely would have held on to win.  But that that next game in Buffalo?  Are you kidding me? A small and speedy indoor turf team in Blizzard Conditions vs. the Bills?  I'm glad Polian (he did it, not Caldwell) pulled and rested the players that week.  I felt injury trouble was written all over that game. And a win was not a lock either.  Would have been knock down drag out in Bills country in Bills type conditions.

Better to try and fail than not to try at all, that is all I am going to say.

In 1999, Cornelius Bennett got injured in the last week of the regular season and Eddie George ran all over us in the divisional round. Bennett was a spiritual leader on defense for the Colts then.

Since that day, Bill Polian got gun shy and while his premise had validity, he should still know Peyton and his O thrive on timing and reps, could have rested more defensive players but played the O that was the strength of the team. Like he would say "past is prologue". It is what it is.

12 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I still think we would've won but that is obviously an opinion. We were winning every game that season against bad teams pretty easily. It was Polian's decision to pull everyone and one of the worst decisions of all-time. I am still sick about it. Cant quit on 16-0 when you are 14-0.

Fitzpatrick and Jackson (throwing and running) were soundly outplaying Peyton and Mike Hart-

Bills_Loss_zps4zocd07t.png

Here's a nice Peyton interception (receiver, of course, falls down) at 2:32 into this clip...

1 minute ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Fitzpatrick and Jackson (throwing and running) were soundly outplaying Peyton and Mike Hart-

Bills_Loss_zps4zocd07t.png

Here's a nice Peyton interception (receiver, of course, falls down) at 2:32 into this clip...

Funny stuff. Yeah but after we lost to the Jets, Peyton and the team were just going through the motions. I am pretty sure had we been 15-0 we would've been giving 100%, don't you agree?

15 minutes ago, chad72 said:

Better to try and fail than not to try at all, that is all I am going to say.

In 1999, Cornelius Bennett got injured in the last week of the regular season and Eddie George ran all over us in the divisional round. Bennett was a spiritual leader on defense for the Colts then.

Since that day, Bill Polian got gun shy and while his premise had validity, he should still know Peyton and his O thrive on timing and reps, could have rested more defensive players but played the O that was the strength of the team. Like he would say "past is prologue". It is what it is.

Yes, I can see giving them some reps, in  case they have to play in that in the playoffs, But they went longers than I thought, and were less effective than I had hoped.

2 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Funny stuff. Yeah but after we lost to the Jets, Peyton and the team were just going through the motions. I am pretty sure had we been 15-0 we would've been giving 100%, don't you agree?

No, I think if Peyton if is out there, he will always put forth his best effort that day, regardless conditions, circumstances, or opponent.  We were just getting beat by a club better equipped for those conditions.  Period.

Just now, dudley dawson said:

Yes!  He warned that a deal may not ultimately happen but that is what his source is telling him.

I wonder what the deal getting done or not getting done would hinge on. Money obviously would be one thing, but I have to assume Gruden would also politely request that he not have to work with Grigson. Would it be unprecedented to let the head coach choose the GM?

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I wonder what the deal getting done or not getting done would hinge on. Money obviously would be one thing, but I have to assume Gruden would also politely request that he not have to work with Grigson. Would it be unprecedented to let the head coach choose the GM?

I would guess Gruden would be GM and coach (which I am more than ok with).

14 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

JMV just confirmed what he's "heard" is that Irsay was meeting with Gruden in Houston.  Here we go!

Oh look another unnamed source. Granted I trust jmv more than most other reporters. But if it is gruden, wouldn't that kind of be funny? Especially if he somehow comes in here and wins a Super Bowl, we'd be saved by yet another Tampa coach lol

1 minute ago, dudley dawson said:

I would guess Gruden would be GM and coach (which I am more than ok with).

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Maybe Jim wants Grigson to remain GM.  Maybe he likes the way he runs the operation and structures contracts, something Gruden might not want to do.  He could still let Gruden say yea or nay on draft picks or acquisitions.   

7 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Gruden loves The Sheriff.

Just now, richard pallo said:

Maybe Jim wants Grigson to remain GM.  Maybe he likes the way he runs the operation and structures contracts, something Gruden might not want to do.  He could still let Gruden say yea or nay on draft picks or acquisitions.   

It actually wouldn't surprise me that much if Grigson and Gruden got along like two peas in a pod. Seems like Grigson feels like Pagano is a little too soft on players, whereas Gruden's reputation is kind of the complete opposite.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It actually wouldn't surprise me that much if Grigson and Gruden got along like two peas in a pod. Seems like Grigson feels like Pagano is a little too soft on players, whereas Gruden's reputation is kind of the complete opposite.

I could see that as well.  Could be a marriage made in heaven. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Yes, I can see giving them some reps, in  case they have to play in that in the playoffs, But they went longers than I thought, and were less effective than I had hoped.

Meh. Bills could not defend the pass well enough and even when they had Brady on the ropes on MNF in game 1 in 2009, they managed to lose the game. They never defended the TE well either and that was before Gronk came along, Clark would have gotten to them too as the game went on. If TO can run go routes in that game, I am sure we would have mustered production as the game went along. Our team found ways to win that year and if we were 15-0, I am 100% certain we would have made the plays necessary to get to 16-0 if we had gone for it.

48 minutes ago, dudley dawson said:

JMV just confirmed what he's "heard" is that Irsay was meeting with Gruden in Houston.  Here we go!

Yep i heard that. He was kinda hinting on twitter saturday night that he had more information in regards to that Colts plane, this must have been it.  He also said he may have more news later in the show.  A lot of things have to come together to reach a deal like this though so it's still a good chance dumb and dumber return in the end.