Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Jim Irsay's Advisors

BProland85

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Where is their team better again? Honest question. Everybody's sweet on the Titans lately, but aren't they just a good young QB right now? Mariota makes them go just like Luck makes the Colts go. 

They're better at RB, OL is a push, and they're better at DL and LB. I'd take the Colts secondary, the Colts WR and TE (Delanie Walker is great, but Doyle basically matched his production as a #2), and ST. And most importantly, the Colts beat them every time they play.

They have a good foundation, but I'm not sure why their team is so much better, or why their future is so much brighter, aside from the general pessimism re: Grigson and Pagano.

Their future is so much brighter because they've improved 2 years in a row, have a great young QB, and have like 6 picks in the top 75 of this year's draft.

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, Superman said:

We do beat them every time Luck is in the lineup, literally. We even beat them with Josh Freeman and Ryan Lindley.

I get that they're making improvements, but it seems premature to crown them at this point.

Was not crowning them anything. Pointed out that we could possibly lose to them if Luck was injured at this point.

24 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Their future is so much brighter because they've improved 2 years in a row, have a great young QB, and have like 6 picks in the top 75 of this year's draft.

They've really only improved one year, significantly. We have a great young QB. Can't touch their picks, but that's because they were 3-13 a year ago.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

Where is their team better again? Honest question. Everybody's sweet on the Titans lately, but aren't they just a good young QB right now? Mariota makes them go just like Luck makes the Colts go. 

They're better at RB, OL is a push, and they're better at DL and LB. I'd take the Colts secondary, the Colts WR and TE (Delanie Walker is great, but Doyle basically matched his production as a #2), and ST. And most importantly, the Colts beat them every time they play.

They have a good foundation, but I'm not sure why their team is so much better, or why their future is so much brighter, aside from the general pessimism re: Grigson and Pagano.

I think if you asked 32 NFL GM's which roster is better,  I think 31 would take Tennessee.

I think if you asked those same GM's which team has a brighter future,   I think 31 would take Tennessee.

Yes,  they've got holes...    but for example,  they're still getting the Rams' 1 and 3 this year as part of the Goff deal.     That's a gift that keeps on giving.      If Robinson works those picks correctly,  Tennessee could be poised to really take off.     And Robinson's first draft, moving up and down,  was really impressive.

I would not say the two o-lines are a push.   I would not take the Colts secondary.      I don't think that Walker and Doyle are roughly the same guy because they had roughly the same stats.   And I love Jack Doyle.  

One area where I think we have an advantage --- and I know this will get laughs and not in a good way --- is I don't think they're all that well coached.     I don't think that staff has shown all that much.     Maybe they'll get better,  but I've been underwhelmed by them when we play them.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective.....  

Irsay is a great owner... I know that many on here are disgruntled about the coach and GM, but there isn't any arguing against Mr. Irsay's commitment to winning in Indy. 

Everybody makes questionable decisions... Not everybody fields an NFL  team with the sustained success that Indy has had. In fact, almost nobody does. We will be back in the postseason next year, to boot. #injimwetrust

3 hours ago, CoachLite said:

Just hope they aren't the same advisors that "strongly" recommended Grigson and Pagano.

Yeah.......    Poor, poor Colts Nation.....    my,  how your favorite team struggled under their leadership....

Oh, the suffering from 11-5 the first three years.

Oh, the suffering from going one round further in the playoffs the first 3 years.

Oh,  the suffering from going 8-8 in Year 4 when Luck was hurt and missing for 9 games.

Oh,  the suffering from going 8-8 in Year 5 when the team committed to going younger to build a future.    Or did you miss starting THREE ROOKIES across that line?    

Oh,  the suffering!!

3 hours ago, csmopar said:

while i agree to the point, we all make dumb decisions at some point in time, I cant fault Irsay for thinking that last seen was a fluke with Luck being hurt.  That said, he's gotta wake up and smell the coffee now or this team is screwed!

If we can say Amen brother here i would like to say just that. Amen Brother. This is a MONSTER off season for the future of OUR Colts! It Must be EXCELLENT NOW! JMO of course. Go Colts!

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yeah.......    Poor, poor Colts Nation.....    my,  how your favorite team struggled under their leadership....

Oh, the suffering from going one round further in the playoffs the first 3 years.

Oh,  the suffering from going 8-8 in Year 4 when Luck was hurt and missing for 9 games.

Oh,  the suffering from going 8-8 in Year 5 when the team committed to going younger to build a future.    Or did you miss starting THREE ROOKIES across that line?    

Oh,  the suffering!!

I get that there is a fair amount of entitled thinking embedded in the behavior of many fans right now...but I think you are downplaying the call to change that is probably appropriate based on the last 2 years.

5 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

We've owned them in the past.

We owned them this year.

But how long will that last?      Their future is looking really bright....

We beat them each time, by one score last year and this year. Came from behind this year and last year. Don't really own them, but they could make a play at the division next year with another solid draft if we don't do just as well this offseason.

16 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I get that there is a fair amount of entitled thinking embedded in the behavior of many fans right now...but I think you are downplaying the call to change that is probably appropriate based on the last 2 years.

I think the point is that Grigson and Pagano weren't bad hires, even if it's time for them to go.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Because they have 2 top 20 picks and have been drafting good. They will probably get Mike Williams in the draft

23 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I think if you asked 32 NFL GM's which roster is better,  I think 31 would take Tennessee.

I think if you asked those same GM's which team has a brighter future,   I think 31 would take Tennessee.

Yes,  they've got holes...    but for example,  they're still getting the Rams' 1 and 3 this year as part of the Goff deal.     That's a gift that keeps on giving.      If Robinson works those picks correctly,  Tennessee could be poised to really take off.     And Robinson's first draft, moving up and down,  was really impressive.

I would not say the two o-lines are a push.   I would not take the Colts secondary.      I don't think that Walker and Doyle are roughly the same guy because they had roughly the same stats.   And I love Jack Doyle.  

One area where I think we have an advantage --- and I know this will get laughs and not in a good way --- is I don't think they're all that well coached.     I don't think that staff has shown all that much.     Maybe they'll get better,  but I've been underwhelmed by them when we play them.

Just wanted to offer a different perspective.....  

43051169c7a7b8517db99fba709b618506ced2b1

:)

We can disagree on those units and different elements of the team. (For instance, Delanie Walker is 32 and probably slowing down; Jack Doyle is 26 and just had a career year. Walker is better than Doyle, but Doyle is younger, cheaper, and basically matched his production, so from a 'state of the roster' standpoint, why are they better at TE? Plus, we have Allen and Swoope. I don't even think that's an argument.)

They have a very good draft situation, that's certainly enviable. But the Niners had a bunch of picks and a young stud QB a couple years ago. Let's see if that comes to fruition. 

Really, my point is that people are acting like the Titans are on the cusp of greatness, about to leave the Colts in the dust. Yet, they can't beat us, and we underachieved at 8-8 while they had their best season in five years at 9-7. Yes, their arrow is pointing up, but I don't agree that our arrow is pointing down, and we still have a roster of comparable quality, and a better QB. 

46 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

I don't mind a call for change.     But if you look at the post I was responding to,  the poster made it sound like the hiring of Grigson and Pagano has been terrible and ruined the franchise.

If someone wants to argue they're not good enough,  I've got no problem. 

I won't shed a tear if they both are sent packing.       I just tire of fans acting like the last 5 years have been tough to live through.

Most Colts fans have no idea how good they've had it.......

45 minutes ago, bababooey said:

We beat them each time, by one score last year and this year. Came from behind this year and last year. Don't really own them, but they could make a play at the division next year with another solid draft if we don't do just as well this offseason.

Agreed.

But the Titans finished 2nd in the division at 9-7.

And they've got another boat load of draft picks thanks to the Goff trade.     They're poised to have an even better season here in 2017.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

O Line , front 7 and promising young QB are a good base .But IMO they are an injury here or there or a few players regressing from reverting back to a 4-5 win team. 

26 minutes ago, Superman said:

43051169c7a7b8517db99fba709b618506ced2b1

:)

We can disagree on those units and different elements of the team. (For instance, Delanie Walker is 32 and probably slowing down; Jack Doyle is 26 and just had a career year. Walker is better than Doyle, but Doyle is younger, cheaper, and basically matched his production, so from a 'state of the roster' standpoint, why are they better at TE? Plus, we have Allen and Swoope. I don't even think that's an argument.)

They have a very good draft situation, that's certainly enviable. But the Niners had a bunch of picks and a young stud QB a couple years ago. Let's see if that comes to fruition. 

Really, my point is that people are acting like the Titans are on the cusp of greatness, about to leave the Colts in the dust. Yet, they can't beat us, and we underachieved at 8-8 while they had their best season in five years at 9-7. Yes, their arrow is pointing up, but I don't agree that our arrow is pointing down, and we still have a roster of comparable quality, and a better QB. 

You made a really good point in another thread when you noted that Tennessee was coming off a 3-13 year.

And I'd like to expand on that.

Fans here note that other franchises are drafting better than we are.    Well,  there's a reason for that.

Their teams have mostly sucked and suffered through terrible seasons.      So, they get rewarded with high draft picks.

Fans here would LOVE to have the high draft picks,   but they don't want the bad season that it takes to earn those picks.       They want playoff-level seasons,   but 0-16 draft picks. 

Hey,  don't we all!

It's not that their front office and coaches are better,  it's that they lost lots and lots of games and so they get much higher picks.    

For the last 5 years,  the Colts have mostly been drafting in the mid-20's...

The Texans have been mostly drafting in the teens.

Tennessee has mostly been drafting in the top-10.

And Jacksonville has mostly been drafting in the top-5.

So, of course they're drafts are going to be better.    

This is how the NFL works.     And it gives more credit to the franchises who for most years are drafting at the bottom of every round and yet still manage to keep winning year after year.      

2 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

You made a really good point in another thread when you noted that Tennessee was coming off a 3-13 year.

Fans here note that other franchises are drafting better than we are.    Well,  there's a reason for that.

Their teams have mostly sucked and suffered through terrible seasons.      So, they get rewarded with high draft picks.

Fans here would LOVE to have the high draft picks,   but they don't want the bad season that it takes to earn those picks.       They want playoff-level seasons,   but 0-16 draft picks. 

Hey,  don't we all!

It's not that their front office and coaches are better,  it's that they lost lots and lots of games and so they get much higher picks.    

This is how the NFL works.     And it gives more credit to the franchises who for most years are drafting at the bottom of every round and yet still manage to keep winning year after year.      

Glad to pick in the high 20's. Although it definitely helps when we don't waste those early picks. Seeing Xavier Rhodes and Landon Collins thrive on other teams while Werner is gone and Phil Dorsett has given us less production than late round guys and cheap free agents on other teams stings a bit. Hearing Ryan Kelly's name was music to my ears this year.

6 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

All good points, and true. 

But it's also true that the Colts have failed to maximize their own draft opportunities, even when you consider their relative draft position. Even picking in the 20s most of the time, the Colts missed some good players.

3 hours ago, bluephantom87 said:

The problem is that too many people are sipping the Kool-Aid or buying the dream being sold by the KING of "talk" Chuck Pagano. Sample... " NO ONE gave us a shot to finish .500 again by beating a tough 3 win Jag team with a lot of moxie who had beaten us earlier in the year. It just shows if you keep grinding, stay the course and tune out the noise you can beat anybody. The guys in the locker room showed a lot of grit and left it all on the table. I STILL believe in the monster we've been building for 5 yrs now and I know a lot of BAD teams don't want to play us because they KNOW they'll be in for a fight!!! As far as the defense getting worse you KNOW what I can do we've just had a couple of bad breaks here and there but the guys in that locker room ARE the next copy of the Ravens just give me a few more yrs and you'll see. I'm excited for next season for the opportunity to continue chopping wood. Until then hell who knows I might see you all at the movies or something."  :hug:

Nice sarcasm lol

11 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Hey,  don't we all!

They sure did make good with Mariota, Lewan and Conklin from the draft the last 2 years. However, what put them over the edge is the offseason signing of Murray and a little maturation of Mariota to go with the OL improvements. That is why I feel our future is bright with our OL draft picks and even a middle of the road D with a few pieces added would put us back at the top of our division again.

Outside Green Bay, New England, Denver, Seattle and maybe a couple other teams, we are at least 7th best in the league since 2012 after gutting our roster, so I cannot sit here and objectively say our roster is downright putrid across the board.

However, the big question is - will we ever go beyond our divisional conquest? If winning the AFC South happens again, should we give credit to the existing staff just because we get back to the top of the division we were "supposed to" win and had underachieved against the expectations? Should we give credit for 2 steps forward just because we took 2 steps back to get back to square one even though we should have been at square one in the first place?

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 Coaches everyone brags about in here are Ron Rivera and Bruce Arians but yet both had losing seasons with much better Rosters than what we had. If Chuck should be fired why shouldn't those 2? Colts had a better record than both of those teams.

To add to this, many are in love with Sean Payton as well and he went 7-9 with Drew Brees.

3 minutes ago, chad72 said:

If winning the AFC South happens again, should we give credit to the existing staff just because we get back to the top of the division we were "supposed to" win and had underachieved against the expectations? 

Nope. Expectations need to be much higher than just winning the division at this point. 

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

Oh,  the suffering!!

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, it has been a bit suffering to watch this team of late.

1 minute ago, 1959Colts said:

I get what you are saying, but on the other hand, it has been a bit suffering to watch this team of late.

I agree it's been tough to watch but outside of the Patriots who is Very Good to Great every season? We were when we had Peyton but he is a Top 5 QB of all-time. Look at how many times the Steelers have missed the Playoffs with Big Ben. Look at how many times the Giants have missed the Playoffs with Eli. I brought up these 2 teams because they have won 2 SB's recently and have huge fanbases. The Ravens have missed the Playoffs 2 seasons in a row like us as well. Carolina just went 6-10 after going 15-1 and I seriously doubt the fans on that website are wanting Ron Rivera fired or bashing him 24/7 like we get in here with Chuck. My point is, I think some people just think we should go 11-5 every year, sorry to say it doesn't work like that unless you have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

1 minute ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I agree it's been tough to watch but outside of the Patriots who is Very Good to Great every season? We were when we had Peyton but he is a Top 5 QB of all-time. Look at how many times the Steelers have missed the Playoffs with Big Ben. Look at how many times the Giants have missed the Playoffs with Eli. I brought up these 2 teams because they have won 2 SB's recently and have huge fanbases. The Ravens have missed the Playoffs 2 seasons in a row like us as well. Carolina just went 6-10 after going 15-1 and I seriously doubt the fans on that website are wanting Ron Rivera fired or bashing him 24/7 like we get in here with Chuck. My point is, I think some people just think we should go 11-5 every year, sorry to say it doesn't work like that unless you have Bill Belichick and Tom Brady.

I get that. However, after 5 years, I just don't think Pagano and Grigson are the ones to restore us to greatness.

35 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

2 Coaches everyone brags about in here are Ron Rivera and Bruce Arians but yet both had losing seasons with much better Rosters than what we had. If Chuck should be fired why shouldn't those 2? Colts had a better record than both of those teams.

Ron Rivera went to the SB last year and Arians is a field goal away from an 8-8 record after winning 13 games last year. To your point about Payton, he's won a SB. Having immediate success last year for the first two saves them for this year. The Saints have talked about trading Payton for years, it's not off the table. Also, not much coaching talent out there right now either, which is why I believe we are remaining silent. I believe Saban and/or Dabo could be on Irsay's mind since he hasn't said anything by now after leaving it open a few weeks ago but we aren't cutting Chuck loose and paying out for a few more years without having a replacement lined up.

Just now, bababooey said:

Ron Rivera went to the SB last year and Arians is a field goal away from an 8-8 record after winning 13 games last year. To your point about Payton, he's won a SB. Having immediate success last year for the first two saves them for this year. The Saints have talked about trading Payton for years, it's not off the table. Also, not much coaching talent out there right now either, which is why I believe are remaining silent. I believe Saban and/or Dabo could be on Irsay's mind since he hasn't said anything by now after leaving it open a few weeks ago but we aren't cutting Chuck loose and paying out for a few more years without having a replacement lined up.

I am for change but just wanted to pose that question. Chuck went 11-5 in his first 3 seasons (or in 2013 and 2014 he did, if people want to give Arians credit for 2012) and went to the Title Game but seems to get no credit at all for doing so. Also if Ron Rivera was all of that he had no business going 6-10 with that Defense and Cam at QB, just because he made a SB shouldn't block him for criticism.

3 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I am for change but just wanted to pose that question. Chuck went 11-5 in his first 3 seasons (or in 2013 and 2014 he did, if people want to give Arians credit for 2012) and went to the Title Game but seems to get no credit at all for doing so. Also if Ron Rivera was all of that he had no business going 6-10 with that Defense and Cam at QB, just because he made a SB shouldn't block him for criticism.

Panthers = 3 winning seasons in the past 11 years.

We'd go ballistic if Irsay kept him.