Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans may hear something by Jan. 12th(My guess)

Indeee

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Honestly I think we have not heard anything yet either since all the rumors so far are just that.......RUMORS. Whether it's Manning, Saban, Gruden, the ghost of Lombardi or whatever we might just get the same coach and GM next season so be prepared people. Nothing big and exciting may happen and probably won't.

I believe that the reason we are in a limbo right now is because Irsay isn't going to fire his GM and/or head coach unless he gets a big name or an option that he feels is better. All this Peyton Manning talk is probably part of the equation. I am sure he has reached out to Harbaugh and Saban (I would like both as an option, especially Harbaugh even though I doubt its gonna happen). And I also think that he probably has asked the Saints about Sean Payton. Now if all of those fall through (which is more likely than not) then we won't see anything happen and he will simply say he supports the current staff in a week or so. 

Just now, masnerj said:

I believe that the reason we are in a limbo right now is because Irsay isn't going to fire his GM and/or head coach unless he gets a big name or an option that he feels is better. All this Peyton Manning talk is probably part of the equation. I am sure he has reached out to Harbaugh and Saban (I would like both as an option, especially Harbaugh even though I doubt its gonna happen). And I also think that he probably has asked the Saints about Sean Payton. Now if all of those fall through (it is more likely that none of those options are viable) then we won't see anything happen and he will simply say he supports the current staff in a week or so. 

I'm not getting the Sean Payton thing. His teams are ever worse on D than the Colts lately with similar results. 

1 minute ago, jvan1973 said:

If he wins this year he will be tied all time with Bear Bryant.   History won't care if he got them all at Alabama

But Alabama fans will care.  Saban could wind up being bigger than Bryant in Tuscaloosa.  That's no small thing.

3 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

I'm not getting the Sean Payton thing. His teams are ever worse on D than the Colts lately with similar results. 

Sean Payton won't leave the Saints. Brees is getting frustrated I hear with the results of the teams around him lately, but he is playing at least one more year and Payton and him are practically married.

2 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

But Alabama fans will care.  Saban could wind up being bigger than Bryant in Tuscaloosa.  That's no small thing.

He will be the unofficial Mayor of Tuscaloosa, Alabama!!!  Dreams do come true!

i kid

46 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

What he has pioneered is pretty common in the pros now.

You have said "pioneered" with a past-tense.

What I'm asking is... 

Does that mean the rest of the NFL has caught up to him, or would what he is running at bama still be considered unique for the NFL?

5 minutes ago, Jules said:

Sean Payton won't leave the Saints. Brees is getting frustrated I hear with the results of the teams around him lately, but he is playing at least one more year and Payton and him are practically married.

I agree, Sean Payton is probably not going to leave the Saints unless some dumb GM offers up something crazy to convince the Saints to give up Payton. I like Payton as a coach (I feel that he has just had a lack of defensive talent more than anything recently but he is a good coach and certainly has shown) but definitely don't want to give up anything more than a 5th round pick to acquire him. 

I didn't realize the all time wins at bama vs. bryant thing. That is a big deal potentially. I was guessing it was conceivable based on the ex usc coach being there now as a potential replacement for saban should he leave or want to leave. Saban is a defensive guru and has always stated he wouldn't entertain ever going back to NFL unless he had a franchise QB. Colts have one and have no defense. Perfect fit to me possibly. If Saban wants the record, then maybe we might get stuck with current staff one more year hoping bama wins 2017 and 2018, which would ease the pocket letting current staff go after 2 years into the extensions instead of 1 year into the 3 year deals. IDK

2 minutes ago, DougDew said:

You have said "pioneered" with a past-tense.

What I'm asking is... 

Does that mean the rest of the NFL has caught up to him, or would what he is running at bama still be considered unique for the NFL?

They are common concepts, but that doesn't nessessarily mean anyone can implement it as he can.

Here's a good read on it: https://www.google.ie/amp/www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/12/46950/film-study-nick-sabans-pattern-matching-pass-defense%3Famp?client=ms-android-h3g-ie

I don't think we can truly gage Sabans abilities.  He is approaching legendary status in an age of technology, increased competition, tv deals, media spotlight,  political correctness, NCAA sanctions, steroids, etc...where these things can derail you and he has thrived.  Bear Bryant could do whatever he wanted to you, almost killing players in camp, and we would never know.  He has to have more skills than just selling players on Alabama.

1 minute ago, Indeee said:

I didn't realize the all time wins at bama vs. bryant thing. That is a big deal potentially. I was guessing it was conceivable based on the ex usc coach being there now as a potential replacement for saban should he leave or want to leave. Saban is a defensive guru and has always stated he wouldn't entertain ever going back to NFL unless he had a franchise QB. Colts have one and have no defense. Perfect fit to me possibly. If Saban wants the record, then maybe we might get stuck with current staff one more year hoping bama wins 2017 and 2018, which would ease the pocket letting current staff go after 2 years into the extensions instead of 1 year into the 3 year deals. IDK

At this point, if Saban were to leave, I would expect Bama to pursue Dabo Swinney.

40 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I don't follow Alabama as a die-hard fan,  but I've never seen a single story that says that Saban is only good because he's got better players than everyone else.     He's known as a brilliant coach of his players.

In fact, if the NFL has any real objection about Saban it's that many of his players don't get much better after they leave Alabama and go pro.      Why?     Because they're getting NFL-Level coaching in college and that starts with Saban.      He's a really exceptional coach and much more than just a coach with a lot of talented kids.

So since he coaches college kids to an NFL level does that mean he will then coach NFL players to an even higher level?

I'm trying to get to the reasons why he has had success and how that would translate to the NFL...work habits, tape study, seeing tendencies in opponents that others don't, etc.  

Belichick seems to be able to identify and opponents weakness than execute a game plan to attack that weakness. A different plan maybe each week, then communicates it in practice so its properly executed during the game.

Does Saban win like that or does he win because he gets more 4 and 5 star recruits than his opponents.  

Before I get all gushy about his record, I just want to know the basis of his success and how that would succeed in the NFL.

None of us are experts however, so who knows.

13 minutes ago, masnerj said:

I agree, Sean Payton is probably not going to leave the Saints unless some dumb GM offers up something crazy to convince the Saints to give up Payton. I like Payton as a coach (I feel that he has just had a lack of defensive talent more than anything recently but he is a good coach and certainly has shown) but definitely don't want to give up anything more than a 5th round pick to acquire him. 

One of the things Saints fans often say this past year is that Payton is loyal to a fault to assistant coaches around him not doing their job. One is the special teams coach and their special teams have been horrible. And he just seems to be unable to adapt and progress and kinda lives in the past a bit with reputation. 

He's a good offensive coach and if we had gotten him say a year or two ago I think he could have worked wonders with Luck's development. But, he is very very stubborn too and likes things his own way.........

38 minutes ago, Jules said:

Honestly I think we have not heard anything yet either since all the rumors so far are just that.......RUMORS. Whether it's Manning, Saban, Gruden, the ghost of Lombardi or whatever we might just get the same coach and GM next season so be prepared people. Nothing big and exciting may happen and probably won't.

I thought this from day one and never believed Manning was going to be GM or wanted to come here(at least without something that would benefit him). He knows Jimbo isn't giving up an ownership stake to that team to anybody which I actually do understand.

There are other candidates out there I can accept Irsay taking his time I just think the lame duck status he put out there for Grigson/Pagano just looks real lame and dysfunctional for the Colts.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

So since he coaches college kids to an NFL level does that mean he will then coach NFL players to an even higher level?

I'm trying to get to the reasons why he has had success and how that would translate to the NFL...work habits, tape study, seeing tendencies in opponents that others don't, etc.  

Belichick seems to be able to identify and opponents weakness than execute a game plan to attack that weakness. A different plan maybe each week, then communicates it in practice so its properly executed during the game.

Does Saban win like that or does he win because he gets more 4 and 5 star recruits than his opponents.  

Before I get all gushy about his record, I just want to know the basis of his success and how that would succeed in the NFL.

None of us are experts however, so who knows.

You make a darn good point DD. I will openly admit that I am negatively biased against Saban based strictly off his tenure in Miami & the circumstances of his departure ticked off ownership for legitimate reasons. 

You do get to the heart of the matter though. Is Saban elite status based solely on the quality of his college recruits or would his relentless work ethic be productive on any sideline on any level?  I don't watch Bama routinely enough or religiously enough game by game to know that with any authority. 

Saban's championships cannot be denied. I know that. Nick is brilliant on defense. I know that. I just have a hard time forgetting how he left Miami high & dry though. Am I being unreasonable? Perhaps a little, but it's how I feel. 

Of all the possibilities out there I think the Sean Payton trade would be the most likely.  I think he was looked at last year but Jim decided to stick with Chuck.  This year is a different year.  I think he is a very good coach and great play caller.  I am sure he would have to approve the trade but I would think he would find the Colts to be a great landing spot.  He has read it all.  He's probably feeling not wanted and might finally realize it's time to move on.  It would probably cost us the compensatory pick we will receive for Fleener.  He doesn't strike me as the type of coach who would want to be GM so Grigson could possibly stay or maybe Raye gets promoted.  I have to believe Jim is exploring Saban, Gruden and Harbaugh as well but I think his best chance of landing an experienced and successful coach is Sean Payton. 

Just to join in on the speculation I'd be ecstatic of a Saban hire. He has credited the Hoody with teaching him how to put together a staff that is totally on the same page and function as one.

Our current staff seems more like a group of individuals trying to work as one.

I also think he gets a bum wrap for the Mia gig. At that time they were totally dysfunctional if I remember correctly.

I'd rather a guy be honest and leave then stay and not care and just go through the motions.

No denying he's had great success regardless of his recruiting advantage. These kids still have to show up and produce.

15 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Bill Parcels

Discuss.

Are we talking as a HC or Mr. "shopping for the groceries' GM? Plus, I just don't think Bill wants to put in long hours anymore.

It's fine to throw the Tuna's name in the mix BC. However, I don't think this name moves the interest needle anymore. 

Bill's got his 2 rings & HOF yellow jacket. He's a TV guy now if anything & that's about it. In addition, after Jerry Jones signed Terrell Owens in Dallas, it seemed pretty apparent that old school Parcels couldn't relate to or lost patience with younger, social media, promote their brand players vs team unity overall. JMO. 

24 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Of all the possibilities out there I think the Sean Payton trade would be the most likely.  I think he was looked at last year but Jim decided to stick with Chuck.  This year is a different year.  I think he is a very good coach and great play caller.  I am sure he would have to approve the trade but I would think he would find the Colts to be a great landing spot.  He has read it all.  He's probably feeling not wanted and might finally realize it's time to move on.  It would probably cost us the compensatory pick we will receive for Fleener.  He doesn't strike me as the type of coach who would want to be GM so Grigson could possibly stay or maybe Raye gets promoted.  I have to believe Jim is exploring Saban, Gruden and Harbaugh as well but I think his best chance of landing an experienced and successful coach is Sean Payton. 

haha that would be ironic. Losing a guy to the Saints, getting a 4th round pick in compensation. Then using the equivalent to buy a guy from the Saints. 

17 minutes ago, masnerj said:

haha that would be ironic. Losing a guy to the Saints, getting a 4th round pick in compensation. Then using the equivalent to buy a guy from the Saints. 

Not only that, but could you imagine if we hired Sean Payton & he brought with him Gregg Williams as DC again? The same guy responsible for hitting Peyton Manning high & low vs the Redskins leading to #18's neck surgeries in 2011...Not a good idea..A lot of bad blood there. 

34 minutes ago, masnerj said:

So it'd essentially be Fleener for Payton haha 

That's a deal I take a hundred times out of hundred

56 minutes ago, buccolts said:

Bill Parcels

Discuss.

Oh don't tease me like that. Bill.:heart:

I miss his press conferences so much.

And the only way we could ever compete with the Pats is to get our very own man named Bill.

Ugh...I hate to admit this. But as much as I want us to move on from Chuck, the other options that I'm hearing about don't seem to be that much better or realistic possibilities.  Don't want Payton or Gruden.  They are all offense no defense coaches in my opinion.  Sabin didn't do much of anything in Miami.  Harbaugh is who I'd want out of the rumor mill but he is a short term fix at best because he eventually wears out his welcome. Plus it's unlikely he leaves Michigan.  If you take a flyer on some up and coming coordinator we bring in a coach with less head coaching experience than what we are stuck with.  This is very "football" depressing. 

Just now, buccolts said:

O.K., fine, but I was far from serious.

SW1 just doesn't wear his sarcasm detection unit when reading my posts.   :)

Oh I know.

At this point I am wondering who else we can dig up?

Anyone want to call Dan Marino and see if he is up for coaching?