Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans may hear something by Jan. 12th(My guess)

Indeee

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IT was PTI yesterday that suggested this.  That the reason the Colts "hadn't done anything" was because they were politely waiting for Mr. Saban to conclude his work this season.  Nonsense. 

A 65 year old King of Alabama isn't coming back to the NFL.  Why would he?  And more importantly, why do we want him?  He wins on defense, and his defense is based on depth.  If his 5 star starters aren't killing you, his 5 and 4 star second and third stringers are - that's where he beats people.  It's why he has success in college.  He has worked over-signing to perfection for years, exceeding the 25 scholarships a year by finding under-performing upper classmen, magical injuries, and academic underachievers, and jettisons those folks for more 5 and 4 star kids.  That formula ain't working at the NFL level.  Ever.  Plenty of teams compete with Alabama - until you get into the benches.  Plenty of teams compete for 30 minutes against the Tide. 

There is no depth in the NFL any more with the salary cap.  You can't afford it when you pay QBs, and LTs, and WRs, and CBs, and DEs what the going rate is. 

How many drafts, and free agency periods, and trades will it take to make the Colts into the Alabama image?  He's 65.  He doesn't have time to make it happen.  Please no. 

Just heard Charlie Casserly say on NFL network that the reason Sean Paytons name is out there is because his people are putting it out there.  He says to trade for a high level coach the first thing is the coach wants to move. He implied that he thought Sean would be interested in a move to a team that he thought would be a good situation.  He feels a coach like Payton would probably require a 1st. rd. pick.  Didn't say what year the pick would be in. 

I've said before if you can get me a Saban or a Harbaugh then I'm down with Grigson and Pagano packing their bags.

Right before Dungy was hired, Peyton was pretty sloppy with the football and some of the other stuff you see with Andrew.  Although Andrew has cleaned things up a little bit.  Dungy was known for running a structured program down there in Tampa. I remember Warren Sapp speaking highly of him and how he held people to acct as far as execution and everything else.  I know Saban and Harbaugh are known for some of the same things.  Sticklers for the details.    Just don't see it being real likely to bring either of them aboard.  Who knows?

51 minutes ago, richard pallo said:

Just heard Charlie Casserly say on NFL network that the reason Sean Paytons name is out there is because his people are putting it out there.  He says to trade for a high level coach the first thing is the coach wants to move. He implied that he thought Sean would be interested in a move to a team that he thought would be a good situation.  He feels a coach like Payton would probably require a 1st. rd. pick.  Didn't say what year the pick would be in. 

A FIRST? Yea, lets not do that. Essentially trading away Dalvin Cook for Sean Payton and his ridiculous salary. 

5 minutes ago, krunk said:

I've said before if you can get me a Saban or a Harbaugh then I'm down with Grigson and Pagano packing their bags.

YESSS, Saban and Harbaugh would be perfect. Especially considering you only have one guy for two positions, personnel decisions included and all. Though I think Saban is more likely as he is getting old and probably getting "bored" of being top dog in college-football. I want Harbaugh more but I doubt Irsay would be waiting so long after Black Monday if Harbaugh was the target. We are probably waiting on Saban and his people and what they say. 

My fellow Colts fans I say this with the utmost respect and sincerity but its time to except that Irsay made his decision last year and that decision is Grigson and Pagano will be here through the remainder of there contracts and not a day shorter

3 minutes ago, Gavin said:

My fellow Colts fans I say this with the utmost respect and sincerity but its time to except that Irsay made his decision last year and that decision is Grigson and Pagano will be here through the remainder of there contracts and not a day shorter

I don't know about that but I do think they will be back for next season which I have said since October probably around 100 times.

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

I will bet you my 401k that you are wrong.  Plus, your track record isn't so hot....

5 hours ago, Gavin said:

They better have a great season next year then.   That is if they are kept this year

I started this thread and I'm thinking what was a guess might have some legs. Bleacher report is reporting that a few "insiders" are speculating this to be the case. Whether it turns out to be correct or not is another thing, but it does make sense. Saban might listen but it doesn't guarantee anything

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Just read where Sean Payton has fired some of his coaching staff today.  Why would he do that if he thought he could be leaving?  Looks like a coach that will be staying.   Now it's looking like Saban or Gruden.  

Don't rule out Harbaugh yet...

6 hours ago, krunk said:

Right before Dungy was hired, Peyton was pretty sloppy with the football and some of the other stuff you see with Andrew.  Although Andrew has cleaned things up a little bit.  Dungy was known for running a structured program down there in Tampa. I remember Warren Sapp speaking highly of him and how he held people to acct as far as execution and everything else.  I know Saban and Harbaugh are known for some of the same things.  Sticklers for the details.    Just don't see it being real likely to bring either of them aboard.  Who knows?

I will bet you BOTT's 401k that Grigson is going nowhere but Pags is gone.  And that is what should happen

1 minute ago, richard pallo said:

Yeah, I guess I shouldn't technically.  But Jim has had four days to talk to him personally and nothing yet.  But again this would be a major hire and talks could take some time. 

If we get any of the Big 3 Harbaugh,  Gruden, or Saban I'm sure it will be a difficult negotiation. .Not like hiring a coordinator or rookie coach..Im sure both sides would have to agree on control issues etc..Any of these guys will most likely want total control over personnel. ...In Harbaugh and Saban's cases we would have to buyout their contracts as well. ..

There definitely is something going on as now Rotoworld has jumped in, albeit with info already being said on bleacher report. Personnel from inside the complex stating "eeirly silent towards Pags within the building". Something is a brew but what....

I don't really get the Saban love.  He is 65 years old, might be around 4 years, and call it good.  He hasn't been successful in the NFL. If I were Irsay and I was after college coaches, I would go Harbaugh and Urban Meyer.  Much younger, have been successful without future draft picks at every position, and would be here for awhile.

4 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

I don't really get the Saban love.  He is 65 years old, might be around 4 years, and call it good.  He hasn't been successful in the NFL. If I were Irsay and I was after college coaches, I would go Harbaugh and Urban Meyer.  Much younger, have been successful without future draft picks at every position, and would be here for awhile.

I don't want Saban but Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan IMO and I can't stand Meyer but I have to admit he's a good coach.  I was kinda thinking he might be waiting on a chance to make a run at Dabo from Clemson. 

That or he wants to make a run at someone on a playoff team.  I wouldn't rule out Jim Bob Cooter.  He used to be here and has been a hot name in coaching speculation.

Still if he was going after any of those it would be hard to keep it all hush hush and begs the question of why is Pagano still here unless him staying is still on the table somehow.

1 hour ago, jvan1973 said:

You can rule harbaugh out.  He isn't leaving Michigan.  

I don't think so either but, isn't he losing pretty much his entire defense? He could come to Indy and have Luck and no defense, it's an upgrade. Kidding...

7 hours ago, Gavin said:

Gavin you know football that much is sure, but I think you're wrong about Irsay decision! When has anybody known Irsay to be silent?

2 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I don't want Saban but Harbaugh isn't leaving Michigan IMO and I can't stand Meyer but I have to admit he's a good coach.  I was kinda thinking he might be waiting on a chance to make a run at Dabo from Clemson. 

Dabo runs a hurry up spread offense.   A poor man's Chip Kelly.  No thanks

10 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

It's not about how long anyone would coach it's about how many SB's could be won in whatever time span it is. The reason why Pagano gets a lot of heat is because if we had any other QB than Luck, then it would be easier to live with building/rebuilding whatever as there would be time to grow. Luck, although not Manning, is a GREAT QB and a chance to get another one may never happen again, so we need to win NOW while we have him. Not settle for years of hoping to build and get better. This is why Saban is attractive.

13 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Meyer's teams at Florida and OSU have been stacked.

22 minutes ago, lennymoore24 said:

Both of those guys are as unattainable as Saban

49 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Dabo runs a hurry up spread offense.   A poor man's Chip Kelly.  No thanks

I'm an ACC fan and I'm not overly impressed with Clemson. They're good but, as a whole that is a trash football conference. 

5 minutes ago, corgi said:

I'm an ACC fan and I'm not overly impressed with Clemson. They're good but, as a whole that is a trash football conference. 

Agree with you on Clemson, but that conference that can be somewhat inconsistent at times, has also gone 8-3 in bowl games so far. They are not trash, but I am bias while living in NC .

17 minutes ago, corgi said:

Very true,   but FSU and Clemson are no joke.   I just don't think an NFL team can have long term success with that style of offense

I don't think any of us really knows what's going on in Irsay's mind right now.  For all we know he may be hanging out, chiiling to some Grateful Dead, trying to drown out all the "noise" and finding his happy place.  If we get to the draft and haven't heard anything then I think it's safe to say these guys aren't goin anywhere.  Until then......

36 minutes ago, Zach Boyd said:

In my opinion Saban makes the most sense anyone else who could have had a sit down with . There is definitely something now if nothing pans out we will never no who and what but if it does then no one is gonna be to angry

Don't you just hate posting on a phone?

I do.

2 hours ago, Moe said:

Gavin you know football that much is sure, but I think you're wrong about Irsay decision! When has anybody known Irsay to be silent?

True but he sure wasn't silent last year when he chose to keep them both and went on this spiel about continuity. I don't see him backtracking after just 1 year or even 2...Maybe 3 but I doubt it