Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts fans may hear something by Jan. 12th(My guess)

Indeee

If Jim is really considering alternative moves, I think he is waiting to speak to Saban. This would make sense to me, as there is no way he is going to let all the potential NFL coordinators who are interesting choices fall to other teams by not lining anything up. I think Saban is his guy and depending on what happens on Jan 9th, might determine whether Saban wants another NFL gig. This time as HC and GM. Just a guess of course, amongst many out there

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, Indeee said:

If Jim is really considering alternative moves, I think he is waiting to speak to Saban. This would make sense to me, as there is no way he is going to let all the potential NFL coordinators who are interesting choices fall to other teams by not lining anything up. I think Saban is his guy and depending on what happens on Jan 9th, might determine whether Saban wants another NFL gig. This time as HC and GM. Just a guess of course, amongst many out there

I agree

4 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

I would agree and just posted this in another thread.  Saban won't talk until the season is over.  Perhaps that is what he is waiting for?

So he's going to make Pagano and Grigson stew in a Fondue until then?  I like the direction you're thinking here however.

I think he already is talking to some veteran head coaches.  What order his preference is is anybody's guess.  But if Saban is one of his targets he has already contacted his people. He won't wait until his season is over.  He needs to know one way or the other.  The longer it goes the more the needle is pointing to luring a big name.  Saban or someone else. 

23 minutes ago, Indeee said:

I concur.

Does Saban show any particular skill beyond being able to recruit the best athletes?

Does he game plan each opponent differently based upon the skills of his players vs the skills of the opponent?

Or does he pretty much run the same O and D game after game and win because he has better players?

Is he innovative on O, D, or practice habits or training?

I don't know.  I'm asking.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Does Saban show any particular skill beyond being able to recruit the best athletes?

Does he game plan each opponent differently based upon the skills of his players vs the skills of the opponent?

Or does he pretty much run the same O and D game after game and win because he has better players?

Is he innovative on O, D, or practice habits or training?

I don't know.  I'm asking.

Saban pioneered various cover 3 concepts.

To be honest, I'd rather have McDaniels before Saban, and I'm not even fully sold on Josh yet.

But just some further speculation (because lets be real, that's all we got to do until someone says something). 

Irsay did say that he won't just fire coaches for the sake of firing coaches. He needs to make sure there is a clear cut better option out there, which is one of the reasons he may not have fired them last season. Perhaps once again, he doesn't see any of the coordinators or other NFL level candidates as improvement over Pagano and Grigson, but he does like Saban. He probably knows luring Saban would be next to impossible,so he wants to meet/talk with Saban before he fires Pagano. Perhaps that's why hes taking so long.

Granted, I might be completely wrong (heck I probably am), but if Irsay was interested in replacing Pagano (which I don't think he is still), then he would have made it obvious now unless he was trying to lure one of the big fish in CFB.

If Irsay is truly interested in Saban,  he can call Saban's agent to gauge any real interest.      If the two sides want to talk,  that's how it's done at this point with Saban's attention focused elsewhere.

The agent can say.....   "you're wasting your time...."     Or....   "He might be interested, but you'll have to talk to him after the NC game..."

8 minutes ago, backshoulderfade said:

Saban pioneered various cover 3 concepts.

Is he still pioneering things or running anything different at bama than anybody else is in college or the pros.  Just trying to assess what he would bring to the team in 2017.

5 minutes ago, grmasterb said:

What makes anyone think Saban would be interested?

Lots of things. First off, he doesn't have anything else to accomplish in college. Secondly, his first go round as an NFL coach was short and incomplete. Thirdly, it's now or never.  

17 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Is he still pioneering things or running anything different at bama than anybody else is in college or the pros.  Just trying to assess what he would bring to the team in 2017.

I don't follow Alabama as a die-hard fan,  but I've never seen a single story that says that Saban is only good because he's got better players than everyone else.     He's known as a brilliant coach of his players.

In fact, if the NFL has any real objection about Saban it's that many of his players don't get much better after they leave Alabama and go pro.      Why?     Because they're getting NFL-Level coaching in college and that starts with Saban.      He's a really exceptional coach and much more than just a coach with a lot of talented kids.

8 minutes ago, mahagga73 said:

Lots of things. First off, he doesn't have anything else to accomplish in college. Secondly, his first go round as an NFL coach was short and incomplete. Thirdly, it's now or never.  

Saban needs three more NCs at Bama to top Bear Bryant. That means something.

Just now, grmasterb said:

No media source is reporting that Saban is considering a move to the NFL, let alone the Colts.

my point was...coaches are full of crap.  When it comes to their future I don't believe a word they say.

1 hour ago, Indeee said:

It'd be hard to pull that off. Why leave somewhere where you're guaranteed to win every year and be in a championship hunt? 

I'd love Saban. But he's 65, I don't think he'd want to start over. Probably 3-5 more years if even that at Bama and he'll hang it up 

Just now, TKnight24 said:

It'd be hard to pull that off. Why leave somewhere where you're guaranteed to win every year and be in a championship hunt? 

I'd love Saban. But he's 65, I don't think he'd want to start over. Probably 3-5 more years if even that at Bama and he'll hang it up 

His 65 looks much better than most.