Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why delaying the activation of Morris?

Gyworks

I would say there is still a chance Luck plays until they come out and say he's out for sure.  The fact he finished the game Sunday makes me somewhat hopeful that he can go.  I think they don't want to waste the roster spot just in case.  We will likely know Wednesday afternoon I would think.

3 hours ago, Gyworks said:

Isn't it curious that the Colts haven't yet activated Morris from the practice squad by Wednesday? Are they playing some secret strategy? Or is there still some chance for Luck to play this week?

Have to figure out who to cut to bring up Morris

5 hours ago, Gyworks said:

Isn't it curious that the Colts haven't yet activated Morris from the practice squad by Wednesday? Are they playing some secret strategy? Or is there still some chance for Luck to play this week?

There's no rush anyway. Its not like he's not on the team already or doesnt know

the playbook. Hes participated in every practice.

53 minutes ago, krunk said:

There's no rush anyway. Its not like he's not on the team already or doesnt know

the playbook. Hes participated in every practice.

True. But there is always some risk involved with a PS guy to be signed by another team. Why taking that risk even if it's very small? I don't think they can really confuse Tomlin as PIT knows very well that Morris will be our backup if Luck can't suit up. 

There is still time.  If I remember correctly, Luck has to practice today in order to have a chance to play tomorrow?  Morris knows the playbook so there is no rush to bring him up.  I've been waiting for the Colts to elevate Morris from the practice squad.  When that happens we all obviously know Tolzein's starting.  I am hoping we know more information soon.  Waiting and not knowing 100% is nerve racking!

7 minutes ago, BullsColtsFan1 said:

There is still time.  If I remember correctly, Luck has to practice today in order to have a chance to play tomorrow?  Morris knows the playbook so there is no rush to bring him up.  I've been waiting for the Colts to elevate Morris from the practice squad.  When that happens we all obviously know Tolzein's starting.  I am hoping we know more information soon.  Waiting and not knowing 100% is nerve racking!

Same way I've been feeling!  Just shoot me already with the suspense.

1 hour ago, Gyworks said:

True. But there is always some risk involved with a PS guy to be signed by another team. Why taking that risk even if it's very small? I don't think they can really confuse Tomlin as PIT knows very well that Morris will be our backup if Luck can't suit up. 

If another team offers Morris a contract, the Colts would have the option to match it and Morris would get to choose which team to be with. 

There is no advantage do activating Morris now.  I think it makes complete sense to make Pittsburgh wait as long as possible.  I also think they do it last minute to make sure everyone comes through the final practice healthy.  

I also think it is no reflection on their belief Luck can play.  They already know, or at least have a really good idea, of what his status will be.  

4 minutes ago, VAcoltsfan said:

I have a feeling Luck is going to play.

I agree. While some others are saying Morris not being activated at this point is indicative of nothing, I think he would be active at this point if Luck was going to be out. I think Luck practices today and is ready to go by tomorrow.

1 hour ago, Jason_S said:

If another team offers Morris a contract, the Colts would have the option to match it and Morris would get to choose which team to be with. 

if i were the steelers i would consider making him an offer, at least to the practice squad

he might just sign with them, they are more likely to make a run than we are

Here is where I read it:

Asked on a conference call when the Colts found out Andrew Luck wasn't playing, T.Y. Hilton said, "we found out in the team meeting room when he wasn't there. Coach brought it to our attention." Talked about wanting to "win for him."

i?img=%2Fi%2Fcolumnists%2Ffowler_jeremy_m.jpg&w=80&h=80&scale=cropJeremy Fowler, ESPN Staff Writer

It makes no difference for practice. They have to cut someone in order to activate Morris, and they don't want to cut someone until they absolutely have to. You have end of roster decisions to make, position groups to balance for the 46 man game squad, etc. So they'll wait until the last minute, and they'll activate Morris.

By the way, I think they'll activate him even if, by some miracle, Luck is cleared (which I don't expect to happen). 

10 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

if i were the steelers i would consider making him an offer, at least to the practice squad

he might just sign with them, they are more likely to make a run than we are

Another team cannot offer Morris a contract to join their practice squad.  If Pitt wanted to sign Morris, they'd have to sign him to their active roster and he'd have to stay there for at least 3 weeks.

Just now, Jason_S said:

Another team cannot offer Morris a contract to join their practice squad.  If Pitt wanted to sign Morris, they'd have to sign him to their active roster and he'd have to stay there for at least 3 weeks.

could still be worth it if helps them get a win.  3 weeks is not long

5 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

not entirely true either he could be cut after one week

http://www.sbnation.com/2016/9/3/12773904/nfl-practice-squad-players-roster-rules-eligibility-primer

Just now, aaron11 said:

He could be cut after one week. But they can't fill that roster spot for three weeks, and they have to pay him active roster salary for three weeks.

I think we all know this isn't going to happen.

1 minute ago, aaron11 said:

but they still get paid for 3 weeks.  And that article also says that what you're suggesting Pitt do can't be done:

"An opponent cannot sign a player off of a rival’s practice squad to use them to prepare for an upcoming game. Say the Saints are getting ready to play the Falcons, and Sean Payton wants to be sneaky, so New Orleans wants to sign a player off of Atlanta’s practice squad. The Saints can’t do that fewer than five days before the game against the Falcons, and if there’s a bye week before that matchup, the minimum is nine days "

1 minute ago, Superman said:

Do you think the roster status of Stephen Morris is the key to this game?

it could be if ST goes down

i do think that could be worth cutting whoever is at the bottom of the steelers roster, this game is important to them too

4 minutes ago, Jason_S said:

but they still get paid for 3 weeks.  And that article also says that what you're suggesting Pitt do can't be done:

"An opponent cannot sign a player off of a rival’s practice squad to use them to prepare for an upcoming game. Say the Saints are getting ready to play the Falcons, and Sean Payton wants to be sneaky, so New Orleans wants to sign a player off of Atlanta’s practice squad. The Saints can’t do that fewer than five days before the game against the Falcons, and if there’s a bye week before that matchup, the minimum is nine days "

i guess that settles it then

somebody like the texans or titans could do it to mess us up though

8 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

it could be if ST goes down

i do think that could be worth cutting whoever is at the bottom of the steelers roster, this game is important to them too

To me, the key to this game is Andrew Luck. If he doesn't play, the Colts won't win. And I don't think he's going to play.

40 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

i guess that settles it then

somebody like the texans or titans could do it to mess us up though

I'm cracking up with the Morris at qb thing. If Morris was all that, he would have been picked up by someone by now. If anyone believes that Morris is the key to a win tomorrow, and him being the difference between a win and a loss, is so sadly mistaken. If anyone thinks that another team is going to upset their roster right now just to mess with the Colts is sadly mistaken. 

Look, I liked Morris too in the preseason, thought he threw a great ball and it came out quickly. However, he did play against the 3's and 4's so we never got to see how he was against the more talented and experienced players like he would face tomorrow. I think they elevate him tomorrow as well just in case Luck does play and get re-injured. But Morris isn't the key to this game and nobody in this league is concerned that he comes up or not. Their team roster won't change because of him or it already would have.