Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Why delaying the activation of Morris?

Gyworks

19 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

I'm cracking up with the Morris at qb thing. If Morris was all that, he would have been picked up by someone by now. If anyone believes that Morris is the key to a win tomorrow, and him being the difference between a win and a loss, is so sadly mistaken. If anyone thinks that another team is going to upset their roster right now just to mess with the Colts is sadly mistaken. 

Look, I liked Morris too in the preseason, thought he threw a great ball and it came out quickly. However, he did play against the 3's and 4's so we never got to see how he was against the more talented and experienced players like he would face tomorrow. I think they elevate him tomorrow as well just in case Luck does play and get re-injured. But Morris isn't the key to this game and nobody in this league is concerned that he comes up or not. Their team roster won't change because of him or it already would have. 

Nobody in here thinks Morris is the key to a win but many in here think he is better than Tolzien and gives us a better chance to win.

13 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

here come the wolves

i stand by my comment.  i know its not the type of thing that normally happens, but that doesnt mean it couldn't work

Which comment? Your original comment was something that is impossible under the rules... so was your 2nd and the 3rd is so plaintively unlikely it's not realistic. 

So are you standing by the impossible, the impossible, or the farcical? 

Sometimes it's ok to just put your hands up to not checking something out before posting rather than doubling down. 

I'm also quite clearly a squirrel, not a wolf.

Just now, PeterBowman said:

most likely true but luckily it's not exactly a "must win" game. Close but not quite.

About as close as you can get. The historic percentage of making the playoffs between being 6-5 and 5-6 is crazy. Like 40 odd % chance dropping to 13%. 

Not saying it it would be the end if we lose but it makes it a very steep mountain.

1 minute ago, PeterBowman said:

most likely true but luckily it's not exactly a "must win" game. Close but not quite.

I think you could easily say it is. To get into the playoffs the Colts at a minimum will probably need to be 9-7. I think Houston would win a tiebreaker if we each had the exact same records. So, we need to go at least 4-2 in these remaining six games. Colts lose tomorrow night they can only afford one more loss. That isn't looking good at that point.

11 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

Nobody in here thinks Morris is the key to a win but many in here think he is better than Tolzien and gives us a better chance to win.

Only a desperate team is going to take a guy off your PS roster, that you may not even see on the colts active roster, just to try and screw another teams chance of winning but in the same process force them to cut a roster spot they've wanted for whatever period of time they've used it and then be forced to keep the guy for 4 total weeks on the active roster (or that spot open anyways). Second, if the Colts had the same assessment in Morris as a couple of you have here, they would have cut Tolzien early on, saved some cap space and not risked cutting Morris when they did only hoping he would clear waivers to get to the PS. If you honestly sit back and think about how absurd the theory you proposed (not singling out anyone) is, you can understand how slim the chances are that Morris is an option for another team obtaining to screw us out of using him for 1 game. I don't see it. 

2 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

Only a desperate team is going to take a guy off your PS roster, that you may not even see on the colts active roster, just to try and screw another teams chance of winning but in the same process force them to cut a roster spot they've wanted for whatever period of time they've used it and then be forced to keep the guy for 4 total weeks on the active roster (or that spot open anyways). Second, if the Colts had the same assessment in Morris as a couple of you have here, they would have cut Tolzien early on, saved some cap space and not risked cutting Morris when they did only hoping he would clear waivers to get to the PS. If you honestly sit back and think about how absurd the theory you proposed (not singling out anyone) is, you can understand how slim the chances are that Morris is an option for another team obtaining to screw us out of using him for 1 game. I don't see it. 

To your first point, the Colts ARE a desperate team. We are 5-5. To your second point, no one is claiming Morris is some can't miss talent. However, I do think he probably offers more potential upside than Tolzien. Tolzien is not going to get it done. The guy wasn't even good in college and has been below average in the NFL thus far. Morris at least offers something with his mobility.

1 hour ago, Dudley Smith said:

To your first point, the Colts ARE a desperate team. We are 5-5. To your second point, no one is claiming Morris is some can't miss talent. However, I do think he probably offers more potential upside than Tolzien. Tolzien is not going to get it done. The guy wasn't even good in college and has been below average in the NFL thus far. Morris at least offers something with his mobility.

Ok, to your points

1. The colts aren't the team trying to take another's teams PS player just to block another teams chance of using them for a chance to win so that point is moot. 

2. I think a few on here have eluded to the fact that Morris is quite the talent and other teams would try to get him off our team just in order to minimize our chance to win the game by using him. What other possible reason could anyone here use that says let's take a teams PS wit so they can't win if Luck doesn't play? Teams don't look at PS players around the league as this guy is marginal, let's go sign him as he can help our team. 

As for the 3rd point, I can only point out that if this kid had such an upside that's greater than Tolziens, what purpose does keeping Tolzien on the active list over Morris all season long when Tolzien costs more cash? The rationale just isn't there for me that a team could be so spot off that it misses talent so far off when it's on your team all season long. I can't see past that part to make your argument valid. Who knows, I may be off in thinking about this stuff and Morris could be the guy. We will soon see. 

Like i said, I liked what I seen in Morris to in the Preseason but as others pointed out during that timeframe, he did not see the opposing teams top or midlevel talent, it got PS players or cuts to go against. Morris isn't a rookie as I recall, correct?

11 minutes ago, Jdubu said:

1. Yes, I see now your response was with taking players off a practice squad.

2. I think part of the reason people, myself included, prefer Morris over Tolzien is that Morris has at least showed some presence on the football field and has shown he can make big plays. Tolzien is a game manager at best, and maybe he would be okay on a team like Seattle, LA, or Minny where there is a great defense. However, the Colts need points to help out our defense. Tolzien is not going to be the guy to put points on the board. He is very limited. Morris not only has a bigger arm to take advantage of Hilton and Dorsett, he can move with his legs which will help with our Oline woes. I would love to be wrong about Tolzien, but being a Big 10 guy (MSU fan) I watched him at Wisconsin and wasn't impressed, and he has been bad in the NFL since entering the league. I am surprised he has even made it in this long in the NFL. If he starts tomorrow we aren't going to win the game. We probably don't win it with Morris, but he at least adds some interesting possibilities that may help put up some much needed points.

1 hour ago, Dudley Smith said:

I agree with everything you said.  I'd rather roll the dice with Morris, he has more upside. 

31 minutes ago, Dudley Smith said:

1. Yes, I see now your response was with taking players off a practice squad.

2. I think part of the reason people, myself included, prefer Morris over Tolzien is that Morris has at least showed some presence on the football field and has shown he can make big plays. Tolzien is a game manager at best, and maybe he would be okay on a team like Seattle, LA, or Minny where there is a great defense. However, the Colts need points to help out our defense. Tolzien is not going to be the guy to put points on the board. He is very limited. Morris not only has a bigger arm to take advantage of Hilton and Dorsett, he can move with his legs which will help with our Oline woes. I would love to be wrong about Tolzien, but being a Big 10 guy (MSU fan) I watched him at Wisconsin and wasn't impressed, and he has been bad in the NFL since entering the league. I am surprised he has even made it in this long in the NFL. If he starts tomorrow we aren't going to win the game. We probably don't win it with Morris, but he at least adds some interesting possibilities that may help put up some much needed points.

You won't have much disagreement with me about liking Morris,it's just I can't see the team sticking to Tolzien all this season and hoping that if we need a qb in Lucks place, that the team leapfrogs Morris over Tolzien, even if we think he is an awful qb. 

16 hours ago, Gyworks said:

Isn't it curious that the Colts haven't yet activated Morris from the practice squad by Wednesday? Are they playing some secret strategy? Or is there still some chance for Luck to play this week?

There is no good purpose to activate him sooner, so why would they is the REAL ?
 Silliness.

Again, bad feeling this season will end up so much like last year.  We just miss out on the playoffs and draft to low to get a real difference-maker for the defense in the draft.  I REALLY feel the NFL needs to alter their draft position to allow teams that TRY to make the playoffs but fall just short a higher draft pick.  This would eliminate some of the tanking we see.

On 11/23/2016 at 1:03 PM, SteelCityColt said:

Which comment? Your original comment was something that is impossible under the rules... so was your 2nd and the 3rd is so plaintively unlikely it's not realistic. 

So are you standing by the impossible, the impossible, or the farcical? 

Sometimes it's ok to just put your hands up to not checking something out before posting rather than doubling down. 

I'm also quite clearly a squirrel, not a wolf.

dont tell me how to comment bro, its not even that deep. 

i still think morris could be a factor, there is zero reason to have any confidence whatsoever in tolzien.  morris is much more physically talented

it would not have been crazy for Tennessee or Houston to snatch him up

3 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

dont tell me how to comment bro, its not even that deep. 

i still think morris could be a factor, there is zero reason to have any confidence whatsoever in tolzien

it would not have been crazy for Tennessee or Houston to snatch him up

If its not crazy I'm sure you can find a previous example of a division rival taking someone off another teams PS just to mess with them before a game...

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

If its not crazy I'm sure you can find a previous example of a division rival taking someone off another teams PS just to mess with them before a game...

doesnt mean that it would never work

i cant prove that its a good idea and you cant prove that isnt

Just now, aaron11 said:

doesnt mean that it would never work

i cant prove that its a good idea and you cant prove that isnt

Well, in general the football IQ in the league is probably way higher than on here so if it was a viable strategy someone would have done it by now. BB I'm looking at you here. It's why the rules are written up as they are. 

1 hour ago, SteelCityColt said:

Well, in general the football IQ in the league is probably way higher than on here so if it was a viable strategy someone would have done it by now. BB I'm looking at you here. It's why the rules are written up as they are. 

nothing wrong with thinking outside of the box, this is just a discussion forum