Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Keith Butler Steelers Linebacker Coach New Dc./butler Stays In Pitts (Merge)

Balzer40

• Replies 232
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from Wiki - pretty funny in retrospect:

"Butler began his coaching career at Memphis in 1990, coaching linebackers and later expanding his role to cover defensive ends and special teams by 1997. He was the architect of a surprise 3-4 defensive scheme which led to the U of M's shocking 1996 upset of the #6 Tennessee Volunteers, led by junior quarterback Peyton Manning. "

So we hired a Ravens DC and he's raiding the Steeler's coaching staff...

Hunh didn't see that one coming...

Very odd indeed, but I guess they all have a history together at some level.... That best staff in the NFL that Pags spoke about in the presser is starting to come together!

Thats amazing news, the steelers kept giving him more money the past like 4 years so he would not leave. He was their coach in waiting to become the steelers Defense coordinator when Lebeau retired. I'm really liking the hires so far, maybe Pagano was not lying when he said the "Best Coaching Staff". I never thought Bulter would leave Pittsburgh, thats how high everyone thinks of him. The Steelers LB's consistently are top 3 in the League every year.

3-4 Defence looks imminent...

Can Nevis play NT effectively? Do we have 3-4 DE's? Does Freeney fit the system?

Gonna be an interesting time here.

I think Nevis is too undersized to be a true NT. The knock on him in the draft discussions last year was that he was an electric player with a great motor, but undersized for defensive tackle (that's why we could nab him in the third round).

3-4 Defence looks imminent...

I'm thinking more of a hybrid, myself. Pagano will still have a major say in what scheme we run and he seems more flexible than he does a purist, one way or another. Regardless what we run, strong linebacker play has been missing from this team for awhile, and Butler should improve what we have and have the eye to recognize new talent where available.

I'm amp'd, eitherway!

Arians may be a sign we keep Manning. He was his QB coach from 98-00 if I'm not mistaken.

I'm all for it. Smash mouth football with a quality QB...now we just need a great RB.

No we don't. We just need 2-3 servicable RB's. That's all that's required in this league anymore. RB's are a dime-a-dozen.