Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

how good is Good?

DarkHorse

13 minutes ago, DarkHorse said:

I don't play the game is where I live but I'm curious how good is he at Right Guard. Should he stay there and develop or move on

At this point not very good tbh but he is a very young player, he make some plays but has a lot of bad ones to. But overall he is below average at this point. That being said he has played better than reitz and is about the same level at heag. 

The oline might be more improved next yr, which Kelly having more exp mewhort healthy, my hope if that Clark development goes very well and he is good enough to start at Rt for the yr and good and heag battle it out for rg. But this is just wishful thinking 

7 minutes ago, Happy2BeHere said:

This guy is Good even when he is bad...and this probably confuses our coaching staff :lol:

I Like this.

With that being said, we don't have anyone else to put there especially with injuries. I like Haeg and I think he will be a colt for a very long time. His versatility has saved us games, and I whole heatedly believe that. Good kind of reminds me of Clark, good measurables but just an overall raw talent. He has lots of potential and he is a really strong guy, he just needs to learn how to dance with the best. With all of that being said, that sounds like most rookies. 

Not that good. Limited range and awareness, and his feet get heavy too often. He's had some rough games, and some good games. He can clean up some of his mistakes and gain awareness, so I think he can get better and be a serviceable starter. He's better in the run game, IMO. 

10 minutes ago, dudeski said:

Haeg- who has struggled just as much if not more is a fan favorite

good-  has struggled but people aren't sure about him or want him benched

someone explain that nonsense to me

I think it has to do with fans seeing how much Good struggled last year and it carrying over this year and others just see Haeg as just making rookie mistakes and lacking strength. Look for fans to turn on Haeg if he struggles in year 2. What is probably the biggest factor is the complete nose dive Reitz's play took this year possibly or even probably propping fans opinion of Haegs play up

Either way that right side is still a problem and even though Thornton struggled a lot we could use him at RG to see if he improved after he came in to the offseason in better shape

I don't always go by what Pagano says about a player.  I sometimes believe what Grigson says.   I almost always pay attention to what Irsay says though.  He has mentioned Good several times in an admiring way.  KInd of like Anderson.  He also mentioned that he liked a particular grouping on the right side in one game.  I know Good was the RG and I think Haeg may have been the RT.   Either way, he likes the guy and I kind of trust his take.  Heck, he may even be right about Pagano and Grigson, but that remains to be seen.

Good was a seventh round pick from a small school who switched to guard in his second season. He won the job  during the preseason and no one has taken it away from him.  If he keeps improving every week no one will take it away from him.  He is a monster of a man who is a perfect fit at RG.  Haag is quicker on his feet and with more strength and experience would be a perfect answer at tackle.  I see Haag starting at RT the rest of the way. The only question mark for the future is Costanzo.  He played well against GB but if he continues his erratic play they will be looking for a LT in the offseason.

50 minutes ago, Defjamz26 said:

Not very....

And it's not because he's a young player who needs more time to develop.

I think you are wrong as My opinion.

I have seen this guy make plays i have not seen maybe 2-3 players do in the 30+years of watching the NFL.

That being said, he does have awareness issues when dropping into pass blocking.  i think he's givien up 3 sacks that i've seen. ( i am pretty good at o-line watching each play, but not every play, he may have given up an additional 1 o2.)  He has only been beaten once that i have noticed by the man he actually had his hands on. it is stunts, delayed blitzes, ect he has issues seeing.

In the run game, he is powerfull and thorough.  He can be seen blocking his man to the second level at times, or simply to the ground.

1-V-1, no one on this team run blocks better.  but he needs to be a game film junky when talking about pass blocking.

On 11/10/2016 at 1:38 PM, Gavin said:

He has had some good moments but overall he has far from locked it down at RG . If Thornton is healthy come TC and pre season I think he and Good compete to start

I'd be shocked if Thornton is still on the team next year. I think hes done in a Colts uniform.

Just now, RockThatBlue said:

I'd be shocked if Thornton is still on the team next year. I think hes done in a Colts uniform.

Maybe but given that he is still on the roster it tells me they still currently view him worth keeping. That may change based on his recovery and how well Good does the 2nd half of the season but right now I don't see that Good has locked RG down

Fair, but really inconsistent. Want to see him grow and improve, but we are halfway through the year and you just don't see the growth yet. Really want to see him develop second half of this year- we need it and he needs it.  Would be great to see us have that strong core of G/C/G all playing well and growing together.

I know everyone says time, time, but NFL is short-term league. You need too much time to develop, someone else is coming along to take your spot. Will happen to Good if he doesn't have more to offer soon.

Good is a project player. There are a number of them on every team. When you have a starting unit of 1st string vets, guys like Good, Haeg  & Clark don't start, they develop behind the scenes. The Colts are so behind in O-line staffing, they are forced to start guys who aren't really ready or polished yet, like Good & Haeg.

Good, frankly, is the best RG on the team, because of his freakish strength an athleticism. The art of the those positions, the technique, the recognition and adjustments are his challenge, and he now must learn on the fly. He's essentially a rookie O-Lineman, who's making rookie mistakes. On the other hand, his physical tool set is way ahead of his technique. 1-on-1 rushing he wins 99 out of 100 times with ridiculous strength. He always moves his man and never loses an inch at the LOS. In pass blocking he's only been beat a few times 1-on-1 by power rushers, most were because they lifted his shoulder pads and displaced his weight. Those were savvy, powerful vets who got the best of him with experience & technique, but he still won the majority of the battles with them too. Where he gives up a pressure, or a hit, is almost always on stunts or delayed blitzes. They are designed to create problems and they have on the right side. Since he improves every week, you play him. If he continues to improve, his ceiling is very, very high. He could be long term badass at the position. And by the way, Haeg makes the exact same errors, just as often, if not slightly more, and with both of them on the same side, they have bad downs. Haeg however, is not even close to the strength category Good is in, so he gets beat by power pretty regularly, along with his recognition errors. Both of those guys have a long way to go and a lot to learn and work on, but they are both worthy contenders.