Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our WRs threw Luck under the bus after the game. They're quitters.

zibby43

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Jaric said:

"I wasn't paying attention..."

-TY Hilton.

I feel you TY, I enjoy watching red zone more myself.

My exact feelings . . . These Colts literally deserve the attention that the Colts got in the  Curtis Painter days. I wonder how TY is gonna feel when he is doing some ridiculous end zone dance after a touchdown against a weak Afc south team, and the stands at Lucas are totally empty. Lol 

Also if Hilton is injured, why is he playing?  If the Colts are completely out of it at the end of the season, I really hope they just bench key players and beat up ones, give the back up brigade a shot to make sure next year everyone is healthy. 

10 minutes ago, Ratking said:

My exact feelings . . . These Colts literally deserve the attention that the Colts got in the  Curtis Painter days. I wonder how TY is gonna feel when he is doing some ridiculous end zone dance after a touchdown against a weak Afc south team, and the stands at Lucas are totally empty. Lol 

They should sit him next week honestly.  Maybe that will get his attention.

They are really trying to spin this against the receivers.  Hilton for the most part it sounded like he just didn't want to talk.  

That said I think a big part of Luck's problem is that he doesn't push his teammates.  He'll push himself hard, but when people are failing around him he doesn't let them know about it.  Instead he just goes into the media room and takes all the blame.  His fault we lead the league in sacks, his fault we lead the league in drops.  The man blamed himself for Reggie Wayne tearing his ACL a couple years ago.    Etc Etc

I DNK that Peyton really hung teammates out to dry in front of the media but it didn't seem like he took more blame then what was due to him.  He'd take responsibility for his interceptions so he wasn't passing it off at all.  But he didn't go out there and take the blame for crap that isn't his fault. 

I honestly don't think Luck pushes his teammates.  He'll give some rah rah speeches, but he doesn't get in someone's face when they are repeatedly blowing it.  I honestly don't think it's in his character.  

Luck should have taken the blame for the interception and a few poorly thrown balls.  But his receivers didn't do him any big favors either.  

8 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Indeed, sauce or it's hearsay.

Yeah Skybane, you must be right, that darn OP must be lying or out of context....

8 hours ago, zibby43 said:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/10/30/doyel-which-problem-area-address-ll-take-receivers/92896256/

"After the game, as Hilton tried to leave the locker room without talking to the media, I stopped him outside the door and asked him what the Chiefs defense had done to make his day so difficult.

“I don’t know,” Hilton said. “I wasn’t paying attention.”

Lovely. The media converged, and someone asked him about his lack of production:

“I was hurt,” he said.

Someone else asked him about his inconsistency this season.

“I was hurt,” he repeated.

The only time Hilton showed any interest in answering a question was when someone asked how he got hurt. He gave three or four sentences, but you won’t read them here.

I wasn’t paying attention.

Here’s the thing: Hilton wasn’t the only problem with the Colts receiving corps on Sunday. And this is new territory for us to tread, because it goes away from the grain that says the problem is the offensive line, or Luck for his bonehead plays, or the coaching staff for its bonehead calls. And those are all valid points, in this game and in others.

But the receivers have rarely helped matters this season. And on Sunday they made things worse.

T.Y. Hilton caught one more pass than Conrad Hilton, but at least he caught one. Devin Street caught no passes, and dropped two.

Phillip Dorsett caught all five passes thrown his way, but he gained a measly 33 yards. Fastest player on the team. Nothing but short passes. Brilliant coaching there. The one time Dorsett ran way down the field, on the Hail Mary that fell incomplete near the end zone on the Colts' final play, he ended up face down on the turf, grabbing his hamstring, needing medical attention. Afterward Chuck Pagano didn’t include Dorsett in his postgame injury report, and Dorsett told me he’s fine.

Moncrief did score one touchdown, and he did catch another TD with 1:51 left and nobody in the crowd watching and a holding penalty on Denzelle Good to nullify it. But he was bad, too. Nine targets, four catches, 41 yards. Second play of the game, on a crossing route, Moncrief heard footsteps and stopped running.

Luck’s pass was catchable, but somebody could get hurt trying to catch that. No thank you, Moncrief said.

Luck’s interception was thrown Moncrief’s way, but Chiefs cornerback Phillip Gaines fought for the ball and Moncrief didn’t. Not a great pass by Luck. Not great effort from Moncrief. Teamwork, that turnover.

The Colts’ difficulty all day in the passing game was a team effort – not enough time, not enough accuracy, not enough “catching” – but in the locker room afterward, it sounded sort of like Luck’s fault.

“I let the team down,” Luck said.

His receivers rushed to his aid. Kidding! Dorsett decided that “we (receivers) were getting open” and Moncrief valiantly suggested there were “some plays we've got to make, even if they're bad balls.”

Don’t ask Hilton what went wrong. He wasn’t paying attention.

Some day that could be you, Colts fans. Some day soon. At 3-5 and without the talent or coaching to turn it around, the Colts are tempting you to turn away."

Or not.  Is that the sauce you needed?

If not, I suggest you supply the needed condiment to explain their comments and while you're at it, their terrible performance.   The O-Line still gave up what, 6 sacks by the end?  I didn't see a list of quotes by them blaming Luck at least.  Everyone knows they suck and so do they.  Until you have your own stuff fixed, you blame yourself.  If you play perfect, you blame everyone generally, starting with only yourself by name, in that obvious and generic way actual disciplined teams are taught to do.  Feel free to yell at Luck in the locker room, when your own BLANK doesn't stink.  

Dorsett should have been trade bait.  He's shown nothing for us and the longer he gets exposed as a bust, the less he'll be worth before he eventually exits and goes elsewhere to a well managed team that at least will use him appropriately.  He isn't taking short passes to the house.  He isn't catching short balls as a possession receiver might.. he is supposed to be one of the fastest guys in the league, but we never seem to see him open deep like say, the slower Hilton or for that matter Moncrief, is all the time.  Perhaps no one else would be dumb enough to cough up something decent for a busted first rounder, Grigson seems to be the only GM willing to do that.  

I'd take a mid 4th for him or a high end back up LB, but I doubt that trade exists. By the season's end, we may not even get a conditional 5th for him over the summer.  He should be the guy who goes deep, especially with Hilton hurt, 4-8 times a game, wide open with his speed so the one or two times Luck has enough time to wait for that route, he can throw it to Dorsett and take advantage of his only beneficial skill as a receiver, speed.   But we all know he'd probably drop it anyway.  

WR is now a position of need for us almost as critical as all the Defensive weaknesses.  I said it over the summer that we needed at least one more solid veteran WR on board, but instead we went with a bare cupboard because you know Grigson thinks all his big picks will deliver and depth is unnecessary.  There's all kinds of affordable FA's from last summer who are catching passes all over the league this year.   Why didn't we target one of them last summer?  (Oh yeah, Grigson). I'd start now by finding the best WR coach who wants more money and target him for a big pay raise to join us this summer.  It's either the talent, the coaching or both.  We won't know until something gets fixed and I don't trust Grigson to hit the side of a barn with a rock.  

It is not only Dorsett  that hasn't developed.  If you think about it, our UDFAs year after year with this regime flop after seeming to have some talent (think of all those guys who seem to come here with talent, look solid in preseason when they only have their raw talent to draw off of, but underperform.  (look at the guys who left us as useless, actually add quality depth to other teams... Avery at KC was good for a couple seasons, and amazingly Pittsburgh has gotten production out of Heyward-Bey.  We sure couldn't.  

I think we may learn that Reggie and before him Marvin combined with Peyton, may have been more impactful in teaching the tree of receivers we've had than the coaching.  And either Hilton isn't passing it on, or the current coaches aren't either.  Moncrief, at least, seems to have potential, but throwing the QB under the bus suggests he's not on the team bus but outside of it launching attacks.  And imagine giving that answer at any number of well run organizations.  It wouldn't happen a second time and likely not a first. 

The team is just awful all around.  It's really been exposed this season because Luck simply can no longer overcome the lack of talent. 'Next year is going to be worse as we'll have to play the AFC North and NFC West and they're going to pummel us.  It seems unlikely we can reach .500 this year, so I would expect many heads to roll.  But that won't help the new regime when they find they have an aging (and more and more injury prone) DB and a beat up Tiny Receiver playing way over his head (and now obviously playing hurt) and a beaten down Luck.  It might end up Philip Rivers all over again.  

35 minutes ago, Valpo2004 said:

They are really trying to spin this against the receivers.  Hilton for the most part it sounded like he just didn't want to talk.  

That said I think a big part of Luck's problem is that he doesn't push his teammates.  He'll push himself hard, but when people are failing around him he doesn't let them know about it.  Instead he just goes into the media room and takes all the blame.  His fault we lead the league in sacks, his fault we lead the league in drops.  The man blamed himself for Reggie Wayne tearing his ACL a couple years ago.    Etc Etc

I DNK that Peyton really hung teammates out to dry in front of the media but it didn't seem like he took more blame then what was due to him.  He'd take responsibility for his interceptions so he wasn't passing it off at all.  But he didn't go out there and take the blame for crap that isn't his fault. 

I honestly don't think Luck pushes his teammates.  He'll give some rah rah speeches, but he doesn't get in someone's face when they are repeatedly blowing it.  I honestly don't think it's in his character.  

Luck should have taken the blame for the interception and a few poorly thrown balls.  But his receivers didn't do him any big favors either.  

He doesn't push his teammates?   And you know this how?  Because he doesn't make a show of it on the field?   The stuff people come up with when teams arent doing well is amazing.

53 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Well, Hilton has put up enough to get a pass from me this week.  He's obviously hurt, and was possibly (and dumbly) told to play hurt as a decoy (none of us know that as far as I am aware, it's only a theory) or he tried to go and Luck just couldn't get it to him.  But at least he didn't throw Luck under the bus, more himself and by extension, the coaching staff.  And they deserve it. 

We had a much better game plan in other games.  This week simply looked disjointed and they didn't do the things that have previously worked.  I am sure KC game planned against that stuff., but for example, Gore really wasn't utilized much at all rather than him being stopped.  Doyle was barely used.  Moncrief showed deep availability but Luck had no time to get it to him usually.  (and Good, the heinous gift that keeps on giving, held and called back a beautiful TD throw that would have given us at least the chance to onside kick for a possible win). The other receivers couldn't make a catch which put all the pressure on Luck to work with next to nothing.  Hilton looked hurt.  We just don't know what his purpose or reason was for being out there.  

Here's the thing about Hilton that really infuriates me.

We just gave you a huge contract.  Part of the responsibility that goes with that kind of contract is to lead by example.  Trying to sneak out of the locker room to avoid answering media questions and then responding with "I wasn't paying attention" frankly doesn't cut it.

Look what Luck is doing.  He's out telling anyone who will listen everything from the terrible offensive line to the abysmal defense is his fault.  He's taking ownership of the issue and shielding his guys from criticism.  (or at least trying to)

Meanwhile, TY is trying to sneak out of the locker room to avoid having himself be held accountable.

16 minutes ago, Jaric said:

Here's the thing about Hilton that really infuriates me.

We just gave you a huge contract.  Part of the responsibility that goes with that kind of contract is to lead by example.  Trying to sneak out of the locker room to avoid answering media questions and then responding with "I wasn't paying attention" frankly doesn't cut it.

Look what Luck is doing.  He's out telling anyone who will listen everything from the terrible offensive line to the abysmal defense is his fault.  He's taking ownership of the issue and shielding his guys from criticism.  (or at least trying to)

Meanwhile, TY is trying to sneak out of the locker room to avoid having himself be held accountable.

Look, you're right, but we really don't know just how bad things are behind the scenes... it could be REALLY ugly, and I think TY had a bad moment where he let frustration get the best of him, but even in that bad moment, he didn't throw anyone else under the bus and really drew more fire to himself than Luck did with the unfortunate comment.  I can't recall previous similar comments, so fairly or unfairly, in my view, he gets a get out of jail free card this week.   Imagine if they ordered him out there as a decoy all game, even when he was open, thinking they'd avoid getting him hurt worse.  We just don't know how dumb things really are behind the scenes and to me that was a shot at the coaches entirely that slipped out in a passive aggressive moment.  I am sure he and his coaches haven't heard the last from that comment.  Hilton has been Lucks only real life preserver to win as much as we have.  Playing hurt (which I believe) must make that beyond frustrating.  

1 minute ago, JPFolks said:

Look, you're right, but we really don't know just how bad things are behind the scenes... it could be REALLY ugly, and I think TY had a bad moment where he let frustration get the best of him, but even in that bad moment, he didn't throw anyone else under the bus and really drew more fire to himself than Luck did with the unfortunate comment.  I can't recall previous similar comments, so fairly or unfairly, in my view, he gets a get out of jail free card this week.   Imagine if they ordered him out there as a decoy all game, even when he was open, thinking they'd avoid getting him hurt worse.  We just don't know how dumb things really are behind the scenes and to me that was a shot at the coaches entirely that slipped out in a passive aggressive moment.  I am sure he and his coaches haven't heard the last from that comment.  Hilton has been Lucks only real life preserver to win as much as we have.  Playing hurt (which I believe) must make that beyond frustrating.  

Thats all fair and I have no doubt that things are bad behind the scenes.  How could they not be?  The team sucks and everyone looks checked out.

Heres the thing though.  Hilton is one of the few guys in the locker room that can actually do something about it.  ProBowl veteren.  Big contract.  One of the best players on the team.

Thats what frustrates me.  When guys in a position to change things don't seem to care.

1 minute ago, Jaric said:

Thats all fair and I have no doubt that things are bad behind the scenes.  How could they not be?  The team sucks and everyone looks checked out.

Heres the thing though.  Hilton is one of the few guys in the locker room that can actually do something about it.  ProBowl veteren.  Big contract.  One of the best players on the team.

Thats what frustrates me.  When guys in a position to change things don't seem to care.

Yeah, I know.  He's done his work on the field though but it seems this game either he didn't get the chance due to circumstances related to play, or it was planned non usage.  I think providing leadership on the field is primary... being a PR spokesperson really is the Coach and QB's job.   We don't need Luck-like speeches from him, but we also don't need him to let his frustration show so obviously.  Marvin rarely spoke... TY could learn from that, especially when things are this bad.  It sounds like he tried to fade away, but they captured him.  TY isn't an eloquent speaker to start with, so he was distraught, cornered and made a bad comment.  If it is a one time thing, I think he let honest emotion too close to the surface.  I certainly don't need or want him to apologize.   On the other hand, Moncrief and useless Dorsett need to shut their pie holes.  

The problem here, as I see it, is that the WR corp doesn't have a seasoned veteran on the team to hold them accountable, and also teach them how to act in these situations.  Veteran leadership is underappreciated, in my opinion.  I don't see this happening with Reggie-type walking the sidelines.

13 hours ago, zibby43 said:

Agreed.

I concur.  But it just really, really irritated me to see those guys pointing fingers.  As far as Hilton is concerned, he may have been hurt today, but so far this year, he either shows up big or doesn't show up at all.  And for what he is being paid, that is unacceptable.  He doesn't have Brock Osweiller as his QB.  He has Andrew Luck.

Sick of seeing guys like Moncrief and Walden (admittedly two of the team's better players) celebrating/dancing when the team is being taken to the woodshed.  Moncrief quit on two routes Sunday (at least two, from what I saw).  Check that, three routes including the INT where he made little to no effort to fight for the ball.  I get that the dude is coming back from an injury but this is the NFL.  Need more effort from Donte.

And I don't even want to get started on Dorsett.  I cannot wait to watch the tape of him running "open" on the majority of his patterns. 

I thought Moncrief didn`t sell his route on the Int.
 Or in other words, he ran a lazy route and didn`t Create the separation a well run route gives you.
  Dorsett just floats around also. Not the stuff that gets you to the Hall of Fame, but to the Hall of Lame.

In order for these guys to throw someone under the bus they would have had to put forth the effort to get off of the bus. Dorsett has zero room to talk as he will go down as a Grigson bust. Luck was terrible but under the circumstances and the team around him he will get a pass more often than not. T.Ys expectations are higher because of the contract and capability it would seem. Moncrief is not great but good. Too many disappointents all over this team. Grigson has set this team back for at least three more years so let's just sit back and take the lumps colts nation.

6 hours ago, Corndog said:

Also if Hilton is injured, why is he playing?  If the Colts are completely out of it at the end of the season, I really hope they just bench key players and beat up ones, give the back up brigade a shot to make sure next year everyone is healthy. 

Ohh man, TY is a warrior and just has that toughness and grit that you never find around the league.  He can go injured like a Coyote that gnawed it's leg partially off after being trapped man.  Even though he doesn't pay attention, he just keeps on chopping wood with whatever tool he has at his disposal.  In the end though, gotta respect KC, we took a step backwards and we will watch the tape and get it corrected.  The NFL is a dog fight and a hard league to win in.

13 hours ago, 12to13 said:

Every week I get more disappointed with the dorsett pick. He is freaking invisible on the field. Good god.

Not his fault. He should have never been a first round pick. This coming from a Canes fan. Other than his speed, nothing about him jumps off the charts. Late 3 or 4th round at best

8 hours ago, Malakai432 said:

Ohh man, TY is a warrior and just has that toughness and grit that you never find around the league.  He can go injured like a Coyote that gnawed it's leg partially off after being trapped man.  Even though he doesn't pay attention, he just keeps on chopping wood with whatever tool he has at his disposal.  In the end though, gotta respect KC, we took a step backwards and we will watch the tape and get it corrected.  The NFL is a dog fight and a hard league to win in.

I see what you did there...heh....

I never really liked Moncrief, he's decent but I feel he's overhyped.  And then this game happened, and I find myself disliking him even more.

Someone of his measurables should be much better.  And dancing in the endzone when you're getting destroyed by two TDs?  Reminds me of Sean Dawkins when the Colts were terrible and he was always dancing around while losing.  The holding call to bring it back made it look even more ridiculous.

And Dorsett has been a huge disappointment for a "best player available" pick.  If he was a 5th rounder maybe I'd be okay, but as a 1st rounder, total bust so far.

If our WRs cant grow up and make plays, they shouldn't be on the roster.

At least Hilton is doing alright (mostly) except for some silly plays where he runs out of bounds to avoid a hit one yard before a 1st down on 3rd down.

21 hours ago, Jaric said:

His buddy Chuck doesn't have the backbone to make that call. He'll just clap for him as Hilton runs off of the field, and show him how to chop that wood in a more professional manner.