Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Our WRs threw Luck under the bus after the game. They're quitters.

zibby43

Below are a few quotes from after the game.

Reading these quotes made one thing clear: Pagano has lost the team completely.  I really think that the vast majority of this team simply no longer cares.  The OL quit today, and so did the WR corps.  Luck did not have a good game and he will be the first to admit it.  However, the WRs performed with absolutely ZERO heart/effort today.

T.Y. Hilton on what the Chiefs did to shut him down:

“I don’t know.  I wasn’t paying attention.”

T.Y. on his lack of production in the game:

“I was hurt."

T.Y. on his inconsistent production this year:

“I was hurt."

Donte Moncrief on why he sucked on Sunday (blaming Luck's "bad balls"):

"Some plays we've got to make, even if they're bad balls.”

Phillip "I'm a Huge Bust" Dorsett on the WRs' performance today:

“We (receivers) were getting open.”

I guess I must have not been paying attention today, either.  Why follow this team anymore when the players don't even care?  That's what I'm asking myself right now.  Sickening.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't read anything into what Ty said but I would like to see the context for what the other two said. A lot goes into a WR getting the ball. It is not just about the QB. There could be a DL in the passing lane, pressure flushing the QB to one side of the field etc etc. Yeah, Luck played poorly but WR's should be supporting the QB that has carried the team so far this year. 

10 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Indeed, sauce or it's hearsay.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/columnists/gregg-doyel/2016/10/30/doyel-which-problem-area-address-ll-take-receivers/92896256/

"After the game, as Hilton tried to leave the locker room without talking to the media, I stopped him outside the door and asked him what the Chiefs defense had done to make his day so difficult.

“I don’t know,” Hilton said. “I wasn’t paying attention.”

Lovely. The media converged, and someone asked him about his lack of production:

“I was hurt,” he said.

Someone else asked him about his inconsistency this season.

“I was hurt,” he repeated.

The only time Hilton showed any interest in answering a question was when someone asked how he got hurt. He gave three or four sentences, but you won’t read them here.

I wasn’t paying attention.

Here’s the thing: Hilton wasn’t the only problem with the Colts receiving corps on Sunday. And this is new territory for us to tread, because it goes away from the grain that says the problem is the offensive line, or Luck for his bonehead plays, or the coaching staff for its bonehead calls. And those are all valid points, in this game and in others.

But the receivers have rarely helped matters this season. And on Sunday they made things worse.

T.Y. Hilton caught one more pass than Conrad Hilton, but at least he caught one. Devin Street caught no passes, and dropped two.

Phillip Dorsett caught all five passes thrown his way, but he gained a measly 33 yards. Fastest player on the team. Nothing but short passes. Brilliant coaching there. The one time Dorsett ran way down the field, on the Hail Mary that fell incomplete near the end zone on the Colts' final play, he ended up face down on the turf, grabbing his hamstring, needing medical attention. Afterward Chuck Pagano didn’t include Dorsett in his postgame injury report, and Dorsett told me he’s fine.

Moncrief did score one touchdown, and he did catch another TD with 1:51 left and nobody in the crowd watching and a holding penalty on Denzelle Good to nullify it. But he was bad, too. Nine targets, four catches, 41 yards. Second play of the game, on a crossing route, Moncrief heard footsteps and stopped running.

Luck’s pass was catchable, but somebody could get hurt trying to catch that. No thank you, Moncrief said.

Luck’s interception was thrown Moncrief’s way, but Chiefs cornerback Phillip Gaines fought for the ball and Moncrief didn’t. Not a great pass by Luck. Not great effort from Moncrief. Teamwork, that turnover.

The Colts’ difficulty all day in the passing game was a team effort – not enough time, not enough accuracy, not enough “catching” – but in the locker room afterward, it sounded sort of like Luck’s fault.

“I let the team down,” Luck said.

His receivers rushed to his aid. Kidding! Dorsett decided that “we (receivers) were getting open” and Moncrief valiantly suggested there were “some plays we've got to make, even if they're bad balls.”

Don’t ask Hilton what went wrong. He wasn’t paying attention.

Some day that could be you, Colts fans. Some day soon. At 3-5 and without the talent or coaching to turn it around, the Colts are tempting you to turn away."

4 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

I get the sentiment Doyel is trying to convey but still they could have said other things either side of those quotes. I am not really sure these two are credible enough to speak about Luck considering they contributed very little this season so far while Luck, Hilton and Gore are all grinding away. Luck is probably a walking bruise this morning. 

5 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Doyel really wants to spin this bad for the receivers. Hilton reads like a guy who's * and doesn't want to talk about it right now, understandable really. I can see the low effort spin for Moncrief and Dorsett, but one sentence cuts are pretty easy to spin, which if I recall, Doyel has been known to do. Either way it's not a good look for those two.

12 minutes ago, 19colt said:

I get the sentiment Doyel is trying to convey but still they could have said other things either side of those quotes. I am not really sure these two are credible enough to speak about Luck considering they contributed very little this season so far while Luck, Hilton and Gore are all grinding away. Luck is probably a walking bruise this morning. 

Agreed.

10 minutes ago, SkyBane said:

Doyel really wants to spin this bad for the receivers. Hilton reads like a guy who's * and doesn't want to talk about it right now, understandable really. I can see the low effort spin for Moncrief and Dorsett, but one sentence cuts are pretty easy to spin, which if I recall, Doyel has been known to do. Either way it's not a good look for those two.

I concur.  But it just really, really irritated me to see those guys pointing fingers.  As far as Hilton is concerned, he may have been hurt today, but so far this year, he either shows up big or doesn't show up at all.  And for what he is being paid, that is unacceptable.  He doesn't have Brock Osweiller as his QB.  He has Andrew Luck.

Sick of seeing guys like Moncrief and Walden (admittedly two of the team's better players) celebrating/dancing when the team is being taken to the woodshed.  Moncrief quit on two routes Sunday (at least two, from what I saw).  Check that, three routes including the INT where he made little to no effort to fight for the ball.  I get that the dude is coming back from an injury but this is the NFL.  Need more effort from Donte.

And I don't even want to get started on Dorsett.  I cannot wait to watch the tape of him running "open" on the majority of his patterns. 

11 minutes ago, zibby43 said:

Agreed.

I concur.  But it just really, really irritated me to see those guys pointing fingers.  As far as Hilton is concerned, he may have been hurt today, but so far this year, he either shows up big or doesn't show up at all.  And for what he is being paid, that is unacceptable.  He doesn't have Brock Osweiller as his QB.  He has Andrew Luck.

Sick of seeing guys like Moncrief and Walden (admittedly two of the team's better players) celebrating/dancing when the team is being taken to the woodshed.  Moncrief quit on two routes Sunday (at least two, from what I saw).  Check that, three routes including the INT where he made little to no effort to fight for the ball.  I get that the dude is coming back from an injury but this is the NFL.  Need more effort from Donte.

And I don't even want to get started on Dorsett.  I cannot wait to watch the tape of him running "open" on the majority of his patterns. 

Hilton to this point this season was having a career year and was top 5 in the league in basically every tracked receiving category, which included games of 150+ yards. An off game due to a blown hammy and frustrations afterwards are to be expected. The other receivers failing to collectively fill in his loss is the much larger issue there. 

While Doyel wants to push a spicy take, I think the truth is much more mundane, but much more worrying. The locker room is reaching a boiling point with it's frustration in being unable to succeed, and the unity is cracking. Rather than rely on each other, they are falling back in to their individual coping mechanisms for dealing with frustration, which is also the first signs of the coach having lost the locker room.

"We were getting open."

That might be true, and saying it doesn't necessarily throw Luck under the bus.  He could be throwing the O-line under the bus.  Receivers were getting open, but Luck didn't have time.  Often, that's probably true. 

2 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

How in the hell have Hilton been inconsitant this year??? He's having one of his best seasons so far.

It's a narrative that's been pushed about his entire career by famed Indiana broadcast troll Dan Dakich. Much like the fact Luck is over rated and the defense isn't that bad. He's a man of many hot taeks.

8 minutes ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

How in the hell have Hilton been inconsitant this year??? He's having one of his best seasons so far.

Look at each game he explodes every other game so look for him to go off against the packers but we still lose lol

2 hours ago, SkyBane said:

Hilton to this point this season was having a career year and was top 5 in the league in basically every tracked receiving category, which included games of 150+ yards. An off game due to a blown hammy and frustrations afterwards are to be expected. The other receivers failing to collectively fill in his loss is the much larger issue there. 

While Doyel wants to push a spicy take, I think the truth is much more mundane, but much more worrying. The locker room is reaching a boiling point with it's frustration in being unable to succeed, and the unity is cracking. Rather than rely on each other, they are falling back in to their individual coping mechanisms for dealing with frustration, which is also the first signs of the coach having lost the locker room.

I couldn't agree with you more.  To me,  this is Pagano losing the locker room.  I don't think they are throwing luck under the bus so much as Pagano.  I know Irsay has never fired a coach mid season,  but he may have to. Pagano may lose complete control of the locker room if the team gets blown out next week at Green Bay.  And I think they will.  

6 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

Every week I get more disappointed with the dorsett pick. He is freaking invisible on the field. Good god.

I don't know what's going on with him. He doesn't look fast, I never really see him get separation, and most of the time I forget he's out there. Maybe he doesn't know the routes? He looks like an average fourth round or below pick. Disappointing.

2 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

Andrew Luck is a sucka. I don't know any other way to put it.  He just doesn't have the fire of Manning/Brady/Rodgers/Ben.  He's basically Eli Manning.  We must accept this.  I get so tired of his "I let the team down"  crap.  

Man get a grip you will not win a game if you put every game on Lucks back. you have the leagues worst defense. the O-line has not worked together very long and still I have not figured out why this coaches think they need to throw it 50 to 60 times a game. when you can run throw some slants, This team just comes in for a paycheck and that is it

48 minutes ago, corgi said:

Maybe Moncrief could, I don't know actually try. Dorsett looks to be as fast and elusive as a Scooter with two flat tires. Maybe they should follow Hilton's lead and avoid the media. 

They need to grow up and be professional.  Throw out some cliches and call it a day.

20 minutes ago, corgi said:

I don't know what's going on with him. He doesn't look fast, I never really see him get separation, and most of the time I forget he's out there. Maybe he doesn't know the routes? He looks like an average fourth round or below pick. Disappointing.

Yup..  Chester rogers has more production than him. Just wish we would have drafted a Defensive player.

Just now, 12to13 said:

I agree it is coaching. I don't think firing anyone mid season will help though. Just gotta let it play out this season unfortunately.

I think that's what makes me most angry about it. We lost the chance at a serviceable starting defensive player.

24 minutes ago, Archangel said:

Man get a grip you will not win a game if you put every game on Lucks back. you have the leagues worst defense. the O-line has not worked together very long and still I have not figured out why this coaches think they need to throw it 50 to 60 times a game. when you can run throw some slants, This team just comes in for a paycheck and that is it

Dude,  I don't blame him for the gm.  I'm talking about his mentality. He's too nice. Brady would curse out every wr that's complaining.  

I'd trade Moncreif and Dorsett.  I prefer Chester over Dorsett.  Chester seems to get open. 

8 minutes ago, YourNextGM said:

Dude,  I don't blame him for the gm.  I'm talking about his mentality. He's too nice. Brady would curse out every wr that's complaining.  

I'd trade Moncreif and Dorsett.  I prefer Chester over Dorsett.  Chester seems to get open. 

My opologies

Only thing I want luck to do more often is stop taking 100% of the blame  even in games we win he's shouldering the blame for the defense  I want him to hold his line accountable or to let his recievers know to catch the ball or you won't get passed to.. As great as gronk is when he drops a pass from Brady Brady lets him know that it's unacceptable and to make that catch 

35 minutes ago, 12to13 said:

I agree it is coaching. I don't think firing anyone mid season will help though. Just gotta let it play out this season unfortunately.

right, i agree. I said it in another post that theres no point in doing so now, not unless you're gonna turn the reins for next yr and beyond to phibin or chud, niether of which really I'd like as a hc

There is plenty of blame to go around for everybody for this debacle and the 4 others that have given us the record we have.  While Moncrief could've and should've gave a little more effort on the INT, Luck should've thrown the ball to a better spot.  When you're running an out pattern towards the sideline to get a catch and run out of bounds to stop the clock you don't throw the ball back to the inside shoulder of the receiver making it an easy play for the DB you throw it to the outside shoulder where only your WR can make the play or it goes incomplete.  I love Luck, wouldn't trade him for any other QB in the league right now, but he had a poor game.  The day he learns to consistently lead a receiver with the ball so they can get yards after the catch instead of jumping for a ball or trying to turn around to catch one thrown behind him etc then he'll take that next step towards being an elite QB.  The whole team stunk yesterday, guess none of them were paying attention.  I know I was until about 5 mins left of the 4th quarter when I got up out of my seat to leave LOS and make the long trek back to the car for a long ride home after watching yet another crappy Colts performance.

3 hours ago, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Probably because in half the games this season he has been below 50 yards receiving.  He has really feasted on the poorer defenses like the Bears, Jags, and Chargers to beef up the stats, but then really struggled against stronger defenses like the Broncos and Texans.  He has played great in four of the games and tore them apart, but the other four he has been non-existant.  He has been really up and down this season, which leads to people saying he is playing inconsistent.  

Hearing Dorsett come out and say we are getting open is the one that rubs me the wrong way as it just comes off as passing the buck.  It comes off like hey we are getting open it is Luck and the OL who is not getting us the ball.  

I am sure a lot of it was out of frustration, but whatever is going offensively they better figure it out because that offense has to score 30+ every game if we have any hope of winning a game the rest of this season.

I agree, context is everything and after an embarrassing loss like this I dont blame any player from being ticked off or upset. They played like crap in all three phases of the game and wasted $136 to watch this "home" game. I love this team but that looked like a JV vs varsity game and the maturity and focus matched the poor effort as well