Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck makes the worst decisions in the league

YourNextGM

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 minutes ago, dw49 said:

Exactly my thoughts. 99 out of 100 times that spot would be reviewed . I no longer wonder why Ferguson went undrafted. I never in my life ( 56 years of watching football) have seen a RB go down as easily as he does. 

I still like the pickup of Ferguson. But he is a work in progress.  He might be good with the right coaching and a little time. I'm not sure why he gets more looks then todman or turbin. 

54 minutes ago, TheEdgeis1 said:

You know the OP isn't to far off point.  He has been in the league for a while now and needs to be a leader and elevate your team.  Oh ya and be able to read defences which i think he has trouble doing

This what I'm say,  and people are continuing to give him a pass. I remember Ray Lewis saying Luck is not good enough to beat defenses from the pocket consistently yet.  Thats why he needs to use his athleticism more.  He could have got that 1st down.  On 4th down,  when you're that close to extend the gm,  u extend the game.  He was late to see Allen,  and was late to deliver the ball.  Its like he thinks too much

1 hour ago, NorthernBlue said:

Not disagreeing with you. But I'm just saying. All off season people (especially our owner) are talking about how Luck needs to "play smarter". Not to put his body in a position where he'll get hurt. On that 4th down play, if he runs, he'd probably get the 1st, but also get hit pretty hard. He avoids taking a hit and elects to throw, and it might have just cost the Colts the game.

Agree. Pretty sure it was a similar play last year against Denver which ended his season. Got the first down and the win in that game, then was done for the season.

3 hours ago, jvan1973 said:

The play call was terrible.   Why in the hell was gore on the sideline?   

I agree.  I couldn't  believe the decision was made to throw in that situation, especially given all the drops today.  smh.  So disheartening.  

2 hours ago, indy1888 said:

Agree. Pretty sure it was a similar play last year against Denver which ended his season. Got the first down and the win in that game, then was done for the season.

This x 100.

If Luck gets hurt running for the first down, then he'll be called an * for not learning to protect himself. If he throws the ball on a pass play, it's his fault for not running for the first down. Basically, if Luck doesn't pull out a win, despite the defense giving up 30 to the Jags, a putrid O-line (looking at you Castonzo) with three rookies starting, numerous dropped passes, poor coaching....then Luck is a bum and he's the one to blame.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:12 PM, oldunclemark said:

And rick...we're all said Andrew shouldn't run so much

In that split second..he threw instead of run..

..2 years ago..he doesn't even think about it

I agree. 

He has the first down there. I cannot blame him for throwing the ball either.  

Just bad luck.  

Plus Allen SHOULD catch that.

At what point do you put some blame on the OC?  People have praised chud but on 4th-and-1 with the game literally on the line, you would think you would want to call your best play, no?  That didn't look like their best play call to me, especially when you know you have so many rookies on the OL and your QB is getting hit like a tackling dummy.

I mean he threw a perfectly catchable pass to Allen, and he dropped it. If Allen does his job a grand total of zero of you are questioning the decision. If Lick runs for it and tears an ACL then you guys scream that he should've thrown it to Allen or another receiver. If they hand it off to Gore and he doesn't get it then "He should've audibled or faked he handoff." 

16 minutes ago, LockeDown said:

Why is Luck not audibling?  That was one of his biggest assets...his brain.  Is it because Chud is upstairs with a better vantage point?

Luck isn't audibling, changing protections or any of that. He more than capable of it, but it seems the coaching staff has chained him down.

On October 2, 2016 at 0:54 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Not disagreeing with you. But I'm just saying. All off season people (especially our owner) are talking about how Luck needs to "play smarter". Not to put his body in a position where he'll get hurt. On that 4th down play, if he runs, he'd probably get the 1st, but also get hit pretty hard. He avoids taking a hit and elects to throw, and it might have just cost the Colts the game.

We can thank Irsay's big mouth for that one.  Lol. 

Luck is now in his 5th year and is the highest paid QB in the league.  He is making too many bad decisions and turnovers for a QB of his experience and supposed caliber. 

On 10/2/2016 at 10:46 AM, YourNextGM said:

The coaching staff doesn't help,  but you pay this guy to elevate the staff.  4th and 1 and u throw that ball instead of just running for the 1st.  This guy's intellect as far as football is vastly overrated.  

What NorthernBlue says below:

On 10/2/2016 at 10:54 AM, NorthernBlue said:

To be honest, I think that would have been pretty close.  I am not sure Luck saw the big guy directly to his right -- chances are, he would have made the first if he kept going, but I think he definitely would have gotten whalloped.

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 1:05 PM, NorthernBlue said:

Look I like Allen. I appreciate what he brings to this football team. But he is the last guy I want trying to make a clutch play on fourth down in the fourth quarter of an important divisional game. 

And it's 4th and 1. How are you NOT gonna have Gore on the field? Even if you don't run it with him, having him out there at least gives the Defense something else to worry about. With him off, J'Ville pretty much knew we were gonna throw the ball.

This.... putting the ball in his gut, sets the LB'ers and gives play action a chance to create a throwing lane. I'm inclined to think Frank was a shocked as I was that his number wasn't called in that situation.

On 10/2/2016 at 1:11 PM, Dustin said:

Dude TY had that first down. Unless I missed something crazy. 

I thought so too, but I have game pass.  On second review, TY had ball in left arm  His momentum was toward the sideline and he went over the out of bounds line before the ball crossed the first down plane.  :-(

TY_Out_zpslilbcmap.jpg

He's well into the white area as the ball reaches the yellow line. It is easier to see in real time slo-mo.  In retrospect, I wish TY would have either transferred the ball to his right arm or went more for the 1st down instead on the sideline.  We had time and T.O.'s to burn still.

TY_Out2_zpstle6ygdb.jpg

Then the ill fated pass that looked 'good' if only for a second-

failed_fourth2_zpsltuaa93v.jpg

1 hour ago, corgi said:

I mean he threw a perfectly catchable pass to Allen, and he dropped it. If Allen does his job a grand total of zero of you are questioning the decision. If Lick runs for it and tears an ACL then you guys scream that he should've thrown it to Allen or another receiver. If they hand it off to Gore and he doesn't get it then "He should've audibled or faked he handoff." 

Was perfectly catchable without anyone around that is)... but...  the defender made up lots of ground to rip Allen's left arm as the ball arrived.  Windows close fast in the NFL.

almost_zpshd3rrtbd.jpg

On ‎10‎/‎2‎/‎2016 at 2:22 PM, Johnny colt said:

You put Gore in and the defense builds a wall that would make Trump jealous.If luck or gore ran that ball and lost 2 yards I bet a lot of you would cry out"stupid play call,should have done a quick drop off to Allen or someone."

You are right Johnny. It would make no difference what the Colts do or don't do someone will find something wrong with it. We all know the PC coaches and GMs are far more educated in football matters than anyone else.

If it so easy I wonder why none of them have jobs in the NFL?

On 10/2/2016 at 10:46 AM, YourNextGM said:

The coaching staff doesn't help,  but you pay this guy to elevate the staff.  4th and 1 and u throw that ball instead of just running for the 1st.  This guy's intellect as far as football is vastly overrated.  

They told him to stop trying to make plays like that & protect himself more, he's just doing what coaches & ownership want. And he definitely would've taken a hit on that play, but I agree in principle, gotta have that 1st down by any means necessary.

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

They told him to stop trying to make plays like that & protect himself more, he's just doing what coaches & ownership want. And he definitely would've taken a hit on that play, but I agree in principle, gotta have that 1st down by any means necessary.

I agree to a certain point. Had Luck taken a big hit then it would have been "what does he think he is doing"? Or "is the coaching staff trying to get him killed"?

It's a no win situation right now no matter what happens.

Fandom makes some totally insane with their never ending negativity.

1 hour ago, corgi said:

Bingo. Corgi is right. 1 drop or incomplete pass in the 4th Qtr. basically ended that game & allowed the Jags to escape with a victory. Am I blaming Allen? Maybe a little, but stuff like this decides game outcomes all the time. If Dwayne catches that pass, the drive is still alive, & we march it down for either a tie FG or a TD. 

Over reaction Monday once again. Honestly, INDY was in a position to at least get to overtime on Adam V's foot at a bare minimum. Yes, we lost, but some fans on here are acting like the Jags beat us by 30 points. LOL! Take a deep breath people & come back to me when you have a real problem thank you. Jesus. 

Just to reiterate, I am agreeing with Corgi's overall theme here that fans have a tendency to amplify the ridiculous in all loses no matter how close the margin of victory actually was for the Colts. 

I was mildly upset with Allen after the drop sure, but I still like him as a key TE for us & I'm not gonna condemn the guy. He'll learn from this & get better. Besides, I can't act like I'd automatically catch the same pass either in his shoes myself. The NFL is a game of inches & drops week after week. 

You know what the funny thing is? If INDY had tied the game up, gone into overtime, & then won by a touchdown. Several fans would be moaning & groaning that it took until the 4th QTR to put the nail in the Jags coffin. 

And for everybody that claims that Gore would have gotten us a new set of downs, Frank is not a machine & there's guarantee he would have. Just like that decision to make RW throw the ball vs the Pats in the SB, if it works you're a genius; if not, people question if you know football at all. You're darned no matter what you do as a HC or coordinator. 

Look, am I happy that INDY continues to struggle early in the fist half on offense for what feels like every game this yr.? No. Would I like Luck to have a lead for once as opposed to operating from a hole? Yes. I like what Chud & Joe are doing & I'm willing to give them more time to work out the kinks even if that results in a lackluster season with no division win or wildcard berth because usually through failure or adversity teams get better. Why? Because everybody else has left us for dead & the following yr is when chemistry clicks & a team ignites into something special. 

Adversity forces you to re-evalaute everything, kick over every stone, & trust the guy next to you. Cleaning house is a mistake right now. Just stay the course & shut out the rest of the world--the doubters I mean. When things look bleak, that's when you find out what the hades you're made of. I'm not going anywhere regardless of what our season record turns out to be by Christmas. 

Tom Coughlin's head was on the chopping block every yr in the Big Apple & what did ownership do? Retain him & win 2 SBs against NE. Is Pagano Coughlin? No, but very few of us are in real life. Just be patient & good things might unfold for INDY. 

To me, Luck is a pretty smart guy.  Probably more book smart than football smart.

The issue I have is this.  He came out of college and was touted by many as the second Manning when it came to football smarts.  And so far, I have seen nothing of the sort.  He still makes many of the same mistakes he did as a rookie.  He still locks in on guys.  He fails to audible.  He fails to recognize certain coverages.  Don't get me wrong, he is a good guy and a smart guy, but he is not a football savant as many said he was coming out of Stanford.  And he certainly is not worthy of being the highest paid player in football.

The play yesterday where he passed instead of getting one more yard?  Total bone head move and I don't care what anyone says.  All he had to do was dive and it was first down.

12 minutes ago, threeflight said:

To me, Luck is a pretty smart guy.  Probably more book smart than football smart.

The issue I have is this.  He came out of college and was touted by many as the second Manning when it came to football smarts.  And so far, I have seen nothing of the sort.  He still makes many of the same mistakes he did as a rookie.  He still locks in on guys.  He fails to audible.  He fails to recognize certain coverages.  Don't get me wrong, he is a good guy and a smart guy, but he is not a football savant as many said he was coming out of Stanford.  And he certainly is not worthy of being the highest paid player in football.

The play yesterday where he passed instead of getting one more yard?  Total bone head move and I don't care what anyone says.  All he had to do was dive and it was first down.

It's not all on Luck's shoulders though. Part of it is that Allen has to show Luck that he can be trusted to catch the ball when Chewy hits him in the hands. Dwayne's gotta secure that ball when the placement is good. Were some of Andrew's throws high? Sure they were. The reason why he targets TY, Doyle, & Moncrief so much when healthy is that they have a good track record of moving the chains, they're reliable, & the throw doesn't have to be ideal. 

I have trouble bringing up the Manning successor label & claiming he doesn't dissect secondaries as well as Peyton did. Luck knows he still has room for improvement & he had no control over what team would draft him. 

The reason Luck locks on guys is that it's 3rd & long & he has to make a play to guy he trusts to come down with it. Where you played college ball has no bearing on NFL IQ at the next level or a QBs success rate. Again, Andrew has no control over what the market sets his asking price as once his rookie deal is about to expire. 

1 hour ago, ColtsBlueFL said:

Then the ill fated pass that looked 'good' if only for a second-

Luck could have run for it, with ease, but Allen was open, so the pass is understandable.  What's not being mentioned is that the throw was off the mark. The ball should have been thrown more to Allen's right, away from the defender.  Luck does not yet compare to Manning in the accuracy department in putting balls where they are most easily caught by the receiver.   It's kind of becoming quite frustrating. 

On the OC and HC for not running the best offense (hurry-up) for the 1st three quarters of every game, though to be fair, five first quarter drops stalled the offense.  Also frustrating is that it seems so obvious to so many that the offense needs to become a lot more urgent.  Even a credible Reggie Wayne agrees!

What is bugging me is that great coaches adjust and adapt, but the Colts game-planning is not adapting and adjusting in a timely manner.   I mean, breaking news, a grinding running game and stud defense the Colts do not have!  Time to open up the offense with a sense of 4th quarter urgency, from the first whistle ... to build up the lead and put your defense in a position of playing with the lead.  I say just gotta do this until the defense and OL mature and come together, otherwise, it will be a loooooong season.

4 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Time to open up the offense with a sense of 4th quarter urgency, from the first whistle ... to build up the lead and put your defense in a position of playing with the lead.  I say just gotta do this until the defense and OL mature and come together, otherwise, it will be a loooooong season.

Yeah, I can't dispute anything you said above rock-woj . Well said. 

7 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

What's not being mentioned is that the throw was off the mark. The ball should have been thrown more to Allen's right, away from the defender.  Luck does not yet compare to Manning in the accuracy department in putting balls where they are most easily caught by the receiver.   It's kind of becoming quite frustrating. 

Your less than perfect ball placement argument to Allen is a tad bit over the top since with Dwayne's frame & wingspan #83 has no excuse for dropping the ball IMO. Yeah, I know. I'm being picky. LOL! 

59 minutes ago, threeflight said:

Respectfully, I would like to address some of the points that you have raised:

1. "He came out of college and was touted by many as the second Manning when it came to football smarts." Which version of "Manning" are you comparing Andrew Luck to? Are you talking about the seasoned veteran Manning that many now consider a lock for the Hall of Fame, or are you talking about Manning in his fifth year -- the Manning that still hadn't won a playoff game? I think you get my point. Andrew is on par with Manning's career. 

2. "To me, Luck is a pretty smart guy.  Probably more book smart than football smart."

On this forum there are numerous posts and threads discussing how the Colts offense runs better in a hurry-up offense. Coincidentally, that's when Luck is in more control of the offense. This would be contradictory to your claim that Luck is not football smart. When he is given more control, the offense runs more efficiently.

3. Total bone head move and I don't care what anyone says.  All he had to do was dive and it was first down.

Intellectually, taking the stance of "I don't care what anyone says" is short sighted. Ideally, if presented with new information, you should always be willing to change your stance to improve your understanding. As for the play: Luck was in the shotgun formation when he received the snap. He was 4-yards behind the line of scrimmage. Then he took two steps back, surveyed the field, felt the pressure and moved to his left and then into the pocket toward the line of scrimmage. He was 5-yards away from the first down marker when he threw the ball -- that would mean that he had to dive for 15 feet to get the first down. Simply put, he couldn't dive for the first down. He could have run for the first down, knowing that he would have taken a hit from a defender to his right and to his left. He would've been sandwiched, just like in the Denver game when he sustained a season ending injury, which brings up point #4:

4. He still makes many of the same mistakes he did as a rookie.

The last play is a perfect illustration of Luck learning from his mistakes. He learned to protect himself and live to play another game.

In this picture. Luck needs to get to the white line just above Mewhort's helmet. As you can see, there is a defender to his right, and to his left. He would've taken a similar hit, just like the Denver game. I would also add that if he ran, it still would've been a close call. Not the guarantee that many on this forum seem to think that it is.

21 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Luck could have run for it, with ease, but Allen was open, so the pass is understandable.  What's not being mentioned is that the throw was off the mark. The ball should have been thrown more to Allen's right, away from the defender.  Luck does not yet compare to Manning in the accuracy department in putting balls where they are most easily caught by the receiver.   It's kind of becoming quite frustrating. 

On the OC and HC for not running the best offense (hurry-up) for the 1st three quarters of every game, though to be fair, five first quarter drops stalled the offense.  Also frustrating is that it seems so obvious to so many that the offense needs to become a lot more urgent.  Even a credible Reggie Wayne agrees!

What is bugging me is that great coaches adjust and adapt, but the Colts game-planning is not adapting and adjusting in a timely manner.   I mean, breaking news, a grinding running game and stud defense the Colts do not have!  Time to open up the offense with a sense of 4th quarter urgency, from the first whistle ... to build up the lead and put your defense in a position of playing with the lead.  I say just gotta do this until the defense and OL mature and come together, otherwise, it will be a loooooong season.

Hey, Rockywoj -- Good post. I have read a few posters mention the ball placement. Actually, what I haven't read on here was why Allen moved up the field, away from Luck on that play. 

Allen had the defender to his back and had him walled off, but instead of running away from the defender, he ran away and up field. This allowed the defender to undercut the pass, which led to the pass breakup below. Allen should have run a more precise route to shield the defender away from the ball. If you watch the replay, you can see Allen drifting up field, instead of across the field.

almost_zpshd3rrtbd.jpg

On 10/2/2016 at 1:31 PM, SaturdayAllDay said:

I still like the pickup of Ferguson. But he is a work in progress.  He might be good with the right coaching and a little time. I'm not sure why he gets more looks then todman or turbin. 

Turbin needs way more carries. It takes 2 or 3 people to bring Turbin down, while a small breeze will knock Ferguson down. Its border line criminal that Turbin doesn't see the field more often.

7 hours ago, southwest1 said:

Your less than perfect ball placement argument to Allen is a tad bit over the top since with Dwayne's frame & wingspan #83 has no excuse for dropping the ball IMO. Yeah, I know. I'm being picky. LOL! 

I have to disagree with you on this.   Because of the ball placement, the defender was able to interfere with the reception, causing the incompletion.  Unlike Allen's drop earlier in the game, I consider this ill fated pass as being a pass defended, not a drop.   If the throw had been more to the outside, no way the defender can get in on the pass to break it up.  The pass kind of stopped Allen in his tracks rather than lead him away from the defender, as I recall.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:55 PM, Stephen said:

luck or gore should have ran. Allen can't catch

On 10/2/2016 at 1:03 PM, ThatOneColtFan said:

He could've ran but he trusted his expensive TE to make a catch, Allen is such a joke.

On 10/2/2016 at 1:08 PM, Everyone said:

Yeah, heaven forbid that the guy whose getting paid $30 million to catch a football cant catch a football....

On 10/2/2016 at 1:31 PM, Luck12-to-Hilton13 said:

Even though Allen should have caught that pass. Luck IS to blame for that play as well. 

You guys all realize that when Allen turned and was open the ball wasn't thrown then.  It was thrown a second or two later which allowed the defender to close and make a play on the ball.  Hell Allen even started to strafe away from the defender before Luck threw the ball.  That's how late he was with that read.  But you guys won't blame your golden QB and admit he is a large reason why the Colts are 1-3.

The Colts D has allowed 125 pts.  That's 31.2 ppg.  That is 30th in the NFL.  But Luck is responsible for 31 of those points.  If you take that out thats 93 pts or 23.25 ppg that would put us at 19th.  Big difference.

So you can blame whoever you want but Luck needs to be a major part of that blame.  Just because he's responsible for scoring points, doesn't absolve him from all the points he's scoring for the opposition.

Where's Pep Hamilton when you need a scapegoat?

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Irsay doesn't have a job. He is the owner and hires people to do jobs.

His JOB is to hire competent people to coach and run the football side of the team.  He has failed to do His JOB....  he has not hired competent people... 

29 minutes ago, Old Colt said:

His JOB is to hire competent people to coach and run the football side of the team.  He has failed to do His JOB....  he has not hired competent people... 

That is your opinion. But the answer has not yet been determined in mine.