Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Luck makes the worst decisions in the league

YourNextGM

On 10/2/2016 at 1:03 PM, ThatOneColtFan said:

Are you kidding me, Luck is what kept us in the game.

He could've ran but he trusted his expensive TE to make a catch, Allen is such a joke.

He would've gotten crushed if he ran it anyway.

Allen is paid very handsomely to catch footballs. So do it!

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, tikyle said:

You guys all realize that when Allen turned and was open the ball wasn't thrown then.  It was thrown a second or two later which allowed the defender to close and make a play on the ball.  Hell Allen even started to strafe away from the defender before Luck threw the ball.  That's how late he was with that read.  But you guys won't blame your golden QB and admit he is a large reason why the Colts are 1-3.

The Colts D has allowed 125 pts.  That's 31.2 ppg.  That is 30th in the NFL.  But Luck is responsible for 31 of those points.  If you take that out thats 93 pts or 23.25 ppg that would put us at 19th.  Big difference.

So you can blame whoever you want but Luck needs to be a major part of that blame.  Just because he's responsible for scoring points, doesn't absolve him from all the points he's scoring for the opposition.

Where's Pep Hamilton when you need a scapegoat?

I clearly said Luck is to blame for that play as well.

I don't get to watch every Colts game as I live in Colorado, but I do know that we fall behind in the 1st half nearly game in every season and have to play "Comeback Kid". You never watch the halftime show and have the announcer say "Colts are up 21-7 at the half. No, it's always "Colts are trailing 21-7 at the half. That falls on Pagano as he can't outsmart anyone as a coach, and it falls on Luck as he can't dissect a defense when it's playing 100% back at him. All Luck can really do when the game is close is throwing little passes to the rbs and tes and try to run it to get a couple yards here and there. Gore will pick up some of the slack, but there's no big plays early, no big drives, Luck isn't good enough when the defense is playing back at him. The only time Luck scores tds, makes drives, and piles up stats, is in the 2nd half when the defense gives him some throws when the game is almost out of hand. 

After that, we'll get back into it and a lot of people here will claim how close it was and we're still a good team and we'll win next week. What really happened was we got dominated and could get beat 50-21 every game if our opponents felt like it. Injuries may be a small part of it, but we're not in the big dogs league, and everyone is a threat to beat us right now with how Luck and Pagano are doing their jobs.

On 10/2/2016 at 0:59 PM, NewColtsFan said:

Try not to delate in absolutes....

I think Luck made a mistake....    should've run for the 1st....

But saying he makes the worst decisions in the league only makes you look like a horses rear end who doesn't know anything about football.

Luck made a bad decision.      Try not to over-react.

Allen was open... the same ol' Luck problem once again... he didn`t lead his receiver.

39 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Allen was open if he was led.....   the throw wasn't good enough.      I've been saying that in most every post.

Ct7nMH9VIAA9ncv.jpg

Allen was clearly open. And I'm sure the throw could have been better, but I think the defense just made a great play.

2 minutes ago, snkdy said:

Ct7nMH9VIAA9ncv.jpg

Allen was clearly open. And I'm sure the throw could have been better, but I think the defense just made a great play.

Great freeze frame.      Thanks.

I hope someone can find end zone video that shows the actual pass.

Perhaps I'm misremembering,  or perhaps I didn't see what I thought I saw....

From a ground level end zone replay from BEHIND Luck....   I saw Allen open....  and to me,  Luck's pass is closer to Allen's body instead of further out away where Allen can easily catch it and run.

When the pass was closer to the body,  I thought I saw a defender's arm/hand reach in...     I don't know if he hit Allen's arm/hand, or the ball, or what....      but it looked like it might play a part in Allen's drop.

That's how I thought I saw it......       would love to see actual video....

Maybe someone has it?      Someone?        Anyone?

Just asking........

8 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

Great freeze frame.      Thanks.

I hope someone can find end zone video that shows the actual pass.

Perhaps I'm misremembering,  or perhaps I didn't see what I thought I saw....

From a ground level end zone replay from BEHIND Luck....   I saw Allen open....  and to me,  Luck's pass is closer to Allen's body instead of further out away where Allen can easily catch it and run.

When the pass was closer to the body,  I thought I saw a defender's arm/hand reach in...     I don't know if he hit Allen's arm/hand, or the ball, or what....      but it looked like it might play a part in Allen's drop.

That's how I thought I saw it......       would love to see actual video....

Maybe someone has it?      Someone?        Anyone?

Just asking........

The freeze-frame is from Josh Wilson. This is the only video I've seen of the pass; I wish they had filmed the play from a different perspective. I agree with you that the pass should have been further out, but it looks like the defensive player knocked the ball out. He got into position very quickly after that screen-cap.

17 minutes ago, snkdy said:

The freeze-frame is from Josh Wilson. This is the only video I've seen of the pass; I wish they had filmed the play from a different perspective. I agree with you that the pass should have been further out, but it looks like the defensive player knocked the ball out. He got into position very quickly after that screen-cap.

One of the oddity's for me on this play is that we were in shotgun on 4th and less than 1....

And Chud had Luck under center --- where I like him best --- for most of the game.

We ran some shotgun....   but my guess would be we had more Luck under center than we did in the gun.

And then there was the 4th and 1.....

(Sigh.......)

freeze frames are misleading

you could find a frame on pretty much any play where it looks like the receiver is open

I remember this coming up a lot on the malcom butler int.  the receiver looked wide open for an easy td on the freeze frames, but at full speed the gap closed in fractions of a second

16 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

freeze frames are misleading

you could find a frame on pretty much any play where it looks like the receiver is open

I remember this coming up a lot on the malcom butler int.  the receiver looked wide open for an easy td on the freeze frames, but at full speed the gap closed in fractions of a second

Very true. And to the bolded, I think that's exactly what happened but it's hard to tell with the way they filmed the play.

4 hours ago, rockywoj said:

I have to disagree with you on this.   Because of the ball placement, the defender was able to interfere with the reception, causing the incompletion.  Unlike Allen's drop earlier in the game, I consider this ill fated pass as being a pass defended, not a drop.   If the throw had been more to the outside, no way the defender can get in on the pass to break it up.  The pass kind of stopped Allen in his tracks rather than lead him away from the defender, as I recall.

From what I saw, Luck saw Allen open & made a split second decision to get the ball to Dwayne. It was a spur of the moment thing to toss the TE the ball as opposed to make a different read or run with it for a 1st down. Brett Favre used to do this all the time in GB--A quick flick of the wrist or shovel pass to whoever was closest to the 1st down marker. 

I don't really highlight accuracy here as a liability because a QB's reflex's says hey, allen's open throw the dude the ball quick. It's almost like a bang bang play without a collision. Did it fail? Yes. That's the nature of football. Win some; lose some. 

Maybe Andrew didn't set his feet because accuracy comes from your base & lower extremities as opposed to your arm, shoulder, & upper body as a QB. However, Luck was thinking move the chains ASAP & get a fast rhythm going to cap this drive off with a winning TD. I can't crucify Chewy for that. JMO. 

2 hours ago, braveheartcolt said:

He would have dropped it anyway....

Dwayne Allen does remind me of when we had Pierre Garcon on our roster. He will make a tremendous catch that he pulls in remaining in bounds & then drop a pass your little cousin could catch with ease in your backyard. LOL! 

I was like really Dwayne? Really? SMH. I still like the guy. I just expected him to catch the darn ball. Not a perfect throw, but come on man you know what's on the line here dude. Our season for crying out loud. Sigh...

Just watched it many times from different angles, still can't see if it was a fumble or if it was tipped. It was well in front of Allen, in the direction he was travelling. Probably needed a little more zip, but can you blame Luck for not launching it to him? He mayhave gotten 1st down himself, but he would have had to dive head first with 2 defenders homing in on him. As someone said, with Jim whispering in his ear about not taking risks......

To be honest, it was the first 3 quarters that lost the game, not that one throw. Pathetic call to throw it as well, I may add.

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

You never watch the halftime show and have the announcer say "Colts are up 21-7 at the half. No, it's always "Colts are trailing 21-7 at the half. That falls on Pagano as he can't outsmart anyone as a coach,

I must admit this pattern is getting old Jared because when we face the Steelers or the Vikings able to generate early leads & a defense that knows how to tackle well short on 3rd down preventing 1st down conversions in INDY's favor. It's not gonna be a pretty thing to watch. 

I'm not ready to throw the towel in on Pagano yet, but we need to cater to our strengths: Speed & throwing the ball more. Come out with a vertical game plan from jump street to open up running the ball after we get something besides a predictable FG. You don't make the playoffs kicking FGs as your main form of production on offense. 

Look, I know Luck is taking too many hits & a good running game opens up the play action passing game except our running game isn't that good & as a result, Luck usually has to make a miraculous throw on 3rd down which usually means he has to stand in the pocket & take a big hit from a LB or DE. I feel like this pattern repeats itself almost every week. I will admit that Philbin has at least given him a pocket to climb & move up in now. Something  Luck didn't have in previous seasons. Maybe the coaching staff needs to alter the rotation at the running back spots not starting with Gore & give Ferguson a shot starting first & targeting Doyle more at the beginning. 

3 hours ago, Jared Cisneros said:

I don't get to watch every Colts game as I live in Colorado, but I do know that we fall behind in the 1st half nearly game in every season and have to play "Comeback Kid". You never watch the halftime show and have the announcer say "Colts are up 21-7 at the half. No, it's always "Colts are trailing 21-7 at the half. That falls on Pagano as he can't outsmart anyone as a coach, and it falls on Luck as he can't dissect a defense when it's playing 100% back at him. All Luck can really do when the game is close is throwing little passes to the rbs and tes and try to run it to get a couple yards here and there. Gore will pick up some of the slack, but there's no big plays early, no big drives, Luck isn't good enough when the defense is playing back at him. The only time Luck scores tds, makes drives, and piles up stats, is in the 2nd half when the defense gives him some throws when the game is almost out of hand. 

I read your post and wanted to see if I could refute your points. Unfortunately, you are right in some areas of your argument.

Luck is horrible in the first quarter (not just the last game, with so many dropped passes, but overall in the 1st quarter). Per ESPN stat splits, so far this year in the 1st Quarter Luck is 16 of 37 for 148 yards, and just 43.2% completion percentage, with 0 TDs and 1 INT, 43.5 QB rating.

Pagano and Co. may have something to do with this, lack of preparation, etc... however, Luck is not doing the team any favors with his horrible play in the 1st quarter.

On 10/4/2016 at 8:34 AM, tikyle said:

You guys all realize that when Allen turned and was open the ball wasn't thrown then.  It was thrown a second or two later which allowed the defender to close and make a play on the ball.  Hell Allen even started to strafe away from the defender before Luck threw the ball.  That's how late he was with that read.  But you guys won't blame your golden QB and admit he is a large reason why the Colts are 1-3.

The Colts D has allowed 125 pts.  That's 31.2 ppg.  That is 30th in the NFL.  But Luck is responsible for 31 of those points.  If you take that out thats 93 pts or 23.25 ppg that would put us at 19th.  Big difference.

So you can blame whoever you want but Luck needs to be a major part of that blame.  Just because he's responsible for scoring points, doesn't absolve him from all the points he's scoring for the opposition.

Where's Pep Hamilton when you need a scapegoat?

Lol, compare this to other teams where the QBs have far more slack for margin of error.

We live and die by Luck, are winning and losing hinges on him wayyy too much. I have gotten on him in the past so don't come at me like I'm absolving him of any sloppy pay. 

Hey M-432, 

Offer to house sit Dwayne Allen's dog again & see if you can "make it rain" [inside joke] again. Perhaps #83 will ball out then & become the TE we need him to be we expect him to be. 

Hades, at this point, I'll try any ritual, superstition, or good luck charm I can think of to catapult the Horseshoe to a prolonged winning streak man. I'm desperate. 

On 2016-10-04 at 6:34 AM, tikyle said:

The is not an appropriate comparison. If you wish to compare points allowed by defenses minus their QB turnover point you would have a more accurate stat to hang you spurious argument on.

Ill say it. As much as I blame Allen for "dropping" that pass I blame Luck a perfectly equal amount for making a "terrible" throw. That freeze frame up there works against Luck IMO. Look how open Allen is, and then see where the pass goes. He literally threw it in such a way that Allen had to halt his momentim and give sprinting defender a good chance to make an attempt on the ball. 

Shouldve still been a catch by Allen, but still should have been an easy throw which LEADS Allen from our #1 paid player/elite qb/best player on the roster. That's a bad throw that I expect Osweiler to be making; not Luck. 

On 10/2/2016 at 11:46 AM, YourNextGM said:

The coaching staff doesn't help,  but you pay this guy to elevate the staff.  4th and 1 and u throw that ball instead of just running for the 1st.  This guy's intellect as far as football is vastly overrated.  

What? Please, did Phil Simms elevate Bill Parcells coaching? Did Tom Brady elevate Bill Belechik's? I don't agree that you pay a player to elevate the coaches. You pay a player to win games. The part that many people forget about football is that there are 21 other players on the field that have to play also in order to win. Luck made a bad decision on that 4th and 1 but it doesn't happen very often. Bring Tony Dungy, Tom Moore, Howard Mudd back in their prime and you would see a completely different result. While your at it bring Bill Polian back too and he would atleast put some talent on defense in order to give Luck a chance to win games.

6 hours ago, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Ill say it. As much as I blame Allen for "dropping" that pass I blame Luck a perfectly equal amount for making a "terrible" throw. That freeze frame up there works against Luck IMO. Look how open Allen is, and then see where the pass goes. He literally threw it in such a way that Allen had to halt his momentim and give sprinting defender a good chance to make an attempt on the ball. 

Shouldve still been a catch by Allen, but still should have been an easy throw which LEADS Allen from our #1 paid player/elite qb/best player on the roster. That's a bad throw that I expect Osweiler to be making; not Luck. 

If Allen had actaully caught the pass that he dropped in the first half maybe this 4th and 1 wasnt so critical? Remember? It was a big 3rd down, Allen was wide open in the middle of the field? Pass hits him right in the hands? How about the other drops in the first half? OK, Luck made a poor throw and probably should have just run for it(which he does a lot of because he's under pressure so much). This is a 22 man game. This 4th and 1 didnt cost us the game. It was the one people will point to but it was just one of about a dozen or more that really hurt and put all together added up to the loss.

Luck is the only reason we are even in most games. Period. 

Luck has to take the team on his back in the 2nd half to overcome the ridiculous hole this coaching staff puts the Colts in for the first 2 quarters while they try to figure out what's going on. There's a reason Luck has so many 4th quarter comebacks. 

The play call on 4th and 1 was absurd. 

1) Gore should've ran it

2) Allen should've caught it.

3) Luck should've ran for the first down......but this amazing coaching staff has beat into his head to protect himself (since the O-Line won't) so many times that he was probably too scared to do it. 

20 minutes ago, lollygagger8 said:

Luck is the only reason we are even in most games. Period. 

Luck has to take the team on his back in the 2nd half to overcome the ridiculous hole this coaching staff puts the Colts in for the first 2 quarters while they try to figure out what's going on. There's a reason Luck has so many 4th quarter comebacks. 

The play call on 4th and 1 was absurd. 

1) Gore should've ran it

2) Allen should've caught it.

3) Luck should've ran for the first down......but this amazing coaching staff has beat into his head to protect himself (since the O-Line won't) so many times that he was probably too scared to do it. 

I don't think he's scared to but we know he's being told not to run as much and protect himself. You are completely right about Luck being the only reason we are even in these games. He makes a lot of plays and throws that only the best QB's in the league will make and he's doing it while running for his life most of the time. Hopefully with Good and Reitz practicing we get better line play this week

On Sunday, October 02, 2016 at 0:46 PM, YourNextGM said:

The coaching staff doesn't help,  but you pay this guy to elevate the staff.  4th and 1 and u throw that ball instead of just running for the 1st.  This guy's intellect as far as football is vastly overrated.  

Your nuts. No where closeclose

2 hours ago, theanarchist said:

If Allen had actaully caught the pass that he dropped in the first half maybe this 4th and 1 wasnt so critical? Remember? It was a big 3rd down, Allen was wide open in the middle of the field? Pass hits him right in the hands? How about the other drops in the first half? OK, Luck made a poor throw and probably should have just run for it(which he does a lot of because he's under pressure so much). This is a 22 man game. This 4th and 1 didnt cost us the game. It was the one people will point to but it was just one of about a dozen or more that really hurt and put all together added up to the loss.

"Ill say it. As much as I blame Allen for "dropping" that pass I blame Luck a perfectly equal amount for making a "terrible" throw. "

I didn't say anything about the other awful plays by Allen. He's been s complete failure this season obviously. But I'm just talking about the 4th and 1 

I don't think Luck makes horrible decisions by any means.  A bad throw here and there? Sure, it happens especially because he's constantly under pressure.  I think we see a lot of "cable" Andrew Luck in the first quarter in a half sometimes two then we see "direct tv" Andrew Luck from there on out.  I like "direct tv" Andrew Luck and think we should see him more earlier in the game.  Maybe that's on the coaches?  Maybe that's on him?  They need to get off to quicker starts offensively.  If this team is going to win games, they are going to have to outscore everyone because the defense isn't going to stop anyone.  I also think it's a good idea to run some quick pass plays to get the ball out of his hands faster.

How often, since day one, have we watched a replay with the analyst showing Lucky
throwing the ball as or before his receiver makes his break? Hmmm!
 It is the Mark of a Top QB.
He may know the Playbook backwards and forwards.
But post snap the guy is a quarter second+ slow to anticipate, and too often a little high and behind that Great spot for the catch & run.
 Finally, mostly because of more short throws perhaps, he IS clearly getting the ball down better. Kudos!!
 Manning made a big jump on what I/we should be hoping for from Lucky AFTER his year 5. Let us hope!!
  We are getting some really good young prospects so... :thmup:   Go Colts!!  :cheer:

I love Manning as much as the next guy but here are the stats for Mannings 1st 5 years compared to luck.

Manning

Year    Att  Comp    Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G      TD   TD%       Int    Int%
2002 591 392 66.3 36.9 4,200 7.1 262.5 27 4.6 19 3.2
2001 547 343 62.7 34.2 4,131 7.6 258.2 26 4.8 23 4.2
2000 571 357 62.5 35.7 4,413 7.7 275.8 33 5.8 15 2.6
1999 533 331 62.1 33.3 4,135 7.8 258.4 26 4.9 15 2.8
1998 575 326 56.7 35.9 3,739 6.5 233.7 26 4.5 28 4.9

Luck

Year     Att  Comp    Pct Att/G Yds Avg Yds/G TD TD% Int Int%
2016 166 103 62 41.5 1,147 6.9 286.8 8 4.8 3 1.8
2015 293 162 55.3 41.9 1,881 6.4 268.7 15 5.1 12 4.1
2014 616 380 61.7 38.5 4,761 7.7 297.6 40 6.5 16 2.6
2013 570 343 60.2 35.6 3,822 6.7 238.9 23 4 9 1.6
2012 627 339 54.1 39.2 4,374 7 273.4 23 3.7 18 2.9

There is no comparison.  Luck is better in everything but PCT completion.  Not bad for a bad decision maker.  Of course some of you see Manning with Colts Blue glasses on.  I guess no one remembers the 6 interceptions in 2007 I think it was against Dallas?  I love Manning, but please, he was just as prone to mistakes as any QB in the league.  He was not a God and neither is Luck.  He is a very good young QB.  All these issues stem from poor play calling, bad offensive line, bad defense, bad preparation, and horrid front office decisions.  PERIOD!!!

Here's another stat for you Luck bashers.

Manning sacks 1st 5 years were 22, 14, 20, 29, and 23

Luck sacks 1st 5 years are so far 41, 32, 27, 15, 15

Please.  If anyone thinks this is Luck's issue, they don't know a thing about football.  Nothing.

15 sacks in a very shortened season and already 15 in 4 games.  The man is literally being killed and some on here want to blame him for this crap.  Unreal.