Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

The Media Has No Idea

manningstheman

Most of the media has gotten everything wrong with what Irsay is going to do with the Colts. Most experts were saying he was going to pick an offensive minded HC. They reported that Caldwell was staying. They have no idea. Now they are possitive that Manning is out. I am sick of the major media stations. They try so hard to infuence everyones thoughts. But, they have no idea anymore. Thanks to Irsay for shutting down the leaks. He is leaving the media looking foolish.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of the media has gotten everything wrong with what Irsay is going to do with the Colts. Most experts were saying he was going to pick an offensive minded HC. They reported that Caldwell was staying. They have no idea. Now they are possitive that Manning is out. I am sick of the major media stations. They try so hard to infuence everyones thoughts. But, they have no idea anymore. Thanks to Irsay for shutting down the leaks. He is leaving the media looking foolish.

Well if they have no idea,which they rarely do, simply take it all with a grain of salt...which it really is...maybe even a half a grain............

Irsay actually has said multiple times (and on NFL Network/prime time tv even) that it is NOT about money, its about Peyton's health...and that if he's healthy and continues to play, that he wants it to be with the Colts....

Peyton has said numerous times (and again in the IndyStar article) that he has always and still does want to play his entire career in one place for one team...

BUT that is a relatively boring story...so the media likes to spin it to get attention, its nothing more and nothing less than them trying to boost ratings and get people's attention

Wow ,am I really getting assaulted on this topic. I thought more peeps would agree with me. I think its great that the media is wrong alot of times. This whole forum is, for the most part, based of what they heard through the media. Take it easy people.

Well, mine came with a thumbs up and intended it as humor, and as an obvious slant against the media as well. I think that there are many here who believe what the media says, but not all of us, so to say the whole forum is swayed would not be entirely accurate.

Irsay actually has said multiple times (and on NFL Network/prime time tv even) that it is NOT about money, its about Peyton's health...and that if he's healthy and continues to play, that he wants it to be with the Colts....

Peyton has said numerous times (and again in the IndyStar article) that he has always and still does want to play his entire career in one place for one team...

BUT that is a relatively boring story...so the media likes to spin it to get attention, its nothing more and nothing less than them trying to boost ratings and get people's attention

True but the more they keep talking about it over and over the more it starts to seep into the thoughts of those involved. In the Kravitz article, Peyton is quoted as speculating that he could be" the next to go". (I'm paraphrasing here.) So he is now obviously mulling over that prospect. If he was confident that the decision regarding his future would be solely between him and Irsay, then why would he need Grigson to reluctantly confirm that fact and why would he even make such a statement to the media knowing how they like to blow things out of proportion?

True but the more they keep talking about it over and over the more it starts to seep into the thoughts of those involved. In the Kravitz article, Peyton is quoted as speculating that he could be" the next to go". (I'm paraphrasing here.) So he is now obviously mulling over that prospect. If he was confident that the decision regarding his future would be solely between him and Irsay, then why would he need Grigson to reluctantly confirm that fact and why would he even make such a statement to the media knowing how they like to blow things out of proportion?

I don't know Kravitz from shine-ola, but it's getting more difficult to distinguish everyday.

His article paints a gloomy picture, but if you only read Manning's responses, and ignore Kravitz's 'take' on things, it's bunk.

I'd like to hear/see the interview. I don't trust Kravitz's opinion.

JMO

Wow ,am I really getting assaulted on this topic. I thought more peeps would agree with me. I think its great that the media is wrong alot of times. This whole forum is, for the most part, based of what they heard through the media. Take it easy people.

I was beyond pee-od today with the media to the point my blood pressure was really high. Just stupid anfter stupid comment on.. oh Peyton is so done.. oh he is leaving the colts.. blah, blah, blah. Ahhhh.. im exhausted.

you have to remember, these same people said we were moving to Los Angeles a few years ago...they all also said that Austin Collie had to either retire or face certain death on the football field...we can see how stupid and untrue both of those reports are, but the media likes to spin things into the biggest story/most controversy etc that they can...its how they get people to tune in to watch.

as for kravitz, he is a hack. one of the few things i couldnt blame bill polian for is that he despised kravitz. Bob Kravitz makes up his own opinion on something and then harps on it constantly like he is doing now with the Peyton Manning situation. He has done the same thing with the Pacers over the years.

Edited by Coltssouth
Personal attack - sry no name calling

Yea and in that same article he was down and out, but I heard from other media sources that he was actually up beat...I would like to hear the interview myself. And make my own call.

Michael Lombardi is the only one that seems to have a brain. He understands healthy Peyton is a Colt. Retired if he isn't. He seems to be the only one not ignoring the words directly coming out of Jim and Peyton's mouths.

The others aren't ignroing the words coming out of Jim and Peyton's mouths either. They are just listening to other words like when Irsay talks about this being a new era, this being like 1998 the last time we had the top pick in the draft, and got a new GM, HC, and QB. Jim Irsay saying you have to have the three pillers of a franchise to build around in a good GM, HC, and QB. They are just hearing different things than people who want to keep Manning.

By the way and I am speaking from my heart here more than anything else. I am one of those that thinks we keep Manning and draft Luck. Again all assuming Manning is healthy and there is part of me that thinks Irsay doesn't expect Peyton Manning to be healthy by March 8th and getting ready for life without him for that reason. Now with that said based on yesterday I don't think Manning is going to accept a doctor saying you aren't healthy and is going to try to play. The question is if the Colts have a doctor telling them look it's an 85% chance Manning can't play again on March 8th do they pretty much commit to him for the next fours knowing that if he can't play they don't really have an out after that point? That's a huge gamble to take if you aren't 100% sure Manning is going to be able to play again because if you get it wrong you have really handcuffed your franchise for the next four years.

Michael Lombardi is the only one that seems to have a brain. He understands healthy Peyton is a Colt. Retired if he isn't. He seems to be the only one not ignoring the words directly coming out of Jim and Peyton's mouths.

I agree......Irsay said that if Peyton is healthy, then Peyton will be playing for the Colts.....Peyton said he would like to finish his career......for the Colts.....Peytons doctors said at his last visit that his neck fusion is 100% complete and that there should be no reason that Peyton can not return to his pre-surgery form......seems pretty simple to me.......Irsay loves his team and will do what is best for it.....just like today when he hired a HC with the strength to fix our weakness......defense...thank you Mr. Irsay

The others aren't ignroing the words coming out of Jim and Peyton's mouths either. They are just listening to other words like when Irsay talks about this being a new era, this being like 1998 the last time we had the top pick in the draft, and got a new GM, HC, and QB. Jim Irsay saying you have to have the three pillers of a franchise to build around in a good GM, HC, and QB. They are just hearing different things than people who want to keep Manning.

By the way and I am speaking from my heart here more than anything else. I am one of those that thinks we keep Manning and draft Luck. Again all assuming Manning is healthy and there is part of me that thinks Irsay doesn't expect Peyton Manning to be healthy by March 8th and getting ready for life without him for that reason. Now with that said based on yesterday I don't think Manning is going to accept a doctor saying you aren't healthy and is going to try to play. The question is if the Colts have a doctor telling them look it's an 85% chance Manning can't play again on March 8th do they pretty much commit to him for the next fours knowing that if he can't play they don't really have an out after that point? That's a huge gamble to take if you aren't 100% sure Manning is going to be able to play again because if you get it wrong you have really handcuffed your franchise for the next four years.

Irsay said we were going to be rebuilding in SOME areas, and that we would also keep some of our VETERANS around, also...you add that with what he's said about Peyton...and what he's said about how he didnt like that his dad traded Unitas or that his dad traded the Elway pick, and i think it all spells out that IF Peyton is healthy, we will have Peyton and Luck on this team next season...and if Peyton is not healthy, he will retire. I honestly dont see a scenario where he wants to go play for another team, honestly...i think that what is likely is that Peyton is working hard and anxious to come back and prove everyone wrong, and show that with him, this team is still one of the best in the NFL

Very rhyming title for a topic. :)

Seems like Irsay and Grigson are taking this rebuilding process step by step.

Now we have a new GM and HC. Many demand here Irsay (and Grigson) to talk with Peyton. I think it is time for it, just to ease media pressure on Menning and the team. I'm sick seeing articles, that Dolphins would like to have Manning (send them a life-like poster to fulfill their dream) or Jets would go after him, etc...

Always do mix things up. It's the same everywhere. Why do people buy newspapers? Interesting stories. What makes a story interesting? Controversy. What does buying papers mean? More money for the people who make it.

Thus newspapers (and all news outlets) will create, overstate and explode the slightest thing to cause interest and controversy because all it comes down to is money. It's a business like any other. The same as a chocolate bar being advertised as "Alright, I guess". Nobody's gonna buy a chocolate bar that calls itself "alright" and nobody is gonna buy a newspaper with the headline of "No major news coming out of Indianapolis today."

I was beyond pee-od today with the media to the point my blood pressure was really high. Just stupid anfter stupid comment on.. oh Peyton is so done.. oh he is leaving the colts.. blah, blah, blah. Ahhhh.. im exhausted.

I was kind of amazed at the extent to which they were talking about manning and the Colts yesterday....... you know, with the super bowl at hand.

#weird

I guess it's the drama. Kind of dramatic around these parts lately for sure.

With social media, I imagine it's difficult for media to 'get the breaking story' Now that means.......maybe 30 seconds before someone else.

Tough field, glad I am NOT in it

I have quit even listening to "news reporters" or "analysts" because their job is not to give us facts or truth, but to create controversy so that their employers can sell advertising. Just like any other business, the purpose of the news business is to make a profit. If you never lose sight of that fact, you won't be disappointed by anything they tell you because you won't believe them to begin with.

Schefter gets a special callout for some of his "of base" remarks on Wednesday. Greeney too. And only Bob Kravitz can make such mountains out of molehills.

MTM - don't get "sick" about the media, just change channels!

I am currently still well vested in the idea that if Manning is healthy, he remains a Colt, but if he is not healthy, then he retires. If I were Irsay, no way I would let a healthy Manning leave the Colts.

As for all the media chatter that is prescribing to the idea that it's clear Manning is gone, due to the very fact that he was not consulted on the firing of Polian and Caldwell and the on the hiring of a new GM and HC, Ludicrous I say! Since when does ownership and management EVER consult with players about managerial changes? Such is WAY beyond the realm of any player's purview and I consider the media's currently latching on to this misnomer as being pure donkeyism.

Awesome thread! I don't mind that media speculates, but more specifically they sell the speculations as something that will happen. I can't stand that. I also specifically hate that they'll take Irsay's, Peyton's words a twist them to mean the opposite of what's said.

That's only because noone truly knows what Irsay is saying. A lesser mind would explode if it knew HALF of what Irsay was thinking!

Im not talking about cryptic twitter posts. For example they will focus on " were in rebuilding mode" but totally ignore " keeping a number of players, coaches, and staff going on to the business of 2012" and " money isn't a issue, health is"

Adam Schefter this morning on an ESPN Sportscenter segment said something to the effect that the differences between Manning and the Colts are too deep now, and there is a 90% chance he is gone. So the media has taken one interview with Peyton, the owner and new GM working on firing and hiring coaches and not being Peyton-centric, and made this contentious, when I have seen no indication that conversations or decisions have even happened. Schefter again bought into the notion that 'everything' and 'everyone' Manning knew in Indy is gone, failing to mention Christensen, getting the facts correct. It's the easy way out - just keep regurgitating the same story, instead of doing some homework and gathering facts.

I agree with Dan's post above - nobody wants to watch the mundane, routine, every day story. There has to be intrigue, a hero and villain, drama, risk reward...

Massive generalizations and faulty assumptions should be pointed out for their flaws.

In defense of the media, didn't they say they should instead of would pick an OC? Also at that time no one knew the Colts were interviewing Pagano.

The media in this case is probably right when you look at the big picture. Nothing right now screams out to me as a fan that the Colts are retaining Peyton Manning.

You are so right, MTM....

.....these guys lean towards 'what would be the bigger story'

Manning staying in Indianapolis is not a big story...

..I keep hearing that it would cost $50 mil to play both Luck and Manning. That's just not true...

..I keep hearing how Manning wouldnt want to stay with the Colts as they are now..

That's 1000% wrong..

Mannings' 'boys' are Clark and Brackett and Saturday. Freeney and Mathis...Those guys are why he WOULD stay....

I keep hearing how Manning wont renegotiate because he's got the Colts 'over a barrell' with the $28 mil.

I think he's actually embarassed for getting paid the huge bucks and not playing in 2011...

...and he'll ASK to renegotiate...so guys like Reggie Wayne can get paid..

You are so right, MTM....

.....these guys lean towards 'what would be the bigger story'

Manning staying in Indianapolis is not a big story...

..I keep hearing that it would cost $50 mil to play both Luck and Manning. That's just not true...

..I keep hearing how Manning wouldnt want to stay with the Colts as they are now..

That's 1000% wrong..

Mannings' 'boys' are Clark and Brackett and Saturday. Freeney and Mathis...Those guys are why he WOULD stay....

I keep hearing how Manning wont renegotiate because he's got the Colts 'over a barrell' with the $28 mil.

I think he's actually embarassed for getting paid the huge bucks and not playing in 2011...

...and he'll ASK to renegotiate...so guys like Reggie Wayne can get paid..

Lets make some things clear here

Manning and Luck together will cost close to 50M in REAL dollars. Actual cash. The cap hit will be around 20mill ( I dont know Lucks cap hit but Manning is 16mish)

Manning's "boys" as in Mathis and you're forgetting Wayne will likely not be here next year if the Colts cannot make some room in the cap. If Manning is back it will be pretty darn hard to re-sign both Mathis and Wayne. One will be gone. Saturday is a F/A and may retire.

Manning cannot renegotiate per the new CBA rules. You cannot alter the contract in any way before the league year starts and the March 8th bonus date is before the league year starts. They cannot restructure until after the league year starts. By then Manning will have the 28m.

Now tell me if you think the media is wrong in saying Manning may likely not be back.

Manning and Luck together will cost close to 50M in REAL dollars. Actual cash. The cap hit will be around 20mill ( I dont know Lucks cap hit but Manning is 16mish)

Manning's "boys" as in Mathis and you're forgetting Wayne will likely not be here next year if the Colts cannot make some room in the cap. If Manning is back it will be pretty darn hard to re-sign both Mathis and Wayne. One will be gone. Saturday is a F/A and may retire.

Manning cannot renegotiate per the new CBA rules. You cannot alter the contract in any way before the league year starts and the March 8th bonus date is before the league year starts. They cannot restructure until after the league year starts. By then Manning will have the 28m.

Now tell me if you think the media is wrong in saying Manning may likely not be back.

Let me remind all you Luck lovers of something.

Luck is an un proven college qb

Manning is a future HOF may be the best thats ever played

Manning has been to 2 SB and won 1

Manning is the only 4X leauge MVP

Manning has contibuted Millions to the city of Indianapolis

Manning is the reason us fans have LOS

Manning can have a 4500 yrd season with half the team on IR

I could go on and on..

Manning cannot renegotiate per the new CBA rules. You cannot alter the contract in any way before the league year starts and the March 8th bonus date is before the season starts. They cannot restructure until after the league year starts. By then Manning will have the 28m.

Andrew......you cant be paid more than $4-5 mi...right as a rookie....and the cap hit is all that matters. News flash: Irsay is rich.

Manning makes the $28 mi, bonus and a $7 mil salary...How's that $50 mil?

You pay the bonus and restructure contact days later..when the 'season begins'

You can restructure any contract outside year it was signed...as you said

You can cut Manning and resign him when the new 'year' begins..backloading the $28 mil into 2014 and 2015.

In fact..Mannng may ASK to do this so Wayne can be paid...

Freeney is under contract....and there's no room for Mathis in a 3-4 defense anyway..

Jeff Saturday returns if Peyton Manning returns. Bet on that...

The media is wrong.....because Pagono will want Manning...He's faced him for a few years..

........Pagono doenst have time to go 6-10 for a couple of years. and 6-10 is the bst we can expect with Luck in 2012 (see: Cam Newton and Carolina)

Pagono has to win or he's gone in 2 years, right...?...

as of today..Manning is under contract to the Indianapolis Colts..whise owner says he plays if healthy//..

With all that said..you tell me why, other than him returning for health reasons, why Manning would not likely return?

Let me remind all you Luck lovers of something.

Luck is an un proven college qb

Manning is a future HOF may be the best thats ever played

Manning has been to 2 SB and won 1

Manning is the only 4X leauge MVP

Manning has contibuted Millions to the city of Indianapolis

Manning is the reason us fans have LOS

Manning can have a 4500 yrd season with half the team on IR

I could go on and on..

That's nice but this is before Manning had this previous surgery so those stats really mean nothing. At least we know Luck is healthy, young, a great prospect, and is ready to play day 1.

Judging from your username you probably do not care about the Colts outside of Peyton Manning.