Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Chuck Pagano complaints (merge)

RockThatBlue

• Replies 574
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 9/26/2016 at 0:30 AM, NewColtsFan said:

This is such an embarrassing thread.........

Complaining over the calls on 2nd and 40........

Right.

Because there are so many obvious calls on 2nd and 40 that will go for a 1st down.

Dear God......    where does this come from?        :facepalm:

Next time make sure to reply to me directly. It makes you look pettu when you reply to someone without quoting them directly.

And the call on 2nd and 40 isn't about not making a first down. It's about a repetitive tradition of nonsensical and conservative play-calling and situationall football. Pagano routinely coaches like he's scared.

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Next time make sure to reply to me directly. It makes you look pettu when you reply to someone without quoting them directly.

And the call on 2nd and 40 isn't about not making a first down. It's about a repetitive tradition of nonsensical and conservative play-calling and situationall football. Pagano routinely coaches like he's scared.

I'm not exactly a shy guy.....   and if you were the only person in this thread objecting to what happened on 2nd and 40 then I would have responded directly to you.

But the thread is filled with arm-chair quarterbacks who don't know their rear end from a hole in the wall.

So,  I responded in general to everyone who agrees with you.

As for 2nd and 40,  the fans here are just that --- fans.     And if trying to do more on 2nd and 40 had led to an interception, or a fumble,  or a sack,  or to Luck getting hurt,   YOU would've led the charge for how terrible Pagano is.     Because that's what you do --- you want it both ways.     No matter what,  you always think you're right.

Pagano is far from the first HC to go conservative on 2nd and 40.    It's what almost all coaches do.    They try to improve some field position with conservative calls to help the punt team.    Live to fight another day.

1 hour ago, NewColtsFan said:

I'm not exactly a shy guy.....   and if you were the only person in this thread objecting to what happened on 2nd and 40 then I would have responded directly to you.

But the thread is filled with arm-chair quarterbacks who don't know their rear end from a hole in the wall.

So,  I responded in general to everyone who agrees with you.

As for 2nd and 40,  the fans here are just that --- fans.     And if trying to do more on 2nd and 40 had led to an interception, or a fumble,  or a sack,  or to Luck getting hurt,   YOU would've led the charge for how terrible Pagano is.     Because that's what you do --- you want it both ways.     No matter what,  you always think you're right.

Pagano is far from the first HC to go conservative on 2nd and 40.    It's what almost all coaches do.    They try to improve some field position with conservative calls to help the punt team.    Live to fight another day.

No I wouldn't have. 

Well............   I just looked up the play by play sequence......    and I've posted it at the bottom so you can see the FACTS.        But I'll write them out for you.....

At 1st and 10, here's the sequence of plays....   holding

1st and 20,     short pass, incomplete.

2nd and 20     offensive pass interference.

2nd and 30      Holding

2nd and 40      Turbin, run up the middle  +3

3rd and 37      Luck short pass to Doyle  +13

4th and 24      Punt.

Anybody using this sequence as proof that Pagano is a bad coach is just trolling with an agenda.    There's nothing in this sequence that says "bad coach"....     but holding, incomplete,  PI, and holding again screams play it safe,  get out of Dodge with your life and live to fight another day.      

Honestly,   I thought this sequence was at the end of the half....    turns out,  it was at the end of the 3rd quarter.    So,  I think the move is even smarter,  because we only had one quarter left,  and you're trying to make sure you don't have any more self-inflicted wounds.     Especially not after Penalty, incomplete, Penalty and Penalty setting up 2nd and 40.

There are other things to be critical of Pagano over....    I thought he mismanaged the clock in the Detroit game.     I thought the criticism was mostly fair.      But this?      Silly.   People arguing here are the anti-pagans crowd, looking for a fight.      Especially after a much needed win.

1st and 10 at SD 49

(14:54 - 4TH) (RUN FORMATION) A.LUCK PASS SHORT LEFT TO F.GORE PUSHED OB AT SD 39 FOR 10 YARDS (D.PERRYMAN) [N.DZUBNAR]. IND-J.MEWHORT WAS INJURED DURING THE PLAY. PENALTY ON IND-J.DOYLE, OFFENSIVE HOLDING, 10 YARDS, ENFORCED AT SD 49 - NO PLAY

• 1st and 20 at IND 41

(14:23 - 4TH) (SHOTGUN) A.LUCK PASS INCOMPLETE SHORT LEFT

• 2nd and 20 at IND 41

(14:20 - 4TH) (SHOTGUN) A.LUCK PASS DEEP RIGHT TO C.ROGERS TO SD 1 FOR 58 YARDS (C.HAYWARD). PENALTY ON IND-C.ROGERS, OFFENSIVE PASS INTERFERENCE, 10 YARDS, ENFORCED AT IND 41 - NO PLAY

• 2nd and 30 at IND 31

(13:49 - 4TH) (SHOTGUN) R.TURBIN UP THE MIDDLE TO IND 41 FOR 10 YARDS (C.REID; T.PALEPOI). PENALTY ON IND-J.DOYLE, OFFENSIVE HOLDING, 10 YARDS, ENFORCED AT IND 31 - NO PLAY

• 2nd and 40 at IND 21

(13:22 - 4TH) (SHOTGUN) R.TURBIN UP THE MIDDLE TO IND 24 FOR 3 YARDS (D.PERRYMAN; K.EMANUEL)

• 3rd and 37 at IND 24

(12:42 - 4TH) (SHOTGUN) A.LUCK PASS SHORT RIGHT TO J.DOYLE TO IND 37 FOR 13 YARDS (N.DZUBNAR). SD-D.PERRYMAN WAS INJURED DURING THE PLAY

• 4th and 24 at IND 37

(12:10 - 4TH) P.MCAFEE PUNTS 44 YARDS TO SD 19, CENTER-M.OVERTON. T.BENJAMIN MUFFS CATCH, TOUCHED AT SD 19, RECOVERED BY SD-J.VERRETT AT SD 18. J.VERRETT TO SD 18 FOR NO GAIN (C.MAGGITT). SD-J.VERRETT WAS INJURED DURING THE PLAY

•  
  •  

14 hours ago, Dustin said:

a repetitive tradition of nonsensical and conservative play-calling and situationall football

I think we can judge 2nd and 40 in a vacuum, on its own merits. I don't understand the argument for handling that situation differently. Situationally, it was the right call.

Any other situations that suggest Pagano has a tradition coaching scared -- which is arguable; two years ago, the Colts were aggressive on 4th downs, and were probably shocked out of it by the punt disaster -- probably should be viewed separate from this.

I wouldn't add this decision to your case that Pagano is overly conservative and/or scared. 

4 hours ago, Superman said:

I think we can judge 2nd and 40 in a vacuum, on its own merits. I don't understand the argument for handling that situation differently. Situationally, it was the right call.

Any other situations that suggest Pagano has a tradition coaching scared -- which is arguable; two years ago, the Colts were aggressive on 4th downs, and were probably shocked out of it by the punt disaster -- probably should be viewed separate from this.

I wouldn't add this decision to your case that Pagano is overly conservative and/or scared. 

Yes you do understand it. You may disagree with it, but you understand it fine.

I agree.  chuck pagano is not a good head coach. Our defense has sucked since the day he arrived.  to this day it hasn't changed. He preaches more about having fun than doing your job and do what your getting payed to do. I think that's why there are so many injuries.  the guys are more worried about having fun than getting in shape to win. Chuck pagano needs to go.

Chuck pagano is never prepared because he is a defensive mind coach, and is always in defense of the other teams plans. The offense always starts slow, I don't care about the injuries. Slow starts is a major problem, and it's because the opposing team gets in his head before the game even starts. If you can't see that, you can't see what's going on.

2 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

This team has regressed each year since Pagano was hired. This team will not win anything in the playoffs until he is gone and Irsay hires a competent HC. Someone who is proven like a Tom Herman from Houston for example.

Irsay is part of the problem

Just now, Gabriel Alexander Morillo said:

Who Is Even realistic(obviously will never happen) option to take over? His daughters?

It won't happen, like you said.  The most realistic option is his daughters.  A new owner isn't like a new GM or head coach where you can go out and hire one.  I think it's already been stated that his daughters will take over when he decides to step away from the Colts

Yet ANOTHER slow start.

Yet MORE undisciplined play.

Another game looking completely UNPREPARED. 

And he's in his fifth year as the head coach  and hasn't seemed to have learned anything in getting this team out of these cycles.

I've defended him for a while now, but I'm sorry, it's time for Pagano to go.

Pagano is the sorriest coach in the NFL! Everyone get ready for his post game talk. Think we did go blah blah should have done this blah blah we got injuries but next man up! Pagano is a bum and needs to pack his own bags and head the hell out of town. This team is going no where with him! Hate this man as a coach. Let's hope the London trend continues and the losing coach is fired!

Wrong. You don't see why we have slow starts. Obviously 1. if we can't protect the quarterback we will never have fast starts. 2. If we can't keep the opposing offense off the field we obviously don't have a chance for a fast start. Both of those things point to a weak have fun mantality coach and a weak gm. It's about doing your job not having fun.

1 minute ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

I'm not a fan of wasting time but hopefully this has all been beneficial to lucks development, when we get a new HC next year. 

I would like a new head coach by this Tuesday. Next year would be an insult.

27 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

Like seriously someone gotta slap some sense into dude it's 4th and 1 and you want to throw it?????? Gore had a good game today and you don't want him to run it?????? That's just dumb coaching call it what you want but Gore could've ran that one yard

Fire chud

3 minutes ago, relkins said:

Fire chud

Let's hope you're kidding.......

Chud is one of the few good things this team has going for it....

If Pagano gets fired (and I doubt he will)  but if he does get fired,  guess who will be the head coach?

Yup.......   Chud.