Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign Stevan Ridley

PrincetonTiger

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd keep Ridley over Turbin tbh. Turbin has looked terrible. And don't try and give me that "It's preseason or it's the OL" crap either. I'm tired of making excuses for mediocre players, which Ridley is but not as much as Turbin.

Disagree on Turbin. Hes been our best back this preseason. I think hes looked pretty solid. Nothing mind blowing, but not terrible.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. My first thought after hearing this is it means the Colts probably aren't thrilled with Ferguson right now.

He catches the ball pretty good & YAC yards against the Eagles secondary were decent granted I only watched the first half so far but as of yet I just was'nt greatly impressed with him running the ball .  IMO he would do better as a receiver .. 

3 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

I'd keep Ridley over Turbin tbh. Turbin has looked terrible. And don't try and give me that "It's preseason or it's the OL" crap either. I'm tired of making excuses for mediocre players, which Ridley is but not as much as Turbin.

No excuses it is the o-line whether you want to hear it or not the Cowboys made Tony Romo  look good thanks to it & D Murray as well , 

If the O-line can't protect the QB or open holes for the running back then the offense can't flourish .

Here's a decent read for any who believe otherwise .

http://isportsweb.com/2016/08/09/2315715/

35 minutes ago, Johnny Bui said:

We sign Steven Ridley, but Greg Hardy is still a FA.  I know he's an ___, but its obvious what kind of help we need.

I'd rather be ranked last in the league in sacks than sign Greg Hardy.  He's a bum.  There's a reason why he's still a free agent, despite his great talents.

2 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Another castoff from another team picked up by Colts.  Shame they can't get it together with some solid signing to form a chemistry on the team..Again, it boils down to coaching.  Ridley at best average....

If Ridley turns out to be average it is a good signing. Coaches may make a suggestion but it is the GM who brings the players in. I don't quite get what you are referring to.

2 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

He catches the ball pretty good & YAC yards against the Eagles secondary were decent granted I only watched the first half so far but as of yet I just was'nt greatly impressed with him running the ball .  IMO he would do better as a receiver .. 

Hes good with the ball in space. The only problem is that he doesn't get out in space very often. 

33 minutes ago, gacoop1 said:

Another castoff from another team picked up by Colts.  Shame they can't get it together with some solid signing to form a chemistry on the team..Again, it boils down to coaching.  Ridley at best average....

Well, duh. There aren't exactly any super star running backs in free agency right now. Ridley was considered one of the best free agent running backs available. Anybody thats really good is already on a team.

1 minute ago, AZColt11 said:

.....and he's not gonna get much space behind THIS truly offensive line.

I agree the run blocking needs to improve. Jim Brown in his prime wouldn't look good if he was getting hit in the back field every other carry. People do need to remember though that this is a relatively new o line working together and with a different philosophy. Sometimes it takes a while for an o line too gel, especially one as young as ours is. I think they'll improve as the weeks go on. They were very good last week, so they've shown they can play well.

1 minute ago, RockThatBlue said:

I agree the run blocking needs to improve. Jim Brown in his prime wouldn't look good if he was getting hit in the back field every other carry. People do need to remember though that this is a relatively new o line working together and with a different philosophy. Sometimes it takes a while for an o line too gel, especially one as young as ours is. I think they'll improve as the weeks go on. They were very good last week, so they've shown they can play well.

Oh I know and I'm not giving up on them but I don't think they will make a sudden improvement overnight either.  These guys are mostly young and inexperienced in the NFL and they will take time to gel.  But that is not going to help things now and signing Ridley, when your OL is struggling, is not going to get you anywhere IMHO.

3 minutes ago, AZColt11 said:

Oh I know and I'm not giving up on them but I don't think they will make a sudden improvement overnight either.  These guys are mostly young and inexperienced in the NFL and they will take time to gel.  But that is not going to help things now and signing Ridley, when your OL is struggling, is not going to get you anywhere IMHO.

I'm not directing this at you so don't get me wrong. But as bad as the o line has been, it was Probably a bit foolish to expect a quick turnaround. That doesn't mean they can't get better though. I don't think anybody can doubt that this is probably the most talented and deep o line of the Luck era, but we need to remember that they are still basically cubs in the NFL. It was never going to turn around overnight IMO.

The team must have really liked him, when they brought him in, because I didn't really see a reason to do so. I figured Gore and Turbin would have been a solid back end with Williams, Todman and Ferguson potentially having the 3RB spot. But as Krunk said, better to have a vet back there, plus it'll keep Gore fresh down the stretch. Lets see how he does.

6 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Really?  He's looked as good as our other backs i thought.

its hard to tell tho, with 2nd and 3rd stringers in there.

1 hour ago, RockThatBlue said:

Well, duh. There aren't exactly any super star running backs in free agency right now. Ridley was considered one of the best free agent running backs available. Anybody thats really good is already on a team.

There arent many super star backs period.  Free agency or not.

just like there arent many super star QBs.

3 hours ago, Johnny Bui said:

We sign Steven Ridley, but Greg Hardy is still a FA.  I know he's an ___, but its obvious what kind of help we need.

Um, theres a big reason he's not on a team.  Heck, the Jags didnt even sign him.  And they signed Werner!!!!

him being an___ isn't the problem, his mental stability is.  He's a felony waiting to happen.

6 hours ago, ar1888 said:

I have watched him play this year, and he is averaging 3 yards a carry.

He's had a whopping 9 carries? I'm not saying he has recovered from MCL and ACL tears in his knee about half way through 2014. He obviously wasn't healthy w/Jets last year. If he gets back close to a 100% he's immediately the 2nd best back on our roster. 

He's almost 2yrs removed from the injury  if he's going to bounce back this is the year. I like the signing lets get an up close look before teams cut to 53. I think it says more about our current back ups more than anything else. 

13 hours ago, RockThatBlue said:

Yup. My first thought after hearing this is it means the Colts probably aren't thrilled with Ferguson right now.

I havn't been too impressed with him either.  

He had a lot of hype for a UDFA but honestly he's looked like a UDFA out there on the field.  

Only thing he can do is make decent catches.  

14 hours ago, Johnny Bui said:

That's what the Cowboys were thinking before he destroyed their locker room.

14 hours ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

I think Ferguson has talent but would be best served on the PS.  I say PS because of the type of system he played in collegiately.  All the runs came out of the shotgun and there was very little if any pro style running plays.  The kid needs to spend the year practicing running from behind center and reading blocks that way.  Once he gets comfortable I think he'll perk up and show us the ability that we know is there. So again I'm glad we picked up an experienced guy like Ridley for now.   Ferguson isn't ready to be our main running back if Gore goes down.  I could deal with a tandem of Ridley and Turbin if he went down though.

I don't know what Grigsons fixation is on these Spread System running backs when picking young players.  They all seem to need work transitioning into the NFL style runs.  Josh Robinson, Josh Ferguson. Like Trey Williams but most of his stuff came out of the Shotgun too in college.  Wiliams touchdowns with the Colts only came out of the shotgun as well.   I don't think Missispi State was still running the spread when he chose Vic Ballard. Seemed more like an option style system.  I believe they were Spread with Dak Prescott.  Not sure if Prescott was qb when Ballard was there.

9 minutes ago, achcolts said:

seriously whats the point. turbin and todman are quality backups... wont matter with the OL

Ridley was a quality starter in the league 1200+ yard 10+ td season. If he can get back to 100% at 27 with limited mileage he could potentially push Gore. It's a good signing we can always let him go if he isn't right

1 minute ago, akcolt said:

Ridley was a quality starter in the league 1200+ yard 10+ td season. If he can get back to 100% at 27 with limited mileage he could potentially push Gore. It's a good signing we can always let him go if he isn't right

not even about that, i understand, but it wasnt a pressing need for the team IMO. to your point, no harm really.