Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts sign WR Andrew Opoku

Everyone

3 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

Just checking him out an interesting signing possibly defense ??

http://www.bluehens.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=29100&ATCLID=209227191

Same thing I was thinking.  With the linebacker background I was thinking Dime or Nickel linebacker because I think we will end up needing one. Don't know who else can cover outside of Sio Moore and I suspect they'll be using Okine in coverage on some tight ends a little bit. 

Doubt this guy stays around long, but it was on my mind.   Love the size and it would be cool to have a guy with a WR background playing that role on passing downs.

10 minutes ago, krunk said:

Same thing I was thinking.  With the linebacker background I was thinking Dime or Nickel linebacker because I think we will end up needing one. Don't know who else can cover outside of Sio Moore and I suspect they'll be using Okine in coverage on some tight ends a little bit. 

Doubt this guy stays around long, but it was on my mind.   Love the size and it would be cool to have a guy with a WR background playing that role on passing downs.

You could have hit the nail on the head with Moore sustaining a hamstring injury this could be a chance for Opuku..

29 minutes ago, ÅÐØNϧ 1 said:

You could have hit the nail on the head with Moore sustaining a hamstring injury this could be a chance for Opuku..

He's also played safety before at another school before he got to Delaware. Played OLB and WR at Delware.   I wonder if they really want this guy to play offense.  Everything in his history suggests the fit is Defense. Wouldn't be surprised for them to say he's playing defense.

9 minutes ago, krunk said:

He's also played safety before at another school before he got to Delaware. Played OLB and WR at Delware.   I wonder if they really want this guy to play offense.  Everything in his history suggests the fit is Defense. Wouldn't be surprised for them to say he's playing defense.

If they wanted a tall WR, what happened to that WR they brought in from Canada as a TE?  I don't think he even unpacked.  

11 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

If they wanted a tall WR, what happened to that WR they brought in from Canada as a TE?  I don't think he even unpacked.  

Yeah he was gone real fast.  I don't have much expectation on this one either but just thinking through things based on his background.

41 minutes ago, Smonroe said:

Now according to Josh Wilson his numbers were as follows at Delaware:

He first played collegiately at Connecticut, where he played linebacker from 2010-2011. In 2011, he appeared in all 12 games and recorded ten tackles. He then transferred to Delaware, where he made the switch to wide receiver. Between receiver and linebacker, Opoku appeared in 33 games and caught four passes for 65 yards and a touchdown while also recording 19 tackles, two fumble recoveries, and a blocked punt.

Between receiver and linebacker, Opoku appeared in 33 games and caught four passes for 65 yards and a touchdown while also recording 19 tackles, two fumble recoveries, and a blocked punt.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/8/16/12508844/colts-sign-wide-receiver-andrew-opoku-waive-andre-debose

How do you appear in 33 games and catch only 4 passes?  Has more production to speak of at LB.  I think he's actually saying between his time at linebacker in Cincinatti and his time at WR at Delaware it was 33 games.  At WR he caught 4 passes.  Either way there doesn't appear to be much experience at WR.  Way more experience as a Linebacker.

10 hours ago, shakedownstreet said:

we signed him to gather intel on upcoming preseason opponent the ravens

No one really game plans properly for preseason and the result of the game isnt important... what is important is evaluating your own players... signing a player to gain info on a preseason opponent is less than pointless. It would be counter productive because you are taking up a roster spot that you could be using for someone that you might actually be interested in.

3 hours ago, Chucklez said:

No one really game plans properly for preseason and the result of the game isnt important... what is important is evaluating your own players... signing a player to gain info on a preseason opponent is less than pointless. It would be counter productive because you are taking up a roster spot that you could be using for someone that you might actually be interested in.

Psst.......the word 'shakedownstreet' means sarcasm.

Or, at least it does now.

16 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

I think it's just Grison kicking the tires and looking for a diamond in the rough so to say?

Grigson is always looking for the diamond in the rough. The problem is to much rough and no diamond. He out thinks himself trying to be like a genius or something.

49 minutes ago, superrep1967 said:

Grigson is always looking for the diamond in the rough. The problem is to much rough and no diamond. He out thinks himself trying to be like a genius or something.

He is in a no win situation. He tries to find players just about anywhere you can look and gets ragged on for that. If he sits back and makes no effort to find player he gets ragged on that too. Sorry, I think you attitude about him thinking of himself as a genius is far fetched and narrow minded. All he is doing is his job.

1 hour ago, crazycolt1 said:

He is in a no win situation. He tries to find players just about anywhere you can look and gets ragged on for that. If he sits back and makes no effort to find player he gets ragged on that too. Sorry, I think you attitude about him thinking of himself as a genius is far fetched and narrow minded. All he is doing is his job.

I'm not saying he shouldn't be looking for diamonds in the rough and bringing them in and giving them a try.That is his job I agree with you on that.I'm just saying he's not finding any diamonds that's all.  

1 hour ago, superrep1967 said:

I'm not saying he shouldn't be looking for diamonds in the rough and bringing them in and giving them a try.That is his job I agree with you on that.I'm just saying he's not finding any diamonds that's all.  

I don't agree with that either. We have players who makes plays and contributes to this team. They just didn't walk in off the street.

21 hours ago, krunk said:

Now according to Josh Wilson his numbers were as follows at Delaware:

He first played collegiately at Connecticut, where he played linebacker from 2010-2011. In 2011, he appeared in all 12 games and recorded ten tackles. He then transferred to Delaware, where he made the switch to wide receiver. Between receiver and linebacker, Opoku appeared in 33 games and caught four passes for 65 yards and a touchdown while also recording 19 tackles, two fumble recoveries, and a blocked punt.

Between receiver and linebacker, Opoku appeared in 33 games and caught four passes for 65 yards and a touchdown while also recording 19 tackles, two fumble recoveries, and a blocked punt.

http://www.stampedeblue.com/2016/8/16/12508844/colts-sign-wide-receiver-andrew-opoku-waive-andre-debose

How do you appear in 33 games and catch only 4 passes?  Has more production to speak of at LB.  I think he's actually saying between his time at linebacker in Cincinatti and his time at WR at Delaware it was 33 games.  At WR he caught 4 passes.  Either way there doesn't appear to be much experience at WR.  Way more experience as a Linebacker.

Sweet!  There's the #4 WR we so desperately need after the inevitable injury to at least one of the three legitimate WR we have on our entire roster.

Excellent job in building our WR depth Grigs!  

22 minutes ago, MacDee1975 said:

Sweet!  There's the #4 WR we so desperately need after the inevitable injury to at least one of the three legitimate WR we have on our entire roster.

I'm not so certain he'll even be a WR.  There's not much in his background in terms of experience to me.  Wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at his linebacker experience.    Can't do anything but speculate right now so we'll see.

39 minutes ago, krunk said:

I'm not so certain he'll even be a WR.  There's not much in his background in terms of experience to me.  Wouldn't be surprised if we are looking at his linebacker experience.    Can't do anything but speculate right now so we'll see.

His Linebacker experience isn't exactly stunning either though.....

From what I've heard most of his buzz is due to the fact that Sanu is his cousin and he has been training with him over the offseason to improve his WR skills. 

3 minutes ago, SaturdayAllDay said:

His Linebacker experience isn't exactly stunning either though.....

From what I've heard most of his buzz is due to the fact that Sanu is his cousin and he has been training with him over the offseason to improve his WR skills. 

You're talking about his OLB experience.  I'm speaking more to maybe a Dime or Nickel linebacker role on passing downs.  I'm saying this because of his size and speed to go along with the WR background. .  We could be thinking creatively.  Who knows though?  I honestly don't think he'll be here long so......I'm just analyzing for the heck of it.

5 hours ago, krunk said:

I'll be beyond shocked if this guy ever see's a single snap in a regular season NFL game.

11 hours ago, MacDee1975 said:

Wow, this guy is only one player out of 90. Your going to whine about this dude like he was anything but a camp body at this point? Sorry you cant see the forest for the tree.

OK, we all understand the GM and scout's job in finding talent is hard. What I don't understand is low-level shuffling and churning - continuously cutting and re-signing 3rd or 4th level players unless it is for the PS. No one gets to develop whatever talent they might have - especially during training camp. Bringing in a new body right before the season starts makes very little sense to me. Seems it would be hard to buy in to a system that treats you as just a commodity.

I hope Grigson has learned to be a better judge of talent within the team's concept. I also hope he has learned not to try and micro-manage playing personnel. The verdict is still out, IMO, but there might be optimistic signs. We'll see. 

52 minutes ago, CoachLite said:

OK, we all understand the GM and scout's job in finding talent is hard. What I don't understand is low-level shuffling and churning - continuously cutting and re-signing 3rd or 4th level players unless it is for the PS. No one gets to develop whatever talent they might have - especially during training camp. Bringing in a new body right before the season starts makes very little sense to me. Seems it would be hard to buy in to a system that treats you as just a commodity.

I hope Grigson has learned to be a better judge of talent within the team's concept. I also hope he has learned not to try and micro-manage playing personnel. The verdict is still out, IMO, but there might be optimistic signs. We'll see. 

It's not hard to understand when you keep in mind that looking for that one player who can make a difference never stops. Those players who you say have a hard time buying into a system don't have a system. Some players are brought in for the future so it is a never ending process. Way too many fans think that because a player may not stand out then he is not worth the time. There are only 22 starters but without the best possible depth you can find those 22 players are not going to win a championship. Saying Grigson has learned is no different than any other GM in the league. We notice things because we are Colt fans. This stuff goes on with all NFL teams. It seems like every year there is that one player who comes so called out of nowhere to make a big play that advances in a playoff game or wins a championship. Really, those players didn't come out of nowhere because a GM took a shot at them in pre season.

11 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Wow, this guy is only one player out of 90. Your going to whine about this dude like he was anything but a camp body at this point? Sorry you cant see the forest for the tree.

Except that this guy isn't a camp body;  camp bodies actually have a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing an NFL game.  This is a complete and utter waste of effort.

Grigson may as well have signed Usain Bolt;  then you all would probably be crowing about the plays that Chud could draw up utilizing his speed, and how he might be able to spice up our special teams.

5 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

It's not hard to understand when you keep in mind that looking for that one player who can make a difference never stops. Those players who you say have a hard time buying into a system don't have a system. Some players are brought in for the future so it is a never ending process. Way too many fans think that because a player may not stand out then he is not worth the time. There are only 22 starters but without the best possible depth you can find those 22 players are not going to win a championship. Saying Grigson has learned is no different than any other GM in the league. We notice things because we are Colt fans. This stuff goes on with all NFL teams. It seems like every year there is that one player who comes so called out of nowhere to make a big play that advances in a playoff game or wins a championship. Really, those players didn't come out of nowhere because a GM took a shot at them in pre season.

It's looking for one player, who in working with 10 other players on the field at a time, as a team, can make a difference. There are very rare people - superstars - that individually can make a difference, but the team culture is formed around them.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were two such players, but these are seldom known in advance of their actual career performance.-- only in hindsight. Jeff George was also thought a superstar, but no one could find any team to work with him. So while looking and waiting for one true superstar, a GM still has to form a competitive team. Betting primarily on longshots (so-called diamonds in the rough) isn't a winning strategy (see horse racing).

1 hour ago, CoachLite said:

It's looking for one player, who in working with 10 other players on the field at a time, as a team, can make a difference. There are very rare people - superstars - that individually can make a difference, but the team culture is formed around them.  Tom Brady and Peyton Manning were two such players, but these are seldom known in advance of their actual career performance.-- only in hindsight. Jeff George was also thought a superstar, but no one could find any team to work with him. So while looking and waiting for one true superstar, a GM still has to form a competitive team. Betting primarily on longshots (so-called diamonds in the rough) isn't a winning strategy (see horse racing).

Jeff Saturday was one of those so called camp bodies who got cut in camp. And where do you get the idea that Grigson is betting primarily on long shots? It is a GMs job to look at as many players as possible to find the right combination. Horse racing?? What has that have to do with the NFL? If you want to point a finger at Grigson and say he has done a bad job while only picking the negative that is on you. You may over look any positive you choose to. In reality every players drafted, signed and brought in is a gamble. Grigsons job is to keep the best players available out of 90 players. He cant pick those 53 plus 10 practice squad  players without looking at all the players he can. If you don't think the Colts have been competitive since Grigson has been here I must ask you what team have you been watching? Even as bad as things got last year they were competitive with wins over a undefeated Denver team and was in the playoff hunt right up till the last game of the season.

1 hour ago, MacDee1975 said:

Except that this guy isn't a camp body;  camp bodies actually have a snowball's chance in hell of sniffing an NFL game.  This is a complete and utter waste of effort.

Grigson may as well have signed Usain Bolt;  then you all would probably be crowing about the plays that Chud could draw up utilizing his speed, and how he might be able to spice up our special teams.

That has yet to be determined.