Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Colts select Ryan Kelly, C, Alabama

21isSuperman

Im curious if all of you have scouted Kelly? What if he's just another overhyped Bama player?

I don't mind the pick but many people expect him to "lock down the center position for 10 years". There's definitely a risk and we just invested a lot in a position that's not a premium spot. 

Just curious

• Replies 463
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

12 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

It was a safe pick but he wasn't the BPA. Myles Jack and Lawson are much better players then Kelly.  Premium picks on lineman are a waste. Should have went defense. Grigson needs to go. 

Sometimes common sense trumps BPA.  Luck was a raggedy mess last year.  Got to protect the franchise.

3 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Our left side of the line up to center now is looking pretty darn nice.  Colts still need to shore up that right side though.  Any decent vets left in free agency that might augment the right side of the line?  Don't think a lower round draft pick will be the fix we need for that side for next year but we will see. 

If Good and or Rietz hold down RT, I think we'll be alright. And now Thorton and Mewhort have a guy in the middle in Kelly who should be pretty good at his job and hold his own plus more. Which I think could help them out and obviously our whole O line. And we have an O line coach now who has a pretty good good history with coaching the position.

Just now, coltsfanatic24 said:

Those are outliers and only Pace won a superbowl. Defense wins championships in every sport. Jack and Lawson IMO would have helped out the team a lot more then Kelly. 

I don't disagree about defense.  But we saw what happened when we lost Luck, so protecting Luck is very important.  I'm tired of seeing Holmes look completely incompetent and Harrison botching snaps.  Get someone in there to solidify the OL.  Potential pass rushers in the 2nd round include Myles Jack and Noah Spence, so we could fill both of those needs in the first two rounds

3 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Those are outliers and only Pace won a superbowl. Defense wins championships in every sport. Jack and Lawson IMO would have helped out the team a lot more then Kelly. 

You don't think making Luck better was a good move?  Werner WAS a highly regarded D player when drafted.... how'd that work out ?

20 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Lawson is slow and Jack has a bum knee.

Lawson is actually fast. Grigson drafted for need again. Kelly is a solid player but drafting him won't stop Luck from getting hurt again. The Cowboys had a great O-line and Romo got hurt. I'm fed up with Grigson, so tired of him drafting offense in every 1st round when there's not much talent on defense. 

They know how to run the rock at Alabama, this signing should be very benificial in the short and long terms. Like was said previously, we have been desperate for great center play since Saturday! Welcome to you young man, here's to many pro-bowl visits. :)

42 minutes ago, sixfive said:

I am good with this pick.  The Colts have needed a center for a minute.  Since Jeff Saturday left not a quaility center has been on the team

I am really hoping this relationship (i.e., Luck and Kelly) can be similar to Peyton and Saturday where we have one of the most cerebral QBs and a very alert and talented C's for many years to come.

13 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

If Good and or Rietz hold down RT, I think we'll be alright. And now Thorton and Mewhort have a guy in the middle in Kelly who should be pretty good at his job and hold his own plus more. Which I think could help them out and obviously our whole O line. And we have an O line coach now who has a pretty good good history with coaching the position.

Good points.  This pick gives me more hope for our offense next year.  Our O line has a chance of being pretty decent to good next year if the right side pans out and they all can stay relatively healthy.  If Luck has time to survey the field more it will be refreshing and hopefully allow him to relax  and reduce his turnovers.  Also if Kelly can open up some lanes in the running game, Andrew's life under center just got much easier.

7 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

With his bummed knee, where is the guarentee he'll be the player he was? And yeah Kelly might not have been the sexiest pick, but for his position and what the Colts needed and how he's peformed. He was a very solid pick. He's very good at his repective position. Do you wanna continue to risk Luck getting hammered and possibly suffering an injury he could never come back from??? That's the face of our franchise right there. And about 90% of the reason we've had the success we have so early. Sometimes you gotta make these kinda moves. And there was very good reason behind this one whether you or anyone else that bashes it understands that or not. And was a guy like Myles Jack especially with his knee injury now a can't miss type of prospect? There will be plenty of of good defensive players.in rounds 2 and 3.

13 minutes ago, SP_21 said:

Im curious if all of you have scouted Kelly? What if he's just another overhyped Bama player?

I don't mind the pick but many people expect him to "lock down the center position for 10 years". There's definitely a risk and we just invested a lot in a position that's not a premium spot. 

Just curious

Because none of the available players in the premium spots were worth the 18th pick either.

1 minute ago, DougDew said:

Because none of the available players in the premium spots were worth the 18th pick either.

Didn't answer my question... and Lawson plays a premium position and was available. Also William Jackson III

17 minutes ago, Coltsman1788 said:

Our left side of the line up to center now is looking pretty darn nice.  Colts still need to shore up that right side though.  Any decent vets left in free agency that might augment the right side of the line?  Don't think a lower round draft pick will be the fix we need for that side for next year but we will see. 

Chiefs let one of their tackles go....don't know if he's worth checking out

8 minutes ago, Shafty138 said:

You don't think making Luck better was a good move?  Werner WAS a highly regarded D player when drafted.... how'd that work out ?

Luck could still get hurt because he holds on the ball too long. I like Kelly he's a good player but Lawson and Jack were blue chip defensive players. Werner was a gamble and Lawson was faster but also bigger and stronger. 

8 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Lawson is actually fast. Grigson drafted for need again. Kelly is a solid player but drafting him won't stop Luck from getting hurt again. The Cowboys had a great O-line and Romo got hurt. I'm fed up with Grigson, so tired of him drafting offense in every 1st round when there's not much talent on defense. 

Lawson might run the straight line 40 fast, but he spins, shuffles, steps sideways, shifts his weight like you would expect somebody his size would.   Just my observation. 

1 minute ago, King Colt said:

Superman was stuck in a phone booth so the Colts got Kelly. Great pick as the moderators on the NFL Network said he is a shoe in for All Pro and that is good enough for me (ghosts of Manning & Saturday run through my head). 

All Pro? Really I don't think anybody said that. He's not a bad player but there were much better players with a higher value still available. 

I wonder where the "All Pro" talk is coming from. 

4 minutes ago, coltsfanatic24 said:

Luck could still get hurt because he holds on the ball too long. I like Kelly he's a good player but Lawson and Jack were blue chip defensive players. Werner was a gamble and Lawson was faster but also bigger and stronger. 

And has shoulder issues 

Just now, jvan1973 said:

Not getting your qb killed also wins championships.  

Holding onto the ball too long and not being able to slide are big factors too. 

And if teams like the Jags are putting up 50+ points it won't matter how long Luck has to throw. 

Of course there were better players. But I just got finished watching tape, And i'm so glad Taloy Decker was gone. That dude is in no way shape or form a first rounder. Kelly is a much better lineman. I said the same thing about Morris Claiborne.

Sometimes the people who rank these players are wrong, Decker is slow and sluggish. Kelly needs to play better with a guy in from of his nose, but he is a waay better lineman than Decker to me.

I like the pick, I love it actually after watching some tape.

Just now, SP_21 said:

Holding onto the ball too long and not being able to slide are big factors too. 

And if teams like the Jags are putting up 50+ points it won't matter how long Luck has to throw. 

Is the draft over already?    I was under the impression there were more rounds to come