Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

AFC SOUTH

MarquisJ

2 hours ago, MarquisJ said:

Is it just me or is our division not a joke anymore? Titans and Jax are doing some very interesting things.. Then you have the division winners/ very hungry Texans team that have been wanting our spot for awhile now. Hey i could be exaggerating but don't expect a cake walk anymore!

On one hand competition never hurts, winning out a good division feels better.

On the other hand,let's see how these signings pan out for our rivals, a lot depends on chemistry and coaching. Sometimes parts don't fit together.

1 hour ago, AustinnKaine said:

I love how everyone conveniently forgot the game against Jax that we only won because their kicker missed those field goals at the end of the game....

They're not a threat though... right?

I think we are in more of a wait and see mode. The jags have had promise before and fell on their back sides. I do like what they are doing though, until I see them winning more I'm not worried quite yet.

I do agree with the OP that the division appears (at least on paper) to be getting better

1 hour ago, Colts_Fan12 said:

We have never came close to "winning" Free agency 

with all the talent that has hit the market since Grigson got here our FA have all been a damn big joke

Oh, c'mon now, after Gore & AJ signed last year all the talk was how potent the Colts offense would be...

I'm sure fans of other teams in the AFC South took note of those signings, just as this thread is doing...

27 minutes ago, bababooey said:

That's only cuz Allen used the words "dream team" still can't believe that

HA totally, last season is all his fault for cursing the team...

But many talking heads discussed how 'potent' the offense would be. "How happy Luck had to be with the additions of Gore & AJ, etc"...

1 hour ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think we're all gonna have to except that for the next 1 or possibly 2 years, this team, regardless of how well we do in draft and free agency, is only going to be as good as it's offense. If we can add the C/RG to our o-line, and possibly a future replacement for Gore, the offense will be set.

On the defensive side, there are just too many holes fix in one FA/Draft period. I think the best we can hope for here is to add some beef to the d-line in the draft (maybe even use our first rounder on that), shore up the secondary a bit, and maybe with a little bit of luck we strike gold with a pass rusher. I feel confident about the line & secondary, but I am concerned that pass rush may be nonexistent for us again this year, there just aren't enough options out there right now.

All that being said, that should very well still be enough to win our division, but the rest of the South is definitely catching up.

I disagree. In 2014 the defense was pretty good, but lacked consistency.  The difference between '14 and '15 pretty much comes down to Toler being much worse after a good year, and lack of pass rush. 

The D really only needs a couple of pieces before not being great, but very good. 

2 hours ago, MTC said:

Titans and Jaguars may be winning free agency, but we've yet to see them play on the football field together. They could still suck.

"They could still suck" needs changed to "They will still suck"

15 minutes ago, Freenyfan102 said:

Yeah the colts looked at a long snapper.

Is that how you live? One minute at a time? Is it possible to bring something into the forum other than one line negative comments? The season is only a couple of days old and this is all you can come up with?

17 minutes ago, wig said:

I disagree. In 2014 the defense was pretty good, but lacked consistency.  The difference between '14 and '15 pretty much comes down to Toler being much worse after a good year, and lack of pass rush. 

The D really only needs a couple of pieces before not being great, but very good. 

I probably should've prefaced that by saying I'm fine with us leaning heavily on our offense, that's why we drafted Luck in the first place...

And I actually think the defense was much better than they got credit for last year, especially along the much-improved line. However, the pass rush is still non-existent, and that looks like it'll be a very difficult hole to fill, unless we get really lucky and land an Olivier Vernon type or nab a sleeper in the draft.

1 hour ago, needanoline63 said:

Titans and jags get players like malik Jackson and Demarco Murray. We re-sign Trent Cole and a long snapper. Not a good start to our off season at all

Yeah, 2 dudes who weren't even top 15 at their respective positions last year, and they're both WAY overpaid. Ya know, I take back what I said earlier about the divisional window closing... these other teams in our division are *s, and I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if the Colts sweep the division next year, despite all these "big signings" by HOU/JAX/TEN.

Seriously, did everyone see the ludicrous contract Houston just gave Osweiler???

i  just thought i would create a discussion about what people think of the recent moves, obviousy our division for a long time has been considered the weakest in the NFL, to the point where a lot of people will even say we win it most of time by default lol, even the past few years IMO the NFC East most recently as well as the NFC South have been easily as bad or worse but will still be widely considered better. I think for the next 5 years people are going to continue to downplay the division ( its still the Jags and Titans blah blah blah), but in truth its going to be competetive, not only for us but the rest of the league.

JAX: Blake Bortals- becoming a very solid starting QB.  Recievers- Young and dangerous.  Aquisitions: Malik Jackson- a good and very versatile LB, but sound like he is salty about not being with Denver anymore so who knows. Tashaun Gibson- A dangerous safety who could be a difference make. Chris Ivory- Hardnosed downhill runner the type we have always had trouble with.

Hou: Defense- Brought them to playoffs last year enough sayd. Deandre Hopkins- Scary guy, has the potential to be a top 5 WR. Aquisitions: Brock-IMO way overpayed Houston is gambling that he will be a starting caliber QB, if he is maybe a Luck vs Brock rivalry?. Lamar Miller- Not Arian Foster

Ten: Mariota- Like Brock still up in the air whether or not he will be starting caliber. Defense- Not good. WR-Not good. Aquisitions: Demarco Murray- Im kind of scared of him is the same type one cut downhill runner as RB that have owned us in the past (Foster, MJD).

Anyways i feel Tennessee is easily and far away the worst in the division still, but Jax, Houston and us might be fighting it out to the end for the division, around 10 11 wins, which is also respectful for the rest of the league, IMO the AFC South is no longer anything to laugh about as it has been the last 15 years. Thoughts>?? 

I think the Division will be Good as a whole. It will take 10 wins to win it IMO. I want to see how the Draft goes before I can fully tell how our team may be. FA is overrated, remember last season, most everyone was excited because we got Andre Johnson and that was crap. We have to build through the Draft or make a trade that will impact the team getting younger + getting more talented some how.

1 hour ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I think the Division will be Good as a whole. It will take 10 wins to win it IMO. I want to see how the Draft goes before I can fully tell how our team may be. FA is overrated, remember last season, most everyone was excited because we got Andre Johnson and that was crap. We have to build through the Draft or make a trade that will impact the team getting younger + getting more talented some how.

I can't fathom why people were excited about last year's free agent acquisitions.  Has loading up on older/declining veterens ever worked?

I have NFL Ticket for obvious reasons but one of them is so I am not stuck with a boring game even if its the Colts. I like this this new look AFC South or at least it's trying to be a new look division. The Titans just signed Murray from Philly  among many potential improvements their QB just might turn  out to be a real good one. Competition is good for the teams and good for the fans and television revenue and that is the real important thing to the owners. What is a bit of a shocker is the dissolving of the team in Denver. Talk about jumping ship. I sure hope the Colts are sitting on their hands to see what the other guys are doing so they can better counter the other teams moves.