Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Signing of Ernie Sims LB

AllEisOnMe

Feel free to tell me that. :)

We'll just have to see if he pans out.

Oh he won't. Great fast LB, good tackler and good coverage guy. Definitely will become our starter, perhaps at SAM. He definitely won't pan out

You might call me crazy but I think this guy instantly becomes our best LBer. He has a mean streak and is very aggressive. Maybe he will bring some attitude to our defense.

You're crazy.

(You said it was okay to say that, right?)

Seriously though, I'll reserve judgement, but IMHO I think he's at least an upgrade over Session.

I haven't had a chance to watch much of him in action. Does anyone know if he bites a lot on playaction? To me that was a big downfall for Angerer and a lot of our other LBs. Hopefully our D line and actually hold it down against the run this year so our LBs aren't as responsible for stopping the run and we won't have to worry about it. I'm just sick of giving up passes over the middle.

Must read:

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story/_/id/6804175/nfl-adrian-peterson-wants-know-eagles-linebacker-ernie-sims

YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW the man with the large jaw, but Adrian Peterson does. When we asked our guest editor in chief which opposing player he hates facing most, a guy who deserves more pub, Ernie Sims was the first name he gave. "He's like the Tasmanian Devil," says Peterson, who faced Sims twice a year when both were in the NFC North. "He's extremely athletic, he's in on every play and he's a huge hitter."

If that praise comes as a surprise, blame Detroit. In Sims' first three years, the 2006 first-rounder led the NFC with 370 tackles. He did it playing weakside linebacker (or "Will"), a position known for smaller 'backers who specialize in pass coverage. But the Lions also won just 10 games in that stretch. With that kind of futility comes anonymity, even after Sims was traded to Philadelphia last April.

Colleagues, though, have known Sims as a streaking game-film blur for the past five years. He earned his rep by being one of the league's best linebackers at avoiding congestion, spotting the ball and then tracking down runners. "He has to be one of the most acrobatic players in the league," says Lions running back Kevin Smith. "Sideline to sideline, he's a beast. You can size him up all you want, but if he wants contact, he'll find it. And he hits like a freight train." Adds Eagles center Jamaal Jackson, "Ernie's the fastest linebacker I've ever seen."

-----------—----------

How awesome is that?

I haven't had a chance to watch much of him in action. Does anyone know if he bites a lot on playaction? To me that was a big downfall for Angerer and a lot of our other LBs. Hopefully our D line and actually hold it down against the run this year so our LBs aren't as responsible for stopping the run and we won't have to worry about it. I'm just sick of giving up passes over the middle.

hes a speedy LB, just what we like to have on our team prob will take Angerers spot for a year,if you got run on as much as our group of LB'S did you would bite on every playaction fake too lol..But that being said Ernie should fit right in, wonder what other moves we will make this year

He bites on ALOT of play-action sadly, on both the Eagles and Lions. One recurring complaint about him is him being constantly out of position, to the infuration of his coaches.

I hope a change of scenery and stricter discipline in his game will help him but the Lions ran a Tampa 2 with Rod Marinelli and both they and the Eagles, teams desperate for talent at LB, thought he wasn't worth keeping

Either way it's a good move in my opinion - low risk, potentially high-reward but just wouldn't hold my breath

Are you kidding? My gut tells me Ernie (yes, we're on a first name basis) won't be playing OL.

Once a dynamic young outside linebacker in Rod Marinelli's Tampa 2 defense' date=' Sims returns to a similar scheme in Indianapolis. The Colts lost Clint Session when the Jaguars overpaid, leaving a hole at weak-side linebacker. Sims, 26, will compete for that position with second-year man Kavell Conner. Pat Angerer should slot in at "Sam" with Gary Brackett staying in the middle. [/quote']

I think he will beat out Conner.

Good depth signing, but he shouldn't unseat anyone for a starting job.

I don't know how you figure this. To me, he has just as good a chance as anyone to start as a LB for us. He's been in similar systems. He's a former 1st round pick. He still has a lot of potential.

My guess is we're looking at a LB core of Angerer, Brackett, and Sims or Connor.

Connor has done well with the time given, but Sims will have every opportunity to win a starting job.

well I'm not going to say I told you so, but... I told you so... :)

Congrats you are officially 1 for 100 on the player acquisition predictions. When you officially take a swing and a miss at the 100's of other players you suggested for the Colts, will you also please come on here to tell us how off base you were?

2 articles

EXCERPTS

Sims was the 9th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. He played four seasons for the Detroit Lions before getting traded in 2010 to the Philadelphia Eagles

After a 2010 season, which saw Sims earn 55 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble in Philly's defense, the Eagles cut him.

Eagles fan on Twitter are telling me Sims played well in Cover-2, which the Eagles defense sometimes plays when they aren't gang-rushing the QB.

I'll get some more info on him later today from my buddy Jason Brewer atBleeding Green Nation, a blog that covers the Eagles.

At 6'0, 230 pounds, Sims seems best suited for SAM backer in Indy's hybrid Tampa-2

Linbacker depth was lacking Adding Sims helps in that area, if he can stick to the roster. If Sims does stick, then that does not bode well for Philip Wheeler.

He is know as a dirty player and has been fined and said wont change, he feels attitude sets tone for rest of D

My link

stampede blue had lengthy article other day on linebackers we should look at, 1 was sims

Ernie Sims, formerly with Detroit:

Sims is a guy who has never lived up to his high billing. Given that he is nonetheless a reliable outside linebacker maybe that's a good thing for the Colts as he should be easier to sign. Sims followed up monster rookie season in which he posted 125 tackles with an even better sophomore campaign. Since then, his production has declined.

Believing a change of scenery would be help revitalize his career, Sims was acquired by the Eagles. Sims one year stint never produced the desired results as he was unable to find his niche in the Eagles blitz happy defense.

Know at times for his physical (dirty) play, Sims would help replace the energy and intensity the linebacking corps lost with Session's departure. Unable to command nowhere near his 5-year, $15.735 million rookie contract, Sims may now fit the Colts price range.

My link

2 articles

SORRY EACH TIME I EDITED IT POSTED ANEW

EXCERPTS

Sims was the 9th overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft. He played four seasons for the Detroit Lions before getting traded in 2010 to the Philadelphia Eagles

After a 2010 season, which saw Sims earn 55 tackles, 2 sacks, and a forced fumble in Philly's defense, the Eagles cut him.

Eagles fan on Twitter are telling me Sims played well in Cover-2, which the Eagles defense sometimes plays when they aren't gang-rushing the QB.

I'll get some more info on him later today from my buddy Jason Brewer atBleeding Green Nation, a blog that covers the Eagles.

At 6'0, 230 pounds, Sims seems best suited for SAM backer in Indy's hybrid Tampa-2

Linbacker depth was lacking Adding Sims helps in that area, if he can stick to the roster. If Sims does stick, then that does not bode well for Philip Wheeler.

He is know as a dirty player and has been fined and said wont change, he feels attitude sets tone for rest of D

My link

stampede blue had lengthy article other day on linebackers we should look at, 1 was sims

Sims is a guy who has never lived up to his high billing. Given that he is nonetheless a reliable outside linebacker maybe that's a good thing for the Colts as he should be easier to sign. Sims followed up monster rookie season in which he posted 125 tackles with an even better sophomore campaign. Since then, his production has declined.

Believing a change of scenery would be help revitalize his career, Sims was acquired by the Eagles. Sims one year stint never produced the desired results as he was unable to find his niche in the Eagles blitz happy defense.

Know at times for his physical (dirty) play, Sims would help replace the energy and intensity the linebacking corps lost with Session's departure. Unable to command nowhere near his 5-year, $15.735 million rookie contract, Sims may now fit the Colts price range.

My link

2 articles

EXCERPTS

.My link

My link

HUGE Seminole fan here and would LOVE to see Ernie knock some heads. The problem is that he's gotten use to trying to use his speed to run around blocks instead of hitting them head on. He's fast as any LB and in the right system can cover any TE or even RB and deliver the hit.