Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Signing of Ernie Sims LB

AllEisOnMe

Congrats you are officially 1 for 100 on the player acquisition predictions. When you officially take a swing and a miss at the 100's of other players you suggested for the Colts, will you also please come on here to tell us how off base you were?

Thank you.

If he's so darn good, why weren't teams beating down his door to sign him? Geez, you people are easily amused.

It's all about scheme, my friend. He never really fit into the Eagles blitz-scheme, and the Lions sucked BAD the four years he was there.

He's not a huge name, so he doesn't fit into the other F.A.-Darlings being wined-and-dined, but the man can play.

A for-sure upgrade over Session (whom I--unlike 80% of the people on here after the Jags move--still wish he was on the team. Can you imagine every once in awhile having both of those guys on the outside?), He should start immediately.

Not the best LB in the world, but he's a scheme fit, and was actually one of the couple guys I hoped we'd target this off-season. Suffice to say, I'm stoked. :D

Hidden

this isnt going to add much to the conversation, but i can see ppl watching us on mon night or watever and when they do the player intros saying "i didnt know the colts got ernie sims." not the biggest signing ever, u know, but something that will cause ppl 2 mayb not thing the colts are such wienies on defense anymore.

we needed a high motor guy too!

I like this pick up. He was very good in Detroit's Tampa 2 scheme (and a bad fit for Philly's 4-3 man blitzing D). That bodes well for our current needs. I see him starting on day 1.

Exacy tly as I previously had in 2 articles that reapeatedlt posted each time I edited

'

Now This

Sims, a run-and-hit 'backer who fits the Colts' Tampa-2 scheme well, will likely compete with second-year LB Kavell Conner to fill the void left by the departure of former starter Clint Session to Jacksonville.

My link

I have heard he is undersized. What a surprise we pick him up. Sounds like he likes to hit though & is fast. Line him up & lets see. Probable needed more experience in the LB core. Anderson & now Simms, hum whats got into us. Interesting to see how they pan out! :FBtongue: :FBtongue:

see my page 2 articles

At 6'0, 230 pounds

This is a great pick up, I was worried the Colts wouldn't do anything to our linebacking corp after losing Clint Session, but I think hes a better LB than Session. I think a good pickup now would be Kirk Morrison and maybe move him to the outside.

Didn't read through all the responses but here's our answer for Clint's departure.....and I'm satisfied with the signing. Playing to Clint's level ought to be doable - get ballpark 90-100 tackles and defense a half dozen passes during the year. That'd match Clint's most productive years in Indy, and he's an LB a lot of folks here consider a significant loss. One thing I'm sure of is Sims was had for a fraction of the 30M JAX overpaid, and I belive time will reveal this to be a very smart Colts move.

You might call me crazy but I think this guy instantly becomes our best LBer. He has a mean streak and is very aggressive. Maybe he will bring some attitude to our defense.

I agree that he is simply without a doubt our most TALENTED linebacker, but we'll see if he becomes our best. I do think he could work his way into the starting WSLB spot playing with Brackett at MLB and Angerer at SSLB. Kavell Conner can split some time in there as well.

Overall I love this signing and the signing of Jamaal Anderson. Anderson should be a better version of what Raheem Brock offered us. At least he has the talent to be better.

Now I just hope we round out free agency with the signing of SS Donte Whitner and maybe a solid DT out there.

I like this signing much more then Tommie Harris, this guy did pretty well in the cover 2 when he was in Detroit.

His skills did not really match the Eagles scheme so I'm not going to rail on him to much. There are many cases where a scheme just is not a good fit for a player and when said player gets into the right scheme they flourish.

At worst he is the first linebacker off the bench and at best he is our third starter at linebacker.

Must read:

http://insider.espn.go.com/insider/story/_/id/6804175/nfl-adrian-peterson-wants-know-eagles-linebacker-ernie-sims

YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW the man with the large jaw, but Adrian Peterson does. When we asked our guest editor in chief which opposing player he hates facing most, a guy who deserves more pub, Ernie Sims was the first name he gave. "He's like the Tasmanian Devil," says Peterson, who faced Sims twice a year when both were in the NFC North. "He's extremely athletic, he's in on every play and he's a huge hitter."

If that praise comes as a surprise, blame Detroit. In Sims' first three years, the 2006 first-rounder led the NFC with 370 tackles. He did it playing weakside linebacker (or "Will"), a position known for smaller 'backers who specialize in pass coverage. But the Lions also won just 10 games in that stretch. With that kind of futility comes anonymity, even after Sims was traded to Philadelphia last April.

Colleagues, though, have known Sims as a streaking game-film blur for the past five years. He earned his rep by being one of the league's best linebackers at avoiding congestion, spotting the ball and then tracking down runners. "He has to be one of the most acrobatic players in the league," says Lions running back Kevin Smith. "Sideline to sideline, he's a beast. You can size him up all you want, but if he wants contact, he'll find it. And he hits like a freight train." Adds Eagles center Jamaal Jackson, "Ernie's the fastest linebacker I've ever seen."

-----------—----------

How awesome is that?

Awesome!! I think he'll fit in perfectly with the Colts scheme.

why must i always do the dirty work around here?

allow me to post some excerpts from Lions/Eagles fans on from another forum:

Eagles:

He's soooooooooooooooooooooo baddddddddddd
He's fast but over runs plays, he takes horrible angles, and bites on play action all the time.

He would be a great player if he had a good head on his shoulders... but he doesn't and that is something that is hard to teach to someone this late in their career.

AWFUL! good riddance. Hopefully the Colts can get something out of him because we sure as heck couldn't.
He could quite possibly have the lowest football IQ in the entire NFL. The dude is a complete *.

So happy he is gone

Worst linebacker we have had starting in a while...and thats saying something, have you seen our linebackers the past 10 or so years?

Overran plays, got lost in coverage, missed tackles, is a penalty risk because he just throws body parts around stupidly and getting beat in coverage (facemasks, PI, illegal hits).

55 tackles from a 15 game starting WILL backer is awful. Add in just 5 plays at or behing the line of scrimmage (2 sacks, 3 stuffs) shows how awful he is.

Lions:

Sims was productive when he was here, but he always has had that habit of overrunning plays and it will cost you some big plays.

Use him on special teams and he'll probably kill someone, though.

lol so he was the same for you lot after he left us

He had a good rookie season then just went downhill, over pursies, takes awful angles and cant shed blockers...

Like watching a trainwreck at times

He was the same way in Detroit and it was frustrating. He has all the physical tools to be successful. But he's a mental midget on the field. He takes bad angles, he overruns plays, he takes himself out of so many plays you can't do anything but shake your head.

The tampa 2 does alot of things, but it can't cover stupid. I hope he finds a home in Indy, but I wouldn't count on him being there long.

still feel like celebrating?

yup. As I stated earlier. I would have been happy with any addition to the defense that could help in any way (I even lobbied for cardboard cutouts played randomly on the field) ALl of these recent signings have been low risk high reward scenarios and those are the best deals to make. We'll truly see how it plays out in a few months.

lol You post the opinions of random hair-lips on some message board as proof?

Gimmie a break, crunk-juice. Do you always take advice from random dunces, from Detriot of all places?

We get folks on this board all the time, like everyday, that post the most hair-brained and senseless opinions of Colts players. I've heard Addai described as the worst running back in the NFL, right here on our forum.

Eagles:

Lions:

No doubt we should wait (a novel concept) at least until mid-late season to assess Ernie Sims and how he helps the Colts at LB and/or Special Teams.

But are you seriously using Eagles fan forum quotes to make a point?? They could hybrid a LB out of Lawrence Taylor and Ray Lewis....and those alcoholic miscreants in Philly would find something to complain about.

The Colts are making reasonable veteran FA signings that don't appear to cost a pile of money and target some needs....and it's worth applauding the effort.

Nothing wrong with having high hopes.

He's decent. My family in MI are big Lions' fans. They liked him from '07-'09 or so, and he kind of dropped off the face of the earth after that. Still a good player, but nothing spectacular.

He did play in a different scheme in Philly, after '09, so hopefully that was a big part of his drop off.

Absolutely. During his time in Detroit (similar scheme), he was more productive than any LB has been in Indy for years! I'm sure he has weaknesses. Most players do. I can't get wrapped up in a bunch of negative, uncredited, interwebz posts...by fans of his former teams, to boot!

ummm i think we should defer to fans of his previous teams. by the way, EVERY SINGLE EAGLES AND LIONS FAN IN THE THREAD had something negative to say about him. that should tell you something.

how many times have you watched Sims? how many times have you broken down his plays? you guys just see his high tackle numbers and think they mean anything. ask Cato June how much tackling stats matter.

If Jags fans were to come on here and try to find recent topics on Clint Session, they would think we hated the guy's guts.

Besides that, there are loads of people on this very forum that don't agree with each other on player evaluations, so why would I blindly read posts with no context and accept them as gospel? That's just dumb.

how many times have you watched Sims? how many times have you broken down his plays? you guys just see his high tackle numbers and think they mean anything.

Umm actually, I've seen a lot of Sims. Between NFL Sunday ticket and NFLN Rewind, several National Televised games for the Eagles last season, and the Lions playing every thanksgiving(lol), I've seen a lot of him.

He's not perfect, but not every linebacker is Ray Lewis.

Interesting comments from Sims today

“Everything happens for a reason,” he said. “That’s what Coach Caldwell and I talked about. I actually took a visit here coming out of the draft. Unfortunately, I wasn’t drafted here, I was drafted to the Detroit Lions and I have learned a lot since then and it turned out I am back in the place I need to be. I am going to make the best out of it. I am really excited.”

Article

I know players talk and sometimes it is just talk but I thought the phrasing was interesting. Unfortunately is an odd word to use especially considering the difference in pay between where he was drafted and what it would have been had the Colts drafted him. Then saying "in the place I need to be." that word "need" makes me wonder what he and Caldwell talked about.

ummm i think we should defer to fans of his previous teams. by the way, EVERY SINGLE EAGLES AND LIONS FAN IN THE THREAD had something negative to say about him. that should tell you something.

Yes and no. Look how fans here have talked about CJ since he left. Or a better example Session. Before Session signed with the Jags most fans on here talked about how he was one of the must sign, after he left the feelings changed dratically and many of those same people were saying that he wasn't that good anyway.

For Sims, I defer to my cousin who; is a Lions fan, played and started at a Div II school, was asked to be a student coach when he was finished, now coaches HS football. After the Colts signed him, I sent him an e-mail to ask about Sims and he said he is a superfast LB, who knows how to deliver a hit when he tackles. Said his biggest weaknesses are can't really fight off blockers once he's engaged so he tends to try and run around them rather than through them. He said his first two years at Detroit he played very disciplined and if he knew he wasn't going to make the tackle he'd sacrifice himself to take out blockers so someone else could make the play. Said when they changed coaches after the winless season the coaches had the LBers play a completely different style than what they had been used to. He said in that system with his speed and hitting ability he would have done better if they moved him to SS. He said his biggest strength is flowing to the ball and making the play once he's there. He said he doesn't make too many read and react mistakes but can get a little too aggressive in pass coverage thinking he can make the INT rather than just focusing on hitting the receiver as the ball gets there.

Said he didn't really see any Philly games but based on what he saw while he was at Detroit he felt Sims should be a great pick-up for the Colts and will be shocked if he's not the day 1 starter.

Me, I don't know, all I can go by is his stats, which have not been impressive for a while but I do trust my cousin's analysis of him.

Gimmie a break, crunk-juice. Do you always take advice from random dunces, from Detriot of all places?

We get folks on this board all the time, like everyday, that post the most hair-brained and senseless opinions of Colts players. I've heard Addai described as the worst running back in the NFL, right here on our forum.

Perfect. Couldn't have said it better myself.

+1 On that one, these are just bare fans frustrated cause of their sucky team trying to blame it on one guy, last time i remember Sims had consecutive 100+ tackle season from the start of his rookie yr.... when you have that how can you not know where the ball is lol, these fans are just mad.

how many times have you watched Sims? how many times have you broken down his plays? you guys just see his high tackle numbers and think they mean anything. ask Cato June how much tackling stats matter.

Coach crunk juice here lol.... Cato june was horrible at tackling, ernie isnt, cato june played saftey in college, ernie played his original position... Forget what other fans say and lets all see what happens.