Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we don't invest heavily In at least 2 players in FA...

Freeupfreeney

We might as well gear up for an early playoff exit again.

Alex Mack needs to be our number 1 player targeted. Then Zane Beadles if he leaves.

Or Alex Mack and Kruger or Mario Williams if they Leave.

We must have a Shut down corner, and Solid Pass Rusher a Center and a Guard...IT's all we need.

Stop bargain shopping and get the guys who make a difference.

The last time we went and got Booger McFarland, a type of fat DT we been begging for years. We won a Superbowl. Every one know we need a Guard a Center and a Pass Rusher.

Every very successful team had 2...count em 2 very good shut down corners last year. Lets add one more. Take a damn chance FO.

Since were more likely to have a productive pass rusher first year or guard I say we go that direction in the draft.

This team is simultaneously getting older and less productive as the years have past. We need to take a chance, or just keep sailing on a sinking ship.

14 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Alex Mack needs to be our number 1 player targeted. Then Zane Beadles if he leaves.

We must have a Shut down corner, and Solid Pass Rusher a Center and a Guard...IT's all we need.

The last time we went and got Booger McFarland, a type of fat DT we been begging for years. We won a Superbowl. Every one know we need a Guard a Center and a Pass Rusher.

Every very successful team had 2...count em 2 very good shut down corners last year. Lets add one more. Take a damn chance FO.

Since were more likely to have a productive pass rusher first year or guard I say we go that direction in the draft.

This team is simultaneously getting older and less productive as the years have past. We need to take a chance, or just keep sailing on a sinking ship.

I think your future as a NFL GM is in serious jeopardy.

Aside from wildly off base needs / priorities and frankly just awful conclusions, I see nothing wrong with your post.

18 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

I guess you overlooked the fact there is a salary cap.

34 minutes ago, Freeupfreeney said:

Most "difference makers" in free agency make huge money. Huge. Shut down CB and Pass Rusher are two of the highest paid positions on the field besides franchise QB. The teams you mentioned having two shut down corners soon wont because one of their CB's is likely in a rookie contract and when he wants bank it'll be tough or impossible to keep 2 shut down CB's on the payroll. Same with pass rushers. If you have two, like Von Miller and Demarcus Ware you have to get creative with your roster. Denver will try to keep Von Miller but it's gonna be interesting to see how they do it.

I say we sign few free agents, and accumulate as many draft picks as possible.  That will always be the lifeblood of a good team and the best plan for longterm, sustained success.

Of course, your scouting department needs to be strong.  But in theory, this is what we should be doing.

Well we definitely have to bring in a couple impact players. I think we should sign Alex Mack, Jeff Allen, and Sean Smith. Then draft a couple EDGE rusher in the first couple rounds. If we don't bring in a few impact players, you're right. We are in trouble. If we're dumb enough to go with Holmes and Thornton then we're down right stupid.

5 hours ago, jlid said:

Name one free agent in the last couple years that changed teams for big money, then lived up to that contract and I'll get on board with your plan

Cliff Avrail, Michael Bennett - Seahawks - Result - Won SB

Derrell Revis - Patriots. Result - Won SB

Aqib Talib, Demarcus Ware, TJ Ward - Broncos - Result - Won SB

We can bring in an impact EDGE rusher with our 1st round pick. I think Spence will be there, and I see him as a guy who will make an impact from day 1. But I still wouldn't mind signing a vet like Tamba Hali, or Demarcus Ware if he's released as a cap casualty. Signing Sean Smith, Alex Mack, and Tamba Hali in free agency. Then drafting Noah Spence and Cody Whitehair with our first 2 picks would drastically change our team too. We have to bring in a Dominant pass rusher  OR TWO, who can put consistent pressure on the QB and put up big sack numbers. We have to bring in a Center and a Guard, and we have to bring in a good Corner to pair with Vontae. Between the draft and free agency we can doo all of those things. Getting a DT like Butler in the 2nd/3rd round, or a safety like Joseph in the 2nd/3rd would be icing on the cake.

1 hour ago, Malakai432 said:

And these two overpaid free agents are going to take this mediocre Colts team to the super bowl how??????????????

A lot of the key pieces are already there. We have an elite QB with 3 good receivers and good TE's. And we even have a good piece or 2 on D. For example. Signing Osemele and Smith wouldn't do the trick by itself. But then we have the draft. If we could then get a EDGE guy at 18, a C in the 2nd, and a DT or a S in the 3rd, we should be a SB contender.

1 minute ago, COLTS449 said:

I understand where your coming from but those players were added to teams that were already stacked. The largest part of the Seahawks roster were still under the rookie salary cap. The Seahawks hit a couple of home runs with the draft. Revis was not really that big of an impact for the money with the Patriots. I do agree with the Bronco's but their roster was already stacked as well. So far across the board the Colts are not stacked. The talent level from the starters to the second tier drops off a lot. We have to work on depth IMO before we can spend any high dollars on free agents. The Colts over achieved with the talent they had and reality set in this last season and the lack of talent showed.

4 minutes ago, crazycolt1 said:

I understand where your coming from but those players were added to teams that were already stacked. The largest part of the Seahawks roster were still under the rookie salary cap. The Seahawks hit a couple of home runs with the draft. Revis was not really that big of an impact for the money with the Patriots. I do agree with the Bronco's but their roster was already stacked as well. So far across the board the Colts are not stacked. The talent level from the starters to the second tier drops off a lot. We have to work on depth IMO before we can spend any high dollars on free agents. The Colts over achieved with the talent they had and reality set in this last season and the lack of talent showed.

If we sign 2-3 major free agents, and then Grigs hits big time with his first 3 or 4 picks we can be pretty stacked ourselves. I agree those teams were in much better shape than us already. But here's another example. We sign Sean Smith, Alex Mack, and Jeff Allen in free agency, and then trade for Kiko Alonso. Then our OL has went from mediocre to elite overnight. And Sean Smith paired with Davis would be one of the best duo's in the NFL. Then with Alonso we'd finally have a young playmaker at the ILB position (assuming he's back to himself) Then we'd still have to hit big in the draft. If we added a impact EDGE rusher, a ball hawking S, and a big beast DT with our first 3 picks, then our D could be very, very good. We already have some nice pieces on D in Davis, Anderson, Langford, Freeman, Adams, and hopefully Mathis. If we add 2 impact offensive lineman, and Luck's back to his old self we could have the number 1 offense.

13 minutes ago, COLTS449 said:

If we sign 2-3 major free agents, and then Grigs hits big time with his first 3 or 4 picks we can be pretty stacked ourselves. I agree those teams were in much better shape than us already. But here's another example. We sign Sean Smith, Alex Mack, and Jeff Allen in free agency, and then trade for Kiko Alonso. Then our OL has went from mediocre to elite overnight. And Sean Smith paired with Davis would be one of the best duo's in the NFL. Then with Alonso we'd finally have a young playmaker at the ILB position (assuming he's back to himself) Then we'd still have to hit big in the draft. If we added a impact EDGE rusher, a ball hawking S, and a big beast DT with our first 3 picks, then our D could be very, very good. We already have some nice pieces on D in Davis, Anderson, Langford, Freeman, Adams, and hopefully Mathis. If we add 2 impact offensive lineman, and Luck's back to his old self we could have the number 1 offense.

Your wish list is pretty impressive but I just don't see all that happening. The Colts are getting ready to sign Luck to a huge contract and for all your wish list to happen I just don't think there will be enough money. In reality it takes time for 2nd - 5th round draft picks to pan out. Very seldom players who are picked in those rounds make a sudden impact. Do we sell the farm for a one season gamble? Or do we build a team that is strong for a longer period of time? High dollar free agents are just short term expensive band aids.

Let's ignore the litany of numerous teams that have gone big in FA, or on a few pieces to push them over the top and ended up being complete messes and go full hog spending everything in FA!

Successful teams are built via the draft and then add FA to patch up holes. 

Let's take the examples raise above:

All these teams had also drafted well for at least a few years preceding these signings and then plugged in the above. 

Take the QB position out the equation as that's an outlier but in general a successful team ain't just the 21 starters, you need depth, and you can't have a decent amount of depth if you've tied up all your money in overpaying FAs (all FAs are overpaid). The CBA and rookie scale rewards teams that draft well even more.

Long story short, spending in FA when you have a mediocre roster ain't the answer, we need to draft better.

47 minutes ago, SteelDragon said:

We're paying the price now for poor draft selections from the last few years. It'll be interesting to see what direction Grigs goes this year 

IMO the drafted players have not been that bad. Luck, Fleener, Allen, Hilton, Ballard, Thorton, Holmes, Werner, Hughes, Mewhort, Moncrief, Dorsett, Anderson, Geathers, Parry and Good That is about the average for any of the teams. A couple of these players didn't work out for the Colts but there is also a couple who where they were picked worked out well. After Grigson's first draft it wasn't as good but hitting a home run makes it seem worse than it really is.

18 hours ago, theanarchist said:

Most "difference makers" in free agency make huge money. Huge. Shut down CB and Pass Rusher are two of the highest paid positions on the field besides franchise QB. The teams you mentioned having two shut down corners soon wont because one of their CB's is likely in a rookie contract and when he wants bank it'll be tough or impossible to keep 2 shut down CB's on the payroll. Same with pass rushers. If you have two, like Von Miller and Demarcus Ware you have to get creative with your roster. Denver will try to keep Von Miller but it's gonna be interesting to see how they do it.

they will keep Von, but doubt can also keep Malik Jackson unless they release Ware

Maliik would be a great addition

13 hours ago, BProland85 said:

If I could pick only 2 guys for the Colts to sign I'd pick RT Mitchel Schwartz and CB Trumaine Johnson.

There ya go. I do agree adding Two difference makers sounds right to me. Pay`em!!

But WHO will pick US as their team. There is some Huge Cap $$ available out there.
 I will go with TJ as my 1st choice.

CB T Johnson sounds great.
   Love any one of Damon Harrison, Danny Trevathon, Oliver Vernon  :scoregood:

More often than not the best FA signing aren't the big money/big names but the lesser guys who can give you key plays when you're stretched thin towards the end of the season. 

Painful certainly but take Freeney as a (bad) example, sure he didn't pan out in SD, but gets picked up for next to nothing and used correctly (role player) the production/$ is amazing.

From a Colts perspective I tell you that on the best FA moves Grigson ever made was Donnie Avery. I think it was about ~$700K and we got nearly 800 yards out of him. 

I'm not saying don't go out there and splash the cash for the right guy, but don't do it to the overall detriment of the roster. 

22 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

There ya go. I do agree adding Two difference makers sounds right to me. Pay`em!!

But WHO will pick US as their team. There is some Huge Cap $$ available out there.
 I will go with TJ as my 1st choice.

CB T Johnson sounds great.
   Love any one of Damon Harrison, Danny Trevathon, Oliver Vernon  :scoregood:

I think Trevathon is one of the best ILB's in the game. I think he's underrated. We have bigger needs that ILB but if the team cuts DQ or lets Freeman walk I really would like to see Trevathon as a Colt.

19 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jackson thinks he is in the $12-$13M per range, are you In?

I am no cap expert but have watched every game Peyton has played as Colt & Bronco , thus seen Mailk from day 1, every year he gets better  whether it was a 4-3 or 3-4 D- not just in rushing / stopping the run but he has a knack for swapping down passes as well and not just a few

Can our coaches keep maintaining his play & elevate him further is a ? , he is a team player with excellent character

5 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I think Trevathon is one of the best ILB's in the game. I think he's underrated. We have bigger needs that ILB but if the team cuts DQ or lets Freeman walk I really would like to see Trevathon as a Colt.

agreedf, same as in above post , seen every play, can cover recivers, leading tackler, fast sideline to sidline  etc, does have injury history but not at all last year

6 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

I think he's a fine football player, but when you're playing on that D it's darn hard to shine! 

10 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

More often than not the best FA signing aren't the big money/big names but the lesser guys who can give you key plays when you're stretched thin towards the end of the season. 

Painful certainly but take Freeney as a (bad) example, sure he didn't pan out in SD, but gets picked up for next to nothing and used correctly (role player) the production/$ is amazing.

From a Colts perspective I tell you that on the best FA moves Grigson ever made was Donnie Avery. I think it was about ~$700K and we got nearly 800 yards out of him. 

it is true many a gem was a FA cheap pickup needing a better system or fresh start elsewhere

Hey Denvers Brandon . Marshall was a FA sent to practice squad and look what happened rather fast

Just now, SteelCityColt said:

I think he's a fine football player, but when you're playing on that D it's darn hard to shine! 

He shined a lot before last year. Whenever I saw Denver over the last few years this guy was making plays. He'll make someone a good cornerstone of their defense for several years to come.

42 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Jackson thinks he is in the $12-$13M per range, are you In?

23 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

22 minutes ago, theanarchist said:

Thats huge $. Not sure it would be wise to spend that much on a 3-4 DE. That s more like elite Rush :LB money. Something we need badly.

where we draft there  should be  an excellent ILG as well as many DL's

so think we sign who is berst fit at right price as many with  greet : " POTEMTIAL "  on DL, at CB & reggie Raagland ILB  from alabama could be there 

Bye must run know, whatever we do Go Colts

12 hours ago, crazycolt1 said:

Revis was a huge part of the Pats D took away teams number 1 target . Look up the stats on the few series he missed shocking .