Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

If we don't invest heavily In at least 2 players in FA...

Freeupfreeney

36 minutes ago, VaAllDay757 said:

What is up with this alex mack obsession? He's not worth that big money.....grigs should keep his eye on wilkerson he would be a great addition to the defense 

I agree completely on Mack. Irsay said he wants to get younger so why would Indy add a center older than 30 that is going to cost a pretty penny? Mack is a guy you add when you are very close to winning a superbowl. Indy is not there yet. They need to add a plethora of talent to the defense before that happens.

If Indy signed a free agent center I'd rather it be Stefen Wisnewski since he is 3 years younger.

Regarding Wilkerson, I don't think he'll be available and besides this draft class is rich in DL talent so why not just add 2 players on the DL via the draft?

54 minutes ago, BProland85 said:

I agree completely on Mack. Irsay said he wants to get younger so why would Indy add a center older than 30 that is going to cost a pretty penny? Mack is a guy you add when you are very close to winning a superbowl. Indy is not there yet. They need to add a plethora of talent to the defense before that happens.

If Indy signed a free agent center I'd rather it be Stefen Wisnewski since he is 3 years younger.

Regarding Wilkerson, I don't think he'll be available and besides this draft class is rich in DL talent so why not just add 2 players on the DL via the draft?

True but wilkerson is proven to be great talent we had plenty of time to rebuild now something must give keep players heathly and improve the lineup

I still want us to be aggressive in free agency, but we need to sign difference makers. I'm all on board right now and can't wait to see kind of moves we pull with Pagano and Grigson working as one.

I'm pretty sure Chudzinski and Alex Mack had a solid relationship in Clevelenad.. Who knows, I believe Mack showed interest in the Colts two years ago. It's a good possibility if he hits the open market.

On February 19, 2016 at 1:22 AM, COLTS449 said:

A lot of the key pieces are already there. We have an elite QB with 3 good receivers and good TE's. And we even have a good piece or 2 on D. For example. Signing Osemele and Smith wouldn't do the trick by itself. But then we have the draft. If we could then get a EDGE guy at 18, a C in the 2nd, and a DT or a S in the 3rd, we should be a SB contender.

I sure hope you are right!  

On ‎2‎/‎20‎/‎2016 at 3:21 PM, VaAllDay757 said:

Being "aggressive" these past couple of years hasn't done the job so why not be conservative on free agency and try to sign one or two players then be more focus on the draft

We should do both. Be aggressive in FA, and focus on the draft. We were aggressive in all the wrong ways last offseason. Signing old guys like AJ and Cole, when we should have signed young difference makers. Yeah we need to build through the draft. But we also need to add a few impact young free agents considering our roster. I know a lot of people are against trying to fix every major issue in 1 offseason, but its not impossible by any means. Signing Sean Smith and Kelechi Osemele would greatly improve 2 areas of need for the next 4-5 years. That's 2 premium, all pro type players. Then we'd need to hit big with our first 3-4 picks in the draft. We could get a couple EDGE guys, our starting Center, and a big run stuffing NT hopefully. The key is. Hitting big in the draft. We'd need that EGDE rusher and our Center to have early impacts as starters.

On 2/18/2016 at 3:46 PM, Freeupfreeney said:

We might as well gear up for an early playoff exit again.

Alex Mack needs to be our number 1 player targeted. Then Zane Beadles if he leaves.

Or Alex Mack and Kruger or Mario Williams if they Leave.

We must have a Shut down corner, and Solid Pass Rusher a Center and a Guard...IT's all we need.

Stop bargain shopping and get the guys who make a difference.

The last time we went and got Booger McFarland, a type of fat DT we been begging for years. We won a Superbowl. Every one know we need a Guard a Center and a Pass Rusher.

Every very successful team had 2...count em 2 very good shut down corners last year. Lets add one more. Take a damn chance FO.

Since were more likely to have a productive pass rusher first year or guard I say we go that direction in the draft.

This team is simultaneously getting older and less productive as the years have past. We need to take a chance, or just keep sailing on a sinking ship.

Just because you do this on Madden doesn't mean it works that way in the real world.

On ‎2‎/‎19‎/‎2016 at 10:32 AM, bayone said:

I am no cap expert but have watched every game Peyton has played as Colt & Bronco , thus seen Mailk from day 1, every year he gets better  whether it was a 4-3 or 3-4 D- not just in rushing / stopping the run but he has a knack for swapping down passes as well and not just a few

Can our coaches keep maintaining his play & elevate him further is a ? , he is a team player with excellent character

I like him too....my only issue is that when you play on an DL next to Pro bowlers Derek Wolfe, Von Miller, and D Ware your going to get A LOT of one on ones and very little game planning attention. I do agree he is a very good lineman...disruptive in the run and pass but we have no where near the protection to line up beside him. I think on our team he may very well see double teams. For the money he is likely to command I would rather see that invested in a pass rusher or corner. I think we have a decent nucleus of players on the DL....and certainly if Arthur stays we won't be spending big there. Langford, Perry, and Anderson did well. If Arthur can play we should be fine...if not I think we can find a decent value proposition like Fairley etc that we could go with just fine and save money. We certainly can't get the players the OP suggested but there is that tier down that I think we can grab one or two guys to help us....the rest is going to have to be built in the draft and through development (Smith, Geathers, Anderson, Perry etc).

Two quick points:

One, we are going to have plenty of cap room. Once we release Cole, Johnson, and a few others we will have somewhere in the neighborhood of 40-50M in cap room. Sup backed me up on these numbers, in fact he thinks it will be around 50M once all the cuts are made. We will have room for 2 quality FA's, but I would prefer not breaking the bank. It does not work. Mack is the only player I would really like, due to the fact we need the glue to hold the line together.

Second: Any teams who win in FA always seem to lose. The teams mentioned used FA to get a few quality pieces to fill in deficiencies. They did not go overboard.

If you need an example, Miami wins the FA offseason each year, and what has it got them. Two out of the last three years they have made huge acquisitions, and ended up cutting them. This year, everyone wanted Suh, and I would have loved him, if we had that kind of cap space. Now they are looking at a 28M cap charge this year, and he has not helped at all. In fact I could argue he has hurt them. FA is all about chemistry. Don't mess with the chemistry of a team.

On 2/19/2016 at 11:26 AM, SteelCityColt said:

More often than not the best FA signing aren't the big money/big names but the lesser guys who can give you key plays when you're stretched thin towards the end of the season. 

Painful certainly but take Freeney as a (bad) example, sure he didn't pan out in SD, but gets picked up for next to nothing and used correctly (role player) the production/$ is amazing.

From a Colts perspective I tell you that on the best FA moves Grigson ever made was Donnie Avery. I think it was about ~$700K and we got nearly 800 yards out of him. 

I'm not saying don't go out there and splash the cash for the right guy, but don't do it to the overall detriment of the roster. 

I'd put Mike Adams way above Avery if we're talking about production versus salary. Adams made clutch plays over and over again, and wasn't paid much more than Avery.

9 hours ago, masterlock said:

I'd put Mike Adams way above Avery if we're talking about production versus salary. Adams made clutch plays over and over again, and wasn't paid much more than Avery.

I'd not say way above but he certainly outplayed his contract. I just like him as a player too. It would have been nice to have seen him paired with say Bethea back there. 

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

I like him too....my only issue is that when you play on an DL next to Pro bowlers Derek Wolfe, Von Miller, and D Ware your going to get A LOT of one on ones and very little game planning attention. I do agree he is a very good lineman...disruptive in the run and pass but we have no where near the protection to line up beside him. I think on our team he may very well see double teams. For the money he is likely to command I would rather see that invested in a pass rusher or corner. I think we have a decent nucleus of players on the DL....and certainly if Arthur stays we won't be spending big there. Langford, Perry, and Anderson did well. If Arthur can play we should be fine...if not I think we can find a decent value proposition like Fairley etc that we could go with just fine and save money. We certainly can't get the players the OP suggested but there is that tier down that I think we can grab one or two guys to help us....the rest is going to have to be built in the draft and through development (Smith, Geathers, Anderson, Perry etc).

though some game planning for him I am sure was done to some extent when planning for runs up the middle especially , of course no where near compared to that attention given to the

Von / Ware combination

not just the D line , but the DBs forcing the QB to hold onto the ball longer also helped him get penetration

Being on a line like that I am sure it also helped even Miller & yes Malik will likely cost money or he'd stay in Denver if it they offered something close to that by other teams, but he has indicated on NFL network he'd like to get paid

2 hours ago, Defjamz26 said:

Everyone keeps saying we need young players, but then wants us to sign Mack who is 30. I don't get it. And he's coming off of an injury.

I don't get it. 

I doubt we sign Mack. Jacksonville tried to get him the last time offering big money so I see no reason if they still like him having the most cap to spend he wouldn't be a key piece of their off season plans. I see little to no way we sign the guy.

On 2/22/2016 at 3:42 PM, dgambill said:

Eric Goodman ‎@EricGoodman

NFL Source close to #Broncos Malik negotiations:

Broncos have come up from 3 years, $24M to 5 years, $50Mish

Jackson wants 5 years, $75M

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/2/23/11101238/report-broncos-offered-malik-jackson-a-five-year-50-million-dollar

I'd imagine players that could be on our radar that might not be top free agents at their position could be

DL/OLB Fairley, Irving, Upshaw, Ayers

LB B Marshall

S Thurmond

CB Boykins, Hayward

OL Boone

RB Ivory, Thomas

some of the players of this caliber/level I would imagine would be what what we might be able to afford and maybe bring in a few to complement our draft. Right now though its a long way out and it will be hard to say what the market will do.

22 minutes ago, bayone said:

Eric Goodman ‎@EricGoodman

NFL Source close to #Broncos Malik negotiations:

Broncos have come up from 3 years, $24M to 5 years, $50Mish

Jackson wants 5 years, $75M

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/2/23/11101238/report-broncos-offered-malik-jackson-a-five-year-50-million-dollar

Wow!!! Yeah I think he may walk....perhaps Oakland will give him that money. They certainly have cap space and have his old coach. I can't imagine we would be interested at that price.

with all the free agents Denver has if that # is true I am somewhat  surprised offered 50

Though Elway has played the cap game well

Money from Peyton going is just going to Brock I asseme

but Malik would stay with denver article " THINKS " if offered some where between , still 12-13 Million is alot, when Von will get far more

Ir will be interesting to see how Elway manages but frankly dont care once Peyton gone

13 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Wow!!! Yeah I think he may walk....perhaps Oakland will give him that money. They certainly have cap space and have his old coach. I can't imagine we would be interested at that price.

with all the free agents Denver has if that # is true I am somewhat  surprised offered 50

Money from Peyton going is just going to Brock I assume

but Malik would stay with denver article " THINKS " if offered some where between , still 12-13 Million is alot, when Von will get far more

It will be interesting to see how Elway manages but frankly dont care once Peyton gone

I do know they want Mailk more than any other Free agent save Von & Probably Brock - but also I have read DL's into round 2 & some in 3 would be worthy of a 1st round grade in any other draft

so with all that depth , pay your other FA snd draft one

We'll have around 50 million. That's plenty enough to extend Luck, bring back Fleener Freeman, and Vinny, and sign 3 impact free agents.

Kelechi Osemele

Trumaine Johnson

Damon Harrison

Kiko Alonso (Trade)

Noah Spence

Karl Joseph

Nick Martin

Jonathan Williams

Victor Ochi

Rashard Robinson (Could be the biggest steal in the draft. Didn't play this year and had a lot of off field issues, been suspended indefinitely etc. If not for the off the field stuff he'd probably be a 2nd rounder)

22 hours ago, bayone said:

Money from Peyton going is just going to Brock I assume

It will be interesting to see how Elway manages but frankly dont care once Peyton gone

I do know they want Mailk more than any other Free agent save Von & Probably Brock - but also I have read DL's into round 2 & some in 3 would be worthy of a 1st round grade in any other draft

so with all that depth , pay your other FA snd draft one

Yeah that amount is pretty surprising. Considering the depth they have on the DL I would rather pay to keep their LBs (Marshall is a must). I'm not sure what Brock will command but I'd expect a 3 yr deal heavily incentive laden that probably starts at 12 million. I'd imagine Von is all but tagged and Travathon is probably going to walk. I'd be very surprised if Ware comes back too. Him and Clady I think are very likely to get cut...of course with Peyton retiring likely. I'd imagine they even go to DT and ask him to restructure his deal possibly too....he definitely was not earning that paycheck. Obviously Elway has drafted well so some of those guys will be getting paid soon (ala Seattle) and they can't keep that depth....the question is can they sustain the good drafts or will they fall off like Seattle did. You can only get lucky for so long.

I agree. Peyton retires nobody cares about the Broncos...just another team in our way.