Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Do you think the Colts win a Super Bowl in the Luck era?

Jules

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think next year we will know a lot more about this team and its future. I'm not expecting a super bowl next year as it kind of seems unreasonable after a bad year, but we need to at least make the playoffs and win a game or 2 and I'll feel better about the future. If we miss the playoffs I don't think we will win a super bowl under these guys. I'm more in wait and see mode myself. Pagano and Grigson have to get things together before I jump on the we will for sure win super bowls under them. Just how I see it.

I haven't read the entire thread but IMHO I think he CAN win a couple of rings.  He definitely has the talent and I think he "took a step back" this year mostly due to injuries.  I think he was initially injured week 1 in Buffalo and was never right.  He tried to play through it but only got hurt worse.  At any rate, I think he can be back to full health next season and I think (hope) they fix the OL enough that he isn't beaten up again so much next season.  The Colts will go as far as Luck takes them and I think he can take them all the way.  Brady and Manning will be retiring just as Luck will be peaking and he and Cam Newton will have their chances.  If the Colts can continue to add some pieces around him (as Carolina did) they could become dominant in the AFC. Think about it, who in the AFC has a young QB that you're scared of? MAYBE Mariota?  And the more chances at a Superbowl, the more shots at the rings.  I do like the recent coaching hires (ie Philbin as OL coach) they've made and it looks like Chuck is getting more say in personnel decisions so I think they can finally bring in the players they want and coach them up well enough to make a difference.  The only question is can Grigs get it together and improve in FA and the draft?  I think it's possible.

I think Luck goes twice to the Super Bowl, wins at least one and loses the other.  

Clyde Christiansen said something very important before he left.  Read this:

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nfl/colts/2016/01/19/clyde-christensen-andrew-luck-indianapolis-colts-miami-dolphins/79007022/

Excerpt:

Sitting out allowed Luck, Christensen said, to see the game from a different perspective. And to ensure that Luck made good use of his down time, Christensen assigned Luck a number of thought-provoking "projects" aimed at aiding his development. Most involved studying certain opponents on film or various types of defenses.

"We made a point to emphasize that this would not be a wasted year," Christensen said. "I look at it like this was the last year of undergrad work for him. He'd experienced everything but a physical injury. So, this was an important year. Anyone who thinks this year didn't help him just doesn't understand. He learned so much. One of Peyton's key years was the year he was hurt. He grew as a husband and a family man and teammate. This year will propel Andrew."

I don't care if Luck gets lucky like Eli but when he gets to the big dance, I just want him to make the most of it. Yes, I do think Luck makes it to the SB from the AFC mainly because Manning will be gone and in all likelihood, Brady and the hits he takes will take a toll on him too. I am certain there will be several playoff runs where Big Ben and Flacco will be Luck's main threats and he will cash in.

So, the answer is an emphatic yes, even if it is just 1 SB he goes to and wins. I am guessing it happens in the Grigson-Pagano era too.

24 minutes ago, aaron11 said:

It could happen,  but we have to find play makers on defense.   I don't think we get it without a big upgrade at pass rusher and maybe ILB.

O line need s work, too but a few decent guys could fix that

Well stated. If this happens, and Indianapolis can create a very good defense? The skies could open up as to how many SBs could be anchored here over the next decade. With that said, maintaining an exceptional offense that we now enjoy must also be retained with Luck.

15 hours ago, antipatriot said:

I think we will if we have continuity which it looks like we will in coaching and gm (whether we like them or not).  Now we have to build the team on OL and DL to help our very talented QB and all those weapons he has.  We are not that far away contrary to what this year looked like.  I am as impatient as everyone else and I want to win every year but when you look at that league you get a sense of how difficult it is to win a superbowl, I would bet we win one in the next 4 years and I think starting with next season we will be right there knocking on the door again.

If we do the right things in fixing this team yes if not then I say no because I'm not sold on Grigson or Pagano.

No. I do not think the Colts will win a Super Bowl with Luck or even get to one. The Colts are losing their grip on the AFC South and I would not be surprised to seem them finish third or fourth in that division this year. The other team are getting better fast. Put a good QB in Houston and they will beat the Colts handily twice per year. Luck got beaten to a pulp the last four years. I have see other QBs do that and it ruined their careers. I think Luck's career will be damaged also. I think it astounding that he wasn't seriously hurt before this year and I think he will get injured more and more often in the coming years. The plan for building this team was flawed in my opinion. You get a franchise QB and then you have him protected by journeymen and poor draft picks. I think the Colts are in a complete rebuild mode outside of Luck right now. It will take them three to five years to put enough around him to win. Peyton may go away but Denver won't, NE won't go away, Pittsburg is just well run and they will have a contending team. Teams like Houston, Jacksonville, Tennessee, Oakland, Cincy, the Jets, Buffalo and even Miami will be threats in the coming years. I think the Colts blew their best chance which was to win while Luck was on his rookie contract. I believe they suffer from inferior coaching and bad front office. Just my opinion and let us all hope that I am completely wrong.

2 hours ago, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

I certainly do....I also wonder why some of those who say "no" or have doubt seem to fail to realize that this team went 8-8 without their Franchise QB for 9 games? Most teams would have not fared that well and while I agree that improvement is needed in some key areas...this team isn't that far off. 

Perhaps it is because, outside of the Denver game, they played much better without their "franchise QB".

11 hours ago, Andretoindy said:

brady , rivers.,manning ,ben retire in 3-4 years the only qb they would have worry about would be carr 

More good QBs will be drafted. I think Mariotta is a star in the making. I agree about Carr. I am not sure that Andrew Luck will be around in four years considering the punishment he has absorbed.

6 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

Perhaps it is because, outside of the Denver game, they played much better without their "franchise QB".

What a myopic view.....Luck played injured in all of his starts. He never looked right and imo he injured that shoulder in the pre-season against Cincinnati making that hellacious tackle following the interception he threw. Others have claimed he was injured in the first game against Buffalo, either way he was never fully healthy when he played... 

Just now, TheRustonRifle#7 said:

What a myopic view.....Luck played injured in all of his starts. He never looked right and imo he injured that shoulder in the pre-season against Cincinnati making that hellacious tackle following the interception he threw. Others have claimed he was injured in the first game against Buffalo, either way he was never fully healthy when he played... 

Then he shouldn't have played. I just saw what Luck normally does magnified a bit this year. I would not be the least bit surprised to see next year be more of the same.

As both a Panthers and a Colts fan I think it's certainly possible that the Colts can win several Super Bowls with Luck. That being said I think the Colts should take a look at the Panthers blueprint. We have a solid Defense and a solid O-line with a good running game. Give Luck a soild o-line and he will have plenty of time to make plays with both arms and legs

2 minutes ago, Live and let live said:

Then he shouldn't have played. I just saw what Luck normally does magnified a bit this year. I would not be the least bit surprised to see next year be more of the same.

I agree with you about him not playing if injured....and I do believe some of his bad habits were magnified due to this. I do not believe this is a downward trend though, as you seem to be implying? Irsay has already demanded an improved Offensive Line and hired coaches with years of experience under Pagano to help with this. Better days are ahead...

THAT is not going to happen. I'm not talking about injury. The offense has been hog-tied over the last several seasons by a philosophy that simply does not work in elite team play. That's gone. I really think we're going to see a wide open venue with Chudzinski while exacerbating Luck's total skill sets. And, that goes for the rest of the offense as well. 

14 hours ago, Fx Stryker said:

At this rate? No. A lot needs to be addressed, and the whole team basically needs to be built. We should not have been so bad without Luck.

You can have the greatest passer of all-time, but that doesn't mean much. Ask Marino.

Why is it so hard to believe that there would be a drop off at QB when your QB is closing in on top 5 current NFL QBs? The whole team sucked this year because something was happening behind the scenes. If you tighten ship, maybe things change? This next season will be a big teller in everything we are questioning right now. 

46 minutes ago, Indianapolis-Colts-Fan said:

Why is it so hard to believe that there would be a drop off at QB when your QB is closing in on top 5 current NFL QBs? The whole team sucked this year because something was happening behind the scenes. If you tighten ship, maybe things change? This next season will be a big teller in everything we are questioning right now. 

I do not think Luck is closing in on the current top 5 QB. I don't think he is closing in on the top 10 QBs. I think that is Colt fan talking. It is OK but if you start to believe all of that, you will be seriously disappointed. Top ten in my mind are: Brady, Rogers, Big Ben, both Mannings (still), Rivers, Newton, Wilson, Palmer and Flacco. A couple of years ago, I read a thread where a man said if all of the players in the NFL were exposed to a draft, Luck would be the number one pick. I wasn't sure if that was the case then, I am sure it is not the case now. Certainly Newton and Wilson would be picked ahead of him. Perhaps even Winston and Mariotta based on their youth and upside. I am not putting Luck down, I think he has serious deficiencies and he isn't getting better that I can see. I think he is exactly the same QB now as he was the first game of his first year. Perhaps that is coaching but I doubt it.

18 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

Yes.

Manning is about to retire.   

Brady is about to retire.     Odds are when he does,  Belicheck will likely retire.

That may help even the playing field a bit.       The rest of the real talent lies in the NFC.  

Winning a SB I think will depend more on who coaches and who the GM is rather than will Luck be good enough to win a SB.      The coach and the GM will bring in the right players and coordinators and assistants.

Or not.

And that's how we will win.

We won our SB with Peyton not just because of Peyton,  but because we had Dungy and great assistants and Polian.       We had advantages over other teams we played.

That's how we'll have to do it again.

Brady about to retire??? I don't know I'd be too sure about that. He is still playing at a very high level and physically his body is showing very little to no sighns of slowing down or deteriorating. Looking at him right now it's very plausible to say he'll be playing for at least another 3 years quite possibly 5. I think alot of us Colts fans are really hoping he retires soon because of his domination in the game, but I don't see anything that suggests he's going to.

Just now, weslo1812 said:

Brady about to retire??? I don't know I'd be too sure about that, he is still playing at a very high level and physically his body is showing very little to no sighns of slowing down or deteriorating. Looking at him right now it's very plausible to say he'll be playing for at least another 3 years quite possibly 5. I think alot of us Colts fans are really hoping he retires soon because of his domination in the game, but I don't see anything that suggests he's going to.

If he does retire, NE will find a replacement and they will keep right on winning. Best managed team in the NFL.

19 hours ago, Jules said:

This is a question that can go in many ways with many various opinions so go at it.

My feeling? I certainly hope so. He is still young and I hope this team can be built around him accordingly. I know Irsay sort of built this up too big initially with hoping we get rings over stats. The positives are that the Colts under Luck have won a few playoff games and have made a title game.

The negatives are that we seem to be moving a tad backwards with development based on the eye test and thats not just due to injuries this past year at QB. And also that Luck will soon have to be paid the big bucks.

I also was thinking about this too since many still complain how we only got one SB win in the Manning era. But, why is that such a bad thing? I would kill right now just to know if we could get ONE Super Bowl win in the current Luck era. 

I think he gets that....

Look, unless Houston gets a new QB, we're winning the AFC South next season.

If we can be the 1 or 2 seed, it puts us 2 games away....

WE are NOT moving backwards,. Luck was hurt from game one.

The fact that we were 8-8 with an injured QB speaks very well for us

I think Andrew Luck, when healthy, is better than Cam Newton and Cam is in the big bowl..

..and I totally agree with the '1 Super Bowl' thing.

Fans in more than one NFL town (Green Bay, Seattle, New Orleans) think they 'should have won more than one title' with the great QB they have...its not that easy..

Our QB, TEs and WRs are young .....our day is coming

55 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

Brady about to retire??? I don't know I'd be too sure about that. He is still playing at a very high level and physically his body is showing very little to no sighns of slowing down or deteriorating. Looking at him right now it's very plausible to say he'll be playing for at least another 3 years quite possibly 5. I think alot of us Colts fans are really hoping he retires soon because of his domination in the game, but I don't see anything that suggests he's going to.

As I said to another poster who made the had the same reaction as you did....

I know he wants to play another 3-5 years....     but what he wants and what his body can do are sometimes two different things.     Two very different things.

Peyton Manning set all sorts of NFL records about 2-3 years ago.    Now he's almost ready to retire.    At Brady's age things change and sometimes faster than anyone would like.

My definition of "about to retire" is a few years....     I may be off,  but I don't think I'm off by much.....

Just my two cents....   and oft times,  it's not even worth that much!       :thmup:

3 minutes ago, NewColtsFan said:

I know he wants to play another 3-5 years....     but what he wants and what his body can do are sometimes two different things.     Two very different things.

Peyton Manning set all sorts of NFL records about 2-3 years ago.    Now he's almost ready to retire.    At Brady's age things change and sometimes faster than anyone would like.

My definition of "about to retire" is a few years....     I may be off,  but I don't think I'm off by much.....

Just my two cents....   and oft times,  it's not even worth that much!       :thmup:

I agree.  I think probably 2, maybe 3 years tops.

People see grigson as being the problem but he did take us to the afc championship last year. 

We've had hit and misses but he has gotten us talent at the same time. it's just about fixing the free agency mistakes and the colts are on a roll. If he can solidify the CB and dl position as well as oline, this team is ready to go. Not much left to fill in.

People complain about that but look at the titans. They have no talent...at all in any position except maybe mariota. We should somewhat appreciate grigson for the talent he has gotten so far...

3 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

That's very true...But Manning has some injuries that have kinda sped things up for him as far as retiring. Brady does not. So to me, unless something suddenly pops up and develops I see Brady going for at least another 3 years. But obviously this is just my opinion. And as much as I,don't wanna say it, I really do think Brady is a guy who may very well play into his early 40s. Plus he has a coach that I'm sure will adapt to him as neccasary. 

5 minutes ago, weslo1812 said:

That's very true...But Manning has some injuries that have kinda sped things up for him as far as retiring. Brady does not. So to me, unless something suddenly pops up and develops I see Brady going for at least another 3 years. But obviously this is just my opinion. And as much as I,don't wanna say it, I really do think Brady is a guy who may very well play into his early 40s. Plus he has a coach that I'm sure will adapt to him as neccasary. 

Brady has no injuries -- today.

Just as Manning didn't have injuries before he had them.

Someday Brady WILL have injuries.     And then he'll think about retiring.

5 hours ago, NewColtsFan said:

When it comes to this forum, I can just about guarantee the "two cent" cliche is valued way & beyond your total expectation than you think, NCF!  :thmup:

we have the same coach and GM that got him beat up more then any other QB for 3 years.  and this year from what we seen if he would have been healthy he would have been hit even more.  insanity is wanting a different outcome with the same ingredients.  with Pagano and Grigson still running things, there is not way things change. in 4 years the OL has not made progress what so ever.