Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Update: Colts hire Brian Schottenheimer as QBs coach

Dustin

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, James Harden said:

meh I want Tom House to work with Luck. Tom work with Brady and Brees so that is saying something right there. Get this guy on the hotline. 

Doesn't he have his own business, primarily coaching baseball pitchers?  Luck could work with him in the offseason, but he is not exactly a Qb coach, more of a throwing coach.

2 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why is he bad? He got enough out of Mark Sanchez to get the Jets to the AFCG twice  (in his rookie season no less). Not to mention he developed Brees and Rivers.

Calling the plays he wasn't great, but that's not what he's gonna be doing here.

Sounds good to me. But what really needs to happen in my opinion is early on in games Chud needs to make it a point to try to get Luck some easy completion attempts  to get Luck settled down and into a passing rhythm and to do that I'd make more of an effort to go over the middle of the field more with some crossing patterns and stretching the field with our TE's, That should also contribute to opening up the running game if affective.

Not to worried about who the QB coach is at this point but going over some of Schottenheimers interviews he sounds like a guy that knows what he is talking about

Another serious question is why NFL teams hire 20 or more coaches each. No wonder each of the hires is recycled from several former teams. The quality might be more impressive if teams could live with numbers more like what universities employ.

Since money is apparently no object,  I'm assuming we have no problem getting who we need....

I also assume Chud has great in-put on this decision.    Since he's running the offensive show,  then, if this is true,  I'll give Chud the benefit of the doubt on this hire.    

If Chud wants him,  then I'm OK with this.     But, I'll be Missouri on this (I need to see results with my own eyes) before I fully sign-off on the hire.      That's how I was with Pep,  and that's how I'll be with nonsense is he indeed gets the job.

1 hour ago, OffensivelyPC said:

Why don't people like him? Serious question.

I don't like his offensive play calling, and I think he's a bad coordinator. I'm not very familiar with his work as a QB coach, but his resume includes early Drew Brees, so that's not a bad thing. I just know I don't like his offense. 

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I don't like his offensive play calling, and I think he's a bad coordinator. I'm not very familiar with his work as a QB coach, but his resume includes early Drew Brees, so that's not a bad thing. I just know I don't like his offense. 

As an OC, yeah, he wasn't very good.  But to me, when I see Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on his resume, that's good.  Granted, Rivers didn't receive full playing time until the 2006, which was Schottenheimer's first year with the Jets, but the development of Rivers is at least on his resume.  Couldn't have done a bad job considering Rivers 2006 season. 

But for me, what takes the cake is Mark Sanchez - he got enough out of him to game manage his way to the AFC CG twice, including his rookie season.  Then it all went downhill in 2012 when all the locker room issues were going on and we basically never heard from him again. 

16 minutes ago, OffensivelyPC said:

As an OC, yeah, he wasn't very good.  But to me, when I see Drew Brees and Philip Rivers on his resume, that's good.  Granted, Rivers didn't receive full playing time until the 2006, which was Schottenheimer's first year with the Jets, but the development of Rivers is at least on his resume.  Couldn't have done a bad job considering Rivers 2006 season. 

But for me, what takes the cake is Mark Sanchez - he got enough out of him to game manage his way to the AFC CG twice, including his rookie season.  Then it all went downhill in 2012 when all the locker room issues were going on and we basically never heard from him again. 

The Jets offense wasn't very good in 2009 and 2010, especially the QBing. Sanchez was okay, and he is still a talented QB, just not very effective. I think in two or three years he could be the new Ryan Fitzpatrick. But those offenses operated on the back of the running game, which was at or near first in the league both years. 

He was also the OC for the Rams for three years. That didn't work out well, either. Bad QBs, though. And he was OC with the Jets when Pennington and Favre were still there, 2006-08. Not bad.

Schottenheimer's work with Brees and presumably Rivers is a positive for him. I hadn't thought about Rivers. He spent two years on the bench, probably working mostly with Schottenheimer. 

3 hours ago, azcolt said:

Another serious question is why NFL teams hire 20 or more coaches each. No wonder each of the hires is recycled from several former teams. The quality might be more impressive if teams could live with numbers more like what universities employ.

This is true.  Whenever I go to a game and I see 40 guys in polo shirts come out of the tunnel with the team and wonder what the hell they all do.  

4 minutes ago, peytonmanning18 said:

This is true.  Whenever I go to a game and I see 40 guys in polo shirts come out of the tunnel with the team and wonder what the hell they all do.  

If you ask colleges they'll tell you that they don't have enough coaches.

Colleges agree on a smaller number of coaches to keep costs in line.

The NFL allows for teams to have as many coaches as they like....   teams are trying to find a competitive edge.

The more coaches,  the fewer number of players each position coach has,   then in theory,  the better the coaching the player should receive.

Just like school....    the fewer students each teacher has,  the better education each student should receive.

8 minutes ago, Superman said:

The Jets offense wasn't very good in 2009 and 2010, especially the QBing. Sanchez was okay, and he is still a talented QB, just not very effective. I think in two or three years he could be the new Ryan Fitzpatrick. But those offenses operated on the back of the running game, which was at or near first in the league both years. 

He was also the OC for the Rams for three years. That didn't work out well, either. Bad QBs, though. And he was OC with the Jets when Pennington and Favre were still there, 2006-08. Not bad.

Schottenheimer's work with Brees and presumably Rivers is a positive for him. I hadn't thought about Rivers. He spent two years on the bench, probably working mostly with Schottenheimer. 

I don't disagree with you that the jets passing game was bad.  They had a bad QB.  But I tend to look at that as getting a bad QB to play well enough to not shoot the team in the foot (obviously, that's not a great example of a home run resume builder, but it's not something you hope no one asks about either).  They won in spite of him those years and that is a good thing in my book.  Once they had to depend on him more, he fell apart, which I think didn't really surprise anyone.

He's worked with a few duds, but I think generally speaking, he's gotten about as much as you can ask from the guys he's coached.  I'm not sure if he'll be better than Christensen, but I at least don't have the feeling that he's going to wreck Andrew Luck's career. 

1 hour ago, gacoop1 said:

You kidding me, Mark Sanchez; anybody that makes a fool of himself with the iconic butt fumble shouldn't deserve to be here to qb coach Luck.  

Schottenheimer wasn't the OC for the Jets when the butt fumble happened. Crisis averted.

12 hours ago, Superman said:

His team did make the AFC championship twice in a row w Mark Sanchez at QB while he was OC. But I agree with your take and having a Jets fan brother I've heard gripes about him for years. I specifically remember week 1 2010 when Jets were favored after reaching the AFC ship the year before (against us in 09) and then went on Hard Knocks and got LT, Holmes, Jason Taylor. First game against Baltimore they lose 10-9 and the last drive of the game on 4th and 10 he dials up a short yardage pass play that gets 9 yards.

10 hours ago, Shafty138 said:

Because they aren't the New England Patriots?  That's most likely "it's" team.....

I am so over the obsession some have with the Pats here (not saying you do).  So many people seem to want the Colts to become like the Pats and do things like the Pats.  Here's the thing I hate the Pats, I'd rather my favorite football not become a carbon copy of them.  There is more than one way to win in the NFL.  The Colts have been competitive with New England in the past and from about 2005-2009 they were pretty much their better.  I am hopefully they can do it again without having to become New England 2.0.

11 minutes ago, GoColts8818 said:

I am so over the obsession some have with the Pats here (not saying you do).  So many people seem to want the Colts to become like the Pats and do things like the Pats.  Here's the thing I hate the Pats, I'd rather my favorite football not become a carbon copy of them.  There is more than one way to win in the NFL.  The Colts have been competitive with New England in the past and from about 2005-2009 they were pretty much their better.  I am hopefully they can do it again without having to become New England 2.0.

2007 might disagree lol

14 hours ago, gacoop1 said:

You kidding me, Mark Sanchez; anybody that makes a fool of himself with the iconic butt fumble shouldn't deserve to be here to qb coach Luck.  

Honestly after the fake punt debacle here...I mean we really have no place to look down on the Jets....I still have nightmares about that play...it was THE single worst play in the NFL this year and we deserved to be ridiculed over it. IMO

19 hours ago, bababooey said:

Calling the plays he wasn't great, but that's not what he's gonna be doing here.

We hope...then again if we end up going down the same road with Chud as we did with Pep (its a possibility) then by mid-season he could be our OC...and if things get really bad we could end up with Joe Philbin as our HC.