Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

A Concern About Chud

John Waylon

I think it's safe to say he's going to be an upgrade over Pep. Show me someone who says otherwise, and I'll show you someone who is simply incorrect. 

But I do have a concern about promoting him to OC, however. Is this a position he's going to want to keep for some years, or is he going to be looking to get back into a HC position in the near future? He's already Luck's 3rd OC in 5 years. That kind of turnover is rough for ANY QB. I'd really like to see Andrew get his own Tom Moore like OC; someone who has interest only in being his own OC, and someone that he can become the same mind with. 

If Chud turns our offense into a monster next year and teams come calling on him to be their head coach, could Luck be looking at his 4th OC?

To top it all off, there have been comments made about Chud that have remained with me through the years. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9717943/deangelo-williams-carolina-panthers-critical-former-offensive-coordinator-rob-chudzinski

This bit in particular has stuck with me, and makes me wonder just how long of a marriage this may be:

Williams' comments marked the second time this season that a member of the Carolina offense has said something pointed about Chudzinski. Wide receiver Steve Smith said before the season opener that some of the Panthers' offensive problems last season were caused by Chudzinski.

"The prior offensive coordinator really was positioning himself to just apply for that head coaching job," Smith said at the time. "I think our offense suffered a little bit because of that.

"At times, we got cute. We did things that weren't necessarily us, like the under-utilizing of [running back] Mike Tolbert. But we're out of that. The past is the past."

Hopefully he's decided to stay on as OC for some time, and make that his only concern, because with a QB like Luck, you'll prolly always have a chance to get some buzz as a HC candidate at the end of the season.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

24 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

I think it's safe to say he's going to be an upgrade over Pep. Show me someone who says otherwise, and I'll show you someone who is simply incorrect. 

But I do have a concern about promoting him to OC, however. Is this a position he's going to want to keep for some years, or is he going to be looking to get back into a HC position in the near future? He's already Luck's 3rd OC in 5 years. That kind of turnover is rough for ANY QB. I'd really like to see Andrew get his own Tom Moore like OC; someone who has interest only in being his own OC, and someone that he can become the same mind with. 

If Chud turns our offense into a monster next year and teams come calling on him to be their head coach, could Luck be looking at his 4th OC?

To top it all off, there have been comments made about Chud that have remained with me through the years. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9717943/deangelo-williams-carolina-panthers-critical-former-offensive-coordinator-rob-chudzinski

This bit in particular has stuck with me, and makes me wonder just how long of a marriage this may be:

Hopefully he's decided to stay on as OC for some time, and make that his only concern, because with a QB like Luck, you'll prolly always have a chance to get some buzz as a HC candidate at the end of the season.

It's bound to happen regardless. A successful coordinator will get a crack at a HC position elsewhere. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

59 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

If you are looking for someone who only has desires to be an OC and not ever move up the ranks to Head Coach, the talent pool you will be searching through will be pretty damn shallow.  Tom Moore is a rare commodity.  I think you want the best coach period.  Ultimately I think you want that coach to eventually be in demand because while it may mean a rebuilding period should he leave, the year(s) he was the OC had to have been pretty good.  

I think the "this is Luck's Xth coordinator in X years," is somewhat of a played out narrative, he's not the type to have any issues learning a new playbook. He's practically a genius, and could probably learn a new offense in his sleep. It's the other 10 guys on offense not being on the same page as him that I'm worried about.

That probably seems like splitting hairs, but the real concern shouldn't be Luck's ability to adapt to a new OC. And as far as Chud goes, I really can't say for sure what his intentions are, but if he really wanted a HC gig, this would've been a great year to throw his hat in the mix. Plenty of vacancies. But he signed with the Colts instead, and I thought it was for 4 years (not 100% on that), so I do believe he'll be here for the next 2 seasons, minimum.

If the offense does well, Chud will be a hot candidate. There's no question about that. He's already viewed around the league as a sympathetic figure, a coach who got fired very prematurely by a dysfunctional organization. I think teams will be eager to interview him.

Maybe he's learned the value of choosing wisely, though. He was a Browns fan growing up, so that job had some allure to him, but I doubt he'll be willing to take just any job moving forward. I bet he'll be interested in the stability of ownership and management, he'll be interested in their QB situation, etc. 

The Colts should have a good succession plan in place. I fear that that plan involves Christensen moving up to OC if/when Chud takes another job. Christensen ought to know the Air Coryell stuff as well as Luck by now, having worked with Arians and now with Chud. And the old Manning/Moore stuff had vestiges of the vertical offense. So it's a logical progression. The problem is that Christensen was a bad coordinator. He had bad QBs and an unfavorable situation and a bad head coach, but our head coach still isn't good on offense. Coaches get better sometimes, but I'd rather not have Christensen running the offense.

As for the Steve Smith stuff, I always felt that was unfair. They ran a good offense with Chud, and that's the primary consideration. They had an athletic QB who was still developing as a passer, and Chud accentuated his strengths while not asking him to do things he wasn't really good at. When Cam was a rookie, they were 5th in scoring, and Tolbert wasn't even there yet. Cam got a lot of goal line TDs instead of the backs, which caused some frustration. The next year, Tolbert didn't get a ton of touches, but he still had 7 TDs. They platooned their backs and Cam got a lot of carries, but they still had a decent rushing defense. I thought Smith's frustration came from not getting a lot of red zone looks and TD opportunities.

2 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

I think the "this is Luck's Xth coordinator in X years," is somewhat of a played out narrative, he's not the type to have any issues learning a new playbook. He's practically a genius, and could probably learn a new offense in his sleep. It's the other 10 guys on offense not being on the same page as him that I'm worried about.

That probably seems like splitting hairs, but the real concern shouldn't be Luck's ability to adapt to a new OC. And as far as Chud goes, I really can't say for sure what his intentions are, but if he really wanted a HC gig, this would've been a great year to throw his hat in the mix. Plenty of vacancies. But he signed with the Colts instead, and I thought it was for 4 years (not 100% on that), so I do believe he'll be here for the next 2 seasons, minimum.

X=3  and X= 5

3rd coordinator in 5 seasons.   He was only in a different offense for 1 season besides his freshman and soph yrs at Standford

35 minutes ago, Tsarquise said:

Seems there are a lot of Rob Chudzinski fans on this board; why?

Because there a lot of people on here that do not understand that it doesnt matter who the coordinator is if Luck turns the ball over then the offense will suck butt again.  Need to protect Luck and let him do his thing.

The new oline coach and Grigsons acquisitions will have more impact than what Chud will.  Luck can run the offense if he gets protection

I remember Pep calling a great game with Hasselbeck in Houston. That last long pass play to seal the game was golden; Chud would have ran it and Gore would have been stuffed. We lost a critical game with Chudzinski coordinating the offense against Houston at home.

I also remember Chudzinski continuing to run the ball even though we couldn't; It's like wasting downs.

I guess people look at the Broncos game and feel happy about Chud being the OC?

2 minutes ago, SteelCityColt said:

I thought he only had him for his rookie season? Impressive from Newton but still a losing season.

Yep you are correct.   I fell into the same trap I get after others about and assumed he did amazing things with Cam

4 hours ago, Superman said:

If the offense does well, Chud will be a hot candidate. There's no question about that. He's already viewed around the league as a sympathetic figure, a coach who got fired very prematurely by a dysfunctional organization. I think teams will be eager to interview him.

Maybe he's learned the value of choosing wisely, though. He was a Browns fan growing up, so that job had some allure to him, but I doubt he'll be willing to take just any job moving forward. I bet he'll be interested in the stability of ownership and management, he'll be interested in their QB situation, etc. 

The Colts should have a good succession plan in place. I fear that that plan involves Christensen moving up to OC if/when Chud takes another job. Christensen ought to know the Air Coryell stuff as well as Luck by now, having worked with Arians and now with Chud. And the old Manning/Moore stuff had vestiges of the vertical offense. So it's a logical progression. The problem is that Christensen was a bad coordinator. He had bad QBs and an unfavorable situation and a bad head coach, but our head coach still isn't good on offense. Coaches get better sometimes, but I'd rather not have Christensen running the offense.

As for the Steve Smith stuff, I always felt that was unfair. They ran a good offense with Chud, and that's the primary consideration. They had an athletic QB who was still developing as a passer, and Chud accentuated his strengths while not asking him to do things he wasn't really good at. When Cam was a rookie, they were 5th in scoring, and Tolbert wasn't even there yet. Cam got a lot of goal line TDs instead of the backs, which caused some frustration. The next year, Tolbert didn't get a ton of touches, but he still had 7 TDs. They platooned their backs and Cam got a lot of carries, but they still had a decent rushing defense. I thought Smith's frustration came from not getting a lot of red zone looks and TD opportunities.

I'm probably giving the braintrust a little too much credit here, but hiring Joe Philbin to the staff does give you an in-house replacement for Chud as well. And it's not like he's getting another HC gig anytime soon. 

I'd be okay if they bought in Philbin, but do we see Philbin stepping backwards from HC all the way down to OL coach? I'm going to assume he probably won't bite much on the Colts offer if there was one.  Probably will sit around waiting on at least a coordinator offer from somebody.  Somebody like the Giants who are running the Green Bay offense maybe.

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

Thanks for posting all that, but many is it depressing. I agree... history repeats itself.   Ack. 

5 hours ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Agreed. I remember when Flaaco basically called everyone out and said something to the effect of "changing OCs isn't a big deal". Andrew will be fine regardless. Good players always flourish.

6 hours ago, John Waylon said:

I expect you are going to have a lot of things to worry about this off season.

1 hour ago, Dustin said:

I'm probably giving the braintrust a little too much credit here, but hiring Joe Philbin to the staff does give you an in-house replacement for Chud as well. And it's not like he's getting another HC gig anytime soon. 

They haven't hired him, yet. And he runs a WCO. But I'd still rather have him run the offense than Christensen.

This is true of just about any coordinator in the NFL.  If they are good at their job sooner or later other teams who need a head coach is going to come calling.  Everyone in a while you'll get a guy like Tom Moore who is happy just running an offense but they are by far the exception not the norm. 

8 hours ago, Superman said:

I agree Super that Christensen was not a good OC for sure but I disagree that Dungy was a bad head coach.

7 hours ago, BigMcAfeeWithCheese said:

Makes you realize how lucky we were to have Tom Moore for so long. The idea of a stable OC that sticks around is a good one but is rare if that OC has success.

And how fortunate Arizona currently is, with BA the coach, BA the OC / Playcaller, and Tom Moore the Asst. Head Coach and Offensive Consultant.

I hope Chud does well with Luck and the Colts offense. If that success leads to his promotion elsewhere, then Que Sera Sera...

15 hours ago, Superman said:
15 hours ago, Superman said:

Chud was in Carolina for Newton's two first years.

Chud was in Carolina for Newton's two first years.

with losing seasons both years

6-10

7-9

Cleveland 2007-2008

*10-6

4-12

So unless I am missing something he is not as good as everyone make him out to be.

1 winning season as a OC and 4-12 as a head coach

16 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

with losing seasons both years

6-10

7-9

Cleveland 2007-2008

*10-6

4-12

So unless I am missing something he is not as good as everyone make him out to be.

1 winning season as a OC and 4-12 as a head coach

W/L record has nothing to do with how effective Chud was as an OC. Try looking at the offense's production instead.

Just now, Jason_S said:

No, I would not.  Offensive productivity cannot be determined solely by a stat line.

3 hours ago, Jason_S said:

W/L record has nothing to do with how effective Chud was as an OC. Try looking at the offense's production instead.

You are going to have to make up your mind.

Colts were top 5 in offensive production.

9 minutes ago, Coltfreak said:

You are going to have to make up your mind.

Colts were top 5 in offensive production.

No I don't.  I just may need to get out some crayons and construction paper.  

I very clearly said that offensive productivity cannot be determined from a stat line alone.  You also need to take into account poor week to week game planning, all of the slow starts, poor play calling etc etc.  Not to mention that Luck appeared to be regressing under Pep...not progressing.

1 minute ago, Jason_S said:

No I don't.  I just may need to get out some crayons and construction paper.  

I very clearly said that offensive productivity cannot be determined from a stat line alone.  You also need to take into account poor week to week game planning, all of the slow starts, poor play calling etc etc.  Not to mention that Luck appeared to be regressing under Pep...not progressing.

regressing?  You mean hurt right?   Because up until this year he was getting better.  He "regressed" against two of the top defenses in the league at the time and then got hurt.   Sorry not buying it.  

4 hours ago, Jason_S said:

Again the offense was one of the tops in the league.   You need a different argument.