Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

No Announcement Tonight Per colts and 1070 (Merge)

bababooey

Get what some say about going 8-8 without key players, but I believe the poor to mediocre start to the season when we were healthy is what got this ball rolling. I think if the Colts had started strong he would have had a longer leash. Those circumstances and getting blown out in the championship game last year caused all of this. And that is not counting the steeper , cowboys, and pats game last year.

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:
18 minutes ago, BrentMc11 said:

Honestly, who would you rather have coaching your favorite team.....Chuck Pagano?  Or Nick Saban?

Chuck by a mile. unfortunately Irsay has a hrdon for Star Wars football and is probably 

trying to strike some deal to get Sean Payton.  For me I hope the price is too high. We have so many needs that I would not give up a second.

1 hour ago, Superman said:

I'm irritated with Indy media right now. They're moaning and complaining because they've been camped out in the media room all day, and now no decision is being made yet. Doesn't mean the situation is being handled poorly.

Maybe they don't like their sandwiches.

1 hour ago, luv_pony_express said:

You hope Grigson stays despite all the awful personnel moves he's made?  Hmm.  I realize Colts fans are split about Pagano.  But I haven't run into too many people who defend Ryan Grigson, even if he wasn't micromanaging.

The guy is a former offensive lineman who apparently either doesn't realize how important an offensive line is to a football team or is inept at evaluating O linemen.

Grigson has to be among the candidates for worst GM in the league.

If there was an NFL "Hall of Suck", Grigson would be its first inductee, and the first to wear the brown jacket.

4 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have also seen several Posts that Chuck cant win outside of the Division, That is false. We have won 3 Playoff games outside of the Division on huge stages in beating the Chiefs, Bengals, and Broncos and we beat Seattle in 2013 the year they won the won the SB.

They beat the 49ers that year too. 3 of the 4 teams who played for the Conference championships that year.

I think no drastic moves should be made. Lets see how this Draft goes and how we do when Andrew is healthy again. Sometimes changing Coaching and even GM can ruin your team. I know I said earlier Grigs should probably be gone but I would be willing to give him this offseason as long as he Drafts well. No WR's and no RB's haha 

10 minutes ago, adamr said:

They beat the 49ers that year too. 3 of the 4 teams who played for the Conference championships that year.

I've said this a lot previously, that was two years ago then we regressed and got blown out by elite teams then had this nightmare season. Similar to the 09-10 jets who had success then just regressed under Rex. However we have most of the tools to get back up there.

2 minutes ago, bababooey said:

I've said this a lot previously, that was two years ago then we regressed and got blown out by elite teams then had this nightmare season. Similar to the 09-10 jets who had success then just regressed under Rex. However we have most of the tools to get back up there.

how is going to the championship game regressing? who cares if we didnt beat playoff teams in the regular season. we won two when it really mattered. 

The Raiders got two first and two seconds for Gruden, and he hadn't won a SB yet. A second for Payton is reasonable. 

Edit: And the Raiders got $8m in cash.

That was a BAD deal then.  After all Gruden won the Super Bowl with Tony Dungy's players.  Dungy should have two rings and Gruden zippo!

9 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Jets had Mark Sanchez at QB, they were never getting to the SB. We have Andrew Luck, huge difference. We just need to add a few players.

5 minutes ago, CR91 said:

how is going to the championship game regressing? who cares if we didnt beat playoff teams in the regular season. we won two when it really mattered. 

We won last year against 2 hopeless teams.
 One that had lost all of its offensive weapons and its top linebackers and one with an injured QB who couldn`t throw it 10 yards.

I know, you don`t care about the details. We were 0-5 during the regular season against the top teams.
 Those playoff wins were pure total luck of the draw.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

One that had lost all of its offensive weapons and its top linebackers and one with an injured QB who couldn`t throw it 10 yards.

I know, you don`t care about the details. We were 0-5 during the regular season against the top teams.

and we didnt have injuries? we were working with a make-shift o-line and didnt have mathis all season

Can't imagine.

And I'm not sure about this 'under contract until March' deal, either. I think a coach's contract expires after the last game of the season.

Espn said on sports center that it expires at the end of the league year.....

3 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Excuses to why we won, so why don't you use the excuse the reason why we didn't beat Houston, Luck was out then? It works both ways. If Luck plays we beat Houston and probably easily. We went into Denver and won a Playoff game when their Defense was healthy and Peyton was still playing.

32 minutes ago, 2006Coltsbestever said:

I have also seen several Posts that Chuck cant win outside of the Division, That is false. We have won 3 Playoff games outside of the Division on huge stages in beating the Chiefs, Bengals, and Broncos and we beat Seattle in 2013 the year they won the won the SB.

The Chiefs had us slaughtered and only the loss of Tamba Hali and 2 defensive backs during the game allowed us to even get close. We were by far not the best team on the field.
 Yes, the Bengals were without their top 2 receivers and both of their good TE`s, and their 2 best linebackers.
 They were DEAD at kickoff.
Manning says he was injured, maybe, he couldn`t throw more than 10 yards downfield close to a receiver.
 That helped our porous D immensely.
And SF when Kap had no receivers and looked like Luck did this season. SF didn`t show up that day.
 Yes we beat Seattle at home with 2 TY bombs, as they beat the crap out of us all day, minus both of their OT`s.
 We have relied on the Football Gods for many of Lucks bigger victories.

1 minute ago, throwing BBZ said:

The Chiefs had us slaughtered and only the loss of Tamba Hali and 2 defensive backs during the game allowed us to even get close. We were by far not the best team on the field.
 Yes, the Bengals were without their top 2 receivers and both of their good TE`s, and their 2 best linebackers.
Manning says he was injured, maybe, he couldn`t throw more than 10 yards downfield close to a receiver.
And SF when Kap had no receivers and looked like Luck did this season. SF didn`t show up that day.
 Yes we beat Seattle at home with 2 TY bombs, as they beat the crap out of us all day, minus both of their OT`s.

you have an excuse for the other two times we beat the broncos

2 hours ago, cbear said:

Hopefully Irsay says both are staying but their roles have changed (or been clarified).  Chuck makes all the on field decisions.  Grigs gets the players Chuck wants.....and that's it!

If Chuck stays i would be glad to have him have more control if it means taking it away from Grigson!!
 Chuck will be asked to replace our DC and a few coaches would think. Please O-Line!!!

2 hours ago, pgt_rob said:

Anyone think that Irsay shot over another 1 year deal to Chuck and told him to give him an answer this week? That way it gives Chuck time to talk it over with his family and such. We will see. 

No, most coaches don't accept one year deals.  Even Rookies may well reject one year deals.  Notably those with ridiculously low $ value.  Pagano is a free agent and is likely already taking phone calls in case Irsay rejects his appeal to be re-hired.

7 minutes ago, csmopar said:

Espn said on sports center that it expires at the end of the league year.....

Wouldn't be the first time ESPN was wrong. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong, either...

But I went digging, and here's what I've found in the NFL Anti Tampering Policy, for Non Players: http://www.dawgtalkers.net/uploads/2009%20NFL%20Anti-Tampering%20Policy.pdf

(general protocol)

Despite the other requirements of this section on protocol, if a public announcement has been made by an employer club that it has dismissed or will not be retaining an employee, such employee and any clubs interested in him or her are under no obligation to observe the club-to-club courtesies of this section.

(for head coaches)

Under Contract. During a club’s playing season, including postseason if applicable (excluding Pro Bowl), the following actions are prohibited concerning a head coach who is under contract, unless the involved head coach has been dismissed by his club:

Expired Contract. If the contract of the head coach has expired, the employer club must not deny the coach the opportunity to discuss or accept employment with another club.

(for assistant coaches)

Under Contract During Season. During a club’s playing season, including postseason if applicable (excluding Pro Bowl), the following actions are prohibited concerning an assistant coach who is under contract, unless the involved coach has been dismissed by his club:

(for assistant coaches, specific to lateral moves)

Contract Due to Expire. The employer club retains the exclusive right to an assistant coach’s contract during the period after the conclusion of the last NFL season covered by such contract and the applicable deadline specified on the schedule below. • Clubs Not in Playoffs. 12:01 A.M. on the second Tuesday after the club’s final game of the regular season. • Clubs in Playoff. 12:01 A.M. on the second Tuesday after the club’s final playoff game, including Super Bowl if applicable, but in no event after the expiration date specified in the coach’s contract.

I'm piecing all of this together to get an understanding of the rules. Nothing expressly states when a head coach's contract expires (and honestly, coaches usually don't work through the expiration date of their contract; they usually get extended or get fired with years remaining, so there's not a lot of precedent for this). The latter section though does state when an assistant coach's contract expires. This was true of Chudzinski's contract last year, when the Colts denied other teams the chance to interview him, but only had until the Monday after we lost in the playoffs to figure something out with him. 

The first part makes it pretty clear that Irsay can't hold Pagano hostage indefinitely, even if his contract isn't being renewed. Once Irsay states publicly that Pagano isn't coming back, he's a free agent; if Irsay hires a new coach, that releases Pagano.

I'm thinking that a head coach with an expiring contract is a free agent by the Tuesday after his team's season ends. Even if he's not, he won't be held in limbo. The team will state their intentions in short order.

52 minutes ago, CR91 said:

Don't let it fool you. We deserved those wins but the Bengals were injured and we own Peyton. We could have beaten Baltimore though. Doesn't change the fact we went from beating elite teams with a few duds (2013 beat SF, SEA, DEN, lost to STL, ARI, CIN) to getting killed by elite teams (NE, DAL, PIT). Then there was this season. That's called regression.

Why would you rush into a decision here? His contract is gonna expire, we don't need to fire him.

I think Irsay probably has a short list and if he can get somebody off the list, he will. If he cant, he will try to work something out with Chuck. Its the smart way to play it, you gain nothing by ruling that out at this point.

There is no reason to rule out bringing him back right now. He has yet to have a losing season here. We can do much, much worse. 

53 minutes ago, SupermanLuck12 said:

The players play their hearts out for Pagano and that's something that you have to give the man credit for. The players seem to resent against Grigson.. maybe we just need a fresh start.

They don't play their hearts out. If they did we wouldn't be here is the point. I said before they want to run through a brick wall for him, but most actually don't when needed.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Wouldn't be the first time ESPN was wrong. Wouldn't be the first time I'm wrong, either...

But I went digging, and here's what I've found in the NFL Anti Tampering Policy, for Non Players: http://www.dawgtalkers.net/uploads/2009%20NFL%20Anti-Tampering%20Policy.pdf

I'm piecing all of this together to get an understanding of the rules. Nothing expressly states when a head coach's contract expires (and honestly, coaches usually don't work through the expiration date of their contract; they usually get extended or get fired with years remaining, so there's not a lot of precedent for this). The latter section though does state when an assistant coach's contract expires. This was true of Chudzinski's contract last year, when the Colts denied other teams the chance to interview him, but only had until the Monday after we lost in the playoffs to figure something out with him. 

The first part makes it pretty clear that Irsay can't hold Pagano hostage indefinitely, even if his contract isn't being renewed. Once Irsay states publicly that Pagano isn't coming back, he's a free agent; if Irsay hires a new coach, that releases Pagano.

I'm thinking that a head coach with an expiring contract is a free agent by the Tuesday after his team's season ends. Even if he's not, he won't be held in limbo. The team will state their intentions in short order.

4 minutes ago, Superman said:

Well then, that makes quite a bit of sense given what was released to the Media a couple hours ago. It was reported that the Colts would announce their decision tomorrow, Tuesday.

42 minutes ago, throwing BBZ said:

Chiefs lost Flowers and Jamaal Charles too

I think people on this board are buying into the rah rah speech more than the known facts at hand. When someone is possibly being terminated, they always give a; I love this place, I love my co workers speech to try and make the boss reconsider.

First strike out Arians record while Chuck was ill. Now what's his record look like and again what's it look like outside the afc south.

Look at the record number of blow out loses this Chuck coached team has had in 3 years. How many times does it look as if there was no game plan or halftime adjustments by coach Chuck. Our record of 8-8 is not the standard we want to live by (we where lucky to achieve this). 

Of course the players LOVE coach Chuck, because they fear no consequences from him for poor play.

Hence another reason we are known as SOFT.

When to fire a guy? When you first thought about it.

i think we can do better.

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Pagano can stand on principle. If Irsay tells him to leave, he can go get his long term deal with a raise from another team. And I think everyone knows that. That's kind of endearing me to Pagano, despite his shortcomings. He obviously really wants to stay with the Colts.

Well, you can't just go anywhere and get a quarterback like this

2 hours ago, Superman said:

Can't imagine.

And I'm not sure about this 'under contract until March' deal, either. I think a coach's contract expires after the last game of the season.

Herm Edwards drew a draft pick.  I would think that pagano's stock is much higher than that.

2 minutes ago, ztboiler said:

Well, you can't just go anywhere and get a quarterback like this

We were talking about money and contract terms, though. Pagano can go get close to the contract he thinks he deserves if he wants to. He'd knock the socks off Jimmy Haslam, he'd be right at home in Miami, etc. So if it's about the contract and the money, he doesn't have to get it from the Colts.

It's probably much more about the QB than it is the contract. But he also appears to genuinely like coaching this team, and wants to stay, despite the nonsense of the last year. I'd rather see a guy want to stay than a guy be one foot out the door. 

Jim Caldwell said the other day something like 'I don't believe in defending my work,' when asked if he thinks he should remain the coach in Detroit. Chuck Pagano said 'I'll fight my * off for this job.' Which is just what he appears to be doing.