Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

jmv ... Payton is who Indy wants...

John Dee

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

So you want a coach brought is that the players don't care for or like? You will find very few players who have any kind words for Gruden. Even after winning the super bowl the Buc players contacted Dungy. Gruden is all show. Have you ever noticed he lights up like a Christmas tree whenever there is a camera within 50 feet of him?

"Have you ever noticed man paid to be on camera smiles when there's a camera on him?" 

You are taking a lot of L's in this thread.

• Replies 284
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

4 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who has the final decision on the roster?

Every NFL club has one, and only one, person with control over the 53-man roster, regardless of title. In most cases, it is either the general manager or head coach. It can't be both. In New Orleans, Sean Payton has final say over all personnel matters. 

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/08/an_insiders_look_the_inside_sc.html

Well if that's the case then Payton has done a poor job. Four losing seasons in a row and cap space hades. We have one losing season and some want to replace them?

7 minutes ago, jvan1973 said:

Who has the final decision on the roster?

Every NFL club has one, and only one, person with control over the 53-man roster, regardless of title. In most cases, it is either the general manager or head coach. It can't be both. In New Orleans, Sean Payton has final say over all personnel matters. 

http://www.nola.com/saints/index.ssf/2014/08/an_insiders_look_the_inside_sc.html

Either way, Loomis and Payton found themselves in cap hell with 20% dead money.

1 minute ago, crazycolt1 said:

So you want a coach brought is that the players don't care for or like? You will find very few players who have any kind words for Gruden. Even after winning the super bowl the Buc players contacted Dungy. Gruden is all show. Have you ever noticed he lights up like a Christmas tree whenever there is a camera within 50 feet of him?

No, I would hate a coach being brought in that the players would hate.  I would think that Gruden has grown up some since his days at Tampa Bay, would be able to get along with players better, has more respect for the game than ever before seeing it from the outside in.  However, if you are correct, I agree... if he is in it for the limelight and flair, no-go.  Hopefully Irsay does his homework and would know if this is true...and get good advice.

5 minutes ago, John Waylon said:

Except no.

http://bfy.tw/3YFV

Just last offseason there was a mound of uncertainty surrounding Loomis because he had put the Saints 30 million over the cap.

I'm glad you linked that because it's makes you look even more ridiculous considering you're actually the one who is wrong. 

Like, you took the effort to set that up, but couldn't take 3 seconds to even check if you were right. Good show, friendo.

Except no.

Just last offseason there was a mound of uncertainty surrounding Loomis because he had put the Saints 30 million over the cap.

Payton has final say on personnel decisions

Ok, fine.

That doesn't exactly give more reasons to hire him. The Saints have been in a perpetual decline since bountygate, and Payton hasn't shown much indication that he can turn things around. This is the same guy who refused to fire Rob Ryan after a historically bad defensive season.

Payton is not the answer we're looking for, especially at the cost of any draft picks.

Except no.

I'm glad you linked that because it's makes you look even more ridiculous considering you're actually the one who is wrong. 

Like, you took the effort to set that up, but couldn't take 3 seconds to even check if you were right. Good show, friendo.

It's posters like you that have caused the decline of this place.

4 minutes ago, bababooey said:

Either way, Loomis and Payton found themselves in cap hell with 20% dead money.

Wouldn't be nearly as bad if they hadn't of had to cut Junior Gallette this off-season because of off-field issues (which incurred $12M of their $14M). That's just not something you can really account for.

Just now, crazycolt1 said:

agreed.  I really don't know who I'd like to see.  I really want a strong D coach/coordinator.  I think we finally have the pieces to work in the 3-4, I'd like to see it continue

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Wouldn't be nearly as bad if they hadn't of had to cut Junior Gallette this off-season because of of-field issues. That's just not something you can really account for.

Yea but at the same time, 131 players were on their cap. Half don't play for them. Gallette is just one piece. Graham, Grubbs, Lofton too. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13957641/dead-money-how-new-orleans-saints-salary-cap-woes-affect-drew-brees-future

In addition to the team spiraling downhill and being historically bad defensively.

1 minute ago, bababooey said:

Yea but at the same time, 131 players were on their cap. Half don't play for them. Gallette is just one piece. Graham, Grubbs, Lofton too. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/13957641/dead-money-how-new-orleans-saints-salary-cap-woes-affect-drew-brees-future

In addition to the team spiraling downhill and being historically bad defensively.

Yeah, it hurt, but only for one season. They were fine this year (as in this coming offseason) in terms of dead cap space.

54 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

I would think that if we get Payton then Grigson would be shown the door.

Actually, all of the pieces on offense are already in place, so the GM really has to focus on the defense outside of one more good olineman.  And the meddling thingy probably had more to do with a lack of confidence in chuck than some sort of personality disorder of Grigson.  He'd probably give Payton a lot more autonomy.

If they're looking at Payton, then might as well keep Pagano and Grigson...

plus I'm not one to be too down on the defense....they played pretty admirably and wouldn't have been nearly as bad on paper as they were due to the offense being crap most of the year. Sure there are some holes, but there's a lot of potential there.

Say what you want about Grigson (and there's plenty either way), the one thing you can't say is that he's killed the team cap wise. In fact, the team is in a very favorble cap position going forward, even with upcoming Luck new contract.

59 minutes ago, deedub75 said:

That was the point I was making.  The reason I thing Grigson would be out is that if it is true that he meddles with lineups and such, Payton wouldn't want to work with him.  

It's also possible that he wouldn't meddle with the lineup if the HC actually knew offense, which happens to be Payton's strong suit.

1 minute ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

It's also possible that he wouldn't meddle with the lineup if the HC actually knew offense, which happens to be Payton's strong suit.

well...the reports are that he forced TRich into the lineup as well as harrison and Herremans.......Grigs doesnt know offense either

3 minutes ago, Steamboat_Shaun said:

Grigson reportedly hired Pep.....doesn't sound like he knows offense either.

2 minutes ago, RealityIsLuck said:

For a 2nd, no thanks. 

Same, but that's the starting point. The Colts didn't respond to the 2nd round asking price. They originally were gonna make him say no but before the Saints said they wanted a 2nd. Don't know what the colts think now but would imagine the 2nd is a starting point and could come down if Irsay wants him.

12 minutes ago, csmopar said:

i wouldn't go that far.  Since he took over in 1997/1998, we've had just 3 "losing seasons" an missed the playoffs now for just the  3rd time, in almost 2 decades.........

A lot of that is pure luck.  Drafting Manning and Luck has a lot to do with that. 

4 minutes ago, csmopar said:

well...the reports are that he forced TRich into the lineup as well as harrison and Herremans.......Grigs doesnt know offense either

Reports, reports, reports, all perpetuated by the Indy media, with zero named sources. I'm sorry, I'm hesitant to believe this notion of "woe is me, I didn't get a fair shake to run the team the way I wanted, now I'm being scapegoated." While I'm sure that there's some truth in these reports, I refuse to acknowledge them as gospel until there's, at the very least, a named source attached to them.

Just now, bababooey said:

Same, but that's the starting point. The Colts didn't respond to the 2nd round asking price. They originally were gonna make him say no but before the Saints said they wanted a 2nd. Don't know what the colts think now but would imagine the 2nd is a starting point and could come down if Irsay wants him.

id rather just keep pagano anyway. I know thats not a popular choice, but hes done a lot this season with less. peyton went down, season was over. he got 8 wins out of this team. thats saying something