Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st priority: Offensive linemen

oldunclemark

4 minutes ago, Gavin said:

you don't draft based on need, Its a terrible indicator of talent

Exactly! Fix the weakest position through free agency(spend big) and draft best available unless its a WR. With that being said, I would go all out on either Kelechi Osemele or Von Miller. Personally, I like Osemele`s versatility to play guard or tackle.  

9 minutes ago, Gavin said:

you don't draft based on need, Its a terrible indicator of talent

No. This team's O line desperately needs to improve. The draft is the best way to get that done. They need to draft G and C. And probably pick up a quality veteran center in free agency. The other bad needs are pass rush and CB. Get those four positions fixed with some talent and depth and the future get brighter immediately. 

OL remains and should have been amongst the top priorities since 2009.  Good might have the potential to fulfill the RT position, but that remains to be seen.  In other words, the team is still in need of a stud OG, a stud C, and a stud OT, unless Good develops into that RT.   Thus, the OL should remain a priority, followed by defense.

I like Gore and think he can still bring it for another year, but a young RB that can take over in 2-3 years time is also still needed.

One thing that hasn't changed, imho, is that championship teams are almost always built from the trenches out.  Our DL, in getting Anderson back for next year, is actually not that bad.   On D, a stud OLB is needed, another stud CB is needed, and if "young" studs can be found at S and ILB, that would also be welcome.

The offense needs a top flight OL, though, because that alone, assuming the skill players and Luck remain healthy, will mean that the Colts should always be in every game (also assuming good offensive game planning).

Thus priority must be OL, followed by defense.

I would love if we could snag Kelechi Osemele in FA and Nick Martin in the draft. Osemele would fit as LG and also backup at LT (which he's proved he can do) and Martin would start at C. Put Mewhort on the right side (his skill set is that of an elite pass blocking RG anyways imo). Thornton, Holmes, and Good as the depth. 

12 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

OL remains and should have been amongst the top priorities since 2009.  Good might have the potential to fulfill the RT position, but that remains to be seen.  In other words, the team is still in need of a stud OG, a stud C, and a stud OT, unless Good develops into that RT.   Thus, the OL should remain a priority, followed by defense.

Including AC, that would be 4 studs across the oline.  Can't be done.  Salary cap and the 53 man roster prevents it.  Add those there, and you lose the ability to have enough studs elsewhere, like at pass rusher, which means you go 9-7 or 10-6 at best.

I'm not quite ready to give up on Thornton to tell ya the truth given his high upside. That don't mean leave RG alone completely but if the talent in the draft is available when we draft and we DONT just try to fill needs (Because that just stupid...That's how Tim Tebow found his way into becoming a 1st round pick)then you take the talent, If not then you draft according to your board or trade down.

Just now, DougDew said:

Including AC, that would be 4 studs across the oline.  Can't be done.  Salary cap and the 53 man roster prevents it.  Add those there, and you lose the ability to have enough studs elsewhere, like at pass rusher, which means you go 9-7 or 10-6.

What do you mean can't be done?  You draft them!  Nail the talent in the draft.  I agree that it likely can't all be accomplished in one year, that pretty much goes without saying.  What I was doing was identifying the positions I think we need to draft stud young talent at, and I agree with the O.P. that priority ought to be the OL.

2 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

What do you mean can't be done?  You draft them!  Nail the talent in the draft.  I agree that it likely can't all be accomplished in one year, that pretty much goes without saying.  What I was doing was identifying the positions I think we need to draft stud young talent at, and I agree with the O.P. that priority ought to be the OL.

if you draft or sign high enough to make the line full of studs, it keeps you from putting studs at other positions.  The NFL has its cap and roster set in such a way that no team can have studs everywhere and it must prioritize. 

58 minutes ago, buck_hunter21 said:

I'm sure Grigs has other plans....like using our top pick on a WR. Always a great call. /

Other plans like finding a new job. Or managing McDonalds. But he'd end up fired from McDonalds too for hiring bums off the streets.

10 minutes ago, rockywoj said:

Also for the record, the Manning Colts went 12-4 a record number of years because of the O.   Having the O will always put you into position.  Succeeding in getting a D to go along with it will bring you championships.  

Dude, Saturday was an UDFA and Manning's best Gs were Jake Scott, a 5th round pick and Dylan Gandy, a 4th round pick.  The O worked with average talent at the interior oline positions.

9 minutes ago, DougDew said:

Including AC, that would be 4 studs across the oline.  Can't be done.  Salary cap and the 53 man roster prevents it.  Add those there, and you lose the ability to have enough studs elsewhere, like at pass rusher, which means you go 9-7 or 10-6 at best.

Usually I'd agree with your angle on this but we are in a very unique spot with our roster and cap.  2012 and 13 classes haven't panned out to require much cash to re-sign.  We really need to draft defensive playmakers if we are ever going to get them....and we have the money to spend on something...so I wouldn't hesitate to spend it on the OL in free agency.  All that really matters at this point is that we don't mortgage ourselves thru free agency into contracts that tie us up more than 2 years ahead...

The only teams that truly lose in free agency are the ones that tie up so much of their cap in dead money on players that didn't work beyond year 2 of their deals. 

Well it seems pretty simple to fix our line. We're set at LT and LG. And we're ok at RT. Reitz is above average IMO. Not great, but he's not a terrible option if we're set at every other position. So we should sign Osemele and Wisnewski for RG and C and there ya go. Really good OL.

Castanzo-Mewhort-Wisnewski-Osemele-Reitz.

Backups - Good, Thornton, Holmes, Draft Pick (5th round T)

And actually I would probably get rid of  both Harrison and Holmes and sign a cheep backup Center too.

45 minutes ago, MPStack said:

Exactly! Fix the weakest position through free agency(spend big) and draft best available unless its a WR. With that being said, I would go all out on either Kelechi Osemele or Von Miller. Personally, I like Osemele`s versatility to play guard or tackle.  

We could sign both.

7 minutes ago, MPStack said:

I don't understand why it makes sense to sign free agents based on need but not draft based on need. 

We do need a C and probably a G, too. I think the order of needs is more like...

1. Corner

2. Edge Rusher

3. Center

4. OG

5. another Edge Rusher

It should go without saying that BPA should determine who we draft. 

Replacing Toler takes the top spot for me.

I might be in the minority as someone who thinks that Mathis has at least one very good season ahead of him, but it doesn't really change my thinking on picking up a couple capable edge guys.

There are other needs than the ones I've listed, but those are the ones that I'll spend the most time thinking about if I get the GM job.