Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

1st priority: Offensive linemen

oldunclemark

1 hour ago, rockywoj said:

Also for the record, the Manning Colts went 12-4 a record number of years because of the O.   Having the O will always put you into position.  Succeeding in getting a D to go along with it will bring you championships.  

And then they usually got bounced in the playoffs

1 minute ago, BOTT said:

And then they usually got bounced in the playoffs

They won one Super Bowl, got to two, made numerous conference championships, and had more wins than any team in a decade EVER.  Point being, they were always in a position to win, because of the offense.  

By shoring up the OL, they would arguably again always be right there like they were in 2014 and like they were almost every year during the Manning era.  During this Luck era, however, they will hopefully pair a stout defense to go with the always keep you in the game offense.  

Oh, and just for the record, most teams usually get bounced from the playoffs.   Even the ever worshipped Patriots.

7 minutes ago, BOTT said:

That doesn't mean you shouldn't strive to have one.  I think most would settle for a good one.

In real football, they make you make choices and tradeoffs.

What positions do you want the Colts to not find studs at?

1 minute ago, rockywoj said:

They won one Super Bowl, got to two, made numerous conference championships, and had more wins than any team in a decade EVER.  Point being, they were always in a position to win, because of the offense.  

By shoring up the OL, they would arguably again always be right there like they were in 2014 and like they were almost every year during the Manning era.  During this Luck era, however, they will hopefully pair a stout defense to go with the always keep you in the game offense.  

Oh, and just for the record, most teams usually get bounced from the playoffs.   Even the ever worshipped Patriots.

I thinks it fair to say they often they under performed in the playoffs when you compare it to the regular season.  Despite the success, I was never a fan of the way they were built.

1 hour ago, DougDew said:

Dude, Saturday was an UDFA and Manning's best Gs were Jake Scott, a 5th round pick and Dylan Gandy, a 4th round pick.  The O worked with average talent at the interior oline positions.

The line was a very good line for the first two thirds of the 2000s.   Sure, no doubt they were coached up by their legendary OL coach and benefactors of scheme ... and sure some of the talent, if not most, came from mid round picks and FAs, but so what?   I don't care where or how the players are acquired.  It only matters that they ARE acquired, one way or another.   I identified the positions of need. Where from or what draft round the talent is acquired from does nor matter.   

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

What do you sacrifice in terms of drafting or FA money if you can't get studs everywhere?

Nobody is expecting studs everywhere.

I don't put a lot of stock in receivers and running backs.  Two positions Grigson has unnecessarily spent first round picks on.  I assume this is what you were getting at.  I could live with the Oline being below average for a time if he was actually getting difference makers at other positions....he's not.

4 minutes ago, BOTT said:

I thinks it fair to say they often they under performed in the playoffs when you compare it to the regular season.  Despite the success, I was never a fan of the way they were built.

You might call it under performed, I might call it "upset" / the "any given Sunday" dynamic.

The Colts have been my team since 1966 and I suffered through a very VERY long period of the team not even realistically contending for a playoff spot, never mind being in the playoffs almost every year with a very real shot to get to the Super Bowl every year.  I LIKE having my team almost always in the playoffs with realistic hope that this might be the year.   To me it sounds like a lot of people on these forum have little to no historical perspective to understand how amazing Colts fans have had it.  Take last year as an example ... they made the conference championship, AGAIN!  Just one game away from being in their 3rd Super Bowl in 9 years.   A LOT of fans in a LOT of cities would kill for that success.  I don't take such things for granted, as there is SUCH a thin line between winning and losing, a fact that it seems most fans don't understand.  Ergo, I yearn to have a team that will perpetually be so very close to being able to win it all, as we had during the Manning era. 

I recognize that that the Colts need a much better in the clutch defense, but solidify the OL, and the Colts will be right there, ready to win it all when the D shows up.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Nobody is expecting studs everywhere.

I don't put a lot of stock in receivers and running backs.  Two positions Grigson has unnecessarily spent first round picks on.  I assume this is what you were getting at.  I could live with the Oline being below average for a time if he was actually getting difference makers at other positions....he's not.

This isn't a judge Grigson thread....as you turn every thread into one.

If we don't have difference makers at important positions, then maybe we should get some.  Its hard to find a difference making Guard, since I don't think they exist.

15 minutes ago, DougDew said:

This isn't a judge Grigson thread....as you turn every thread into one.

If we don't have difference makers at important positions, then maybe we should get some.  Its hard to find a difference making Guard, since I don't think they exist.

Well, I just figured that's where you were going with it when you asked your silly questions.

the rest of your response was just poop.

2 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Well, I just figured that's where you were going with it when you asked your silly questions.

the rest of your response was just poop.

I'm not going anywhere with it.  I was wondering what positions should be sacrificed to draft studs on the oline...still waiting on that. 

I'm looking forward to your next nonresponse.. 

3 minutes ago, DougDew said:

I'm not going anywhere with it.  I was wondering what positions should be sacrificed to draft studs on the oline...still waiting on that. 

I'm looking forward to your next nonresponse.. 

Oh good god. You are just trying to be annoying.  Stop already.  Go back to making ridiculous post about racism.

i will no longer responds to your silliness.  I'm sure you will live.....

3 minutes ago, BOTT said:

Oh good god. You are just trying to be annoying.  Stop already.  Go back to making ridiculous post about racism.

i will no longer responds to your silliness.  I'm sure you will live.....

So what position would you sacrifice to get studs all along the line?  You admitted that you have to make choices and tradeoffs...what are they?

Luck needs to load up on extra pads to protect his ribs, get rid of the ball quicker, throw it away when there is nothing there, throw it to the ground if you are about to be sacked, ....all of the little things that keep you alive that he never does.  After all,  Romo was injured twice and he has the best/2nd best line in the NFL.   

4 hours ago, buck_hunter21 said:

I'm sure Grigs has other plans....like using our top pick on a WR. Always a great call. /

Grigson gonna draft a QB,  lol he is the best talent on the board and we need a better back up rather than fix the oline