Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

So we sign a DE?!?!

GoDeep

We have 2 of the best in the league, but after that???? Besides, he'll play inside most of the time.

We have Jerry Hughes, Keyunta Dawson, and if he plays DE this year, Eric Foster. We have 2 all star starters, plus good depth. He's an okay player, but a waste of a roster spot.

Camp body. Nothing to see here.

..... Camp body?? the guy was a former 1st round pick and he's 25... This guy could definitely be something... i could tell you one thing i would much rather him being in substitution and Eric foster... fili moala and antonio come out then jamal and drake come in... BAM!! you got your line right there.

At best, he's a rich man's Raheem Brock. I can live with that potential on a one year deal. He might not make the team, and I'm fine with that possibility too.

In all likelihood, I think he'll play the same role Brock did in preseason and see where he fits in from there. He's a potentially rotational end/tackle who at least offers versatility.

..... Camp body?? the guy was a former 1st round pick and he's 25... This guy could definitely be something... i could tell you one thing i would much rather him being in substitution and Eric foster... fili moala and antonio come out then jamal and drake come in... BAM!! you got your line right there.

I was reading some more on him, and there's definitely potential. He's not the pass rusher he was projected to be coming out, but he's got great size and there's some talent in there somewhere. I could see him being a hybrid five-tech, inside on passing downs, outside on early rushing downs, like Raheem Brock. Maybe a third tackle on the goal line. Could be a steal, and it would be great to see him become a big time player.

But he's not the tackle everyone has been screaming for, nor was he intended to be.

He will play DT for us and may go to DE to give freeny and mathis a break. I think he could play well for us if he starts working a little harder. As far as everyone talking about him being a replacement from some of our linemen I'm glad we got rid of them have we had great DT's the past few years??? The answer is no we have to take chances b/c what we are one of the worst teams in the league against the run so give the guy a chance.

I was reading some more on him, and there's definitely potential. He's not the pass rusher he was projected to be coming out, but he's got great size and there's some talent in there somewhere. I could see him being a hybrid five-tech, inside on passing downs, outside on early rushing downs, like Raheem Brock. Maybe a third tackle on the goal line. Could be a steal, and it would be great to see him become a big time player.

But he's not the tackle everyone has been screaming for, nor was he intended to be.

+1 If he was really cheap I like this pickup

He only started 3 games for Atlanta last year, but managed 21 tackles and 2 sacks during that span. He is also very disruptive against the run. He's being signed as a tackle, but could play Defensive End on running downs.

That's the part Colts fans seem to miss like a group of mouth-breathers:

"We have Freeney and Mathis already!@!@!@!!11!!11"

That's true, and they are awful on running downs. A guy like this (or like Clayborn or Bowers, who I was hoping we'd snag in round 2), allows Frathis to take a seat until obvious passing downs. Then, being a strong, fast, 290 pounder means he can play DT on passing downs to give us an inside presence against the pocket.

This guy was signed to play.

hes been a bust with the falcons

I wouldn't say he has been a bust, he just hasn't lived up to the expectations of being picked 8th overall. He has been a decent player for them.

For those concerned that he is listed as DE, he has also played DT and is a better run stuffer than he is a pass rusher. That's exactly what we need, a run stuffing DT

I wouldn't say he has been a bust, he just hasn't lived up to the expectations of being picked 8th overall. He has been a decent player for them.

For those concerned that he is listed as DE, he has also played DT and is a better run stuffer than he is a pass rusher. That's exactly what we need, a run stuffing DT

Yeah, from what was being said on Sirius NFL radio today, this is more of a DT than a DE and he's a run stopper, so we have a nice solid middle (hopefully) and someone with enough strength and reach to distract two linemen. Should help free up the DEs.

True tbh i think this guy is gonna be a great steal for the colts, idk much about him myself but sometimes players just need to come on the right team with the right players... i think he'll be motivated.... hopefully.

Prolly gonna put him in at DT on passing downs and hope he can get some pressure.

Sure, it's not going to happen, and an audible to a run play is most likely going to fry us for it, but come on.... Did you really expect us to put a true force in the middle of our D line to give Freeney and Mathis some help?

Prolly gonna put him in at DT on passing downs and hope he can get some pressure.

Sure, it's not going to happen, and an audible to a run play is most likely going to fry us for it, but come on.... Did you really expect us to put a true force in the middle of our D line to give Freeney and Mathis some help?

drinky time lol .

We have Jerry Hughes, Keyunta Dawson, and if he plays DE this year, Eric Foster. We have 2 all star starters, plus good depth. He's an okay player, but a waste of a roster spot.

A waste of a roster spot? They only have, um, like 90 of them... so I think they have enough to go around.

As most have said, he looks to be another DT prospect. Personally, I'd like to think a guy with that range, if smart enough, can disrupt passes by going vertical. Freeney and Mathis bring pressure outside, forcing the QB to step up in the pocket... he goes to throw, and... the tall guy jumps up and bats it down.

To me, if we still have Teerlink, and he can reach this guy, we may have a stud. Being the 8th overall pick in that draft, that tells you he has a certain set of physical skills. But as has been said, that hasn't yet presented itself in the league. Maybe 'link can get it out of him... maybe not. It's definitely an option worth looking into.