Indianapolis Colts
Indianapolis Colts Fan Forum

Manziel loses his starting job for being a knucklehead. .... again

jvan1973

If Manziel is an alcoholic, and that's what the signs are pointing to, then this is NOT a "between the ears" or "*" issue.

It's not like a smart guy would get it and a dumb guy wouldn't. That's not the way alcoholism works.........

You also have to admit and want help. They're plenty of addicts who manage their addictions, but you have to want it fixed first. That is IF he is an alcoholic. I don't know him, I don't know if c that's the case or not

If Manziel is an alcoholic, and that's what the signs are pointing to, then this is NOT a "between the ears" or "*" issue.

It's not like a smart guy would get it and a dumb guy wouldn't. That's not the way alcoholism works.........

I get your point. But drinking in front of a camera rolling while your team is practically begging you to not drink, or do anything stupid, isn't exactly a smart thing to do.

You also have to admit and want help. They're plenty of addicts who manage their addictions, but you have to want it fixed first. That is IF he is an alcoholic. I don't know him, I don't know if c that's the case or not

Either way, Maziel has no business being an NFL QB if his team cannot rely on him. It's amazing to me. I guess he really has a hard time determining the fact that the position he holds as an NFL QB, which is very rare in this world, can coincide with all the antics of his past, present, and future. I just don't get it. Maybe he does ... in an unrealistic privileged kind of way.

IF he's not, and they're treating him like he is -- benching him for drinking -- that's a little unfair, IMO. But it would seem like he'd just not drink if he knew that was the standard he's being held to.

IF he's not, and they're treating him like he is -- benching him for drinking -- that's a little unfair, IMO. But it would seem like he'd just not drink if he knew that was the standard he's being held to.

I think they probably told him to cool it, or they are moving on.

Manziel was in rehab, although I don't know the reason; it could have been alcohol or some emotional problem. He clearly is held to a certain standard. Maybe too much is expected of him, but he should realize that it's the way things are when you're a #1 draft pick in the NFL. He just doesn't seem to take his NFL career seriously.

I think they probably told him to cool it, or they are moving on.

If he knew they didn't want him to drink/party, and he did it anyway, then maybe he does have a problem with addiction. That's my nonprofessional opinion, of course.

But I think people have pegged him as an alcoholic because he went to rehab, but that's a leap in logic. I don't know why he went to rehab, and I don't know that abstinence from alcohol is part of his treatment. 

If he knew they didn't want him to drink/party, and he did it anyway, then maybe he does have a problem with addiction. That's my nonprofessional opinion, of course.

But I think people have pegged him as an alcoholic because he went to rehab, but that's a leap in logic. I don't know why he went to rehab, and I don't know that abstinence from alcohol is part of his treatment.

Abstinence from alcohol is part of any addiction treatment.

The Browns traded up to draft this guy in the first round due to years of QB mediocrity and they won't even put him on the field? I don't get it. He likes to party, that's who he is, the Browns should have known this long before they decided to draft him. I'm not a Manziel fan, but I just don't get why they don't give him a chance when they have invested so much in him. It makes no sense from an organizational standpoint.

Manziel makes a promise to the Browns not to be an embarrassment during the Bye and was anyhow. It's clear that Manziel has a definite substance abuse problem because he just doesn't get it. This is a guy who spent the offseason in rehab. Why is he even drinking to begin with? Sounds like rehab didn't work...

Its sad..He had the job...His team was behind him..

..and there's the incident with the girlfriend and now partying with the booze and the honeys.

I have to agree with most here. He cant help it. He cant stop.

The fact that he willfully or uncontrollably went back to the behavior he was ordered/begged to stop..

..means he's got to move on..,,He's done with the Browns

Yeah, unfortunately for me I've been down that road. It's not easy and can't be fixed without complete commitment.

Didn't mean to personalize, was just saying that I don't know one way or the other. But makes sense.

Good for you to have come through it. 

Edit: I also wonder whether he's still in treatment. Not trying to excuse anything, I just think there are a lot of unknown facts. The Browns obviously have a lot more information than we do, and they're taking the stance they're taking, so... it's probably not relevant.

some people are just born to be i-d-i-o-t-s

I am glad we have Andrew! and not these other knucklehead young QB's.

so it's a problem when he dances, there's no alcohol or nothing proven in the video/photo but dancing. It's a problem when he does it, making him an *

But when NFL network shows that Gronk video of him partying after the super bowl loss it's acceptable? Come on man

so it's a problem when he dances, there's no alcohol or nothing proven in the video/photo but dancing. It's a problem when he does it, making him an *

But when NFL network shows that Gronk video of him partying after the super bowl loss it's acceptable? Come on man

QBs are held to a different standard than TEs.

Gronk also doesn't have a discipline history and a addiction history.

Take it from someone who lives in Texas. This kid has and always will be an entitled problem to society. It's just the way the Manziel's are. In the west and south Texas oilfield the mentality with that family is akin to that of a mob boss. Don't mess with the Manziel family or else...

The only reason you haven't heard 3/4ths of his high school shenanigans is because his family owns literally everything in his part of Texas.

This after Manziel was officially made starter this past week by Pettine. He promises Pettine he'd have a "quiet" weekend.

Stupidity at it's best.

That's my whole problem with this: Johnny has no idea what being a professional means & he embarrassed his owner & head coach. 

Clearly, Mr. Manziel will need a few more rounds of rehab before things change for the better. Substance abuse is not an easy obstacle to break the cycle of for some individuals. 

Huge difference. Johnny has an alcohol problem and has been in treatment + he's the face of the Browns and a QB. Gronk hasn't had any problems with alcohol that has got him in trouble and he isn't the face of the Patriots.

Gronk doesn't have a known drug problem.

He really has worn out his welcome with not just the Browns but with the NFL!

Exactly JPPT & if the Browns don't want you, how much lower can Johnny go? The 49ers? The Eagles? His NFL prospects look mighty grim now.  

I'm surprised Manziel wasn't partying with Aldon Smith. My bad. 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Thread of the Week

• Topics

• I don't understand this, so please explain.     This is how I see it based upon what we know.   By accounts, Purdy has played better than Jimmy G.  If you believe the training camp stories where the players were telling media and the coaches that Purdy was the real deal when he got a chance to play in TC, Purdy was good right away and need little actual development by NFL coaches.   If Lynch knew this would happen, why did he wait until the very last pick of the drat to select Purdy?  To say it wasn't luck, but rather skill and knowledge, you'd have to believe that...going into the draft... Lynch knew Purdy would be good (or else why pick him), and also knew that not one other team thought he would be good.    Not even good right away, but not even a good enough prospect to take a flyer on him at pick 249?  How do folks hold the GM player evaluation process in such high regard when its painfully obvious to me that no GM had a clue about how good Brock Purdy would be.  Sure, he benefits from Shanahan's system, but my goodness, his success is not THAT system dependent that some team would not have selected him in round 4, 5, 6, 7. with all of the comp picks added on as merely a prospect.  They all ignored Purdy.     GMs miss.  Both with picking busts and missing good players.  Why is pointing that out a negative?  We all know it.  And why does Ballard deserve to be shielded from it?
    • Maybe he needs lessons in how to manage his image and draft stock as the more he does this type of stuff, he could drop out of the Top 5 that his Dad feels he would go at. With 6 teams taking QBs this year, and 3 last year, in Round 1, the demand won't be as high and the supply will still be good enough. If his OL doesn't protect him well like during their losing streak, is he going to throw his OL under the bus next? I rarely see Deion or Shedeur taking ownership of their on the field issues or have the humility to say "it was my fault". They talk like they are in denial that a team could shellack them or they always lost to a team that they could have beat, that is the impression that I get, and it gets old.
    • No, why would I notice something like that?     No.  He may have said that, but that isn't the video I'm talking about.  There is a video of him in the draft room exactly at pick 53, looking at his draft board (we see his face so the board is unseen behind the camera)  looks around the room talking to the staff, and finally says, "lets go with the wide out".  Nothing about that suggests that he had that specific debate between those two players AP and JW, ahead of time to where it was a clear decision to take AP over JW the day before the draft.  Maybe you never saw that video.   Yes, everybody has the same info on the players.  All players are ranked as the top 250 prospects on all 32 teams' prospect board within a variance of about 5% throughout the ranking.  The difference is in how teams use the info that forms their actual draft boards.  So when Ballard says...and he just did in this presser...".Nobody has any idea how this stuff will play out"....he's talking about how no one GM (meaning himself) knows how all 31 GM are going to use the information.  He has absolutely no working knowledge that tells him a player isn't going to be sniped ahead of him, (See ATL trying to trade up for Latu) That's why he. and other GMs, have a GROUP of players they are comfortable taking at a certain slot.  It may work out to  where the highest ranked player within that group is still available, but that's not the same thing as "targeting that player"    Trading UP is the proof that a GMs targets a specific player, like CAR just did with Brooks at 46, Ballard previously did with JT at 41, and Grigsy did with TY at the end of round 2, etc.  There are examples all over the NFL where teams trade up to get players they targeted, but standing pat or trading down is not how they "target" a specific player.  That's where they settle for one of a group of players that they think will be there when they pick.  In round 1, they can better predict if a player will come to them, but not so much in round 2, 3, 4, etc.  The margin of error in their assessment of what other teams with do is just too big.  No, there is no proof that Ballard targets a mid round player by waiting for him...or trading down for him.  Its more likely that he picks the best player out of the group of players he will settle for.     You probably should adjust your understanding of the concept of GMs "targeting players" to what it actually is.  Its not easy, because their are a lot of paid talking heads in the media using the term wrongly, IMO.   Do you think teams wanting a top 10 LT (and which team would not even shuffle their oline or cap to accommodate) would pass on him through pick 77 because he was 3 years older than the typical college graduate, when LTs have careers that typically span 10 years or more?  It makes no sense that they would be hung up on that three years.   Before your time, a truly great GM, Bill Polian, took LB Rob Morris at pick 26 because he was a player who was thought to be able to start immediately and because it was a position of need.  At the first round presser, BP call RM, "overaged", because he was 24 or 5 coming off his mission from BYU.  Overaged by three years, and still took him in the first round because he "strongly thought" he was a player who could step in and fill a position of need right away.  He didn't wait until the third round because of concern about how old he would be years down the road when he had to think about a second contract.  So, yes, when teams think a player won't be able to step in and play well right away, they slide to the mid rounds.  Those are called "developmental players".   That was the Luck/Griffin year...and yes, pundits all over the place had him ranked as a third rounder.  Seems SEA had him ranked no differently than others on their draft board.    Again, the prospects are ranked similarly.  Who teams want to draft out of a grouping is obviously different.    The point being made by me...and Ballard...is that no GM knows what the other 31 GMs will do at any given moment....they don't know the other teams' draft boards.   But they all know the traits of the players and have similar ideas about what kind of prospect they will be, and whether or not they can play right away or take a season or two to earn a starting job.  That part of the evaluation is all the same amongst 32 teams, IMO.   Because they don't know what other teams will do, and don't know other teams draft boards is why why Frank was high fiving.  There was excitement  in getting the players they wanted, in that no other team took them or sniped them.  If they knew what other GMs were going to do, they would have known they would have gotten those players and it would be non suspenseful.    But. its possible that Ballard was way off in how he ranked his prospects compared to other teams back then, and everybody was excited when they didn't have to be.     And I'm not going to believe for a moment, that Ballard lets himself be some dullard blank canvas between the ears that won't make a pick until his HC draws him a picture of who to pick.  Especially on the defense and in every round.  Especially when he deliberates with only himself and then he's the one telling the others in the room "lets go with the wide out".  Sorry, not buying it.   Yes, that difference is what dictates their draft boards.  But, they all have the same knowledge of what the different player traits are.  They know which ones are fast, slow, twitchy, good balance, arm length, etc.  As the Raimann example, they all evaluate him as being a successful NFL LT.  His experience at a small school, weight (like Freeland), years as an olineman when he was a former TE, all weigh into their conclusion about how long they think it would take him to be a starter.  They all saw his traits and experience as not being worthy of a pick higher than 77, and they misjudged how quickly he learned the NFL game.    Same with Mathis, Saturday, Brady, Purdy, etc... all the teams know what these players traits are, and they all feed them through the same evaluation process, and that process misses players from time to time.  Contrast that thought with what I've been reading, that Ballard knew Raimann was good and dropped him only because of age, which means that better GMs like Polian, NE, and Lynch must have known those players would be what they would be....and knew that no other team figured it out so they waited.  To me, that makes no sense.  IMO, they all got lucky relative to how well they thought each player would play when they drafted them.   That's great.  And I sincerely hope that you've enjoyed your career.     But, I'm the kind of person that doesn't care about credentials.  I judge the content for what it says.   Thanks for staying calm.  
    • The secondary could use some help, but I don't think it will make or break the season.   Two things will make or break the season: One, can Richardson improve his accuracy and thread the needle on clutch 3rd and longs, and two, can he stay healthy?
    • Yeah, he is a sore loser. He can take that L and go home for the summer. He could have hurt someone with that 2nd throw, he threw it hard. 
  • Members

• w87r

w87r 14,247

Moderators
    • chad72

chad72 18,315

• DoubleE Colt

DoubleE Colt 341

• Flash7

Flash7 1,910

• Dingus McGirt

Dingus McGirt 3,608